|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(a) New York.
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Noah Webster.
(b) Gouverneur Morris.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Richard Grant White.
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
2. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
3. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)