|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall is Merry?
2. How many years had Swede's daughter been in hiding according to Jerry in Chapter 3?
3. What trait is given to Dawn when she is first described in Chapter 4?
4. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
5. Whom does Swede remember watching on TV and has an imaginary conversation with in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Swede's tribute to his father?
2. What does Jerry tell Nathan that his brother Swede had in spite of being a big success in Chapter 3?
3. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
4. How does Merry live as a Jain?
5. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
6. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
7. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
8. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
9. What is the nature of the letter Swede receives from Rita at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character Dawn and Marcia. What do the differences in these two characters' ideologies suggest about the natures of their characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Lou Levov. What about Lou's upbringing influenced the way he raised his children and pushed his ideals on their lives?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)