|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) H.L. Mencken.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Flippant and pointless.
(b) Racy and pungent.
(c) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(d) Dry and prolonged.
4. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) William Archer.
(b) Richard Aldington.
(c) Edgar Jepson.
(d) George Ade.
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
2. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
3. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)