|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Founding Father coined the term "to belittle"?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) James Madison.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
2. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Racy and pungent.
(b) Dry and prolonged.
(c) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(d) Flippant and pointless.
3. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
4. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
5. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
2. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
5. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)