|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) North America.
(c) South America.
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
(a) Disregard of rule and precedent.
(b) Disunity of regional dialects.
(c) Translatability to British English.
(d) Resistance to neologisms.
4. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
5. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The father.
(b) The philological traditionalist.
(c) The erudite fool.
(d) The teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
2. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
3. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
4. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)