|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
2. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
(a) Disunity of regional dialects.
(b) Disregard of rule and precedent.
(c) Translatability to British English.
(d) Resistance to neologisms.
3. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The First World War.
(d) The bombing of London.
4. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) South America.
(d) North America.
5. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
2. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
3. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
5. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)