|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) John Fiske.
(b) Samuel Elridge.
(c) William Dean Howells.
(d) Mark Twain.
3. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
4. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
5. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
3. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
5. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)