|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bateman watches an episode of the Patty Winters Show where she reads letters _____________ wrote to his fiancee.
2. What does Bateman fail to order when he goes out with McDermott to Smith & Wollensky?
3. How does Jean react when it's clear that Bateman does not have a reservation for the first restaurant?
4. Who does Bateman run into after he and his friends leave Nell's that night?
5. Who happens to witness the shooting of the musician though Bateman didn't see him there before shooting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ted Bundy reveal in his letters to his fiancee as Bateman hears them read on the Patty Winters show?
2. What happens to the man Bateman sees on the street, playing the saxophone?
3. What does Bateman use to torture the two women who he brings back to his apartment during the first part of this section?
4. What does Bateman reveal about his feelings toward Jean, who he has been seeing regularly?
5. What does Bateman do one day when he meets up with Paul Owen for lunch?
6. How does Bateman ensnare the child when he decides to go to the zoo one day?
7. Why does Bateman not end up shooting and killing everyone at the gym where he works out?
8. How does Jean respond to the incident with the restaurant and the reservation snafu?
9. Why does Bateman walk away from the homeless man that he had blinded in the past?
10. Why did the girl from the meat packing district decide to go with Bateman again, even though he tortured her the last time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For some reason, Jean seems to have a calming effect on Bateman as they continue to date.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman can see himself settling down with Jean?
Part 2: Do you think that Bateman and Jean are a good match? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bateman doesn't necessarily want to be calmed down by anyone?
Essay Topic 2
Luis continues to be obsessed with Bateman as the story goes on, even though it's clear Bateman does not feel the same way.
Part 1: What does this romantic sort of story line reveal about Bateman's feelings toward homosexuality? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think that Luis is still so obsessed with being with Bateman?
Part 3: What do you think you would do if someone was obsessed with you and you did not feel the same way?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)