|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the middle of the conversation with his co-worker, Bateman admits he is bored with life and about how he wants to _____________.
2. Who does Bateman realize is in love with him and he thinks that he might marry her one day?
3. While at dinner, Bateman and his friends discuss questions they might want to send into a magazine. What magazine is discussed?
4. ___________ teases a homeless man with money, but then refuses to give it to him at the start of the book.
5. What do Bateman and Price realize about the cocaine they thought they had bought? What does it turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the man who opens up the laundry from Bateman not surprised by what he finds in the bag?
2. Why does Bateman become angry with Evelyn during the course of his dinner with her?
3. Why is Bateman worried when they arrive at Pastels at the start of this section of the book?
4. What does Bateman feel he has embarrassed himself with in the course of the dinner conversation?
5. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
6. What is the health club routine Bateman follows when he goes out for his daily workout?
7. How does Bateman brush off the girl from his apartment who wants to make a date with him?
8. What does Bateman experience when he is watching Bono in U2 for the first time when out with friends?
9. What happens when Paul Owen comes over to the table at Harry's to talk with Bateman and the other men?
10. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman seems to be a killer of opportunity rather than one who plans ahead of time.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman kills men and their dogs so often in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman doesn't plan his kills ahead of time, though he seems to be so regimented in the rest of his life?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman likes to kill a particular sort of person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bateman seems to be a person who is very methodical in the way he approaches his life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a normal behavior to have a very rigid schedule? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think would happen if Bateman was not able to follow each of the rigid steps in his everyday schedule? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the rigid cleaning schedule of Bateman helps him in his life? Why?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)