|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) South America.
(d) North America.
2. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Times</i>.
(b) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(c) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(d) The <i>Daily News</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
2. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
3. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
4. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)