|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
2. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(b) Racy and pungent.
(c) Dry and prolonged.
(d) Flippant and pointless.
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) Samuel Elridge.
(b) John Fiske.
(c) William Dean Howells.
(d) Mark Twain.
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(b) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(c) The <i>Daily News</i>.
(d) The <i>Times</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
2. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
3. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
4. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
5. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)