|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
2. Which Founding Father coined the term "to belittle"?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
3. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) Andrew Jackson.
(b) George Washington.
(c) James Monroe.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
5. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(a) British idioms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
2. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
3. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)