|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many roommates does Ifemelu have at her new apartment in Chapter 12?
2. Why is Ifemelu's father fired from his job in Chapter 3?
3. What does the narrator describe Princeton as smelling like in Chapter 1?
4. What advice does Obinze give to Ifemelu to help her understand American culture in Chapter 14?
5. What item is delivered by Obinze and his coworker to the elderly, disheveled man in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the blog that Ifemelu writes and what is the focus of the blog?
2. Who does Obinze work for at a warehouse in London? How is he treated at this job?
3. How is the theme of identity addressed through symbolism in Chapter 1?
4. How would you describe Ifemelu's character when she is first introduced? What are her circumstances?
5. What attracts Ifemelu to becoming a blogger?
6. How are Ifemelu's perceptions of Princeton, New Jersey, described in Chapter 1?
7. Discuss the symbolism of Ifelemu's mother's hair in the narrative. What is represented when she cuts her hair?
8. How have both Obinze and Ifemelu been forced to rely on others for help in their experiences abroad?
9. What does Dike know about his family and his history in Part 2? How is this information influential on his character?
10. How are Obinze's cousin in London and Aunty Uju in America similar in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Obinze’s relationship with Kosi in the novel. When and where did Obinze and Kosi meet? How does Kosi compare to Ifemelu in demeanor and appearance? In what ways is Obinze dissatisfied in his marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Ifemelu’s first impressions of America. How does the United States differ from Ifemelu’s expectations? Upon what were Ifemelu’s expectations based? What differences have the most impact on Ifemelu’s perceptions of America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss perceptions of race in America versus in England and in Nigeria. What does Ifemelu mean when she implies that she was not “black” until she came to America? How does Ginika describe perceptions of race in the U.S.? Do you agree or disagree with her observations? Why?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)