|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
2. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Hancock.
(d) George Washington.
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Gouverneur Morris.
(c) Richard Grant White.
(d) Noah Webster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
2. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)