|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
3. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) Edgar Jepson.
(b) George Ade.
(c) William Archer.
(d) Richard Aldington.
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The teacher.
(b) The philological traditionalist.
(c) The erudite fool.
(d) The father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
2. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
3. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
4. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
5. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)