|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bateman compares his ______________ to the equipment that he has, trying to convince the man that his is superior.
2. Bateman goes to lunch with a co-worker who just returned from _____________ and talks about the commercial advantages of vacationing there.
3. Bateman picks out the _______________ looking girl on the street, young and blonde, when he goes to the meat packing district.
4. Bateman goes cruising the meat packing district in a ___________ to find women to have sex with.
5. What causes a man to believe that Bateman is flirting with him on the street as he heads to the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two of the subjects Bateman and his friends discuss when they are out at Harry's?
2. What does Bateman tell his co-worker during the lunch when they talk about the Bahamas, though his co-worker doesn't hear what Bateman said?
3. Why does Bateman become angry with Evelyn during the course of his dinner with her?
4. What happens when Paul Owen comes over to the table at Harry's to talk with Bateman and the other men?
5. What is the health club routine Bateman follows when he goes out for his daily workout?
6. Why doesn't Bateman just have someone else do his Christmas shopping for him as he knows Jean would?
7. What does Bateman do when he is cruising in the meat packing district after talking with Courtney?
8. Why doesn't Bateman want to share a pizza with the others, even though one person suggests they all do so?
9. What happens between Tim Price and the homeless man at the start of the novel?
10. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luis continues to be obsessed with Bateman as the story goes on, even though it's clear Bateman does not feel the same way.
Part 1: What does this romantic sort of story line reveal about Bateman's feelings toward homosexuality? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think that Luis is still so obsessed with being with Bateman?
Part 3: What do you think you would do if someone was obsessed with you and you did not feel the same way?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman tells a girl that he feels the need to hurt her, so she should leave before anything happens.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman chose to let that woman know that she should leave?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if someone told you they were afraid they might hurt you?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman has the ability to stop killing other people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Evelyn hires midgets to be the wait staff at a party she throws, for the spectacle, it seems.
Part 1: How did you react when you first read that Evelyn hired midgets to staff her part?
Part 2: Do you think it's offensive to objectify other people for their differences? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about Evelyn as a person after seeing her taste in wait staff?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)