|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Swede recall knocking Bill flat when they were in high school?
2. What almost happens to Lou after Jerry finds out that he sent his ex-wife money?
3. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
4. What part of Rimrock does Swede live in?
5. What did Dawn not have when dealing with peoples' reactions to her beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
2. What does Lou say he is ashamed of Jerry for in Chapter 7?
3. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
5. How is Swede's conversation with Bill, Jessie, and Lou described in Chapter 9?
6. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
7. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
8. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
9. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
10. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, one of the things given a great deal of detail is the author's portrayal of America.
Part 1) How does Swede's love of America reflect the sentiments of his neighborhood growing up?
Part 2) What do Merry's political beliefs as a young woman say about her feelings towards America?
Part 3) Does the author paint a favorable picture of America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Rita Cohen. What purpose did Rita's character serve to further the story other than terrorizing Swede?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character Dawn and Marcia. What do the differences in these two characters' ideologies suggest about the natures of their characters?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)