|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Merry's speech therapist she stayed with after the bombing?
(a) Marcia Umanoff.
(b) Meredith Levov.
(c) Joy Helpern.
(d) Sheila Salzman.
2. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
(a) Her Catholic baptism.
(c) Her Judaism.
3. To whom does Lou send copies of letters that he wrote to President Johnson?
4. Whom does Swede decide to call at the end of Chapter 6 to talk about Merry?
5. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Dawn and Barry.
(b) Dawn and Bill.
(c) Jim and Sylvia.
(d) Bill and Marcia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rita tell Swede that Merry is working in Chapter 5?
2. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
3. What does Swede decide about the person that calls him that causes him to hang up on that person in Chapter 9?
4. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
5. What is the family's name that first hid Merry after the bombing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcia describe Dawn's beauty pageants?
2. What does Swede realize regarding Merry's mental health in Chapter 5?
3. How does Swede compare his life to Johnny Appleseed?
4. What does Swede ponder about when thinking of Rita stealing his money?
5. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
6. How does Swede suggest that the Miss New Jersey pageant ruined Dawn?
7. Why did Dawn choose to raise cattle according to the narrator?
8. What does Swede witness when he walks in on Dawn and Bill in his kitchen during the dinner party?
9. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
10. How does Swede describe Bill and Dawn in the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)