|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
3. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
4. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
5. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The First World War.
(d) The bombing of London.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, how do the Americans consider the precise English use of the indefinite pronoun ("one")?
2. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
3. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
4. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
5. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)