Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator believe the tribute to Swede's father was a cover to hide?
2. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
3. How tall is Merry?
4. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
5. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
2. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
3. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
4. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
5. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
6. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
8. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
9. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
10. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of the reunion as a frame story for Swede. What were you able to learn about Swede that you would not had the author not been at the reunion?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the dinner party in the book. How do the events at the dinner party represent the crashing down of everything in Swede's life?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)