|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Transatlantic travel.
(b) Transatlantic communication.
(c) Solidarity of higher education.
(d) American neo-classical tastes.
2. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
4. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) South America.
(d) North America.
5. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
2. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
3. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)