|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
2. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
3. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(c) South America.
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
2. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
3. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
4. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
5. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)