|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Noah Webster.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Richard Grant White.
(d) Gouverneur Morris.
3. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Transatlantic travel.
(b) American neo-classical tastes.
(c) Solidarity of higher education.
(d) Transatlantic communication.
4. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
2. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
3. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)