|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
3. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
4. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
5. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the professor who advocates the assimilation and alteration of the spelling and accentuation of foreign words?
2. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
3. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
4. What is the universal substitute for the word "ye" as described in Chapter 6.2?
5. According to Dr. Louise Pound, what do Latin plurals tend to become in colloquial American?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)