|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
2. How many vows of renunciation does Merry say she has taken in the book?
3. To whom does Lou send copies of letters that he wrote to President Johnson?
4. What did the narrator keep on his bedroom wall to keep track of the war?
5. Which of the following things does Sheila not say to Swede regarding Merry in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
2. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
3. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
4. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
5. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
6. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
7. What does Lou say he is ashamed of Jerry for in Chapter 7?
8. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
9. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
10. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the structure of society in the book. What might the author be saying about social stereotypes based on his portrayal of Swede and his friends?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the family structure in the book. What might the author be saying about the typical portrayal of the family structure based on his depiction of Swede's family?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the dinner party in the book. How do the events at the dinner party represent the crashing down of everything in Swede's life?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)