|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
(a) Genetic diversity.
(b) The moist climate.
(c) Colder air.
(d) The dry climate.
2. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
3. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
4. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Gouverneur Morris.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Richard Grant White.
5. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mencken ascribe the inflection of English adjectives?
2. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
3. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
4. Which Americanized foreign loan-word in the common speech means, in its vulgar loaned form, "to prance or to walk consciously"?
5. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)