|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, how do the Americans consider the precise English use of the indefinite pronoun ("one")?
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) John Fiske.
(b) William Dean Howells.
(c) Samuel Elridge.
(d) Mark Twain.
3. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
4. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
(a) Adverbial modifiers.
(b) The subject noun(s).
(c) Verbs of action.
(d) Adjectival modifiers.
5. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
2. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
3. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
4. What is the English meaning of the phrase "to carry on"?
5. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)