|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Swede take a phone call from at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
3. What kind of condition had Dawn been suffering for five years after Merry's disappearance?
4. What does the narrator say Swede's love for would disgust Merry?
5. In what state did Merry set off her second bomb?
Essay Topic 1
One of the major factors to create Merry's militant actions is the impact of Swede's kiss to Merry as a child.
Part 1) What is telling of Merry based on her request that her father kiss her like he would her mother?
Part 2) What about Swede's sudden pullback after he had kissed Merry as a child could have caused her militant behavior later in life?
Part 3) What about Swede's inability to understand the impact his kiss had on Merry suggests he is unable to relate to others in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, one of the things given a great deal of detail is the author's portrayal of America.
Part 1) How does Swede's love of America reflect the sentiments of his neighborhood growing up?
Part 2) What do Merry's political beliefs as a young woman say about her feelings towards America?
Part 3) Does the author paint a favorable picture of America?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jerry and Swede. What is significant about the personality and moral differences in these two characters?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)