|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
2. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(c) Compromise for cheaper printing.
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The judge.
(b) The solicitor.
(c) The barrister.
(d) The jury.
4. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(a) New England.
(c) Hong Kong.
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) John Hancock.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
2. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
3. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)