|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Richard Grant White.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Gouverneur Morris.
2. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
3. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The bombing of London.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The First World War.
(d) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
4. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Transatlantic travel.
(b) American neo-classical tastes.
(c) Solidarity of higher education.
(d) Transatlantic communication.
5. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) John Fiske.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Samuel Elridge.
(d) William Dean Howells.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
2. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
3. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
5. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)