|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
(a) Vowel accentuation.
2. What military slang term refers to the sunburned necks of the Marines?
3. Which of the following does Wilcox not list as a negative treatment of the English language by grammarians?
(a) Excessive classification.
(b) Multiplication of terms for a single conception.
(c) Excessive revision.
(d) Excessive inflection.
4. Who is apparently the first literary critic to point out the "enormous gap between the literate and unliterate American"?
(a) I.A. Richards.
(b) Allen Tate.
(c) Francis Hackett.
(d) Rene Wellek.
5. Mencken states that the "Meyers" are the "Smiths" of what country?
6. How many works does Mencken claim to have discovered covering the topic of American slang?
7. Mencken reports hearing of a German named "Knoche," who to avoid being called "Nokky," changed his name to what?
8. For which voiceless consonant is the voiced "d" substituting with growing regularity, according to Mearns?
9. According to Mencken, Italians often take the names of what nationality when they marry?
10. For what word does Mencken say "incidence" is commonly mistaken to be a synonym?
11. According to Mencken, which of the following does "one American professor of English" predict will become a spelling form of the future?
12. What language does the formalism of English grammarians come from?
13. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(c) New England.
(d) Hong Kong.
14. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
(a) The twentieth.
(b) The seventeenth.
(c) The eighteenth.
(d) The nineteenth.
15. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(b) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(c) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(d) The New English Dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the "Vocabulary of the A.E.F.," what percentage of the American military vocabulary was at least somewhat indecent?
2. Who was the author of the couplet that Mencken quotes: "For thou art a girl as much brighter than her / As he was a poet sublimer than me"?
3. What religious affiliation, commonly held in both countries, has had a larger influence on names in America than in England?
4. In what century did England replace the "i-sound" with the "oi-sound" in words such as "boy"?
5. According to Mencken, the word "none" is a degenerate composition of what two words?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)