Quiz: Chapter 1.1 | Chapter 1.2 to Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
Directions: Circle the correct answer.
1. Who is apparently the first literary critic to point out the "enormous gap between the literate and unliterate American"?
a) Allen Tate.
b) Francis Hackett.
c) Rene Wellek.
d) I.A. Richards.
2. According to Mencken, democratic government is essentially government by whom?
d) The working class.
3. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
4. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
5. Which is the second factor that Mencken...
This section contains 329 words|
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)