|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Swede is untouched by after their first meeting to write a piece for Swede?
2. What does the narrator say the adolescents had respect for in regard to their parents in his neighborhood?
3. What is the narrator's name in the book?
4. What is Rita's last name in the book?
5. What is the name of Swede's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lou say he is ashamed of Jerry for in Chapter 7?
2. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
3. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
4. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
5. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
6. Swede reads about bombs over five years after Rita's visit that remind him of Merry. How are they described?
7. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
8. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
9. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
10. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Lou Levov. What about Lou's upbringing influenced the way he raised his children and pushed his ideals on their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of the reunion as a frame story for Swede. What were you able to learn about Swede that you would not had the author not been at the reunion?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Rita Cohen. What purpose did Rita's character serve to further the story other than terrorizing Swede?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)