|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was a great friend with Dawn's father before he passed away?
2. What proceedings are Swede's parents watching on TV in Chapter 7?
(b) The Kennedy inauguration.
(c) The Johnson inauguration.
(d) The Bay of Pigs.
3. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
(a) Paul Bunyan.
(b) Johnny Appleseed.
(c) Daniel Boone.
(d) Huck Finn.
4. What food does Swede accidentally refer to as Merry's rather than Dawn's in Chapter 7?
5. Who influenced Merry's thinking about woman revolutionaries and their need to sacrifice?
(a) Frantz Fanon.
(c) Angela Davis.
(d) Mother Theresa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
2. What is the family's name that first hid Merry after the bombing?
3. Whom does Swede decide to call at the end of Chapter 6 to talk about Merry?
4. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
5. Who does Lou write letters to complaining about the president in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
2. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
3. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
4. How is Swede's conversation with Bill, Jessie, and Lou described in Chapter 9?
5. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
6. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
7. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
8. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
9. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
10. Why did Dawn choose to raise cattle according to the narrator?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)