|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
(b) The First World War.
(c) The bombing of London.
(d) The French Revolution.
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
4. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) Andrew Jackson.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Washington.
(d) James Monroe.
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) William Archer.
(b) Richard Aldington.
(c) Edgar Jepson.
(d) George Ade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
2. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
3. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
5. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)