Eight Week Quiz D
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.1 | Chapter 6.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
2. What is the English meaning of the phrase "to carry on"?
(a) To raise hell.
(b) To talk endlessly.
(c) To shoulder one's pack.
(d) To be on the job.
3. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
4. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
5. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The erudite fool.
(b) The philological traditionalist.
(c) The father.
(d) The teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, democratic government is essentially government by whom?
2. What word did the editor of the Westminster Gazette substitute for the incomprehensible dash in the mangled Americanism of Rupert Brooke?
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)