|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede's daughter have to see a therapist for as a child?
2. What did Swede's grandfather manufacture?
3. Who is the man that pays alimony for two marriages at Nathan's class reunion?
4. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
5. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Merry asks Swede if he would kiss her as he did her mother when she was a young child?
2. Swede reads about bombs over five years after Rita's visit that remind him of Merry. How are they described?
3. What is Nathan fascinated with in regard to his childhood culture?
4. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
5. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
6. Describe Rita and Swede's conversation after she reveals she is Merry's friend in Chapter 4?
7. What is the nature of the description of Newark Maid Leatherware?
8. Describe Nathan's interaction with his old girlfriend Joy at his class reunion.
9. How does the narrator describe Swede's tribute to his father?
10. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Lou Levov. What about Lou's upbringing influenced the way he raised his children and pushed his ideals on their lives?
Essay Topic 2
The story of Swede offers a unique and heartbreaking look into the life of an apparent American hero.
Part 1) What impact might Swede's upbringing and success as an athlete have on the way his life played out?
Part 2) What impact did Dawn's vanity and infidelity have on Swede's plight?
Part 3) What is telling of Swede based on his wanting to have a tribute to his father written by the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Merry. What is telling about the true nature of Merry based on her non-conformist choices like being militant or becoming a Jain?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)