|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Louis Untermeyer.
(c) Basil Hall.
(d) Henry Alford.
2. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
3. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
4. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
(a) Noah Webster.
(b) Richard Meade Bache.
(c) Frank H. Vizetelly.
(d) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
5. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
2. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
3. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)