|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mencken use to exemplify the flouting of linguistic purity in Chapter 6.1?
(d) Working men.
2. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
3. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
(a) The poor.
(b) The middle-class.
(c) The fashionable.
(d) The vulgar.
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Basil Hall.
(b) Charles Astor Bristed.
(c) Henry Alford.
(d) Louis Untermeyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
2. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
3. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
4. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
5. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)