|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To process.
(b) Free endorsement.
(c) To advocate.
(d) To indulge.
2. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Louis Untermeyer.
(d) Basil Hall.
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(b) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(c) The <i>Times</i>.
(d) The <i>Daily News</i>.
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
5. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)