|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
2. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(d) British idioms.
3. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) High school.
(b) Elementary school.
(d) Middle school.
4. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(a) Philological anomalies.
(c) The vulgate.
(d) Formal grammar.
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
2. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
3. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
4. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
5. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)