|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
2. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) Andrew Jackson.
(b) George Washington.
(c) James Monroe.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
5. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, Italians often take the names of what nationality when they marry?
2. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
3. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)