|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) Andrew Jackson.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) James Monroe.
(d) George Washington.
2. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Basil Hall.
(c) Louis Untermeyer.
(d) Henry Alford.
3. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
4. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) South America.
(d) North America.
5. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
2. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
3. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
4. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
5. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)