|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(a) The Southeast.
(c) New England.
(d) The Midwest.
5. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Dry and prolonged.
(b) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(c) Racy and pungent.
(d) Flippant and pointless.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
2. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
3. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
4. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)