|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the original name of Brooklyn?
(a) Brook Lynne.
2. Over how many post offices does Mencken state bear the adjective "New"?
3. In what century did England replace the "i-sound" with the "oi-sound" in words such as "boy"?
(a) The sixteenth.
(b) The nineteenth.
(c) The eighteenth.
(d) The seventeenth.
4. What military slang term refers to the sunburned necks of the Marines?
5. Which phrase did Oliver Wendell Holmes use to describe the state of the person who makes use of slang?
(a) Creative genius.
(b) Mental atrophy.
(c) Bumbling idiocy.
(d) Intellectual alacrity.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which voiceless consonant is the voiced "d" substituting with growing regularity, according to Mearns?
2. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
3. Who was responsible for the endowment to the Simplified Spelling Board?
4. Who is apparently the first literary critic to point out the "enormous gap between the literate and unliterate American"?
5. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)