|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) John Hancock.
4. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
2. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
3. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
4. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)