Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator believe the tribute to Swede's father was a cover to hide?
2. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
3. How tall is Merry?
4. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
5. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
2. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
3. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
4. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
5. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
6. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
8. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
9. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
10. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Rita Cohen. What purpose did Rita's character serve to further the story other than terrorizing Swede?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)