|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
2. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
(d) Compromise for cheaper printing.
3. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
5. In what century did England replace the "i-sound" with the "oi-sound" in words such as "boy"?
(a) The eighteenth.
(b) The seventeenth.
(c) The sixteenth.
(d) The nineteenth.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
2. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
3. To what do English writers usually ascribe the American custom of numbering and lettering streets?
4. What ethnicity of people, through the influence of the mercantile class, is referred to by a different name in the United States than in England?
5. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)