|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To process.
(b) Free endorsement.
(c) To indulge.
(d) To advocate.
5. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
2. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
4. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
5. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)