|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
2. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
3. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
4. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
(a) The ethical.
(b) The religious.
(c) The political.
(d) The patriotic.
5. For which voiceless consonant is the voiced "d" substituting with growing regularity, according to Mearns?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
2. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
3. How many soldiers' names were presented to the House by Mr. Mondell in 1919?
4. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
5. What does the movement towards the general vowel neutralization promise to do in the future, according to Mencken?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)