Quiz: Chapter 9.6 | Chapter 9.7 to Chapter 10.3
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
Directions: Circle the correct answer.
1. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
a) Syntactical compactness.
b) Rhetorical circuitry.
2. Which case of the noun in English yet has an inflection at the time of Mencken's writing?
a) The ablative.
b) The dative.
c) The accusative.
d) The genitive.
3. In what century did England replace the "i-sound" with the "oi-sound" in words such as "boy"?
a) The nineteenth.
b) The seventeenth.
c) The eighteenth.
d) The sixteenth.
4. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
b) South African.
5. To how many in number does the comparative...
This section contains 293 words|
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)