|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "A Doll's House," who puts bad grammar into Nora Helmar's mouth?
2. What sort of distinction frequently occurs between an adverb and its primary adjective?
3. Which of the following does Mencken not list as a once-slang word turned into one commonly accepted?
4. Which reporter first brings colloquial Americanisms to the written word, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.2?
(a) George Ade.
(b) Ring W. Lardner.
(c) Josh Billings.
(d) J.C. Neal.
5. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the country did the Irish attain to a "truly impressive political power before the first native-born generation of them had grown up" as Mencken states in Chapter 10.1?
2. In which city are the French names of streets reported by Mencken to be beautiful but so barbarously pronounced as to be unrecognizable by a Frenchman?
3. Mencken reports hearing of a German named "Knoche," who to avoid being called "Nokky," changed his name to what?
4. Which of the following does Wilcox not list as a negative treatment of the English language by grammarians?
5. What military slang term refers to the sunburned necks of the Marines?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)