Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what newspaper does Mencken derive the story with which he opens Chapter 11.2?
2. To what do English writers usually ascribe the American custom of numbering and lettering streets?
3. Which phrase did Oliver Wendell Holmes use to describe the state of the person who makes use of slang?
4. Which of the following is the analogate to which Mencken compares the slang words overused by the ignorant?
5. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
Essay Topic 1
Part of the driving force behind the divergence of American from British, is what Americans rather distinctly desire to express in language, according to Mencken. Write an essay discussing these desires of which Mencken implicitly speaks. What is the American concerned with in his language? What obstacles in linguistic form can stand between him and his desires? What then happens to these obstacles? What happens to language overall? Are there any dangers in these tendencies? If so, what are they? What is the fundamental relationship between the desires of a populace and their linguistic form?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing the nature of the relationship between the "melting pot" of American immigrant assimilation and the nomenclature that permeates the country. What are the evident influences of foreign languages on American names? How are these names Americanized? What is the general tendency of American-speakers in the employment and application of names to places and people? To what degree are the various names Americanized? What is the cause of Americanization of names? What is its result and what does it indicate about the American spirit?
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay analyzing the Americanization of foreign names, as presented in The American Language. How are they Americanized? What characterizes the Americanization of surnames? What characterizes the Americanization of given names? What influences their Americanization? Why are they Americanized? What is lost by their Americanization? What is the result of this tendency to conformity?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)