|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the lunch between Paul Owen and Patrick Bateman?
2. What does Bateman encourage the two women he invites over to his apartment to do?
3. Why did the rat that Bateman kept in a cage die?
4. Bateman has decided to give a special ____________ for Evelyn while they are out at dinner at a new restaurant.
5. Jean has a _____________ effect on Bateman, but Bateman isn't sure he wants that sort of effect in his life.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bateman ensnare the child when he decides to go to the zoo one day?
2. What happens when Bateman goes to Smith & Wollensky with McDermott? What does Bateman fail to do?
3. Why does Bateman not end up shooting and killing everyone at the gym where he works out?
4. What happens with the reservation that Bateman pretended to have in order to get into an exclusive restaurant?
5. What does Bateman use to kill the woman he picks up at a club during the first part of this section?
6. Why does Bateman tell the girl he met at Nell's to go home after they have sex with each other?
7. How does Jean respond to the incident with the restaurant and the reservation snafu?
8. What does Bateman do one day when he meets up with Paul Owen for lunch?
9. What does Bateman decide to do when he realizes he does not have plans for dinner that evening?
10. Why does Bateman walk away from the homeless man that he had blinded in the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Bateman confesses to the horrific things he has done, everyone he tells refuses to believe him.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman even feels the need to confess for the crimes he has committed?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman's friends and lawyer don't believe that he could ever be a killer?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if Bateman told you that he was a killer? Would you believe him if you knew him?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Tim Price is talking nonstop about the world, filling up the air with meaningless conversation.
Part 1: Why do you think Price felt the need to keep talking while riding in a taxi with Bateman?
Part 2: Do you think that you always need to talk in order to fill up quiet time in a conversation? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you would behave when you were in a car with a person like Bateman? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The men seem to enjoy teasing homeless men with money and then not giving it to them. This happens frequently in the novel.
Part 1: Why do you think the men like to tease the homeless men with money?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if one of your friends did this? Why?
Part 3: How do you behave when you pass homeless people on the street? Why?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)