|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the talk show that Bateman likes to watch as a part of his daily morning routine?
2. What club do Patricia and Bateman decide to go to, though when they go, the place is nearly empty?
3. Bateman listens as the women talk about settling down to _______________ when he is at dinner with them.
4. Bateman goes into a video story to rent __________, but leaves when he notices a co-worker there too.
5. What does Bateman argue about with the woman who is working at the dry cleaner when he goes to drop off and pick up laundry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman do when he is cruising in the meat packing district after talking with Courtney?
2. What happens between Tim Price and the homeless man at the start of the novel?
3. Why doesn't Bateman just have someone else do his Christmas shopping for him as he knows Jean would?
4. Though Bateman apologizes about disliking the pizza at Pastels, what does McDermott insist about this pizza?
5. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
6. What does Bateman tell his co-worker during the lunch when they talk about the Bahamas, though his co-worker doesn't hear what Bateman said?
7. What does Bateman feel he has embarrassed himself with in the course of the dinner conversation?
8. Why is Bateman worried when they arrive at Pastels at the start of this section of the book?
9. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
10. What do Price and Bateman discover when they arrive at Evelyn's house after their taxi ride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman does not have the strength to tell Jean that there would be no way to get a reservation at a high end restaurant on such short notice.
Part 1: Why do you think it matters to Bateman that he gets reservations at the best places?
Part 2: Why do you think Jean isn't worried or upset about the reservation snafu?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman doesn't feel the urgent need to kill Jean as he does with other women?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman doesn't correct a fellow coworker who mistakes him for another man as he seems to want to take over the account himself.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman doesn't mind taking on the false identity?
Part 2: Do you think it's ethical to lie about who you are in order to get ahead in a job? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you would have handled someone mistaking you for someone else? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Courtney is overly concerned about using protection when she and Bateman are having sex, almost in an obsessive way.
Part 1: Why do you think Courtney is so obsessed about the protection used during sex?
Part 2: Do you think it's normal to be so obsessed about what protection is used during sex? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you feel you are someone who is concerned about how much protection is used during sex? Why or why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)