|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ifemelu perceive her physique in Chapter 1?
(a) She believes she is thin.
(b) She believes she is fat.
(c) She believes she is petite.
(d) She believes she is lanky.
2. What sport does Ifemelu play with Dike when she visits in Chapter 17?
3. What is the profession of Obinze's mother in Chapter 4?
(a) She is a jeweler.
(b) She is a banker.
(c) She is a professor.
(d) She is a hairstylist.
4. Where is Ifemelu living in the beginning of Chapter 20?
5. Where does Ginika meet Ifemelu at the bus station in Chapter 12?
6. What does the author employ as a symbol of a person's place in society in the narrative?
(b) Hair colors.
7. Where has Obinze moved to Lagos from in Chapter 4?
8. At whose house is the party where Obinze and Ifemelu meet?
(a) At Kayode's house.
(b) At Mariama's house.
(c) At Curt's house.
(d) At Nigel's house.
9. What does the narrator describe Philadelphia as smelling like in Chapter 1?
10. Of what Nigerian ethnic group is Ifemelu?
11. What does the organization name ASA stand for in Chapter 14?
(a) American Student Association.
(b) African Students Association.
(c) African Students Abroad.
(d) American Students of African Families.
12. For how long has Aunty Uju been in America in the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 months.
13. How old is Ifemelu when her mother cuts off all of her own hair?
14. How is Obinze's wife described in the narrative?
15. What is the title of Ifemelu's blog post at the end of Chapter 20?
(a) “Friendly Tips for the American Non-Black: How to React to an American Black Talking About Blackness.”
(b) "Just This Evening."
(c) “Why Dark-Skinned Black Women Both American and Non-American Love Barack Obama.”
(d) “A Michelle Obama Shout-Out Plus Hair as a Race Metaphor.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Obinze take when he first arrives in England?
2. Who is the Nigerian man that Aunty Uju has begun seeing in Chapter 11?
3. Who is the black American man that Ifemelu meets on the train in Chapter 17?
4. Where does Ifemelu go in Chapter 1 to have her hair braided?
5. What advice does Obinze give to Ifemelu to help her understand American culture in Chapter 14?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)