|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the man that tells Nathan he wrote a paper for him in school say his life was changed by?
2. Where is Nathan's friend Alan a superior court judge?
3. How many days before Nathan's class reunion did Swede die?
4. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
5. What does the narrator say Jerry is accustomed to being in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
2. What is the nature of Nathan's reminiscence about "The Kid from Tomkinsville"?
3. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
4. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
5. How are Merry's physical attributes described as she grows up?
6. What is the nature of the description of Newark Maid Leatherware?
7. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
8. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
9. How does the narrator describe Swede's tribute to his father?
10. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of tone. What details is the author able to introduce about the characters by using varying tones in one chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Dawn. In what way did Dawn create her own depression by placing the blame on Merry's indiscretions?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of the reunion as a frame story for Swede. What were you able to learn about Swede that you would not had the author not been at the reunion?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)