|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
(b) Compromise for cheaper printing.
3. For what word does Mencken say "incidence" is commonly mistaken to be a synonym?
4. What does the movement towards the general vowel neutralization promise to do in the future, according to Mencken?
(a) Dispose of many vowels.
(b) Reduce the number of vowel sounds, but not the vowels themselves.
(c) Clarify the pronunciation of vowels.
(d) Create new vowels.
5. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mencken ascribe the inflection of English adjectives?
2. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
3. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
4. What word did the editor of the Westminster Gazette substitute for the incomprehensible dash in the mangled Americanism of Rupert Brooke?
5. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)