|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers' names were presented to the House by Mr. Mondell in 1919?
2. What leads most of the studies of the sounds of the American common speech astray, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.10?
(a) English conventionalism.
(b) A lack of scope.
(c) Individualistic interpretation.
3. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) High school.
(b) Elementary school.
(c) Middle school.
4. What language does the formalism of English grammarians come from?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
3. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
4. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
5. Mencken reports hearing of a German named "Knoche," who to avoid being called "Nokky," changed his name to what?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)