|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
2. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Solidarity of higher education.
(b) American neo-classical tastes.
(c) Transatlantic travel.
(d) Transatlantic communication.
3. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Regional diversity.
(c) Territorial expansiveness.
(d) Lack of a national literature.
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) John Hancock.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
4. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
5. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)