|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Barry's last name in the book?
2. What does Swede decide about the person that calls him that causes him to hang up on that person in Chapter 9?
(a) That he's tired of it.
(b) That she has no power.
(c) That he's done trying.
(d) That she doesn't exist.
3. Since what occurrence does the narrator say Dawn hasn't been motivated to do anything in regard to Merry?
(a) The bombing.
(b) Merry's disappearance.
(c) Her pageant days.
(d) Her parents' death.
4. What does Swede realize Merry is in after he admits she has destroyed herself?
(a) Deep depression.
(d) A world of hate.
5. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
(a) A deli.
(b) Cattle ranch.
(c) Clothing store.
(d) Jewelry store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lou write letters to complaining about the president in Chapter 7?
2. What did Merry study that is the reverence of life?
3. What is Lou concerned about along with children in Chapter 8?
4. Who does Swede assume has already called the police about Merry in Chapter 9?
5. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. What does Lou say he is ashamed of Jerry for in Chapter 7?
3. How does Swede describe Barry Umanoff and Marcia Schwartz's marriage?
4. How does Marcia describe Dawn's beauty pageants?
5. Why did Dawn choose to raise cattle according to the narrator?
6. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
7. How does Sheila explain her reason for taking Merry in, to Swede in Chapter 9?
8. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
9. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
10. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)