|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) William Archer.
(b) Richard Aldington.
(c) George Ade.
(d) Edgar Jepson.
3. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(a) The vulgate.
(b) Philological anomalies.
(d) Formal grammar.
4. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
3. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
4. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
5. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)