|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) South America.
(c) North America.
2. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Louis Untermeyer.
(c) Henry Alford.
(d) Basil Hall.
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
5. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) Samuel Elridge.
(b) John Fiske.
(c) William Dean Howells.
(d) Mark Twain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
2. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
3. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
4. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
5. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)