|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one that hates the restaurant and is in a bad mood when they arrive at the building and then sit down?
2. Who does Bateman realize may be having an affair, which only mildly disappoints him?
3. Bateman, over dinner, feels he embarrassed himself by expressing his opinion on America's ___________________.
4. What do Bateman and Courtney argue about when they go back to Courtney's apartment to have sex?
5. Bateman rushes _____________ out of the room when he realizes that his identity might be discovered.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman find out about his date one night with Patricia, as indicated by several messages on his answering machine?
2. What does Bateman experience when he is watching Bono in U2 for the first time when out with friends?
3. What does Bateman tell his co-worker during the lunch when they talk about the Bahamas, though his co-worker doesn't hear what Bateman said?
4. Though Bateman apologizes about disliking the pizza at Pastels, what does McDermott insist about this pizza?
5. What happens between Tim Price and the homeless man at the start of the novel?
6. What is disturbing to Bateman about the party which Evelyn throws for the Christmas holiday?
7. Who is the other couple that is in the apartment with Bateman, Price, and the two women?
8. What is the health club routine Bateman follows when he goes out for his daily workout?
9. Why does Bateman become angry with Evelyn during the course of his dinner with her?
10. Why doesn't Bateman want to share a pizza with the others, even though one person suggests they all do so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For some reason, Jean seems to have a calming effect on Bateman as they continue to date.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman can see himself settling down with Jean?
Part 2: Do you think that Bateman and Jean are a good match? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Bateman doesn't necessarily want to be calmed down by anyone?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman does not have the strength to tell Jean that there would be no way to get a reservation at a high end restaurant on such short notice.
Part 1: Why do you think it matters to Bateman that he gets reservations at the best places?
Part 2: Why do you think Jean isn't worried or upset about the reservation snafu?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman doesn't feel the urgent need to kill Jean as he does with other women?
Essay Topic 3
Bateman seems to be a killer of opportunity rather than one who plans ahead of time.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman kills men and their dogs so often in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman doesn't plan his kills ahead of time, though he seems to be so regimented in the rest of his life?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman likes to kill a particular sort of person? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)