|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Ifemelu aside and talks to her about safe sex in Chapter 5?
2. Who does Obinze meet with to set up an arranged marriage in Chapter 23?
3. What is the name of Obinze's wife in Chapter 2?
4. Where does Ifemelu go in Chapter 1 to have her hair braided?
5. What does the author employ as a symbol of a person's place in society in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Aunty Uju changed when Ifemelu first encounters her in America?
2. What symbolism and themes are explored when Ifemelu cuts off her hair in the narrative?
3. What is the name of the blog that Ifemelu writes and what is the focus of the blog?
4. How are Obinze's cousin in London and Aunty Uju in America similar in the novel?
5. How is the theme of identity addressed through symbolism in Chapter 1?
6. What do bananas and peanuts symbolize for Ifemelu? How are they perceived by Dike in Part 2?
7. What is significant about Ginika's response to Ifemelu regarding the white and black salespeople at the dress shop in Part 2?
8. What discussion emerges in Ifemelu's history class regarding the film Roots in Part 2?
9. How is "American Tribalism" defined in the narrative?
10. How is the relationship between accent and identity illustrated in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the backdrop of the Obama Presidential campaign in the narrative. How does the campaign influence Ifemelu’s thoughts on race in America? How does the campaign affect Ifemelu’s relationship with Blaine? What does the Obama Presidency signify for the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss perceptions of race in America versus in England and in Nigeria. What does Ifemelu mean when she implies that she was not “black” until she came to America? How does Ginika describe perceptions of race in the U.S.? Do you agree or disagree with her observations? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of Americanah. What does this term mean, and who uses it in the narrative? Do you think that Ifemelu is an Americanah? Why or why not?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)