|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(d) The Honorable.
2. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Lack of a national literature.
(b) Regional diversity.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
4. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Henry Alford.
(b) Basil Hall.
(c) Louis Untermeyer.
(d) Charles Astor Bristed.
5. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(a) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
(c) Russian Jews.
(d) Slavic peoples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
2. What does the movement towards the general vowel neutralization promise to do in the future, according to Mencken?
3. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)