|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Territorial expansiveness.
(b) Regional diversity.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Political disharmony.
2. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
(a) A Maltin.
(b) A Collegiate.
(c) A University.
(d) A Cardinal.
3. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
4. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
(a) The normative "-ary" suffix.
(b) The normative "ch."
(c) The normative "o."
(d) The normative "a."
5. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
6. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
7. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
8. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
9. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
10. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To process.
(b) To advocate.
(c) To indulge.
(d) Free endorsement.
11. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
12. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
13. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
14. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) South America.
(b) North America.
15. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
2. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
3. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
4. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
5. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)