|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) H.L. Mencken.
2. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(b) South America.
3. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
(a) Resistance to neologisms.
(b) Disunity of regional dialects.
(c) Disregard of rule and precedent.
(d) Translatability to British English.
4. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
5. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) American neo-classical tastes.
(b) Solidarity of higher education.
(c) Transatlantic travel.
(d) Transatlantic communication.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
2. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
3. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
4. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)