|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede remember his mother's face not showing so much of in Chapter 7?
2. Who let Merry stay with them in New York after the bombing?
3. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
4. What does Lou do to Swede for hanging onto the factory in Newark?
5. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
2. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
3. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
4. How does Swede describe the time during the riots with his employee Vicky?
5. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
6. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
7. How is Swede's conversation with Bill, Jessie, and Lou described in Chapter 9?
8. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
9. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
10. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, one of the things given a great deal of detail is the author's portrayal of America.
Part 1) How does Swede's love of America reflect the sentiments of his neighborhood growing up?
Part 2) What do Merry's political beliefs as a young woman say about her feelings towards America?
Part 3) Does the author paint a favorable picture of America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Merry. What is telling about the true nature of Merry based on her non-conformist choices like being militant or becoming a Jain?
Essay Topic 3
The story of Swede offers a unique and heartbreaking look into the life of an apparent American hero.
Part 1) What impact might Swede's upbringing and success as an athlete have on the way his life played out?
Part 2) What impact did Dawn's vanity and infidelity have on Swede's plight?
Part 3) What is telling of Swede based on his wanting to have a tribute to his father written by the narrator?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)