|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Flippant and pointless.
(b) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(c) Racy and pungent.
(d) Dry and prolonged.
2. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
3. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(d) New York.
4. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
5. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
2. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
4. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
5. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)