|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bateman compares his ______________ to the equipment that he has, trying to convince the man that his is superior.
2. Bateman sees a __________ sitting in a doorway with a small dog and he proceeds to lecture this person.
3. Bateman lounges on Evelyn's bed with Price in the room and watches as she ______________________.
4. What does Bateman's secretary remind him that he has to do while he is up and nursing a hangover after the restaurant?
5. What does Bateman reveal to Evelyn in reference to the whereabouts of Tim Price who is suddenly missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bateman experience when he is watching Bono in U2 for the first time when out with friends?
2. What does Bateman find out about his date one night with Patricia, as indicated by several messages on his answering machine?
3. What happens when Bateman decides to go to the store to pick up some groceries for a quiet night in?
4. Why doesn't Bateman want to share a pizza with the others, even though one person suggests they all do so?
5. Who is the other couple that is in the apartment with Bateman, Price, and the two women?
6. What is disturbing to Bateman about the party which Evelyn throws for the Christmas holiday?
7. What is the problem at the dry cleaners at the start of this section of the book which causes Bateman to argue with the owners?
8. What does the artist feel about the sushi that is being served at the dinner Bateman is attending at the start of the novel?
9. What does Bateman tell his co-worker during the lunch when they talk about the Bahamas, though his co-worker doesn't hear what Bateman said?
10. What are two of the subjects Bateman and his friends discuss when they are out at Harry's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, Tim Price is talking nonstop about the world, filling up the air with meaningless conversation.
Part 1: Why do you think Price felt the need to keep talking while riding in a taxi with Bateman?
Part 2: Do you think that you always need to talk in order to fill up quiet time in a conversation? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you would behave when you were in a car with a person like Bateman? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Bateman seems to be a killer of opportunity rather than one who plans ahead of time.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman kills men and their dogs so often in this book?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bateman doesn't plan his kills ahead of time, though he seems to be so regimented in the rest of his life?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman likes to kill a particular sort of person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bateman decides to give Evelyn a chocolate covered urinal cake to play a mean prank on her.
Part 1: Why do you think Bateman decided to try to give Evelyn this disgusting dessert?
Part 2: Why do you think Bateman doesn't get the satisfaction he expected from this prank of sorts?
Part 3: Do you think Bateman has the ability to care about anyone in his life? Why or why not?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)