|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bateman brush off the girl from his apartment who seems to want to set a date with him?
2. What does Bateman promise to Courtney when he drops her off at a club?
3. As his co-worker is talking, Bateman thinks about the Patty Winters Show and the ___________ parade he saw on his way to work.
4. What does Bateman do when he picks up the stranger's dog which causes the man to be completely shocked?
5. Bateman goes cruising the meat packing district in a ___________ to find women to have sex with.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Paul Owen comes over to the table at Harry's to talk with Bateman and the other men?
2. What are two of the subjects Bateman and his friends discuss when they are out at Harry's?
3. Why is the man who opens up the laundry from Bateman not surprised by what he finds in the bag?
4. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
5. What happens between Tim Price and the homeless man at the start of the novel?
6. What does the artist feel about the sushi that is being served at the dinner Bateman is attending at the start of the novel?
7. Why does Bateman become angry with Evelyn during the course of his dinner with her?
8. Why is Bateman worried when they arrive at Pastels at the start of this section of the book?
9. How does Bateman brush off the girl from his apartment who wants to make a date with him?
10. What is the health club routine Bateman follows when he goes out for his daily workout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman decides to give Evelyn a chocolate covered urinal cake to play a mean prank on her.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman decided to try to give Evelyn this disgusting dessert?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman doesn't get the satisfaction he expected from this prank of sorts?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman has the ability to care about anyone in his life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he has dead bodies in his apartment, Bateman goes out shopping for something at Barney's.
Part 1: Do you think Bateman ever feels guilt for the killings he has committed? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman feels comfortable leaving the dead bodies unsupervised?
Part 3: If you were in Bateman's shoes, would you have disposed of the bodies before leaving the apartment for a while? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)