|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
2. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
3. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
5. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is the Italian "Giuseppe" transformed into?
2. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
3. Which phrase did Oliver Wendell Holmes use to describe the state of the person who makes use of slang?
4. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
5. To what do English writers usually ascribe the American custom of numbering and lettering streets?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)