|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bateman goes cruising the meat packing district in a ___________ to find women to have sex with.
2. Who is the man from Bateman's office who mistakes him for Marcus Halberstam, a mistake Bateman does not correct?
3. What does Bateman's secretary remind him that he has to do while he is up and nursing a hangover after the restaurant?
4. While at dinner, Bateman and his friends discuss questions they might want to send into a magazine. What magazine is discussed?
5. What does Bateman argue about with the woman who is working at the dry cleaner when he goes to drop off and pick up laundry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman give as an excuse as to why Evelyn cannot come over to his apartment?
2. What does Bateman's mother say to him when Bateman goes out to the assisted living facility to visit her?
3. What does Bateman feel he has embarrassed himself with in the course of the dinner conversation?
4. When Evelyn asks whether Bateman has seen Tim Price, what does Bateman reveal that he knows about Price?
5. Why does Bateman tell the girl he met at Nell's to go home after they have sex with each other?
6. What do Price and Bateman discover when they arrive at Evelyn's house after their taxi ride?
7. What does Bateman discover when he goes back to look at the body of Paul Owen?
8. Though Bateman apologizes about disliking the pizza at Pastels, what does McDermott insist about this pizza?
9. Why is the man who opens up the laundry from Bateman not surprised by what he finds in the bag?
10. What is the special dessert that Bateman has created for Evelyn when they are having dinner together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman seems to be a person who is very methodical in the way he approaches his life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a normal behavior to have a very rigid schedule? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think would happen if Bateman was not able to follow each of the rigid steps in his everyday schedule? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the rigid cleaning schedule of Bateman helps him in his life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The men seem to enjoy teasing homeless men with money and then not giving it to them. This happens frequently in the novel.
Part 1: Why do you think the men like to tease the homeless men with money?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if one of your friends did this? Why?
Part 3: How do you behave when you pass homeless people on the street? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,087 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)