|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bateman meet his friends to discuss the proper way of wearing some clothes and the homeless people in the city?
2. Bateman in another section discusses ______________, the band, in great detail, exhaustively dissecting each of their albums and pointing out the songs which make them great.
3. Where do Price and Bateman go for dinner toward the end of this section of the book?
4. What restaurant does Bateman end up taking Patricia to since the preferred restaurant did not have any tables?
5. Who finds the teasing of the homeless man to be a little embarrassing as he/she witnesses it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman experience when he is watching Bono in U2 for the first time when out with friends?
2. What do Bateman and Evelyn find when they go into the bathroom in order to do the drugs they bought?
3. Who is the other couple that is in the apartment with Bateman, Price, and the two women?
4. What are two of the subjects Bateman and his friends discuss when they are out at Harry's?
5. What does the artist feel about the sushi that is being served at the dinner Bateman is attending at the start of the novel?
6. What happens when Bateman decides to go to the store to pick up some groceries for a quiet night in?
7. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
8. What does Bateman realize about Evelyn and Price as she is brushing her hair and Price is talking to her?
9. What is disturbing to Bateman about the party which Evelyn throws for the Christmas holiday?
10. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman seems to be overly concerned about material possessions and about having the best of everything.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman and his friends care so much about material possessions?
Part 2: How do you feel about material possessions? Why?
Part 3: Is a person who is always focused on material possessions always superficial? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bateman seems to be a killer of opportunity rather than one who plans ahead of time.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman kills men and their dogs so often in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman doesn't plan his kills ahead of time, though he seems to be so regimented in the rest of his life?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman likes to kill a particular sort of person? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)