|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Dawn go to for her facelift?
2. What is the name of Barry's militant non-conformist wife?
3. What is the family's name that first hid Merry after the bombing?
4. What does Merry admit to Swede that she is not compassionate enough to quit eating but will eventually in Chapter 6?
5. What is Bill Orcutt's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
2. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
3. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
4. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
6. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
7. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
8. How does Merry live as a Jain?
9. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
10. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, one of the things given a great deal of detail is the author's portrayal of America.
Part 1) How does Swede's love of America reflect the sentiments of his neighborhood growing up?
Part 2) What do Merry's political beliefs as a young woman say about her feelings towards America?
Part 3) Does the author paint a favorable picture of America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Lou Levov. What about Lou's upbringing influenced the way he raised his children and pushed his ideals on their lives?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)