|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Dry and prolonged.
(b) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(c) Flippant and pointless.
(d) Racy and pungent.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
3. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
4. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
5. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)