|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the movement towards the general vowel neutralization promise to do in the future, according to Mencken?
(a) Create new vowels.
(b) Clarify the pronunciation of vowels.
(c) Dispose of many vowels.
(d) Reduce the number of vowel sounds, but not the vowels themselves.
2. What language does the formalism of English grammarians come from?
3. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
(a) Colder air.
(b) The dry climate.
(c) The moist climate.
(d) Genetic diversity.
4. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(b) The New English Dictionary.
(c) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(d) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
5. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
2. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
3. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
4. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
5. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)