|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
2. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
3. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
4. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) Elementary school.
(b) Middle school.
(d) High school.
5. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who published a work in 1768 entitled "Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and Examples Concerning the Same, and an Enquiry into its Uses"?
2. For which voiceless consonant is the voiced "d" substituting with growing regularity, according to Mearns?
3. Over how many post offices does Mencken state bear the adjective "New"?
4. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
5. Whom does Mencken use to exemplify the flouting of linguistic purity in Chapter 6.1?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)