Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator believe the tribute to Swede's father was a cover to hide?
2. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
3. How tall is Merry?
4. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
5. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
2. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
3. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
4. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
5. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
6. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
8. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
9. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
10. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the author imparts some popular and groundbreaking events that occurred throughout 1960s culture.
Part 1) What role did groups like the Weathermen play in the book?
Part 2) What portrayal of the Vietnam War was the author able to put forward to give a true sense of the country's feelings about the war?
Part 3) What purpose did the author have for including so many references to 1960s culture in regard to setting a tone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of tone. What details is the author able to introduce about the characters by using varying tones in one chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of the outcome of Swede's life. What can be responsible for the obstacles present in Swede's life to explain for the tragedy surrounding his home life?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)