|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers' names were presented to the House by Mr. Mondell in 1919?
2. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
(a) Broad o.
(b) Flat e.
(c) Broad a.
(d) Flat a.
3. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
4. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
5. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
2. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
3. What religious affiliation, commonly held in both countries, has had a larger influence on names in America than in England?
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
5. Which Founding Father coined the term "to belittle"?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)