|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Swede at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
(a) Go back and get her.
(b) Forget her.
(c) Send her to a psychiatrist.
(d) Turn her over to the FBI.
3. In what state did Merry set off her second bomb?
4. What does Marcia remark has changed since Lou's time in Chapter 8?
(a) Social conditions.
(c) The courts.
5. How much money does Rita keep from Merry that was from Swede?
6. Who is the name of the person at the gas station that the narrator remembers the day the war ended?
7. What does the narrator say that Bill always challenged in Dawn?
(a) Her vanity.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her mood.
(d) Her confidence.
8. Whose meetings were described as the American Pastoral par excellence?
(a) Marcia and Dawn.
(b) Dawn and Swede.
(c) Bill and Swede.
(d) Lou and Dawn's father.
9. What does the narrator say Dawn did as a way to distance herself from the stigma of being a beauty queen?
(a) Stayed at home.
(b) Dressed down.
(c) Didn't work.
(d) Raise cattle.
10. What almost happens to Lou after Jerry finds out that he sent his ex-wife money?
(a) A stroke.
(b) Becomes depressed.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) Goes into seclusion.
11. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
12. What is Bill Orcutt's wife's name?
13. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
(b) Her Judaism.
(d) Her Catholic baptism.
14. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
(d) None of the answers is correct.
15. What does Swede's brother refer to him as because he cannot take the brutality of the world?
(a) A bear.
(b) Gentle giant.
(d) A loser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede realize Merry is in after he admits she has destroyed herself?
2. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What word is used to describe Bill in addition to his feeling slightly superior?
4. Against what country did Swede join the marines for a final assault over in the book?
5. What has Dawn made after going through the emotional devastation of losing Merry according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)