|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
(a) The masses.
(b) The grammarians.
(c) The learned.
(d) The authors of fiction.
2. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
3. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
(c) South African.
4. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
5. How many soldiers' names were presented to the House by Mr. Mondell in 1919?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
2. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
3. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
4. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
5. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
This section contains 173 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)