|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
(c) Her Catholic baptism.
(d) Her Judaism.
2. What does Swede remember his mother's face not showing so much of in Chapter 7?
3. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) In Boston.
(b) In Chicago.
(c) In his new house.
(d) In New York.
4. Who is the name of the person at the gas station that the narrator remembers the day the war ended?
5. What does Swede feel he is in that is "carved out of time from which he would never be extricated"?
(a) A bed.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A house.
(d) A nightmare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede believe he would do to Rita if necessary to get Merry back in Chapter 9?
2. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
3. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
4. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
5. Where does Rita tell Swede that Merry is working in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
2. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
3. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
4. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
5. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
6. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
7. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
9. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
10. How does Merry live as a Jain?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)