|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that adolescents sought more of compared to the adults in his neighborhood?
2. How is Rita's hair described in the book?
3. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
4. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
5. What does Rita tell Swede that she needs to get of Merry's during their first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
2. What happens when Merry asks Swede if he would kiss her as he did her mother when she was a young child?
3. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
4. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
5. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
6. How does the narrator describe Swede's tribute to his father?
7. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
8. How are Merry's physical attributes described as she grows up?
9. What does Jerry tell Nathan that his brother Swede had in spite of being a big success in Chapter 3?
10. What is Nathan fascinated with in regard to his childhood culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Rita Cohen. What purpose did Rita's character serve to further the story other than terrorizing Swede?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jerry and Swede. What is significant about the personality and moral differences in these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the author imparts some popular and groundbreaking events that occurred throughout 1960s culture.
Part 1) What role did groups like the Weathermen play in the book?
Part 2) What portrayal of the Vietnam War was the author able to put forward to give a true sense of the country's feelings about the war?
Part 3) What purpose did the author have for including so many references to 1960s culture in regard to setting a tone?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)