|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
(a) The broad "a."
(b) The recalcitrance to neologisms.
(c) Clinging to the silent "u" as in "honour."
(d) The literature of Fowler.
2. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
3. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
4. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
5. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The bombing of London.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
(d) The First World War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
3. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
4. Mencken describes the American language as having a "democratic enmity" to all what, in the beginning of Chapter 6.1?
5. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)