|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
(a) The religious.
(b) The political.
(c) The ethical.
(d) The patriotic.
2. Which of the following is the analogate to which Mencken compares the slang words overused by the ignorant?
3. To what does Mencken ascribe the inflection of English adjectives?
4. Which word do the English always place prior to the proper noun whereas Americans place it after, as Mencken reports at the end of Chapter 10.3?
5. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(c) Compromise for cheaper printing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase did Oliver Wendell Holmes use to describe the state of the person who makes use of slang?
2. What religious affiliation, commonly held in both countries, has had a larger influence on names in America than in England?
3. What is the English equivalent of the American Main Street?
4. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
5. Which case of the noun in English yet has an inflection at the time of Mencken's writing?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)