|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Basil Hall.
(b) Charles Astor Bristed.
(c) Henry Alford.
(d) Louis Untermeyer.
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Gouverneur Morris.
(b) Richard Grant White.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Noah Webster.
3. Which reporter first brings colloquial Americanisms to the written word, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.2?
(a) J.C. Neal.
(b) Josh Billings.
(c) George Ade.
(d) Ring W. Lardner.
4. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
5. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
2. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
5. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)