|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To advocate.
(b) To indulge.
(c) Free endorsement.
(d) To process.
3. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
4. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Richard Grant White.
(c) Gouverneur Morris.
(d) Noah Webster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
2. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
3. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
4. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
5. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)