|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator keep on his bedroom wall to keep track of the war?
2. What part of Rimrock does Swede live in?
3. Who does Swede see pretending to listen closely in Chapter 9?
4. Who does Swede assume has already called the police about Merry in Chapter 9?
5. What does the narrator say that Bill always challenged in Dawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merry live as a Jain?
2. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
4. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
5. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
6. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
7. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
8. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
9. How is Swede's conversation with Bill, Jessie, and Lou described in Chapter 9?
10. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, one of the things given a great deal of detail is the author's portrayal of America.
Part 1) How does Swede's love of America reflect the sentiments of his neighborhood growing up?
Part 2) What do Merry's political beliefs as a young woman say about her feelings towards America?
Part 3) Does the author paint a favorable picture of America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the dinner party in the book. How do the events at the dinner party represent the crashing down of everything in Swede's life?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)