|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proceedings are Swede's parents watching on TV in Chapter 7?
(b) The Johnson inauguration.
(c) The Kennedy inauguration.
(d) The Bay of Pigs.
2. Against what country did Swede join the marines for a final assault over in the book?
(b) North Vietnam.
(c) North Korea.
3. What part of Rimrock does Swede live in?
(a) New Rimrock.
(b) East Rimrock.
(c) Old Rimrock.
(d) West Rimrock.
4. Who is the name of the person at the gas station that the narrator remembers the day the war ended?
5. Whom does Swede decide to call at the end of Chapter 6 to talk about Merry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
2. What does Swede confront Sheila about in Chapter 9?
3. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
4. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
5. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does Swede come to about Sheila in Chapter 9?
2. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
3. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
4. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
5. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
6. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
7. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
8. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
9. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
10. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)