|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
2. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
3. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Regional diversity.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, democratic government is essentially government by whom?
2. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
3. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
5. According to Mencken, how do the Americans consider the precise English use of the indefinite pronoun ("one")?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)