|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
(a) Dr. Dwyer's.
(b) Dr. Posner's.
(c) Dr. LaPlante's.
(d) Dr. Conlon's.
2. What does Swede feel he is in that is "carved out of time from which he would never be extricated"?
(a) A bed.
(b) A house.
(c) A coffin.
(d) A nightmare.
3. Whom is Lou ashamed of because this person keeps getting divorced?
4. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Dawn and Bill.
(b) Dawn and Barry.
(c) Bill and Marcia.
(d) Jim and Sylvia.
5. How is Bill described when he talks with Swede's wife just after having sex with her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
2. How much money does Rita keep from Merry that was from Swede?
3. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
4. What city does Dawn go to for her facelift?
5. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
2. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
3. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
4. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
5. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
6. How does Merry live as a Jain?
7. How does Swede describe the time during the riots with his employee Vicky?
8. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
9. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
10. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)