|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bateman meet his friends to discuss the proper way of wearing some clothes and the homeless people in the city?
2. In the middle of the conversation with his co-worker, Bateman admits he is bored with life and about how he wants to _____________.
3. Luis Carruthers discusses his latest trip to _______________ when he is meeting with Bateman at the office.
4. What does Bateman convince the young prostitute to do while he is on the phone with the escort service?
5. What does Bateman promise to Courtney when he drops her off at a club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman realize about Evelyn and Price as she is brushing her hair and Price is talking to her?
2. What do Price and Bateman discover when they arrive at Evelyn's house after their taxi ride?
3. Why does Bateman rush himself out of the party that Evelyn throws, asking her to come with him?
4. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
5. Who is the other couple that is in the apartment with Bateman, Price, and the two women?
6. What happens between Tim Price and the homeless man at the start of the novel?
7. Why is Bateman worried when they arrive at Pastels at the start of this section of the book?
8. Why does Bateman become angry with Evelyn during the course of his dinner with her?
9. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
10. What does Bateman tell his co-worker during the lunch when they talk about the Bahamas, though his co-worker doesn't hear what Bateman said?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman decides to go out with his college sweetheart, though he is very nervous during the date.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman is nervous about being with his college sweetheart?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman decides to torture Bethany after taking her to his place?
Part 3: What do you think this scene seems to say about Bateman's feelings of inadequacy? Or does he not feel inadequate? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Tim Price is talking nonstop about the world, filling up the air with meaningless conversation.
Part 1: Why do you think Price felt the need to keep talking while riding in a taxi with Bateman?
Part 2: Do you think that you always need to talk in order to fill up quiet time in a conversation? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you would behave when you were in a car with a person like Bateman? Why?
Essay Topic 3
For some reason, Jean seems to have a calming effect on Bateman as they continue to date.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman can see himself settling down with Jean?
Part 2: Do you think that Bateman and Jean are a good match? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bateman doesn't necessarily want to be calmed down by anyone?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)