|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Noah Webster.
(b) Richard Grant White.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Gouverneur Morris.
3. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
4. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) Edgar Jepson.
(b) William Archer.
(c) George Ade.
(d) Richard Aldington.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
2. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
3. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
4. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)