|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, Italians often take the names of what nationality when they marry?
2. In what century did England replace the "i-sound" with the "oi-sound" in words such as "boy"?
(a) The eighteenth.
(b) The sixteenth.
(c) The nineteenth.
(d) The seventeenth.
3. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
4. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
5. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
2. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
3. Which case of the noun in English yet has an inflection at the time of Mencken's writing?
4. Mencken reports hearing of a German named "Knoche," who to avoid being called "Nokky," changed his name to what?
5. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)