|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Swede remember watching on TV and has an imaginary conversation with in Chapter 4?
(a) Joy Helpern.
(b) Dorothy Dwyer.
(c) Angela Davis.
(d) Rita Cohen.
2. What did Swede's grandfather manufacture?
(a) Ladies' glove.
3. What is Swede's entire community in love with in regard to him?
(a) What he stands for.
(b) His confidence.
(c) His athleticism.
(d) His manners.
4. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
(b) Their debt.
(c) The plague.
(d) The war.
5. What does Rita say Swede has to do for her if he wants to see Merry in Chapter 4?
(a) Buy her a house.
(b) Travel with her.
(c) Give her money.
(d) Have sex with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
2. What religion does Swede practice?
3. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
4. Where did Swede's father open a second location of his store after the depression?
5. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Nathan give Jerry for coming to the reunion?
2. What does Rita tell Swede that Merry says about him and her mother?
3. What does Nathan decide he will do to complete his story on Swede in Chapter 3?
4. How are the adolescents in Nathan's neighborhood described in Chapter 2?
5. What does Jerry tell Nathan that his brother Swede had in spite of being a big success in Chapter 3?
6. How is Merry's bombing in her hometown at the end of Chapter 3 described?
7. Describe Nathan's interaction with his old girlfriend Joy at his class reunion.
8. What is the nature of Nathan's reminiscence about "The Kid from Tomkinsville"?
9. How does Rita taunt Swede sexually in Chapter 4?
10. How does the narrator say Swede's grandfather became a glove manufacturer?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)