|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does Dawn go to for her facelift?
2. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Jim and Sylvia.
(b) Dawn and Bill.
(c) Dawn and Barry.
(d) Bill and Marcia.
3. Since what occurrence does the narrator say Dawn hasn't been motivated to do anything in regard to Merry?
(a) Her parents' death.
(b) Merry's disappearance.
(c) Her pageant days.
(d) The bombing.
4. Which of the following things does Sheila not say to Swede regarding Merry in Chapter 9?
(a) She had changed dramatically.
(b) She was strong.
(c) She needed her.
(d) She needed to run.
5. What does Marcia remark has changed since Lou's time in Chapter 8?
(a) The courts.
(d) Social conditions.
6. What does Swede decide about the person that calls him that causes him to hang up on that person in Chapter 9?
(a) That she has no power.
(b) That she doesn't exist.
(c) That he's tired of it.
(d) That he's done trying.
7. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) In Boston.
(b) In his new house.
(c) In New York.
(d) In Chicago.
8. What does Swede remember his mother's face not showing so much of in Chapter 7?
9. What is the name of Barry's militant non-conformist wife?
10. What did the narrator keep on his bedroom wall to keep track of the war?
(a) A poster.
(b) A flag.
(c) A map.
(d) A wartime list.
11. Whose meetings were described as the American Pastoral par excellence?
(a) Bill and Swede.
(b) Dawn and Swede.
(c) Marcia and Dawn.
(d) Lou and Dawn's father.
12. What does Swede confront Sheila about in Chapter 9?
(a) Her mistreatment of him.
(c) Her hiding Merry.
(d) Their affair.
13. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
14. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
(b) Her parents.
(c) Her brother.
(d) The Miss New Jersey Pageant.
15. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
(a) A Baptist.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Jain.
(d) A Buddhist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
2. Whom does Swede feel are delighted with the outcome of corrupted children?
3. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
4. How many times was Merry raped while moving around the country homeless?
5. Who was a great friend with Dawn's father before he passed away?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)