|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the man in the couple who Evelyn introduces to Price during this initial scene of the book?
2. Bateman compares his ______________ to the equipment that he has, trying to convince the man that his is superior.
3. Why is Bateman concerned about choosing a restaurant? What does he want to ensure they can get?
4. What does Bateman decide that he needs to get before he can settle in for an evening at home?
5. Bateman goes to lunch with a co-worker who just returned from _____________ and talks about the commercial advantages of vacationing there.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bateman brush off the girl from his apartment who wants to make a date with him?
2. What are two of the subjects Bateman and his friends discuss when they are out at Harry's?
3. What do Bateman and Evelyn find when they go into the bathroom in order to do the drugs they bought?
4. What happens when Bateman decides to go to the store to pick up some groceries for a quiet night in?
5. Why does Bateman become angry with Evelyn during the course of his dinner with her?
6. What does Bateman feel he has embarrassed himself with in the course of the dinner conversation?
7. What does Bateman give as an excuse as to why Evelyn cannot come over to his apartment?
8. What does Bateman do when he is cruising in the meat packing district after talking with Courtney?
9. What does the artist feel about the sushi that is being served at the dinner Bateman is attending at the start of the novel?
10. What does Bateman experience when he is watching Bono in U2 for the first time when out with friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman seems to be a killer of opportunity rather than one who plans ahead of time.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman kills men and their dogs so often in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman doesn't plan his kills ahead of time, though he seems to be so regimented in the rest of his life?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman likes to kill a particular sort of person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The men in the book seem focused on materials, women, and on getting drugs as well.
Part 1: Do you think the lifestyle of the men in this book is one which is considered to be ideal in today's society? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you perceive the men in this book? Would you be friends with them? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the men in this book seem only to be interested in pleasure?
Essay Topic 3
For some reason, Jean seems to have a calming effect on Bateman as they continue to date.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman can see himself settling down with Jean?
Part 2: Do you think that Bateman and Jean are a good match? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bateman doesn't necessarily want to be calmed down by anyone?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)