|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Swede grow up?
2. What is the first war Merry become militant about?
3. What year did Nathan graduate from high school?
4. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
5. What is the name of the black worker at Swede's factory that stays with him during the riots?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
2. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
3. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
4. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
5. What does Swede remember about when Merry watched monks on TV?
6. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
7. Swede reads about bombs over five years after Rita's visit that remind him of Merry. How are they described?
8. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
9. What happens when Merry asks Swede if he would kiss her as he did her mother when she was a young child?
10. Describe Rita and Swede's conversation after she reveals she is Merry's friend in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Merry. What is telling about the true nature of Merry based on her non-conformist choices like being militant or becoming a Jain?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Rita Cohen. What purpose did Rita's character serve to further the story other than terrorizing Swede?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)