|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
2. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
5. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(b) The Southeast.
(c) New England.
(d) The Midwest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. What word did the editor of the Westminster Gazette substitute for the incomprehensible dash in the mangled Americanism of Rupert Brooke?
4. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
5. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)