|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name is the Italian "Giuseppe" transformed into?
2. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
(c) Vowel accentuation.
3. Which organization produced a prospectus in 1913 that warned against extreme English conservatism in the spelling of foreign loan-words?
(a) British Literary Association.
(b) Society for Pure English.
(c) National Education Association.
(d) Simplified Spelling Board.
4. Whose "gaping maw" often spoils an "apt and ingenious neologism," according to Mencken in Chapter 11.1?
(a) The elite.
(b) The proletariat.
(c) The popular novelists.
(d) The popular journalists.
5. How many soldiers' names were presented to the House by Mr. Mondell in 1919?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
2. Lounsbury is reported as saying that, "The history of language, when looked at from the purely grammatical point of view, is little else than the history of" what?
3. Who published a work in 1768 entitled "Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and Examples Concerning the Same, and an Enquiry into its Uses"?
4. How many works does Mencken claim to have discovered covering the topic of American slang?
5. According to Mencken, the word "none" is a degenerate composition of what two words?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)