|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
2. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
3. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Louis Untermeyer.
(b) Charles Astor Bristed.
(c) Henry Alford.
(d) Basil Hall.
4. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
5. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To advocate.
(b) To indulge.
(c) Free endorsement.
(d) To process.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
2. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
3. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
4. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
5. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)