|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bateman tells the frightened woman that he cannot take her out because he has ____________ in his freezer.
2. Bateman is worried they did not arrive at ________ early enough to get a good table, but it turns out their table is fine.
3. What is the talk show that Bateman likes to watch as a part of his daily morning routine?
4. What nightclub do the men decide to go to after they have eaten dinner at the restaurant?
5. Bateman goes into a video story to rent __________, but leaves when he notices a co-worker there too.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Paul Owen comes over to the table at Harry's to talk with Bateman and the other men?
2. What does Bateman do when he is cruising in the meat packing district after talking with Courtney?
3. Who is the other couple that is in the apartment with Bateman, Price, and the two women?
4. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
5. What happens between Tim Price and the homeless man at the start of the novel?
6. Why is Bateman worried when they arrive at Pastels at the start of this section of the book?
7. What is disturbing to Bateman about the party which Evelyn throws for the Christmas holiday?
8. What do Price and Bateman realize about the drugs that they have received from the dealer?
9. What happens when Bateman decides to go to the store to pick up some groceries for a quiet night in?
10. What does the artist feel about the sushi that is being served at the dinner Bateman is attending at the start of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bateman seems to be a person who is very methodical in the way he approaches his life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a normal behavior to have a very rigid schedule? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think would happen if Bateman was not able to follow each of the rigid steps in his everyday schedule? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the rigid cleaning schedule of Bateman helps him in his life? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman tells a girl that he feels the need to hurt her, so she should leave before anything happens.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman chose to let that woman know that she should leave?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if someone told you they were afraid they might hurt you?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman has the ability to stop killing other people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bateman does not have the strength to tell Jean that there would be no way to get a reservation at a high end restaurant on such short notice.
Part 1: Why do you think it matters to Bateman that he gets reservations at the best places?
Part 2: Why do you think Jean isn't worried or upset about the reservation snafu?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman doesn't feel the urgent need to kill Jean as he does with other women?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)