|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Founding Father coined the term "to belittle"?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
2. Which of the following is the analogate to which Mencken compares the slang words overused by the ignorant?
3. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Transatlantic travel.
(b) Solidarity of higher education.
(c) American neo-classical tastes.
(d) Transatlantic communication.
4. What language did "ambassador," "ancestor," and "bachelor" come into English from?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
2. Which of the following is not one of the minor differences Mencken lists in Chapter 8.7?
3. What does Mencken say, in colloquial American, has obliterated the verb?
4. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
5. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)