Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
2. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
3. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
4. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
5. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the story it becomes clear that the author has made use of a narrator to tell this story.
Part 1) What purpose might the author have for choosing to use a narrator to tell the story of Swede?
Part 2) What is that reader able to learn about the book's characters that they would not have because of the narrator?
Part 3) What clues are given to suggest that the author has used his own persona as the narrator of the story?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)