|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
3. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) H.L. Mencken.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(a) Formal grammar.
(c) The vulgate.
(d) Philological anomalies.
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
3. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
4. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
5. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)