|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane say the biggest difference is between her home country and America in Chapter 10?
2. What does the city of New Haven smell like, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
3. Of what Nigerian ethnic group is Ifemelu?
4. What is Obinze's boss called in Chapter 2?
5. What is Aunty Uju studying to become in America in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What influence does Ifemelu's father have on her choices and actions in the narrative?
2. How is the relationship between accent and identity illustrated in Chapter 17?
3. What differences stand out the most to Ifemelu between Nigeria and America after she's first arrived in the U.S. in Part 2?
4. What racism has Dike encountered while at summer camp in Part 2? How does this experience affect him?
5. How are Obinze's and Ifemelu's struggles with employment in their new-found countries similar?
6. How would you describe Obinze in the beginning of the novel? What objects symbolize Obinze's character?
7. What do bananas and peanuts symbolize for Ifemelu? How are they perceived by Dike in Part 2?
8. What can be discerned about Obinze's character based on his treatment of Cleotilde?
9. How has Aunty Uju changed when Ifemelu first encounters her in America?
10. Why does Ifemelu begin relaxing her hair in Part 2? What effect does it have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Obinze’s relationship with Kosi in the novel. When and where did Obinze and Kosi meet? How does Kosi compare to Ifemelu in demeanor and appearance? In what ways is Obinze dissatisfied in his marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Obinze’s relationship with his mother differs greatly from Ifemelu’s relationship with her mother in the novel. Discuss the differences of these relationships. How does Ifemelu relate to Obinze’s mother? What resentments does Ifemelu harbor regarding her own mother? Why does she harbor these resentments?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of isolation and conformity. How do Ifemelu and other Nigerian immigrants go about assimilating into American culture in the narrative? What do you think they lose along the way toward conformity? How is Ifemelu affected by her assimilation into American culture?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)