|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
2. How tall is Merry?
3. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
4. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
5. What is the name of the store Swede's father opened after the depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Nathan's reminiscence about "The Kid from Tomkinsville"?
2. What does Swede remember about when Merry watched monks on TV?
3. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
4. How does the narrator describe Swede and Merry at a seaside cottage and their return from it?
5. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
6. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
7. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
8. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
9. What is the nature of Nathan's conversation with Ira at the high school reunion?
10. What is Nathan fascinated with in regard to his childhood culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jerry and Swede. What is significant about the personality and moral differences in these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)