|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
2. What is the name of Merry's hometown?
3. Who is the man that pays alimony for two marriages at Nathan's class reunion?
4. What are both Swede and Merry described as being when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
5. What is Swede's daughter's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
2. What does Swede remember about when Merry watched monks on TV?
3. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
4. Describe Rita and Swede's conversation after she reveals she is Merry's friend in Chapter 4?
5. What does Jerry tell Nathan that his brother Swede had in spite of being a big success in Chapter 3?
6. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
7. How are Merry's physical attributes described as she grows up?
8. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
9. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
10. What is Nathan fascinated with in regard to his childhood culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of Swede offers a unique and heartbreaking look into the life of an apparent American hero.
Part 1) What impact might Swede's upbringing and success as an athlete have on the way his life played out?
Part 2) What impact did Dawn's vanity and infidelity have on Swede's plight?
Part 3) What is telling of Swede based on his wanting to have a tribute to his father written by the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of tone. What details is the author able to introduce about the characters by using varying tones in one chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jerry and Swede. What is significant about the personality and moral differences in these two characters?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)