|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) A pharmacist.
(b) A writer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A teacher.
2. What kind of monks does Merry watch on television as a child?
3. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
4. What does the narrator meet with Swede to write about near the end of Chapter 1?
(a) A profile on him.
(b) A tribute to his father.
(c) A story on his daughter Merry.
(d) An obituary.
5. What is the profession of the man who was killed in a bomb Merry set off in her hometown?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A writer.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator especially fascinated by in regard to his ability to remember his childhood?
2. What is the narrator's name in the book?
3. What is the first war Merry become militant about?
4. What nickname does Swede call the narrator as a young boy?
5. Where does the narrator say Mendy now live as a restaurant owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
2. Swede reads about bombs over five years after Rita's visit that remind him of Merry. How are they described?
3. How does Swede describe glove making to the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. How does the narrator describe Swede's tribute to his father?
5. How does the narrator describe the lack of a generation gap in his neighborhood?
6. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
7. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
8. How does the narrator describe Swede and Merry at a seaside cottage and their return from it?
9. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
10. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)