|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede's daughter have to see a therapist for as a child?
2. What is Mendy's last name in the book?
3. Besides being self-absorbed, what other word is used to describe Swede's daughter in Chapter 3?
4. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
5. What is the first war Merry become militant about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
2. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
3. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
4. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
5. What is the nature of Nathan's conversation with Ira at the high school reunion?
6. What is the nature of the description of Newark Maid Leatherware?
7. What happens when Merry asks Swede if he would kiss her as he did her mother when she was a young child?
8. What is the nature of Nathan's reminiscence about "The Kid from Tomkinsville"?
9. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
10. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Dawn and Merry. What does Dawn's insistence on making Merry her mirror image say about the struggles within these two characters
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of the reunion as a frame story for Swede. What were you able to learn about Swede that you would not had the author not been at the reunion?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of stuttering in the book. What did Merry's bout with stuttering suggest about her mental health?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)