|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
2. What does Jerry say Swede lacked and is what killed him when talking with Nathan at the class reunion?
3. What is the profession of the man who was killed in a bomb Merry set off in her hometown?
4. Which of the following things does the narrator not say Swede's athletic talent obligated him to be?
5. Swede's healthy self-image changes so that he senses his life is what in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
2. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
3. How does the narrator describe the lack of a generation gap in his neighborhood?
4. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
5. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
6. What is the nature of Nathan's reminiscence about "The Kid from Tomkinsville"?
7. What does Jerry tell Nathan that his brother Swede had in spite of being a big success in Chapter 3?
8. Describe Rita and Swede's conversation after she reveals she is Merry's friend in Chapter 4?
9. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
10. How does the narrator describe Swede's tribute to his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jerry and Swede. What is significant about the personality and moral differences in these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character Dawn and Marcia. What do the differences in these two characters' ideologies suggest about the natures of their characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the structure of society in the book. What might the author be saying about social stereotypes based on his portrayal of Swede and his friends?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)