|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
2. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(b) The Southeast.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) New England.
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Louis Untermeyer.
(d) Basil Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
2. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
4. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
5. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)