|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Barry's militant non-conformist wife?
2. What movie do Lou and Swede discuss in Chapter 8?
3. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
4. What almost happens to Lou after Jerry finds out that he sent his ex-wife money?
5. How is Bill described when he talks with Swede's wife just after having sex with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
2. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
3. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
5. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
6. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
7. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
8. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
9. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
10. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Dawn. In what way did Dawn create her own depression by placing the blame on Merry's indiscretions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of the outcome of Swede's life. What can be responsible for the obstacles present in Swede's life to explain for the tragedy surrounding his home life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the structure of society in the book. What might the author be saying about social stereotypes based on his portrayal of Swede and his friends?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)