|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
2. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) George Washington.
(c) John Hancock.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Lack of a national literature.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Regional diversity.
(d) Political disharmony.
5. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
2. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
4. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
5. Mencken describes the American language as having a "democratic enmity" to all what, in the beginning of Chapter 6.1?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)