|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(a) Philological anomalies.
(b) The vulgate.
(c) Formal grammar.
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The father.
(b) The erudite fool.
(c) The teacher.
(d) The philological traditionalist.
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To indulge.
(b) To process.
(c) To advocate.
(d) Free endorsement.
5. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
2. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)