|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) William Dean Howells.
(c) Samuel Elridge.
(d) John Fiske.
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) H.L. Mencken.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Noah Webster.
5. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
2. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
3. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
4. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
5. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)