|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Richard Grant White.
(d) Gouverneur Morris.
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
5. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) H.L. Mencken.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
2. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
3. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)