|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the trip to that Dawn and Swede took that Dawn discusses at the dinner party in Chapter 9?
2. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
3. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
4. What has Dawn made after going through the emotional devastation of losing Merry according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
5. Who does Lou write letters to complaining about the president in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
2. Why did Dawn choose to raise cattle according to the narrator?
3. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
4. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
5. How does Merry live as a Jain?
6. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
7. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
8. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
9. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
10. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of tone. What details is the author able to introduce about the characters by using varying tones in one chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)