|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Gouverneur Morris.
(d) Richard Grant White.
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To indulge.
(b) To advocate.
(c) To process.
(d) Free endorsement.
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Political disharmony.
4. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(b) North America.
(c) South America.
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
3. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
4. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)