|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
2. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
3. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
4. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Basil Hall.
(d) Louis Untermeyer.
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) William Archer.
(b) Richard Aldington.
(c) Edgar Jepson.
(d) George Ade.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
2. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
3. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
4. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)