|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
2. How many vows of renunciation does Merry say she has taken in the book?
3. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
4. Who laughs at the end of Chapter 9 after Jessie stabs Lou with a fork?
5. How much money does Rita keep from Merry that was from Swede?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
3. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
4. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
5. What is the nature of the letter Swede receives from Rita at the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
7. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
8. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
9. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
10. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the family structure in the book. What might the author be saying about the typical portrayal of the family structure based on his depiction of Swede's family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the structure of society in the book. What might the author be saying about social stereotypes based on his portrayal of Swede and his friends?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character Dawn and Marcia. What do the differences in these two characters' ideologies suggest about the natures of their characters?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)