|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bateman ask Jean to look out for as he wants to buy one when he can?
2. There is a line for a ___________ when Bateman and Evelyn at the club together, causing some conflict.
3. Bateman is worried they did not arrive at ________ early enough to get a good table, but it turns out their table is fine.
4. After the concert, Bateman finds out that two of the _____________ tried to get Courtney and Evelyn backstage to meet the band.
5. Why is Bateman concerned about choosing a restaurant? What does he want to ensure they can get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman do when he is cruising in the meat packing district after talking with Courtney?
2. What is disturbing to Bateman about the party which Evelyn throws for the Christmas holiday?
3. When Evelyn asks whether Bateman has seen Tim Price, what does Bateman reveal that he knows about Price?
4. What does Bateman experience when he is watching Bono in U2 for the first time when out with friends?
5. What are two of the subjects Bateman and his friends discuss when they are out at Harry's?
6. What does Bateman give as an excuse as to why Evelyn cannot come over to his apartment?
7. What does Bateman tell his co-worker during the lunch when they talk about the Bahamas, though his co-worker doesn't hear what Bateman said?
8. How does Bateman brush off the girl from his apartment who wants to make a date with him?
9. Why doesn't Bateman just have someone else do his Christmas shopping for him as he knows Jean would?
10. What happens between Tim Price and the homeless man at the start of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman becomes outraged when Evelyn brings up the idea of getting married, though he has never mentioned marriage to her before.
Part 1: Why do you think Evelyn believes she and Bateman will one day get married?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman becomes so outraged with the idea of getting married to someone?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman is capable of getting married? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bateman does not have the strength to tell Jean that there would be no way to get a reservation at a high end restaurant on such short notice.
Part 1: Why do you think it matters to Bateman that he gets reservations at the best places?
Part 2: Why do you think Jean isn't worried or upset about the reservation snafu?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman doesn't feel the urgent need to kill Jean as he does with other women?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)