|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What spelling change is made from English to American in words such as "connection"?
(a) Conection to connection.
(b) Connexion to connection.
(c) Connectin to connection.
(d) Conexion to connection.
2. In what year did the National Education Association withdraw from the campaign for simplified spelling?
3. From what language is "gob" reputed to be derived in Chapter 11.2?
4. Which phrase did Oliver Wendell Holmes use to describe the state of the person who makes use of slang?
(a) Creative genius.
(b) Intellectual alacrity.
(c) Bumbling idiocy.
(d) Mental atrophy.
5. What sort of distinction frequently occurs between an adverb and its primary adjective?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the minor differences Mencken lists in Chapter 8.7?
2. Whose "gaping maw" often spoils an "apt and ingenious neologism," according to Mencken in Chapter 11.1?
3. To what do English writers usually ascribe the American custom of numbering and lettering streets?
4. In what year did Noah Webster die?
5. To how many in number does the comparative adjective relate?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)