Eight Week Quiz G
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which voiceless consonant is the voiced "d" substituting with growing regularity, according to Mearns?
2. How is "Des Moines" pronounced in American, according to Mencken?
3. What is the name of the professor who advocates the assimilation and alteration of the spelling and accentuation of foreign words?
(a) Edmund Gosse.
(b) Louise Pound.
(c) Nora Helmar.
(d) Brander Matthews.
4. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(a) New York.
5. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) John Fiske.
(b) William Dean Howells.
(c) Samuel Elridge.
(d) Mark Twain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is often used in England to designate a thoroughfare?
2. Which two letters did the American ethnologist McGee insist were his first name and should not be followed by periods?
3. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
4. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)