|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bateman bribes __________ limo driver into taking Bateman and Evelyn to a club.
2. When Price and Bateman arrive at Evelyn's, they discover the women have laid out ____________ instead of being ready to go out to eat.
3. ___________ teases a homeless man with money, but then refuses to give it to him at the start of the book.
4. What is the profession of the man in the couple who Evelyn introduces to Price during this initial scene of the book?
5. What do Bateman and Price realize about the cocaine they thought they had bought? What does it turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman think about his secretary, Jean, as he indicates in the narrative?
2. What does Bateman experience when he is watching Bono in U2 for the first time when out with friends?
3. Why doesn't Bateman just have someone else do his Christmas shopping for him as he knows Jean would?
4. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
5. What do Price and Bateman realize about the drugs that they have received from the dealer?
6. What does Bateman do when he is cruising in the meat packing district after talking with Courtney?
7. What does Bateman lecture a homeless man about on his way home from a black tie dinner?
8. Why is Bateman worried when they arrive at Pastels at the start of this section of the book?
9. What does Bateman feel he has embarrassed himself with in the course of the dinner conversation?
10. Who is the other couple that is in the apartment with Bateman, Price, and the two women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, names from the late 1980s are mentioned in the narrative by Bateman.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Bateman to name names in this book?
Part 2: How do you feel about someone who seems to be a name-dropper, or someone who is only interested in talking about the 'cool' people he knows or meets?
Part 3: Do you think that being obsessed with pop culture is a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman does not have the strength to tell Jean that there would be no way to get a reservation at a high end restaurant on such short notice.
Part 1: Why do you think it matters to Bateman that he gets reservations at the best places?
Part 2: Why do you think Jean isn't worried or upset about the reservation snafu?
Part 3: Do you think that Bateman doesn't feel the urgent need to kill Jean as he does with other women?
Essay Topic 3
Evelyn hires midgets to be the wait staff at a party she throws, for the spectacle, it seems.
Part 1: How did you react when you first read that Evelyn hired midgets to staff her part?
Part 2: Do you think it's offensive to objectify other people for their differences? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about Evelyn as a person after seeing her taste in wait staff?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)