|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
3. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
4. What is the English meaning of the phrase "to carry on"?
(a) To talk endlessly.
(b) To be on the job.
(c) To raise hell.
(d) To shoulder one's pack.
5. In what parts of language does Mencken say the "chief grammatical peculiarities" of spoken English are found?
(a) Nouns and participles.
(b) Verbs and pronouns.
(c) Adverbs and adjectives.
(d) Nouns and prepositions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
2. According to Mencken, Italians often take the names of what nationality when they marry?
3. According to the study of E.J. Hills, how many descriptive adjectives are possessed by the average child of two?
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. Into what was the French surname "Beauchamp" translated in America?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)