|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
Directions: Answer the question with a short answer.
1. What was the Anglo-Saxon form of the modern-day word "my," according to Mencken in Chapter 9.4?
2. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
3. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
4. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
5. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
Short Essay Questions
Directions: Answer the questions with a short paragraph.
1. What characterizes the differences between American and English usage of lower-class idioms?
This section contains 1,236 words|
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)