|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Noah Webster die?
2. Which of the following is often used in England to designate a thoroughfare?
3. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(b) Hong Kong.
(c) New England.
4. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
5. Mencken reports hearing of a German named "Knoche," who to avoid being called "Nokky," changed his name to what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the National Education Association withdraw from the campaign for simplified spelling?
2. According to Mencken, Italians often take the names of what nationality when they marry?
3. Over how many post offices does Mencken state bear the adjective "New"?
4. What spelling change is made from English to American in words such as "connection"?
5. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)