|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) William Dean Howells.
(b) John Fiske.
(c) Samuel Elridge.
(d) Mark Twain.
2. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
3. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
4. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
5. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) Free endorsement.
(b) To process.
(c) To advocate.
(d) To indulge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
3. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
4. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)