|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Merry study that is the reverence of life?
2. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
3. What movie do Lou and Swede discuss in Chapter 8?
4. Who does Swede see pretending to listen closely in Chapter 9?
5. Where does Rita tell Swede that Merry is working in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
2. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
3. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
4. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
5. What is the nature of the letter Swede receives from Rita at the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
7. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
8. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
9. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
10. How does Merry live as a Jain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the structure of society in the book. What might the author be saying about social stereotypes based on his portrayal of Swede and his friends?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of the reunion as a frame story for Swede. What were you able to learn about Swede that you would not had the author not been at the reunion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)