|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
2. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) James Monroe.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Regional diversity.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
4. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
(a) The broad "a."
(b) Clinging to the silent "u" as in "honour."
(c) The literature of Fowler.
(d) The recalcitrance to neologisms.
5. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
5. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)