|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
(a) Their debt.
(b) The war.
(d) The plague.
2. Swede's healthy self-image changes so that he senses his life is what in Chapter 3?
(b) Out of control.
(d) In control.
3. Which of the following things does the narrator not say Swede's athletic talent obligated him to be?
4. What does Rita say Swede has to do for her if he wants to see Merry in Chapter 4?
(a) Travel with her.
(b) Have sex with her.
(c) Buy her a house.
(d) Give her money.
5. What kind of dance class does Merry take as a young girl?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Swede grow up?
2. Who is the recipient of a 14-year-old girl's kidney at Nathan's class reunion?
3. What kind of world does the narrator note that Swede has naturally incorporated himself into?
4. What is the name of the man that tells Nathan he wrote a paper for him in school at his class reunion?
5. What is Swede's younger brother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
2. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
3. What is the nature of Nathan's conversation with Ira at the high school reunion?
4. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
5. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
6. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
7. Swede reads about bombs over five years after Rita's visit that remind him of Merry. How are they described?
8. What does Swede remember about when Merry watched monks on TV?
9. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
10. How does Swede describe glove making to the narrator in Chapter 1?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)