|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(a) The Midwest.
(b) The Southeast.
(d) New England.
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
(a) Richard Meade Bache.
(b) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Frank H. Vizetelly.
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) Richard Aldington.
(b) George Ade.
(c) Edgar Jepson.
(d) William Archer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
3. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)