|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
2. Which of the following does names, used for a settlement, Mencken not list as bespattering the land?
3. Who does Mencken quote as saying, "There is no part of the world where nomenclature is so rich, poetical, humorous and picturesque as in the United States of America"?
(a) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) G.K. Chesterton.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
4. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
2. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. According to Mencken, how do the Americans consider the precise English use of the indefinite pronoun ("one")?
4. Whom does Mencken use to exemplify the flouting of linguistic purity in Chapter 6.1?
5. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)