|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
2. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
3. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
4. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
5. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
(a) Translatability to British English.
(b) Disunity of regional dialects.
(c) Resistance to neologisms.
(d) Disregard of rule and precedent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
2. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
3. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
4. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
5. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the severity and conventional loyalty of grammarians influence those they attempt to educate?
2. How does Mencken characterize Shakespeare and what is the Bard's relevance on American English?
3. With what sort of distinctions is Chapter 7.2 principally concerned?
4. What is the relationship between the mean and nasty labor done in the United States and the desire of immigrants to change their names?
5. What characterizes the favorite slang phrases of the American soldier in World War I, according to Mencken?
6. What is the most common incorrect usage of the adjective in vulgar American?
7. What is indicated by dominance of American terms derived from German that are related to eating and drinking?
8. How is the advance of American spelling characterized in Chapter 8.3?
9. What is revealed by the attitudes of the English conservatives in Australia towards American spelling?
10. In Chapter 1.2, whom does Mencken identify as chiefly responsible for the inhibiting of an American dialect?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)