Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
2. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
3. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
4. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
5. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Dawn. In what way did Dawn create her own depression by placing the blame on Merry's indiscretions?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, one of the things given a great deal of detail is the author's portrayal of America.
Part 1) How does Swede's love of America reflect the sentiments of his neighborhood growing up?
Part 2) What do Merry's political beliefs as a young woman say about her feelings towards America?
Part 3) Does the author paint a favorable picture of America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the family structure in the book. What might the author be saying about the typical portrayal of the family structure based on his depiction of Swede's family?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)