|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Price find as he is wandering around Evelyn's apartment at the beginning of the story?
2. Who is not thrilled with Evelyn's choice in friends, according to the narrative at the start of the book?
3. At the club, Bateman buys some _______________ and tries to find a stall for him and Evelyn to take it in.
4. There is a line for a ___________ when Bateman and Evelyn at the club together, causing some conflict.
5. What is the first machine that Bateman uses when he's at the gym to work out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman realize about Evelyn and Price as she is brushing her hair and Price is talking to her?
2. What do Price and Bateman discover when they arrive at Evelyn's house after their taxi ride?
3. Why is Bateman worried when they arrive at Pastels at the start of this section of the book?
4. What happens when Bateman decides to go to the store to pick up some groceries for a quiet night in?
5. What does Bateman find out about his date one night with Patricia, as indicated by several messages on his answering machine?
6. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
7. Why is the man who opens up the laundry from Bateman not surprised by what he finds in the bag?
8. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
9. When Evelyn asks whether Bateman has seen Tim Price, what does Bateman reveal that he knows about Price?
10. What are two of the subjects Bateman and his friends discuss when they are out at Harry's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman seems to be a killer of opportunity rather than one who plans ahead of time.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman kills men and their dogs so often in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman doesn't plan his kills ahead of time, though he seems to be so regimented in the rest of his life?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman likes to kill a particular sort of person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Even though he has dead bodies in his apartment, Bateman goes out shopping for something at Barney's.
Part 1: Do you think Bateman ever feels guilt for the killings he has committed? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman feels comfortable leaving the dead bodies unsupervised?
Part 3: If you were in Bateman's shoes, would you have disposed of the bodies before leaving the apartment for a while? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The men in the book seem focused on materials, women, and on getting drugs as well.
Part 1: Do you think the lifestyle of the men in this book is one which is considered to be ideal in today's society? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you perceive the men in this book? Would you be friends with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the men in this book seem only to be interested in pleasure?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)