|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Merry's speech therapist she stayed with after the bombing?
2. What has Dawn made after going through the emotional devastation of losing Merry according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
3. How does Bill take Swede's comment that Bill would be happy living in his house in Chapter 9?
4. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
5. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
2. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
3. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
4. How does Merry live as a Jain?
5. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
6. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
7. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
8. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
9. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
10. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of tone. What details is the author able to introduce about the characters by using varying tones in one chapter?
Essay Topic 2
One of the major factors to create Merry's militant actions is the impact of Swede's kiss to Merry as a child.
Part 1) What is telling of Merry based on her request that her father kiss her like he would her mother?
Part 2) What about Swede's sudden pullback after he had kissed Merry as a child could have caused her militant behavior later in life?
Part 3) What about Swede's inability to understand the impact his kiss had on Merry suggests he is unable to relate to others in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)