|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Dawn did as a way to distance herself from the stigma of being a beauty queen?
2. Whom does Swede feel are delighted with the outcome of corrupted children?
3. What did the narrator keep on his bedroom wall to keep track of the war?
4. Where does Rita tell Swede that Merry is working in Chapter 5?
5. Who let Merry stay with them in New York after the bombing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
2. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
3. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
4. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
5. What does Lou say he is ashamed of Jerry for in Chapter 7?
6. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
7. How does Merry live as a Jain?
8. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
9. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
10. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony of the outcome of Swede's life. What can be responsible for the obstacles present in Swede's life to explain for the tragedy surrounding his home life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the author imparts some popular and groundbreaking events that occurred throughout 1960s culture.
Part 1) What role did groups like the Weathermen play in the book?
Part 2) What portrayal of the Vietnam War was the author able to put forward to give a true sense of the country's feelings about the war?
Part 3) What purpose did the author have for including so many references to 1960s culture in regard to setting a tone?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)