|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
(a) The fashionable.
(b) The vulgar.
(c) The middle-class.
(d) The poor.
2. Which nationality does Mencken claim is most eager to Americanize the names of their children?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The Irish.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Jews.
3. Which organization produced a prospectus in 1913 that warned against extreme English conservatism in the spelling of foreign loan-words?
(a) Simplified Spelling Board.
(b) Society for Pure English.
(c) National Education Association.
(d) British Literary Association.
4. Which Founding Father coined the term "to belittle"?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
5. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
(b) Vowel accentuation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Mencken not list as a once-slang word turned into one commonly accepted?
2. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
5. What ethnicity of people, through the influence of the mercantile class, is referred to by a different name in the United States than in England?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)