|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Rimrock does Swede live in?
2. Who laughs at the end of Chapter 9 after Jessie stabs Lou with a fork?
3. Who is the name of the person at the gas station that the narrator remembers the day the war ended?
4. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
5. What does the narrator say Swede's love for would disgust Merry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
2. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
3. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
4. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
5. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
6. How does Merry live as a Jain?
7. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
8. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
9. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
10. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Rita Cohen. What purpose did Rita's character serve to further the story other than terrorizing Swede?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of the outcome of Swede's life. What can be responsible for the obstacles present in Swede's life to explain for the tragedy surrounding his home life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)