|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which case of the noun in English yet has an inflection at the time of Mencken's writing?
(a) The accusative.
(b) The dative.
(c) The ablative.
(d) The genitive.
2. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
3. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
(a) The eighteenth.
(b) The nineteenth.
(c) The twentieth.
(d) The seventeenth.
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
2. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
3. How many soldiers' names were presented to the House by Mr. Mondell in 1919?
4. According to the study of E.J. Hills, how many descriptive adjectives are possessed by the average child of two?
5. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)