|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion does Swede practice?
2. Besides being self-absorbed, what other word is used to describe Swede's daughter in Chapter 3?
3. What does Merry stop doing as a teen in regards to hygiene?
(a) Brushing her teeth.
(b) Taking a bath.
(c) Washing her hair.
(d) Changing her clothes.
4. How many years does Swede become preoccupied with "a gruesome inner life" concerning Merry in Chapter 4?
5. What does Rita say should happen to Swede for what he pays the workers in other countries to work in his factories?
(a) He should be shot.
(b) He should be rewarded.
(c) He should be jailed.
(d) He should be hanged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cancer did Nathan suffer from?
2. What are both Swede and Merry described as being when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of the black worker at Swede's factory that stays with him during the riots?
4. What is Swede's entire community in love with in regard to him?
5. Where does Merry meet political people and take on a secret life as a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
2. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
3. What does Swede remember about when Merry watched monks on TV?
4. What does Nathan say his working from home saves him from when talking with Jerry at the class reunion?
5. How are Merry's physical attributes described as she grows up?
6. What is Nathan fascinated with in regard to his childhood culture?
7. What does the narrator say about the neighborhood's reason for idolizing Swede?
8. What is the nature of Nathan's reminiscence about "The Kid from Tomkinsville"?
9. How is Jerry described at the beginning of Chapter 3?
10. What does one doctor say about Merry's stuttering in regard to her perfectionist family?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)