|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which nationality does Mencken claim is most eager to Americanize the names of their children?
(a) The Irish.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Jews.
2. What name is the Italian "Giuseppe" transformed into?
3. Mencken states that the "Meyers" are the "Smiths" of what country?
4. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
5. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
(a) The religious.
(b) The political.
(c) The ethical.
(d) The patriotic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
2. Which of the following is the analogate to which Mencken compares the slang words overused by the ignorant?
3. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
4. As what part of speech does vulgar American consider the word "self" within the spirit of the language?
5. Which word do the English always place prior to the proper noun whereas Americans place it after, as Mencken reports at the end of Chapter 10.3?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)