|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
2. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The First World War.
(b) The bombing of London.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(b) The <i>Daily News</i>.
(c) The <i>Times</i>.
(d) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
4. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Racy and pungent.
(b) Dry and prolonged.
(c) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(d) Flippant and pointless.
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
2. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
3. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)