|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(c) North America.
(d) South America.
2. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
(a) Resistance to neologisms.
(b) Disregard of rule and precedent.
(c) Disunity of regional dialects.
(d) Translatability to British English.
3. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
Short Answer Questions
1. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
2. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
3. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
5. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)