|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To process.
(b) To advocate.
(c) To indulge.
(d) Free endorsement.
2. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) H.L. Mencken.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
3. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
4. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(b) Philological anomalies.
(c) Formal grammar.
(d) The vulgate.
5. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
3. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
4. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)