|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) John Hancock.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
3. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
(a) Richard Meade Bache.
(b) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Frank H. Vizetelly.
4. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
2. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
3. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
4. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)