|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
2. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
3. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
(a) The recalcitrance to neologisms.
(b) Clinging to the silent "u" as in "honour."
(c) The literature of Fowler.
(d) The broad "a."
4. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) South America.
(b) North America.
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
5. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)