|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To indulge.
(b) Free endorsement.
(c) To advocate.
(d) To process.
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) John Hancock.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) George Washington.
4. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(b) The <i>Times</i>.
(c) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(d) The <i>Daily News</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
2. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
5. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)