|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the man in the couple who Evelyn introduces to Price during this initial scene of the book?
2. What does not shock the dry cleaner when they pull out Bateman's laundry from its bag?
3. At the club, Bateman buys some _______________ and tries to find a stall for him and Evelyn to take it in.
4. Who does Bateman attempt to kill in order to get Courtney all to himself, though the attempt is not successful?
5. Bateman goes into a video story to rent __________, but leaves when he notices a co-worker there too.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
2. Why does Bateman become angry with Evelyn during the course of his dinner with her?
3. What does Bateman find out about his date one night with Patricia, as indicated by several messages on his answering machine?
4. What is the health club routine Bateman follows when he goes out for his daily workout?
5. What does Bateman give as an excuse as to why Evelyn cannot come over to his apartment?
6. How does Bateman brush off the girl from his apartment who wants to make a date with him?
7. Why doesn't Bateman want to share a pizza with the others, even though one person suggests they all do so?
8. What do Price and Bateman realize about the drugs that they have received from the dealer?
9. What do Price and Bateman discover when they arrive at Evelyn's house after their taxi ride?
10. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman seems to be overly concerned about material possessions and about having the best of everything.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman and his friends care so much about material possessions?
Part 2: How do you feel about material possessions? Why?
Part 3: Is a person who is always focused on material possessions always superficial? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Bateman tries to kill Luis, he stops himself when Luis interprets it as a sign of affection.
Part 1: Why do you think Luis doesn't interpret being choked by Bateman as a bad thing?
Part 2: Do you think you would be as forgiving as Luis if Bateman tried to choke you? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's normal for Luis to have the reaction he does to his almost-murder? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Even though he has dead bodies in his apartment, Bateman goes out shopping for something at Barney's.
Part 1: Do you think Bateman ever feels guilt for the killings he has committed? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman feels comfortable leaving the dead bodies unsupervised?
Part 3: If you were in Bateman's shoes, would you have disposed of the bodies before leaving the apartment for a while? Why or why not?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)