|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dr. Louise Pound, what do Latin plurals tend to become in colloquial American?
(b) Singular nouns.
(c) Infinitive verbs.
(d) Adjectival modifiers.
2. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The father.
(b) The philological traditionalist.
(c) The teacher.
(d) The erudite fool.
3. What is the name of the professor who advocates the assimilation and alteration of the spelling and accentuation of foreign words?
(a) Louise Pound.
(b) Nora Helmar.
(c) Edmund Gosse.
(d) Brander Matthews.
4. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) North America.
(c) South America.
5. What does Mencken say, in colloquial American, has obliterated the verb?
(b) The auxiliary.
(c) Vulgar speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what was the French surname "Beauchamp" translated in America?
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
3. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
4. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
5. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)