|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lou concerned about along with children in Chapter 8?
2. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
3. What kind of condition had Dawn been suffering for five years after Merry's disappearance?
4. Who influenced Merry's thinking about woman revolutionaries and their need to sacrifice?
5. Whose meetings were described as the American Pastoral par excellence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
2. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
3. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
4. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
5. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
6. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
7. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
8. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
9. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
10. How is Swede's conversation with Bill, Jessie, and Lou described in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of Swede offers a unique and heartbreaking look into the life of an apparent American hero.
Part 1) What impact might Swede's upbringing and success as an athlete have on the way his life played out?
Part 2) What impact did Dawn's vanity and infidelity have on Swede's plight?
Part 3) What is telling of Swede based on his wanting to have a tribute to his father written by the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character Dawn and Marcia. What do the differences in these two characters' ideologies suggest about the natures of their characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the structure of society in the book. What might the author be saying about social stereotypes based on his portrayal of Swede and his friends?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)