|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Regional diversity.
(d) Lack of a national literature.
2. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
3. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
4. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
5. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
(a) Richard Meade Bache.
(b) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Frank H. Vizetelly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
5. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)