|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
3. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The teacher.
(b) The father.
(c) The erudite fool.
(d) The philological traditionalist.
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
2. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
3. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
5. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)