|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bateman do when the mom finds her child? Bateman pretends to be a ______________ and ensures the child dies.
2. What does Bateman do with the girl he picks up at the club? Ties her up and uses the _______________ to kill her.
3. What does Bateman dump over the body of Paul Owen in order to speed up the decomposition process?
4. Where does Bateman then leave his next two victims without bothering to clean up his mess?
5. Bateman is in ____________ looking for a birthday present for his brother when he runs into Luis Carruthers.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bateman not end up shooting and killing everyone at the gym where he works out?
2. What does Bateman reveal about his feelings toward Jean, who he has been seeing regularly?
3. What does Bateman use to torture the two women who he brings back to his apartment during the first part of this section?
4. What does Bateman attempt to do with the body of the girl he met at the club and then killed?
5. How does Luis cause a scene when Bateman rejects him in the store?
6. What does Bateman's mother say to him when Bateman goes out to the assisted living facility to visit her?
7. Why does Bateman decide to go to dinner with his brother, even though he is not very close to him?
8. What adds to Bateman's frustration about the night he is spending at Nell's with some other men?
9. What does Bateman do with the body of Paul Owen after he murders him? Where does he put it?
10. What is the special dessert that Bateman has created for Evelyn when they are having dinner together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The men seem to enjoy teasing homeless men with money and then not giving it to them. This happens frequently in the novel.
Part 1: Why do you think the men like to tease the homeless men with money?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if one of your friends did this? Why?
Part 3: How do you behave when you pass homeless people on the street? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman seems to be a killer of opportunity rather than one who plans ahead of time.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman kills men and their dogs so often in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman doesn't plan his kills ahead of time, though he seems to be so regimented in the rest of his life?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman likes to kill a particular sort of person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bateman seems to be overly concerned about material possessions and about having the best of everything.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman and his friends care so much about material possessions?
Part 2: How do you feel about material possessions? Why?
Part 3: Is a person who is always focused on material possessions always superficial? Why or why not?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)