|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swede's daughter do to the local post office and general store as a radical stunt?
(a) Sets it on fire.
(b) Bulldozes it.
(c) Robs it.
(d) Bombs it.
2. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
(b) Forward looking.
3. What is Swede's last name in the book?
4. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
(a) The Marines.
(b) The Army.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Navy.
5. Nathan's friend Alan is the son of what?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A driver.
(d) A dry cleaner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had Swede's daughter been in hiding according to Jerry in Chapter 3?
2. Where does Swede take his first wife to receive a facelift?
3. What is the narrator's name in the book?
4. What is the name of Swede's father?
5. What is Swede's younger brother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
2. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
3. How are Merry's values as a Jain described in the book?
4. How is Swede's conversation with Bill, Jessie, and Lou described in Chapter 9?
5. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
6. Describe Nathan's interaction with his old girlfriend Joy at his class reunion.
7. What is the nature of Swede's memory of knocking Bill out on the football field?
8. What is the nature of Lou's discussion regarding the downfall of Newark in Chapter 8?
9. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
10. How is Swede's mother affected by Merry's disappearance in Chapter 7?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)