|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an article about Merry say about her that Swede hates?
2. What is Swede's entire community in love with in regard to him?
3. What kind of diary does Rita later make Swede give to her for Merry in Chapter 4?
4. What does Swede's daughter do to the local post office and general store as a radical stunt?
5. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
2. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
3. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
4. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
5. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
6. What does Swede remember about when Merry watched monks on TV?
7. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
8. Swede reads about bombs over five years after Rita's visit that remind him of Merry. How are they described?
9. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
10. Describe Rita and Swede's conversation after she reveals she is Merry's friend in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the dinner party in the book. How do the events at the dinner party represent the crashing down of everything in Swede's life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Dawn. In what way did Dawn create her own depression by placing the blame on Merry's indiscretions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)