|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rabiya take from her brother's room?
(a) A CD.
(b) A video game.
(c) A book.
(d) Gum balls.
2. What does Baba say he expects of Amina and Mustafa while Thaya Jaan visits?
(a) That they speak only in Urdu.
(b) That they act perfectly.
(c) That they will attend mosque every evening.
(d) That they wear traditional Muslim clothing all the time.
3. What does Amina say is the main reason she does not like Sunday School?
(a) She hates wearing the traditional Muslim clothing.
(b) She has trouble with Arabic pronunciation.
(c) She grows bored with all the praying.
(d) She is always too hot or too cold.
4. What is the first thing Amina thinks as Thaya Jaan begins to lead the family in prayer time?
(a) That he can surely help her win the upcoming competition.
(b) That she is going to have trouble staying awake.
(c) That his pronunciation is no better than her own.
(d) That she got her musical talent from him.
5. What does Thaya Jaan do as they are leaving the airport that puts Amina at ease?
(a) Puts his arm around her shoulders.
(b) Says her cousins are eager for her to visit them.
(c) Announces he is going trick-or-treating with her.
(d) Sings a line from a lullaby she loved as a baby.
6. What are the two challenges Bradley throws into their social studies project?
(a) One of their oxen is sick and they lost their blankets during a river crossing.
(b) Soojin has broken her leg and ants got in their sugar.
(c) They have lost their map and Bradley is going hunting.
(d) Amina has cholera and their wagon wheel broke.
7. What is Mustafa's response when Baba announces that both Mustafa and Amina will participate in the Quran recitation competition?
(a) That he plans to win.
(b) That it will be awkward to recite in front of an audience.
(c) That he will refuse to go to Sunday School.
(d) That he and Amina will help each other.
8. What is the first name Emily suggests for Soojin?
9. How are Amina and Thaya Jaan related?
(a) Thaya Jaan is Amina's uncle.
(b) Thaya Jaan is Amina's cousin.
(c) Thaya Jaan is Amina's brother-in-law.
(d) Thaya Jaan is Amina's brother.
10. What does Soojin say about Emily's efforts at being friends?
(a) That she is planning some prank.
(b) That they should give her a chance.
(c) That she will soon get tired of spending time with them.
(d) That she only wants to be friends with Amina, not with Soojin.
11. What does Amina think about the appearance of Emily's eyes and nose?
(a) They are far too pale.
(b) They look like Amina's neighbor's cat.
(c) There is too much makeup.
(d) They are very pretty.
12. Soojin and Amina will work on their social studies project together. Who does Soojin invite to join them?
13. What does Amina usually say to teachers when they ask about Mustafa?
(a) That he is failing several classes.
(b) That they are not related.
(c) That he is fine.
(d) That he is making plans for medical school.
14. Why is Mama cooking lots of food prior to Thaya Jaan's arrival?
(a) Friends are coming over to discuss security for the mosque.
(b) So that she will have food available when she does not have time to cook.
(c) She is taking food to a local shelter.
(d) Mustafa is having his basketball team over for a cookout.
15. How are children divided into classes in Amina's Sunday School?
(a) By the status of their parents.
(b) By their knowledge of Arabic and the Quran.
(c) By age.
(d) By their family's country of origin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the lessons that Rabiya takes?
2. What are Mustafa and Yusuf playing when Amina's family visits Rabiya's family?
3. What are the adults discussing when Amina and Rabiya walk through the living room at Rabiya's house?
4. What does Amina like to do when they are out of school for snow?
5. What is Baba's response anytime Amina worries about being embarrassed in front of other people?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)