|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say had not changed about Jerry besides his silly gait?
2. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
3. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
4. The narrator notes what about his neighborhood as a youth?
5. What is Rita's last name in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Swede's tribute to his father?
2. How does the narrator describe the lack of a generation gap in his neighborhood?
3. What does Jerry tell Nathan that his brother Swede had in spite of being a big success in Chapter 3?
4. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
5. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
6. What happens when Merry asks Swede if he would kiss her as he did her mother when she was a young child?
7. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
8. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
9. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
10. How does Swede describe glove making to the narrator in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of tone. What details is the author able to introduce about the characters by using varying tones in one chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Merry. What is telling about the true nature of Merry based on her non-conformist choices like being militant or becoming a Jain?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character Dawn and Marcia. What do the differences in these two characters' ideologies suggest about the natures of their characters?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)