Final Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what newspaper does Mencken derive the story with which he opens Chapter 11.2?
(a) The New York Tribune.
(b) The Los Angeles Times.
(c) The Baltimore Sun.
(d) The Boston Herald.
2. To what do English writers usually ascribe the American custom of numbering and lettering streets?
(c) A lack of wit.
(d) Poverty of invention.
3. Which phrase did Oliver Wendell Holmes use to describe the state of the person who makes use of slang?
(a) Creative genius.
(b) Bumbling idiocy.
(c) Mental atrophy.
(d) Intellectual alacrity.
4. Which of the following is the analogate to which Mencken compares the slang words overused by the ignorant?
5. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
(a) Cultural encounters.
(c) Phonetic innovations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Americanized foreign loan-word in the common speech means, in its vulgar loaned form, "to prance or to walk consciously"?
2. According to Mencken, which of the following does "one American professor of English" predict will become a spelling form of the future?
3. What is the name of the professor who advocates the assimilation and alteration of the spelling and accentuation of foreign words?
4. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
5. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)