|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(a) Slavic peoples.
(b) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
(d) Russian Jews.
2. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
(a) The normative "ch."
(b) The normative "a."
(c) The normative "-ary" suffix.
(d) The normative "o."
3. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
(a) G.K. Chesterton.
(b) Cleveland Coxe.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Joseph Conrad.
4. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(a) The Southeast.
(b) New England.
(d) The Midwest.
5. To how many in number does the comparative adjective relate?
(a) Five or more.
(c) Four or less.
(d) Three or more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the English meaning of the phrase "to carry on"?
2. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
3. What leads most of the studies of the sounds of the American common speech astray, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.10?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)