|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against what country did Swede join the marines for a final assault over in the book?
(a) North Korea.
(d) North Vietnam.
2. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her brother.
(c) The Miss New Jersey Pageant.
3. How is Bill described when he talks with Swede's wife just after having sex with her?
4. What kind of condition had Dawn been suffering for five years after Merry's disappearance?
(d) Suicidal depression.
5. What is the family's name that first hid Merry after the bombing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Swede knock Bill down in high school?
2. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
3. What is Barry's last name in the book?
4. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
5. What does the narrator say Dawn did as a way to distance herself from the stigma of being a beauty queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merry live as a Jain?
2. How does Marcia describe Dawn's beauty pageants?
3. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
4. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
5. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
6. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
7. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
8. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
9. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
10. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)