|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(b) Formal grammar.
(c) The vulgate.
(d) Philological anomalies.
2. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(b) The <i>Times</i>.
(c) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(d) The <i>Daily News</i>.
4. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
2. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)