|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
(a) Glove making.
2. Whom does Swede remember watching on TV and has an imaginary conversation with in Chapter 4?
(a) Joy Helpern.
(b) Dorothy Dwyer.
(c) Rita Cohen.
(d) Angela Davis.
3. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
(a) A girlfriend.
(b) A daughter.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A pet.
4. What does the narrator tell Jerry that the nostalgia of the reunion is least likely to present to explain why he came?
(d) Any surprises.
5. What does Merry become temporarily interested in as a child that is associated with her grandmother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Merry's hometown?
2. What is Swede's last name in the book?
3. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
4. What kind of dance class does Merry take as a young girl?
5. What does the narrator say that the Jews that were familiar with hardship did not want to waste?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. Describe Nathan's interaction with his old girlfriend Joy at his class reunion.
3. How does Swede describe glove making to the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
5. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
6. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
7. What is the nature of the description of Newark Maid Leatherware?
8. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
9. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
10. What is Nathan fascinated with in regard to his childhood culture?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)