|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Merry teach along with revolutionary ideas to Cuban refugees?
2. How long did Swede have an affair with Sheila Salzman?
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) One month.
(d) Four months.
3. What does Swede realize that Merry has been since she was fifteen after he sees her in Chapter 6?
(c) Mentally ill.
4. Who does Swede see pretending to listen closely in Chapter 9?
5. What is the name of Merry's speech therapist she stayed with after the bombing?
(a) Meredith Levov.
(b) Joy Helpern.
(c) Sheila Salzman.
(d) Marcia Umanoff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator keep on his bedroom wall to keep track of the war?
2. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
3. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
4. What does Swede believe he would do to Rita if necessary to get Merry back in Chapter 9?
5. What does the narrator say Dawn did as a way to distance herself from the stigma of being a beauty queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
3. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
4. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
5. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
6. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
7. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
8. What is the nature of the letter Swede receives from Rita at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
10. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)