|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
2. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
(a) The seventeenth.
(b) The nineteenth.
(c) The twentieth.
(d) The eighteenth.
3. Mencken describes the American language as having a "democratic enmity" to all what, in the beginning of Chapter 6.1?
(a) Grammatical rules.
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Wilcox not list as a negative treatment of the English language by grammarians?
2. What is the name of the professor who advocates the assimilation and alteration of the spelling and accentuation of foreign words?
3. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)