|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
2. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
3. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
4. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
5. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the author imparts some popular and groundbreaking events that occurred throughout 1960s culture.
Part 1) What role did groups like the Weathermen play in the book?
Part 2) What portrayal of the Vietnam War was the author able to put forward to give a true sense of the country's feelings about the war?
Part 3) What purpose did the author have for including so many references to 1960s culture in regard to setting a tone?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Dawn. In what way did Dawn create her own depression by placing the blame on Merry's indiscretions?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)