|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
2. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
3. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
4. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
2. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
3. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
4. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
5. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)