|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) High school.
(b) Elementary school.
(c) Middle school.
2. For what word does Mencken say "incidence" is commonly mistaken to be a synonym?
3. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
(b) Phonetic innovations.
(d) Cultural encounters.
4. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The judge.
(b) The barrister.
(c) The jury.
(d) The solicitor.
5. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what was the French surname "Beauchamp" translated in America?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
3. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
4. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
5. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)