|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Swede assume has already called the police about Merry in Chapter 9?
2. What almost happens to Lou after Jerry finds out that he sent his ex-wife money?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) Becomes depressed.
(c) Goes into seclusion.
(d) A stroke.
3. What word does Swede use to describe his father as a mix with antagonism?
4. What kind of condition had Dawn been suffering for five years after Merry's disappearance?
(b) Suicidal depression.
5. What is the name of Merry's speech therapist she stayed with after the bombing?
(a) Marcia Umanoff.
(b) Meredith Levov.
(c) Sheila Salzman.
(d) Joy Helpern.
6. Where does Swede take a phone call from at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
(a) Bad ones.
(b) Mean ones.
(c) Wrong ones.
(d) Foolish ones.
8. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Thirty minutes.
9. How is Bill described when he talks with Swede's wife just after having sex with her?
10. Where does Swede recall knocking Bill flat when they were in high school?
(a) The hockey rink.
(b) The football field.
(c) The basketball court.
(d) The gym.
11. What has Dawn made after going through the emotional devastation of losing Merry according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
(a) No progress.
(b) Little steps.
(c) No effort.
(d) Great strides.
12. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
(a) Their home.
(b) Their marriage.
(c) Merry's disappearance.
(d) Dawn's facelift.
13. What did Merry teach along with revolutionary ideas to Cuban refugees?
14. Which of the following words was not used to describe Bill's wife?
(c) A drunk.
15. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
2. What does Swede realize that Merry has been since she was fifteen after he sees her in Chapter 6?
3. Where was the trip to that Dawn and Swede took that Dawn discusses at the dinner party in Chapter 9?
4. What does Swede believe he would do to Rita if necessary to get Merry back in Chapter 9?
5. Whom does Swede feel are delighted with the outcome of corrupted children?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)