|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
(c) The bombing of London.
(d) The First World War.
2. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
(a) Translatability to British English.
(b) Disunity of regional dialects.
(c) Resistance to neologisms.
(d) Disregard of rule and precedent.
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
5. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Transatlantic travel.
(b) Solidarity of higher education.
(c) Transatlantic communication.
(d) American neo-classical tastes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
2. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
3. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
5. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)