|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the organization name ASA stand for in Chapter 14?
2. What term does Ginika say is an insult in America but a compliment in Nigeria in Chapter 12?
3. Who is Obinze supposed to be on a date with at the party when he meets Ifemelu?
4. Where does Ifemelu go in Chapter 1 to have her hair braided?
5. Who is the Nigerian man that Aunty Uju has begun seeing in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is "American Tribalism" defined in the narrative?
2. What racism has Dike encountered while at summer camp in Part 2? How does this experience affect him?
3. How is the relationship between accent and identity illustrated in Chapter 17?
4. What does Aisha solicit Ifemelu to do in Chapter 1? Why?
5. How are Obinze's cousin in London and Aunty Uju in America similar in the novel?
6. What differences stand out the most to Ifemelu between Nigeria and America after she's first arrived in the U.S. in Part 2?
7. How does Ifemelu perceive the differences between the news in America and Nigeria when she first arrives in the U.S.?
8. What does Obinze observe regarding Nigerians with English accents in Part 3?
9. How is the theme of identity addressed through symbolism in Chapter 1?
10. Why does Ifemelu begin relaxing her hair in Part 2? What effect does it have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Shan in the novel. How is Shan similar to and different from Ifemelu? What are Ifemelu’s first impressions of Shan? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the backdrop of the Obama Presidential campaign in the narrative. How does the campaign influence Ifemelu’s thoughts on race in America? How does the campaign affect Ifemelu’s relationship with Blaine? What does the Obama Presidency signify for the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Obinze’s relationship with his mother differs greatly from Ifemelu’s relationship with her mother in the novel. Discuss the differences of these relationships. How does Ifemelu relate to Obinze’s mother? What resentments does Ifemelu harbor regarding her own mother? Why does she harbor these resentments?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)