|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bateman finds himself without plans for dinner, who does he decide to ask to go out with him?
2. Who is the 1980s band that Bateman discusses in detail after the scene with the police officers and the escape?
3. What does Bateman use to pay for the meal, which makes him feel like he might be better than his dinner partner?
4. During the phone call about dinner, both Evelyn and ____________ call Bateman to make plans that night.
5. Why wasn't Bateman able to get a reservation at Dorsia as he had hoped he would?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bateman goes to Smith & Wollensky with McDermott? What does Bateman fail to do?
2. Why is Luis moving back to Arizona, according to Luis when he runs into Bateman at Barney's?
3. What does Bateman decide to do after he is done killing the two women in his apartment?
4. What happens with the reservation that Bateman pretended to have in order to get into an exclusive restaurant?
5. What does Bateman call his lawyer and say when he completes his killing spree one evening?
6. Why does Bateman decide to go to dinner with his brother, even though he is not very close to him?
7. What does Bateman reveal about his feelings toward Jean, who he has been seeing regularly?
8. What adds to Bateman's frustration about the night he is spending at Nell's with some other men?
9. What does Bateman find about his feelings toward Jean after he leaves her at her apartment building?
10. What is the special dessert that Bateman has created for Evelyn when they are having dinner together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman does not have the strength to tell Jean that there would be no way to get a reservation at a high end restaurant on such short notice.
Part 1: Why do you think it matters to Bateman that he gets reservations at the best places?
Part 2: Why do you think Jean isn't worried or upset about the reservation snafu?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman doesn't feel the urgent need to kill Jean as he does with other women?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman seems to be a killer of opportunity rather than one who plans ahead of time.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman kills men and their dogs so often in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman doesn't plan his kills ahead of time, though he seems to be so regimented in the rest of his life?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman likes to kill a particular sort of person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bateman doesn't correct a fellow coworker who mistakes him for another man as he seems to want to take over the account himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman doesn't mind taking on the false identity?
Part 2: Do you think it's ethical to lie about who you are in order to get ahead in a job? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you would have handled someone mistaking you for someone else? Why?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)