|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Founding Father coined the term "to belittle"?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) James Madison.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
2. To what does Mencken ascribe the inflection of English adjectives?
3. What does Mencken say, in colloquial American, has obliterated the verb?
(b) The auxiliary.
(d) Vulgar speech.
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. Which of the following is not one of the minor differences Mencken lists in Chapter 8.7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the movement towards the general vowel neutralization promise to do in the future, according to Mencken?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
3. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
4. For which voiceless consonant is the voiced "d" substituting with growing regularity, according to Mearns?
5. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)