|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
2. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
3. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
4. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(a) The vulgate.
(b) Philological anomalies.
(d) Formal grammar.
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) Richard Aldington.
(b) Edgar Jepson.
(c) George Ade.
(d) William Archer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
2. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
3. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
4. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
5. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)