|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
2. What is the name of a Jewish man who praises Swede and pressures him to join a local Jewish organization?
3. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
4. Why are the Orcutts and other couples over at Swede's home in Chapter 7?
5. How long did Swede have an affair with Sheila Salzman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the letter Swede receives from Rita at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
3. How does Merry live as a Jain?
4. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
5. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
6. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
7. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
8. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
9. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
10. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the story it becomes clear that the author has made use of a narrator to tell this story.
Part 1) What purpose might the author have for choosing to use a narrator to tell the story of Swede?
Part 2) What is that reader able to learn about the book's characters that they would not have because of the narrator?
Part 3) What clues are given to suggest that the author has used his own persona as the narrator of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)