|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bateman is looking at the rat he killed while talking to _____________ and Hamlin about where they want to eat dinner.
2. What happens when Bateman arrives at his office building? What does he realize?
3. What does Bateman dump over the body of Paul Owen in order to speed up the decomposition process?
4. Bateman is not close to _____________ and he would not normally have dinner with him.
5. Bateman is deeply _____________ when the private detective comes by, but the detective doesn't seem to notice.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman decide to do after he is done killing the two women in his apartment?
2. Why is Luis moving back to Arizona, according to Luis when he runs into Bateman at Barney's?
3. How does Jean respond to the incident with the restaurant and the reservation snafu?
4. What happens with the reservation that Bateman pretended to have in order to get into an exclusive restaurant?
5. What does Bateman discover when he goes back to look at the body of Paul Owen?
6. How does Luis cause a scene when Bateman rejects him in the store?
7. Why does Bateman decide to go to dinner with his brother, even though he is not very close to him?
8. What does the private detective already seem to believe about the disappearance of Paul Owen?
9. What adds to Bateman's frustration about the night he is spending at Nell's with some other men?
10. What happens to the man Bateman sees on the street, playing the saxophone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bateman tries to kill Luis, he stops himself when Luis interprets it as a sign of affection.
Part 1: Why do you think Luis doesn't interpret being choked by Bateman as a bad thing?
Part 2: Do you think you would be as forgiving as Luis if Bateman tried to choke you? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's normal for Luis to have the reaction he does to his almost-murder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman does not have the strength to tell Jean that there would be no way to get a reservation at a high end restaurant on such short notice.
Part 1: Why do you think it matters to Bateman that he gets reservations at the best places?
Part 2: Why do you think Jean isn't worried or upset about the reservation snafu?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman doesn't feel the urgent need to kill Jean as he does with other women?
Essay Topic 3
The men seem to enjoy teasing homeless men with money and then not giving it to them. This happens frequently in the novel.
Part 1: Why do you think the men like to tease the homeless men with money?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if one of your friends did this? Why?
Part 3: How do you behave when you pass homeless people on the street? Why?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)