|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To advocate.
(b) Free endorsement.
(c) To indulge.
(d) To process.
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) John Hancock.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(a) Philological anomalies.
(c) Formal grammar.
(d) The vulgate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
2. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
3. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
4. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)