|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many vows of renunciation does Merry say she has taken in the book?
2. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
3. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
4. Who influenced Merry's thinking about woman revolutionaries and their need to sacrifice?
5. What kind of condition had Dawn been suffering for five years after Merry's disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
2. How does Merry live as a Jain?
3. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
4. What is the nature of the letter Swede receives from Rita at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
6. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
7. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
8. Why did Dawn choose to raise cattle according to the narrator?
9. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
10. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major factors to create Merry's militant actions is the impact of Swede's kiss to Merry as a child.
Part 1) What is telling of Merry based on her request that her father kiss her like he would her mother?
Part 2) What about Swede's sudden pullback after he had kissed Merry as a child could have caused her militant behavior later in life?
Part 3) What about Swede's inability to understand the impact his kiss had on Merry suggests he is unable to relate to others in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, one of the things given a great deal of detail is the author's portrayal of America.
Part 1) How does Swede's love of America reflect the sentiments of his neighborhood growing up?
Part 2) What do Merry's political beliefs as a young woman say about her feelings towards America?
Part 3) Does the author paint a favorable picture of America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the dinner party in the book. How do the events at the dinner party represent the crashing down of everything in Swede's life?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)