|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Lack of a national literature.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Regional diversity.
4. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
5. According to Mencken, how do the Americans consider the precise English use of the indefinite pronoun ("one")?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
2. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
3. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
4. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)