|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what do English writers usually ascribe the American custom of numbering and lettering streets?
(b) A lack of wit.
(c) Poverty of invention.
2. Who was responsible for the endowment to the Simplified Spelling Board?
(a) Adrian Knox.
(b) Andrew Carnegie.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Horace Hart.
3. What is the longest list of spelling changes from English to American that Mencken gives in Chapter 8.1?
(a) The omission of a redundant -e.
(b) The change of diphthongs into plain words.
(c) Miscellaneous differences.
(d) The -or/-our distinction.
4. What was the common, popular American slang word used for Germans during the First World War, according to Mencken?
5. What language does the formalism of English grammarians come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mencken quote as saying, at the beginning of Chapter 10.4, "Such a locality as 'the <i>corner of Avenue H and Twenty-third street,</I> is about as distinctly American as Algonquin and Iroquois names like <i>Mississippi</i> and <i>Saratoga</i>"?
2. In what year did Noah Webster die?
3. What does Mencken say that a proper understanding of words and their meanings will enable their speaker to do, in Chapter 11.1?
4. Who published a work in 1768 entitled "Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and Examples Concerning the Same, and an Enquiry into its Uses"?
5. Who does Mencken quote as saying, "There is no part of the world where nomenclature is so rich, poetical, humorous and picturesque as in the United States of America"?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)