|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
2. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Regional diversity.
(c) Territorial expansiveness.
(d) Lack of a national literature.
3. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The teacher.
(b) The erudite fool.
(c) The philological traditionalist.
(d) The father.
4. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
5. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
3. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
4. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
5. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)