|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Merry study that is the reverence of life?
(b) The Torah.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Koran.
2. What does Swede realize that Merry has been since she was fifteen after he sees her in Chapter 6?
(b) Mentally ill.
3. How is Bill described when he talks with Swede's wife just after having sex with her?
4. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
(a) Go back and get her.
(b) Turn her over to the FBI.
(c) Forget her.
(d) Send her to a psychiatrist.
5. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
(a) Live free or die.
(b) Agile, Mobile, Hostile.
(c) We will fight America to the last.
(d) We are the incubation of your mother's nightmares.
Short Answer Questions
1. What almost happens to Lou after Jerry finds out that he sent his ex-wife money?
2. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
3. How long did Swede have an affair with Sheila Salzman?
4. Who let Merry stay with them in New York after the bombing?
5. What does the narrator say Swede's love for would disgust Merry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
3. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
4. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
5. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
6. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
7. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
8. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
9. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
10. How does Swede describe the time during the riots with his employee Vicky?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)