|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bateman lounges on Evelyn's bed with Price in the room and watches as she ______________________.
2. Bateman goes to lunch with a co-worker who just returned from _____________ and talks about the commercial advantages of vacationing there.
3. What causes a man to believe that Bateman is flirting with him on the street as he heads to the store?
4. Who does Bateman realize is in love with him and he thinks that he might marry her one day?
5. ___________ teases a homeless man with money, but then refuses to give it to him at the start of the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bateman goes to Smith & Wollensky with McDermott? What does Bateman fail to do?
2. Why is Bateman bored as he is hanging out with McDermott and Taylor?
3. What does Bateman feel he has embarrassed himself with in the course of the dinner conversation?
4. How does Bateman ensnare the child when he decides to go to the zoo one day?
5. Why does Bateman rush himself out of the party that Evelyn throws, asking her to come with him?
6. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
7. What does the private detective already seem to believe about the disappearance of Paul Owen?
8. What do Price and Bateman discover when they arrive at Evelyn's house after their taxi ride?
9. Why does Bateman become angry with Evelyn during the course of his dinner with her?
10. Though Bateman apologizes about disliking the pizza at Pastels, what does McDermott insist about this pizza?
Essay Topic 1
Bateman becomes outraged when Evelyn brings up the idea of getting married, though he has never mentioned marriage to her before.
Part 1: Why do you think Evelyn believes she and Bateman will one day get married?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman becomes so outraged with the idea of getting married to someone?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman is capable of getting married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Courtney is overly concerned about using protection when she and Bateman are having sex, almost in an obsessive way.
Part 1: Why do you think Courtney is so obsessed about the protection used during sex?
Part 2: Do you think it's normal to be so obsessed about what protection is used during sex? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you feel you are someone who is concerned about how much protection is used during sex? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,093 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)