|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which reporter first brings colloquial Americanisms to the written word, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.2?
(a) J.C. Neal.
(b) Ring W. Lardner.
(c) George Ade.
(d) Josh Billings.
2. Which of the following does names, used for a settlement, Mencken not list as bespattering the land?
3. What sort of distinction frequently occurs between an adverb and its primary adjective?
4. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
(a) Phonetic innovations.
(d) Cultural encounters.
5. Which of the following does Wilcox not list as a negative treatment of the English language by grammarians?
(a) Excessive revision.
(b) Multiplication of terms for a single conception.
(c) Excessive inflection.
(d) Excessive classification.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
2. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
3. From what newspaper does Mencken derive the story with which he opens Chapter 11.2?
4. According to Mencken, Italians often take the names of what nationality when they marry?
5. Which adjectival prefix does Mencken state is confined to the more sophisticated classes?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)