|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bateman want from Paul Owen, which is why he creates a devious plan to get it from him?
2. Bateman, over dinner, feels he embarrassed himself by expressing his opinion on America's ___________________.
3. Evelyn begins to talk about how great their _________ would be while Bateman becomes angry as he's never talked about marrying Evelyn.
4. Patrick Bateman and Tim Price get to Evelyn's home by _________ at the start of the book.
5. Who does Bateman want to sit next to at the concert, but someone else keeps trying to talk to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Evelyn asks whether Bateman has seen Tim Price, what does Bateman reveal that he knows about Price?
2. Why is the man who opens up the laundry from Bateman not surprised by what he finds in the bag?
3. How does Bateman brush off the girl from his apartment who wants to make a date with him?
4. What do Bateman and Evelyn find when they go into the bathroom in order to do the drugs they bought?
5. Though Bateman apologizes about disliking the pizza at Pastels, what does McDermott insist about this pizza?
6. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
7. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
8. What do Price and Bateman realize about the drugs that they have received from the dealer?
9. What is disturbing to Bateman about the party which Evelyn throws for the Christmas holiday?
10. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman becomes outraged when Evelyn brings up the idea of getting married, though he has never mentioned marriage to her before.
Part 1: Why do you think Evelyn believes she and Bateman will one day get married?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman becomes so outraged with the idea of getting married to someone?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman is capable of getting married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The men in the book seem focused on materials, women, and on getting drugs as well.
Part 1: Do you think the lifestyle of the men in this book is one which is considered to be ideal in today's society? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you perceive the men in this book? Would you be friends with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the men in this book seem only to be interested in pleasure?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)