|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two letters did the American ethnologist McGee insist were his first name and should not be followed by periods?
2. Who was responsible for the endowment to the Simplified Spelling Board?
(a) Adrian Knox.
(b) Andrew Carnegie.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Horace Hart.
3. Which Americanized foreign loan-word in the common speech means, in its vulgar loaned form, "to prance or to walk consciously"?
4. Which of the following is not one of the minor differences Mencken lists in Chapter 8.7?
5. In what century did England replace the "i-sound" with the "oi-sound" in words such as "boy"?
(a) The seventeenth.
(b) The sixteenth.
(c) The eighteenth.
(d) The nineteenth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Anglo-Saxon form of the modern-day word "my," according to Mencken in Chapter 9.4?
2. Whose "gaping maw" often spoils an "apt and ingenious neologism," according to Mencken in Chapter 11.1?
3. What was the common, popular American slang word used for Germans during the First World War, according to Mencken?
4. To what does Mencken ascribe the inflection of English adjectives?
5. Mencken states that the "Meyers" are the "Smiths" of what country?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)