|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say Swede's love for would disgust Merry?
(b) His work.
2. Which of the following things does Sheila not say to Swede regarding Merry in Chapter 9?
(a) She needed her.
(b) She needed to run.
(c) She was strong.
(d) She had changed dramatically.
3. How many vows of renunciation does Merry say she has taken in the book?
4. Who calls Swede at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bill Orcutt's wife's name?
2. What proceedings are Swede's parents watching on TV in Chapter 7?
3. Who does Swede assume has already called the police about Merry in Chapter 9?
4. What part of Rimrock does Swede live in?
5. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcia describe Dawn's beauty pageants?
2. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
3. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
4. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
5. Why did Dawn choose to raise cattle according to the narrator?
6. What does Lou say he is ashamed of Jerry for in Chapter 7?
7. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
8. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
9. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
10. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)