|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Swede remember watching on TV and has an imaginary conversation with in Chapter 4?
(a) Rita Cohen.
(b) Joy Helpern.
(c) Dorothy Dwyer.
(d) Angela Davis.
2. What does Nathan's old girlfriend that he runs into at the reunion tell him she regrets never letting him do?
(a) Touch her breasts.
(b) Hugg her.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Kiss her.
3. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
(a) The plague.
(b) Their debt.
(c) The war.
4. What does Merry stop doing as a teen in regards to hygiene?
(a) Taking a bath.
(b) Changing her clothes.
(c) Brushing her teeth.
(d) Washing her hair.
5. Besides being self-absorbed, what other word is used to describe Swede's daughter in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the adolescents had respect for in regard to their parents in his neighborhood?
2. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
3. How tall is Merry?
4. What nickname does Swede call the narrator as a young boy?
5. What is the name of the neighborhood in which Swede grew up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the lack of a generation gap in his neighborhood?
2. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
3. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
4. Describe Nathan's interaction with his old girlfriend Joy at his class reunion.
5. What is the nature of the description of Newark Maid Leatherware?
6. What does Swede remember about when Merry watched monks on TV?
7. What is the nature of Nathan's reminiscence about "The Kid from Tomkinsville"?
8. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
9. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
10. How are Merry's physical attributes described as she grows up?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)