|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does Swede call the narrator as a young boy?
2. What does the narrator say that the Jews that were familiar with hardship did not want to waste?
3. How many years had Swede's daughter been in hiding according to Jerry in Chapter 3?
4. What does Jerry say Swede lacked and is what killed him when talking with Nathan at the class reunion?
(b) Street smarts.
(c) Common sense.
5. What does the narrator tell Jerry that the nostalgia of the reunion is least likely to present to explain why he came?
(a) Any surprises.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
2. What does Swede's daughter have to see a therapist for as a child?
3. What does Swede wonder is connected with his preoccupations regarding Merry at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
5. What does Rita say should happen to Swede for what he pays the workers in other countries to work in his factories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
2. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
3. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
4. How does Dawn describe her home with Swede to her architect?
5. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
6. How does Merry live as a Jain?
7. How are Lou's feelings towards the Nixon administration described in the book?
8. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
9. How is Bill Orcutt described in Chapter 7?
10. How does Marcia describe Dawn's beauty pageants?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)