|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
(d) Vowel accentuation.
2. Which of the following does Wilcox not list as a negative treatment of the English language by grammarians?
(a) Excessive classification.
(b) Multiplication of terms for a single conception.
(c) Excessive revision.
(d) Excessive inflection.
3. According to Mencken, Italians often take the names of what nationality when they marry?
4. What was the original name of Brooklyn?
(a) Brook Lynne.
5. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
(a) The masses.
(b) The authors of fiction.
(c) The grammarians.
(d) The learned.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do English writers usually ascribe the American custom of numbering and lettering streets?
2. Which country does Mencken state has a fondness for using surnames as given names?
3. As what part of speech does vulgar American consider the word "self" within the spirit of the language?
4. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
5. Which phrase did Oliver Wendell Holmes use to describe the state of the person who makes use of slang?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)