|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words was not used to describe Bill's wife?
2. What does Lou do to Swede for hanging onto the factory in Newark?
3. How many vows of renunciation does Merry say she has taken in the book?
4. Who does Swede assume has already called the police about Merry in Chapter 9?
5. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
2. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
3. How does Swede describe the time during the riots with his employee Vicky?
4. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
5. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
6. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
7. How does Marcia describe Dawn's beauty pageants?
8. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
9. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
10. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the family structure in the book. What might the author be saying about the typical portrayal of the family structure based on his depiction of Swede's family?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Rita Cohen. What purpose did Rita's character serve to further the story other than terrorizing Swede?
Essay Topic 3
One of the major factors to create Merry's militant actions is the impact of Swede's kiss to Merry as a child.
Part 1) What is telling of Merry based on her request that her father kiss her like he would her mother?
Part 2) What about Swede's sudden pullback after he had kissed Merry as a child could have caused her militant behavior later in life?
Part 3) What about Swede's inability to understand the impact his kiss had on Merry suggests he is unable to relate to others in his life?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)