|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily say is the only thing her mother can really cook?
(a) Peanut butter cookies.
(b) Fried chicken.
(c) Pot roast.
(d) Apple pie.
2. What does Amina do to calm down after her studying sessions with Thaya Jaan?
(a) Shoots baskets with Mustafa.
(b) Plays the piano.
(d) Goes for a run.
3. What does Thaya Jaan call Amina when they are preparing to leave the house?
(a) A baby.
(b) A canary.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A kitten.
4. What does Amina do when she sees Imam Malik talking to Mustafa in the hall during the Sunday School break?
(a) Joins them to listen.
(b) Hides and listens.
(c) Walks more slowly so she can listen.
(d) Pretends to be looking at a poster while she listens.
5. What is the limiting factor when Amina wants to ask Thaya Jaan questions about the Quran during their study time?
(a) She is too shy to ask him questions.
(b) He is not willing to explain what the verses mean.
(c) She does not have a strong Urdu vocabulary.
(d) He does not have a strong English vocabulary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bradley asks if Soojin and Emily have become best friends. What is Amina's reaction?
2. Why does Imam Malik say he has to tell Mustafa's parents about Mustafa's transgression?
3. What does Baba do when he hears Amina playing an Elvis song on the piano?
4. What is Emily's mother's profession?
5. What does Amina say to Bradley after revealing that Emily likes Justin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thaya Jaan say about music and what is Baba's reaction?
2. How and why does Amina's mood change after she hears Thaya Jaan's comment about music?
3. Thaya Jaan tells Amina the meaning of a passage from the Quran. Why does the meaning upset Amina?
4. What is the scenario that Amina considers will be her life if Soojin and Emily never forgive her?
5. What is the secret Emily tells Soojin and why is Amina included in this conversation?
6. What is the punishment Baba gives Mustafa for being out too late, and what role does Thaya Jaan play in that punishment?
7. What does Mama say when Amina reveals the fight she has had with Emily and Soojin?
8. Why does Amina tell Bradley that Emily likes Justin?
9. What is the conversation Amina overhears between Imam Malik and Mustafa during the break in Sunday School? What is Amina's reaction?
10. Where does Mama decide to go the morning the Islamic Center is vandalized? What prompts her to make this decision?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)