|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rita say should happen to Swede for what he pays the workers in other countries to work in his factories?
(a) He should be hanged.
(b) He should be rewarded.
(c) He should be shot.
(d) He should be jailed.
2. What does Merry stop doing as a teen in regards to hygiene?
(a) Brushing her teeth.
(b) Taking a bath.
(c) Changing her clothes.
(d) Washing her hair.
3. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
(b) The war.
(c) The plague.
(d) Their debt.
4. What is the name of Swede's father?
5. What is Rita's last name in the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that adolescents sought more of compared to the adults in his neighborhood?
2. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
3. The narrator notes what about his neighborhood as a youth?
4. What does Rita tell Swede that she needs to get of Merry's during their first meeting?
5. What is the first war Merry become militant about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Swede and Merry at a seaside cottage and their return from it?
2. What does Nathan reminisce about regarding his high school memories while preparing a speech for his reunion?
3. What is the nature of Nathan's conversation with Ira at the high school reunion?
4. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
6. Swede reads about bombs over five years after Rita's visit that remind him of Merry. How are they described?
7. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
8. What does Merry begin doing in New York as a teenager?
9. What is the nature of the description of Newark Maid Leatherware?
10. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)