|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(c) South America.
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
3. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
4. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)