|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Territorial expansiveness.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Regional diversity.
2. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
(a) The literature of Fowler.
(b) The broad "a."
(c) The recalcitrance to neologisms.
(d) Clinging to the silent "u" as in "honour."
3. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
4. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
(a) Frank H. Vizetelly.
(b) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Richard Meade Bache.
5. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
3. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
5. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)