|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Louis Untermeyer.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Basil Hall.
(d) Charles Astor Bristed.
4. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
5. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
2. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
3. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
4. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
5. Mencken describes the American language as having a "democratic enmity" to all what, in the beginning of Chapter 6.1?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)