|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) William Dean Howells.
(b) John Fiske.
(c) Samuel Elridge.
(d) Mark Twain.
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Political disharmony.
(c) Territorial expansiveness.
(d) Lack of a national literature.
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To indulge.
(b) To process.
(c) Free endorsement.
(d) To advocate.
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) John Hancock.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
2. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
3. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
4. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
5. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)