|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Swede is untouched by after their first meeting to write a piece for Swede?
2. What is Rita's last name in the book?
3. What does Swede's daughter do to the local post office and general store as a radical stunt?
4. What kind of monks does Merry watch on television as a child?
5. What does Swede wonder is connected with his preoccupations regarding Merry at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
2. How does the narrator describe the lack of a generation gap in his neighborhood?
3. Describe Rita and Swede's conversation after she reveals she is Merry's friend in Chapter 4?
4. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
5. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
6. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
7. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
8. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
9. How are Merry's physical attributes described as she grows up?
10. What does Swede remember about when Merry watched monks on TV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of the reunion as a frame story for Swede. What were you able to learn about Swede that you would not had the author not been at the reunion?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Merry. What is telling about the true nature of Merry based on her non-conformist choices like being militant or becoming a Jain?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jerry and Swede. What is significant about the personality and moral differences in these two characters?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)