|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) Samuel Elridge.
(b) William Dean Howells.
(c) John Fiske.
(d) Mark Twain.
2. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) Richard Aldington.
(b) Edgar Jepson.
(c) George Ade.
(d) William Archer.
3. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
4. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
5. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The philological traditionalist.
(b) The father.
(c) The erudite fool.
(d) The teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
2. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
5. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)