|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
2. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
3. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
4. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
5. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)