|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family's name that first hid Merry after the bombing?
2. What is the name of the architect building Dawn and Swede's new home?
3. What is the name of Barry's militant non-conformist wife?
4. In what state did Merry set off her second bomb?
5. How long did Swede have an affair with Sheila Salzman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
2. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
3. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
4. Why did Dawn choose to raise cattle according to the narrator?
5. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
6. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
7. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
8. What is the nature of the letter Swede receives from Rita at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
10. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character Dawn and Marcia. What do the differences in these two characters' ideologies suggest about the natures of their characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Merry. What is telling about the true nature of Merry based on her non-conformist choices like being militant or becoming a Jain?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Lou Levov. What about Lou's upbringing influenced the way he raised his children and pushed his ideals on their lives?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)