|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Hancock.
(d) George Washington.
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To advocate.
(b) To indulge.
(c) Free endorsement.
(d) To process.
3. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) William Archer.
(b) Edgar Jepson.
(c) George Ade.
(d) Richard Aldington.
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
2. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
3. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
4. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
5. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)