|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of condition had Dawn been suffering for five years after Merry's disappearance?
2. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
3. What does Marcia remark has changed since Lou's time in Chapter 8?
4. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
5. Why did Swede knock Bill down in high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Lou Levov. What about Lou's upbringing influenced the way he raised his children and pushed his ideals on their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, one of the things given a great deal of detail is the author's portrayal of America.
Part 1) How does Swede's love of America reflect the sentiments of his neighborhood growing up?
Part 2) What do Merry's political beliefs as a young woman say about her feelings towards America?
Part 3) Does the author paint a favorable picture of America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of the reunion as a frame story for Swede. What were you able to learn about Swede that you would not had the author not been at the reunion?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)