|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
2. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Lack of a national literature.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Regional diversity.
3. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
4. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
5. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
2. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
5. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)