|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amina do to calm down after her studying sessions with Thaya Jaan?
2. What has Amina agreed to do during her class's musical performance?
3. What does Thaya Jaan call Amina when they are preparing to leave the house?
4. What is the word Thaya Jaan has to define for Amina when he explains the meaning of the surah she is reading?
5. What does Soojin say will be different about her when she returns to school the following Monday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily say about the smell of Soojin's food in the opening of Chapter 9, and why is Amina surprised?
2. What is the problem Amina faces with regard to attending the carnival?
3. What does Thaya Jaan say about music and what is Baba's reaction?
4. What does Emily reveal about her family that makes Amina realize Emily's family is not as perfect as Amina had believed?
5. What is the scenario that Amina considers will be her life if Soojin and Emily never forgive her?
6. What is the punishment Baba gives Mustafa for being out too late, and what role does Thaya Jaan play in that punishment?
7. Why does Amina tell Bradley that Emily likes Justin?
8. What is the comparison Amina makes to the leaves on the playground, and why does she feel this way?
9. Where does Mama decide to go the morning the Islamic Center is vandalized? What prompts her to make this decision?
10. What is the conversation Amina overhears between Imam Malik and Mustafa during the break in Sunday School? What is Amina's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Baba defer to Thaya Jaan? What is Baba's reaction when Thaya Jaan says Amina's music goes against their religion? What are some of the other issues about which they disagree?
Essay Topic 2
What is Baba's punishment when Mustafa comes home late from a basketball game? Why does he say he is being this lenient on Mustafa? What does this say about each of the characters involved, including Amina?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Amina dread participating in the Quran recitation competition? What makes her change her mind? Does Amina's reaction seem reasonable for the circumstances?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)