|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
(a) G.K. Chesterton.
(b) Joseph Conrad.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Cleveland Coxe.
3. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
(a) The middle-class.
(b) The vulgar.
(c) The fashionable.
(d) The poor.
4. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The jury.
(b) The barrister.
(c) The solicitor.
(d) The judge.
5. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
2. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
3. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
4. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
5. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)