|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) In his new house.
(b) In Chicago.
(c) In New York.
(d) In Boston.
2. Whom is Lou ashamed of because this person keeps getting divorced?
3. Since what occurrence does the narrator say Dawn hasn't been motivated to do anything in regard to Merry?
(a) Her pageant days.
(b) Her parents' death.
(c) The bombing.
(d) Merry's disappearance.
4. How many vows of renunciation does Merry say she has taken in the book?
5. What is Barry's last name in the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede feel he is in that is "carved out of time from which he would never be extricated"?
2. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
3. What proceedings are Swede's parents watching on TV in Chapter 7?
4. Where does Swede take a phone call from at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What does Swede know that Dawn must put on after the stain of Merry's bomb?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
2. Why did Dawn choose to raise cattle according to the narrator?
3. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
4. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
5. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
6. What reason does Swede say is the only reason Dawn entered beauty pageants?
7. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
8. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
9. What does Jessie do to Lou at the end of the book?
10. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)