|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Amina when she played the role of John Hancock in a school play?
2. What does Mustafa discover in the refrigerator when he and Amina take the first of the dishes from the dining room?
3. What did Amina's mother consider when choosing Amina's name?
4. What does Amina say is the main reason she does not like Sunday School?
5. What is in the extra refrigerator in Soojin's kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meal the family has on the first night of Thaya Jaan's visit. Why does Amina feel guilty about her uneaten food?
2. Why is Amina reluctant to consider the possibility of being friends with Emily?
3. List Baba's actions and statements that indicate he is nervous.
4. Describe Soojin's treasure chest necklace, including why Amina gave it to her and why Amina wonders if Soojin will keep wearing it.
5. What is significant about Dahlia's appearance?
6. Why does Soojin say she might choose Susan as her new name, and what is Amina's reaction?
7. What is Soojin's reaction the first time Amina asks why Soojin is willing to be friends with Emily?
8. Describe the interaction that takes place when Soojin's grandfather greets Amina and Soojin.
9. What is the argument Mustafa and Baba have about the Quran competition?
10. Why is Soojin planning to change her name and what is Amina's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Emily approaches Amina and Soojin with an offer of friendship? How has Emily's life changed since the previous school year? What could explain this change?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mama's advice when Amina reveals her argument with Soojin and Emily? What does Amina do to try to correct the situation?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Soojin plan to change her name? Why does Amina hate the idea? What happens when the moment comes for Soojin to actually make the change?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)