|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of a Jewish man who praises Swede and pressures him to join a local Jewish organization?
2. How many times was Merry raped while moving around the country homeless?
(b) Three times.
(d) Four times.
3. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
(b) Her Judaism.
(c) Her Catholic baptism.
4. What is Lou concerned about along with children in Chapter 8?
(a) His weight.
(d) His job.
5. Where does Swede take a phone call from at the beginning of Chapter 9?
6. Where does Rita tell Swede that Merry is working in Chapter 5?
(c) New Haven.
7. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
(a) Dr. LaPlante's.
(b) Dr. Conlon's.
(c) Dr. Posner's.
(d) Dr. Dwyer's.
8. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
(a) Paul Bunyan.
(b) Daniel Boone.
(c) Huck Finn.
(d) Johnny Appleseed.
9. What word is used to describe Bill in addition to his feeling slightly superior?
10. Whom is Lou ashamed of because this person keeps getting divorced?
11. What does Swede realize that Merry has been since she was fifteen after he sees her in Chapter 6?
(b) Mentally ill.
12. Who was a great friend with Dawn's father before he passed away?
13. Who laughs at the end of Chapter 9 after Jessie stabs Lou with a fork?
14. Where was the trip to that Dawn and Swede took that Dawn discusses at the dinner party in Chapter 9?
15. What did Merry study that is the reverence of life?
(a) The Koran.
(b) The Torah.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What does Swede's brother refer to him as because he cannot take the brutality of the world?
3. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
4. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
5. What does Swede describe Dawn and Bill as at the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)