|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bateman end up smearing all over the walls of his apartment in frustration with his experiment?
2. Who comes over to Luis and Bateman to help distract Luis long enough for Bateman to escape?
3. What happens when McDermott comes back to the group at Nell's, adding to Bateman's frustration?
4. When Bateman sees a man playing a __________ outside of the club, he goes up to him and shoots him in the head.
5. How does Jean react when it's clear that Bateman does not have a reservation for the first restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the private detective already seem to believe about the disappearance of Paul Owen?
2. What does Bateman reveal about his feelings toward Jean, who he has been seeing regularly?
3. How does Luis cause a scene when Bateman rejects him in the store?
4. What does Bateman's mother say to him when Bateman goes out to the assisted living facility to visit her?
5. What does Bateman do one day when he meets up with Paul Owen for lunch?
6. Why does Bateman decide to go to dinner with his brother, even though he is not very close to him?
7. What does Bateman call his lawyer and say when he completes his killing spree one evening?
8. Why did the girl from the meat packing district decide to go with Bateman again, even though he tortured her the last time?
9. What does Bateman do with the body of Paul Owen after he murders him? Where does he put it?
10. What does Bateman decide to do after he is done killing the two women in his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman decides to give Evelyn a chocolate covered urinal cake to play a mean prank on her.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman decided to try to give Evelyn this disgusting dessert?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman doesn't get the satisfaction he expected from this prank of sorts?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman has the ability to care about anyone in his life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Tim Price is talking nonstop about the world, filling up the air with meaningless conversation.
Part 1: Why do you think Price felt the need to keep talking while riding in a taxi with Bateman?
Part 2: Do you think that you always need to talk in order to fill up quiet time in a conversation? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you would behave when you were in a car with a person like Bateman? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)