|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the longest list of spelling changes from English to American that Mencken gives in Chapter 8.1?
(a) The change of diphthongs into plain words.
(b) The -or/-our distinction.
(c) The omission of a redundant -e.
(d) Miscellaneous differences.
2. From what language is "gob" reputed to be derived in Chapter 11.2?
3. In what part of the country did the Irish attain to a "truly impressive political power before the first native-born generation of them had grown up" as Mencken states in Chapter 10.1?
(a) The Eastern cities.
(b) The Western cities.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) The Southeast.
4. For which voiceless consonant is the voiced "d" substituting with growing regularity, according to Mearns?
5. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
(a) The twentieth.
(b) The eighteenth.
(c) The seventeenth.
(d) The nineteenth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is "Des Moines" pronounced in American, according to Mencken?
2. In what does the American pronoun not necessarily agree with its noun?
3. What military slang term refers to the sunburned necks of the Marines?
4. What is the English equivalent of the American Main Street?
5. What was the Anglo-Saxon form of the modern-day word "my," according to Mencken in Chapter 9.4?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)