|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the neighborhood in which Swede grew up?
2. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
(a) She hates her.
(b) She misses her.
(c) She pities her.
(d) She loves her.
3. What is the name of the store Swede's father opened after the depression?
(a) Newark Clothing Inc.
(b) Newark Maid Leatherware.
(c) The Car Store.
(d) Levov Leatherware.
4. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
5. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) A pharmacist.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A writer.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede's daughter do to the local post office and general store as a radical stunt?
2. Whom does Swede remember watching on TV and has an imaginary conversation with in Chapter 4?
3. Whom does the man that tells Nathan he wrote a paper for him in school say his life was changed by?
4. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
5. What trait is given to Dawn when she is first described in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Nathan's conversation with Ira at the high school reunion?
2. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
3. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
4. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
5. What is the nature of the description of Newark Maid Leatherware?
6. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
7. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
8. What does Jerry tell Nathan that his brother Swede had in spite of being a big success in Chapter 3?
9. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
10. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)