|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) South America.
(c) North America.
2. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(a) The Midwest.
(b) New England.
(c) The Southeast.
3. Mencken reports hearing of a German named "Knoche," who to avoid being called "Nokky," changed his name to what?
4. Which of the following does Wilcox not list as a negative treatment of the English language by grammarians?
(a) Excessive classification.
(b) Excessive inflection.
(c) Excessive revision.
(d) Multiplication of terms for a single conception.
5. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(a) Russian Jews.
(b) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
(d) Slavic peoples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
2. Mencken states that the "Meyers" are the "Smiths" of what country?
3. According to Mencken, Italians often take the names of what nationality when they marry?
4. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)