|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swede's brother refer to him as because he cannot take the brutality of the world?
(a) A loser.
(b) A bear.
(d) Gentle giant.
2. What does Swede know that Dawn must put on after the stain of Merry's bomb?
(a) A dress.
(b) A persona.
(c) A new crown.
(d) A face.
3. Who let Merry stay with them in New York after the bombing?
(a) The Dwyers.
(b) The Gurliks.
(c) The Umanoffs.
(d) The Salzmans.
4. How is Bill described when he talks with Swede's wife just after having sex with her?
5. What does Swede realize Merry is in after he admits she has destroyed herself?
(a) A world of hate.
(c) Deep depression.
6. What does Swede describe Dawn and Bill as at the end of Chapter 8?
7. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
(a) Send her to a psychiatrist.
(b) Turn her over to the FBI.
(c) Forget her.
(d) Go back and get her.
8. Who laughs at the end of Chapter 9 after Jessie stabs Lou with a fork?
9. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
(a) Their marriage.
(b) Dawn's facelift.
(c) Merry's disappearance.
(d) Their home.
10. What does Swede feel he is in that is "carved out of time from which he would never be extricated"?
(a) A house.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A bed.
11. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
(a) Daniel Boone.
(b) Johnny Appleseed.
(c) Huck Finn.
(d) Paul Bunyan.
12. Where would Dawn go to swim to get away from others?
(a) Ocean City.
(b) Cape May.
(c) Stone Harbor.
13. Whom does Swede decide to call at the end of Chapter 6 to talk about Merry?
14. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Dawn and Barry.
(b) Bill and Marcia.
(c) Dawn and Bill.
(d) Jim and Sylvia.
15. How does Bill take Swede's comment that Bill would be happy living in his house in Chapter 9?
(a) As a mistake.
(b) As a slip of the tongue.
(c) As a joke.
(d) As hatefulness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Merry teach along with revolutionary ideas to Cuban refugees?
2. Since what occurrence does the narrator say Dawn hasn't been motivated to do anything in regard to Merry?
3. Who is the name of the person at the gas station that the narrator remembers the day the war ended?
4. Against what country did Swede join the marines for a final assault over in the book?
5. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)