|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator believe the tribute to Swede's father was a cover to hide?
(a) The pain associated with his daughter.
(b) His cancer.
(c) His missing his wife.
(d) His depression.
2. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
(a) Forward looking.
3. How tall is Merry?
(a) Close to six feet.
(b) Four feet nine inches.
(c) Five feet five inches.
(d) Just above five feet.
4. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
(a) The Marines.
(b) The Army.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Navy.
5. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
(a) Harmed her.
(b) Saddened her.
(c) Killed her.
(d) Ruined her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Swede's entire community in love with in regard to him?
2. Where is Nathan's friend Alan a superior court judge?
3. How is Rita's hair described in the book?
4. Nathan's friend Alan is the son of what?
5. Swede's healthy self-image changes so that he senses his life is what in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merry tell Swede she did while in Miami in Chapter 6?
2. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
3. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
4. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
5. What does Marcia remark about regarding social conditions in Chapter 8?
6. What is the nature of Swede's phone call with Rita at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
8. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
9. How is Swede's time as a marine described in Chapter 5?
10. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)