|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bateman get the child to come with him when they are at the answer to #134?
2. Who comes by to ask Bateman about the whereabouts of Paul Owen, leaving Bateman slightly nervous?
3. Bateman spends the rest of his summer going from one ______________ to another to pass the time.
4. At the same time, Bateman can see himself ______________ with the woman who loves him, even though he says he doesn't love her.
5. Where does Bateman then leave his next two victims without bothering to clean up his mess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman use to kill the woman he picks up at a club during the first part of this section?
2. What does Bateman reveal about his feelings toward Jean, who he has been seeing regularly?
3. Why does Bateman walk away from the homeless man that he had blinded in the past?
4. How does Bateman ensnare the child when he decides to go to the zoo one day?
5. What does Ted Bundy reveal in his letters to his fiancee as Bateman hears them read on the Patty Winters show?
6. Why does Bateman decide to go to dinner with his brother, even though he is not very close to him?
7. What happens with the reservation that Bateman pretended to have in order to get into an exclusive restaurant?
8. Why does Bateman not end up shooting and killing everyone at the gym where he works out?
9. What happens to the man Bateman sees on the street, playing the saxophone?
10. How does Jean respond to the incident with the restaurant and the reservation snafu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman decides to go out with his college sweetheart, though he is very nervous during the date.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman is nervous about being with his college sweetheart?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman decides to torture Bethany after taking her to his place?
Part 3: What do you think this scene seems to say about Bateman's feelings of inadequacy? Or does he not feel inadequate? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he has dead bodies in his apartment, Bateman goes out shopping for something at Barney's.
Part 1: Do you think Bateman ever feels guilt for the killings he has committed? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman feels comfortable leaving the dead bodies unsupervised?
Part 3: If you were in Bateman's shoes, would you have disposed of the bodies before leaving the apartment for a while? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the novel, Tim Price is talking nonstop about the world, filling up the air with meaningless conversation.
Part 1: Why do you think Price felt the need to keep talking while riding in a taxi with Bateman?
Part 2: Do you think that you always need to talk in order to fill up quiet time in a conversation? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you would behave when you were in a car with a person like Bateman? Why?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)