|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
2. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
3. What is the profession of the man who was killed in a bomb Merry set off in her hometown?
4. What does Rita tell Swede that she needs to get of Merry's during their first meeting?
5. What is Swede's entire community in love with in regard to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
2. How does Marcia describe Dawn's beauty pageants?
3. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
4. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
5. What is the nature of Nathan's reminiscence about "The Kid from Tomkinsville"?
6. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
7. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
8. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
9. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
10. How does Swede describe glove making to the narrator in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the structure of society in the book. What might the author be saying about social stereotypes based on his portrayal of Swede and his friends?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)