|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rita tell Swede that Merry is working in Chapter 5?
2. Where does Swede recall knocking Bill flat when they were in high school?
3. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
4. What is the name of Dawn's doctor who gave her the facelift?
5. Where does Swede take a phone call from at the beginning of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Swede describe the time during the riots with his employee Vicky?
2. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
3. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
4. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
5. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
6. What is the nature of the letter Swede receives from Rita at the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
8. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
9. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
10. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of the reunion as a frame story for Swede. What were you able to learn about Swede that you would not had the author not been at the reunion?
Essay Topic 2
One of the major factors to create Merry's militant actions is the impact of Swede's kiss to Merry as a child.
Part 1) What is telling of Merry based on her request that her father kiss her like he would her mother?
Part 2) What about Swede's sudden pullback after he had kissed Merry as a child could have caused her militant behavior later in life?
Part 3) What about Swede's inability to understand the impact his kiss had on Merry suggests he is unable to relate to others in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Merry. What is telling about the true nature of Merry based on her non-conformist choices like being militant or becoming a Jain?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)