|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what part of the country did the Irish attain to a "truly impressive political power before the first native-born generation of them had grown up" as Mencken states in Chapter 10.1?
(a) The Southeast.
(b) The Midwest.
(c) The Western cities.
(d) The Eastern cities.
2. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
3. As what part of speech does vulgar American consider the word "self" within the spirit of the language?
(a) An adverb.
(b) An adjective.
(c) A verb.
(d) A noun.
4. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The philological traditionalist.
(b) The teacher.
(c) The father.
(d) The erudite fool.
5. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Americanized foreign loan-word in the common speech means, in its vulgar loaned form, "to prance or to walk consciously"?
2. Which of the following does names, used for a settlement, Mencken not list as bespattering the land?
3. What was the original name of Brooklyn?
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)