|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. McDermott insists to Bateman that his idol, __________________, loves the pizza at Pastels, even though Bateman does not.
2. What is the name of the health club where Bateman works out during the day?
3. What is the talk show that Bateman likes to watch as a part of his daily morning routine?
4. What does Bateman do when he picks up the stranger's dog which causes the man to be completely shocked?
5. After the concert, Bateman finds out that two of the _____________ tried to get Courtney and Evelyn backstage to meet the band.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
2. Why doesn't Bateman want to share a pizza with the others, even though one person suggests they all do so?
3. Why is the man who opens up the laundry from Bateman not surprised by what he finds in the bag?
4. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
5. What does Bateman do when he is cruising in the meat packing district after talking with Courtney?
6. What is disturbing to Bateman about the party which Evelyn throws for the Christmas holiday?
7. When Evelyn asks whether Bateman has seen Tim Price, what does Bateman reveal that he knows about Price?
8. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
9. What happens when Bateman decides to go to the store to pick up some groceries for a quiet night in?
10. What does Bateman feel he has embarrassed himself with in the course of the dinner conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luis continues to be obsessed with Bateman as the story goes on, even though it's clear Bateman does not feel the same way.
Part 1: What does this romantic sort of story line reveal about Bateman's feelings toward homosexuality? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think that Luis is still so obsessed with being with Bateman?
Part 3: What do you think you would do if someone was obsessed with you and you did not feel the same way?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman decides to go out with his college sweetheart, though he is very nervous during the date.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman is nervous about being with his college sweetheart?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman decides to torture Bethany after taking her to his place?
Part 3: What do you think this scene seems to say about Bateman's feelings of inadequacy? Or does he not feel inadequate? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Evelyn hires midgets to be the wait staff at a party she throws, for the spectacle, it seems.
Part 1: How did you react when you first read that Evelyn hired midgets to staff her part?
Part 2: Do you think it's offensive to objectify other people for their differences? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about Evelyn as a person after seeing her taste in wait staff?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)