|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
2. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
3. How is the "portmanteau-word" formed?
(a) By finding the true root in the word.
(b) By onomatopoeic creativity.
(c) By mixing parts of words with the same meaning in different languages.
(d) By blending two words.
4. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(a) New England.
(b) The Midwest.
(d) The Southeast.
5. Which case of the noun in English yet has an inflection at the time of Mencken's writing?
(a) The dative.
(b) The genitive.
(c) The ablative.
(d) The accusative.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the country did the Irish attain to a "truly impressive political power before the first native-born generation of them had grown up" as Mencken states in Chapter 10.1?
2. According to the study of E.J. Hills, how many descriptive adjectives are possessed by the average child of two?
3. Which of the following is not one of the minor differences Mencken lists in Chapter 8.7?
4. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
5. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)