|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is often used in England to designate a thoroughfare?
2. Mencken states that the "Meyers" are the "Smiths" of what country?
3. Which of the following is the analogate to which Mencken compares the slang words overused by the ignorant?
4. What military slang term refers to the sunburned necks of the Marines?
5. What is the longest list of spelling changes from English to American that Mencken gives in Chapter 8.1?
(a) The omission of a redundant -e.
(b) The change of diphthongs into plain words.
(c) The -or/-our distinction.
(d) Miscellaneous differences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the professor who advocates the assimilation and alteration of the spelling and accentuation of foreign words?
2. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
3. Who published a work in 1768 entitled "Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and Examples Concerning the Same, and an Enquiry into its Uses"?
4. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
5. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)