|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Gouverneur Morris.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Richard Grant White.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
3. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) Free endorsement.
(b) To indulge.
(c) To advocate.
(d) To process.
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Hancock.
(d) George Washington.
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(b) The <i>Daily News</i>.
(c) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(d) The <i>Times</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
2. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
3. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)