|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
3. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
5. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To advocate.
(b) To indulge.
(c) To process.
(d) Free endorsement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
2. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
3. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
4. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)