|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
(a) Send her to a psychiatrist.
(b) Go back and get her.
(c) Forget her.
(d) Turn her over to the FBI.
2. Who does Swede assume has already called the police about Merry in Chapter 9?
3. Which of the following things does Sheila not say to Swede regarding Merry in Chapter 9?
(a) She needed her.
(b) She needed to run.
(c) She was strong.
(d) She had changed dramatically.
4. Who influenced Merry's thinking about woman revolutionaries and their need to sacrifice?
(b) Frantz Fanon.
(c) Angela Davis.
(d) Mother Theresa.
5. What does Merry have a veil made of when Swede finds her in Chapter 5?
(b) Nylon stocking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Dawn did as a way to distance herself from the stigma of being a beauty queen?
2. In what state did Merry set off her second bomb?
3. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
4. What is the name of Barry's militant non-conformist wife?
5. What proceedings are Swede's parents watching on TV in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
2. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
3. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
4. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
5. How does Merry live as a Jain?
6. What does Lou say he is ashamed of Jerry for in Chapter 7?
7. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
8. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
9. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
10. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)