|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what was the French surname "Beauchamp" translated in America?
2. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
3. Over how many post offices does Mencken state bear the adjective "New"?
4. Who was responsible for the endowment to the Simplified Spelling Board?
(a) Horace Hart.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Adrian Knox.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
5. What word did the editor of the Westminster Gazette substitute for the incomprehensible dash in the mangled Americanism of Rupert Brooke?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers' names were presented to the House by Mr. Mondell in 1919?
2. Which of the following is the analogate to which Mencken compares the slang words overused by the ignorant?
3. Which nationality does Mencken claim is most eager to Americanize the names of their children?
4. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
5. According to Dr. Louise Pound, what do Latin plurals tend to become in colloquial American?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)