|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Lou send copies of letters that he wrote to President Johnson?
2. What word is used to describe Bill in addition to his feeling slightly superior?
3. Who was a great friend with Dawn's father before he passed away?
4. What movie do Lou and Swede discuss in Chapter 8?
5. Where would Dawn go to swim to get away from others?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
2. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
3. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
4. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
5. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
6. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
7. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
8. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
9. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
10. How does Merry live as a Jain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Lou Levov. What about Lou's upbringing influenced the way he raised his children and pushed his ideals on their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
Essay Topic 3
One of the major factors to create Merry's militant actions is the impact of Swede's kiss to Merry as a child.
Part 1) What is telling of Merry based on her request that her father kiss her like he would her mother?
Part 2) What about Swede's sudden pullback after he had kissed Merry as a child could have caused her militant behavior later in life?
Part 3) What about Swede's inability to understand the impact his kiss had on Merry suggests he is unable to relate to others in his life?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)