|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
3. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
4. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) George Ade.
(b) Edgar Jepson.
(c) William Archer.
(d) Richard Aldington.
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) George Washington.
(b) John Hancock.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
2. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
3. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. What is the universal substitute for the word "ye" as described in Chapter 6.2?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)