|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the movement towards the general vowel neutralization promise to do in the future, according to Mencken?
(a) Reduce the number of vowel sounds, but not the vowels themselves.
(b) Clarify the pronunciation of vowels.
(c) Dispose of many vowels.
(d) Create new vowels.
2. For what word does Mencken say "incidence" is commonly mistaken to be a synonym?
3. In what region of the United States are Spanish names corrupted, as Dutch names are in New York?
4. What was the Anglo-Saxon form of the modern-day word "my," according to Mencken in Chapter 9.4?
5. Who was responsible for the endowment to the Simplified Spelling Board?
(a) Andrew Carnegie.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Adrian Knox.
(d) Horace Hart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
2. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
3. How is "Des Moines" pronounced in American, according to Mencken?
4. Whom does Mencken quote as saying, at the beginning of Chapter 10.4, "Such a locality as 'the <i>corner of Avenue H and Twenty-third street,</I> is about as distinctly American as Algonquin and Iroquois names like <i>Mississippi</i> and <i>Saratoga</i>"?
5. To what does Mencken ascribe the inflection of English adjectives?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)