|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine does Bateman decide to read when he is at his desk when he comes into work late that day?
2. What does Price find as he is wandering around Evelyn's apartment at the beginning of the story?
3. Bateman goes to _______________ where he runs into Courtney and Luis before leaving to walk home on his own.
4. Who does Bateman ask to talk to the dry cleaners for him since he does not have the time to do it himself?
5. Who does Bateman realize may be having an affair, which only mildly disappoints him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman find out about his date one night with Patricia, as indicated by several messages on his answering machine?
2. Who is the other couple that is in the apartment with Bateman, Price, and the two women?
3. What are two of the subjects Bateman and his friends discuss when they are out at Harry's?
4. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
5. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
6. Why is Bateman worried when they arrive at Pastels at the start of this section of the book?
7. What happens when Bateman decides to go to the store to pick up some groceries for a quiet night in?
8. How does Bateman brush off the girl from his apartment who wants to make a date with him?
9. What happens when Paul Owen comes over to the table at Harry's to talk with Bateman and the other men?
10. What does Bateman feel he has embarrassed himself with in the course of the dinner conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman does not have the strength to tell Jean that there would be no way to get a reservation at a high end restaurant on such short notice.
Part 1: Why do you think it matters to Bateman that he gets reservations at the best places?
Part 2: Why do you think Jean isn't worried or upset about the reservation snafu?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman doesn't feel the urgent need to kill Jean as he does with other women?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman decides to give Evelyn a chocolate covered urinal cake to play a mean prank on her.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman decided to try to give Evelyn this disgusting dessert?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman doesn't get the satisfaction he expected from this prank of sorts?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman has the ability to care about anyone in his life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Luis continues to be obsessed with Bateman as the story goes on, even though it's clear Bateman does not feel the same way.
Part 1: What does this romantic sort of story line reveal about Bateman's feelings toward homosexuality? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think that Luis is still so obsessed with being with Bateman?
Part 3: What do you think you would do if someone was obsessed with you and you did not feel the same way?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)