|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Swede's daughter's name?
2. Who is the recipient of a 14-year-old girl's kidney at Nathan's class reunion?
3. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
4. What did Swede's grandfather manufacture?
5. What does Swede's daughter have to see a therapist for as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
2. Describe Rita and Swede's conversation after she reveals she is Merry's friend in Chapter 4?
3. Swede reads about bombs over five years after Rita's visit that remind him of Merry. How are they described?
4. How does the narrator describe Swede's tribute to his father?
5. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
6. How are Merry's physical attributes described as she grows up?
7. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
8. What happens when Merry asks Swede if he would kiss her as he did her mother when she was a young child?
9. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
10. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jerry and Swede. What is significant about the personality and moral differences in these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Lou Levov. What about Lou's upbringing influenced the way he raised his children and pushed his ideals on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the structure of society in the book. What might the author be saying about social stereotypes based on his portrayal of Swede and his friends?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)