|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
2. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
3. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Gouverneur Morris.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Richard Grant White.
(d) Noah Webster.
4. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
5. Who is apparently the first literary critic to point out the "enormous gap between the literate and unliterate American"?
(a) Francis Hackett.
(b) I.A. Richards.
(c) Rene Wellek.
(d) Allen Tate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
2. What language does the formalism of English grammarians come from?
3. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
4. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
5. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)