|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
2. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
3. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(d) South America.
4. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
2. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)