|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Swede's features described in Chapter 1?
2. What did Swede's grandfather manufacture?
(c) Ladies' glove.
3. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
(a) Ruined her.
(b) Harmed her.
(c) Saddened her.
(d) Killed her.
4. What is the first war Merry become militant about?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) The Vietnam War.
5. In what state did Swede grow up?
(a) New York.
(c) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age is Merry when she and Swede are at a seaside cottage in the book?
2. What does the narrator tell Jerry that the nostalgia of the reunion is least likely to present to explain why he came?
3. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
4. Where is the bombing done by the Weathermen with which Swede believes Merry to be involved?
5. How many years does Swede become preoccupied with "a gruesome inner life" concerning Merry in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
2. How does the narrator describe the lack of a generation gap in his neighborhood?
3. How does the narrator describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
4. How does Swede describe glove making to the narrator in Chapter 1?
5. What does Jerry tell Nathan that his brother Swede had in spite of being a big success in Chapter 3?
6. How is Rita's first visit to the glove factory described?
7. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
8. How are Merry's physical attributes described as she grows up?
9. What is Nathan fascinated with in regard to his childhood culture?
10. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)