|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane say the biggest difference is between her home country and America in Chapter 10?
2. Where does Ifemelu go in Chapter 1 to have her hair braided?
3. Who is the Englishman that Obinze befriends and that shows him around London in Chapter 26?
4. What does Ifemelu do in preparation for a job interview in Chapter 19?
5. What does Dike say his camp counselor refused to give him because he didn't believe he needed it in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ifemelu perceive the differences between the news in America and Nigeria when she first arrives in the U.S.?
2. What is the name of the blog that Ifemelu writes and what is the focus of the blog?
3. Describe Aunty Uju in the narrative. What is Aunty Uju's role in Ifemelu's life?
4. How are Obinze's cousin in London and Aunty Uju in America similar in the novel?
5. What attracts Ifemelu to becoming a blogger?
6. What do bananas and peanuts symbolize for Ifemelu? How are they perceived by Dike in Part 2?
7. Who does Obinze work for at a warehouse in London? How is he treated at this job?
8. How would you describe Ifemelu's character when she is first introduced? What are her circumstances?
9. How would you describe Obinze in the beginning of the novel? What objects symbolize Obinze's character?
10. What does Obinze observe regarding Nigerians with English accents in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nonlinear nature of the narrative in Americanah. What storyline takes place in the present tense? How and why does the author employ flashbacks and flash-forwards in the telling of the story? How do you think the novel would differ if the events of the story were related in a linear timeline?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss gender roles and expectations in Nigeria and America. How do perceptions of women and men differ in America from in Nigeria? How are these perceptions illustrated through Ifemelu’s experiences in each country? Discuss examples of relationships between men and women in the novel and how these relationships are shaped by the culture and history where they develop.
Essay Topic 3
Obinze’s relationship with his mother differs greatly from Ifemelu’s relationship with her mother in the novel. Discuss the differences of these relationships. How does Ifemelu relate to Obinze’s mother? What resentments does Ifemelu harbor regarding her own mother? Why does she harbor these resentments?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)