|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(b) South America.
2. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The teacher.
(b) The father.
(c) The erudite fool.
(d) The philological traditionalist.
3. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
4. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) William Archer.
(b) Edgar Jepson.
(c) George Ade.
(d) Richard Aldington.
5. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
(a) Flat a.
(b) Broad a.
(c) Broad o.
(d) Flat e.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)