|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two letters did the American ethnologist McGee insist were his first name and should not be followed by periods?
2. What does Mencken say that a proper understanding of words and their meanings will enable their speaker to do, in Chapter 11.1?
(a) Mingle slang and proper speech effortlessly.
(b) Create new slang all the time.
(c) Alter the course of language.
(d) Speak without ever using slang.
3. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
4. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
5. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
Short Answer Questions
1. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
2. What is the name of the professor who advocates the assimilation and alteration of the spelling and accentuation of foreign words?
3. Who published a work in 1768 entitled "Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and Examples Concerning the Same, and an Enquiry into its Uses"?
4. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
5. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)