|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator believe the tribute to Swede's father was a cover to hide?
2. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
3. What does one of Merry's doctors suggest it is easier for her to do than to face the high pressure of perfection?
4. What does Rita say Swede has to do for her if he wants to see Merry in Chapter 4?
5. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
2. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
3. What is Nathan fascinated with in regard to his childhood culture?
4. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. Describe Nathan's interaction with his old girlfriend Joy at his class reunion.
6. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
7. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
8. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
9. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
10. How does Swede describe glove making to the narrator in Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony of the outcome of Swede's life. What can be responsible for the obstacles present in Swede's life to explain for the tragedy surrounding his home life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the Jewish neighborhood in the book. What importance did this culture have in Nathan and Swede's upbringing and future?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)