|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) H.L. Mencken.
(d) Noah Webster.
3. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The philological traditionalist.
(b) The teacher.
(c) The erudite fool.
(d) The father.
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
2. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
3. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
4. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
5. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)