|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this event bad news for Amina?
2. What does Amina do when Soojin and Emily go to class angry with her?
3. What is the word Thaya Jaan has to define for Amina when he explains the meaning of the surah she is reading?
4. How does Amina first learn of the extent of the damage at the Islamic Center?
5. What is the limiting factor when Amina wants to ask Thaya Jaan questions about the Quran during their study time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Amina's mood change after she hears Thaya Jaan's comment about music?
2. What is the punishment Baba gives Mustafa for being out too late, and what role does Thaya Jaan play in that punishment?
3. Describe the conversation Amina has with her Muslim friends the night of the dinner party to honor Thaya Jaan.
4. What is the secret Emily tells Soojin and why is Amina included in this conversation?
5. What does Emily say about the smell of Soojin's food in the opening of Chapter 9, and why is Amina surprised?
6. What does Amina expect Bradley to do with the information that Emily likes Justin, and why does she have this expectation?
7. What is the conversation Amina overhears between Imam Malik and Mustafa during the break in Sunday School? What is Amina's reaction?
8. Where does Mama decide to go the morning the Islamic Center is vandalized? What prompts her to make this decision?
9. What is Mama's reaction when Amina reveals Thaya Jaan's opinion of music?
10. What is the problem Amina faces with regard to attending the carnival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Amina is in the basement with others from the Islamic community, she feels a sense of contentment she had been missing since her argument with Soojin and Emily. What does Amina think her life could be like if Emily and Soojin never forgive her? Why does she dismiss this as impossible? From an outside perspective, could Amina be happy if she had no friends at school and depended only on her Muslim friends for friendship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Imam Malik? What is his role in Amina's life and in the lives of others of her community? What is his reaction when he catches Mustafa with some boys who are smoking, and what does this say about his relationship with Mustafa?
Essay Topic 3
List two examples of the importance of friendship. Include how the characters nurture their friendship and predict whether their friendship will last.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)