|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
2. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
3. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) North America.
(c) South America.
4. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The First World War.
(b) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
(c) The bombing of London.
(d) The French Revolution.
5. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The father.
(b) The philological traditionalist.
(c) The teacher.
(d) The erudite fool.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
4. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)