|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
(a) The literature of Fowler.
(b) The broad "a."
(c) The recalcitrance to neologisms.
(d) Clinging to the silent "u" as in "honour."
2. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
3. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
4. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
5. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Lack of a national literature.
(b) Political disharmony.
(c) Territorial expansiveness.
(d) Regional diversity.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
2. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
3. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)