|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against what country did Swede join the marines for a final assault over in the book?
(c) North Vietnam.
(d) North Korea.
2. Who calls Swede at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. How many times was Merry raped while moving around the country homeless?
(a) Four times.
(c) Three times.
4. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
(a) Clothing store.
(b) Cattle ranch.
(c) Jewelry store.
(d) A deli.
5. What does Swede's brother refer to him as because he cannot take the brutality of the world?
(a) A bear.
(b) Gentle giant.
(d) A loser.
6. Whom is Lou ashamed of because this person keeps getting divorced?
7. Who laughs at the end of Chapter 9 after Jessie stabs Lou with a fork?
8. What part of Rimrock does Swede live in?
(a) West Rimrock.
(b) Old Rimrock.
(c) New Rimrock.
(d) East Rimrock.
9. What does the narrator say Dawn did as a way to distance herself from the stigma of being a beauty queen?
(a) Raise cattle.
(b) Didn't work.
(c) Stayed at home.
(d) Dressed down.
10. Whose meetings were described as the American Pastoral par excellence?
(a) Dawn and Swede.
(b) Lou and Dawn's father.
(c) Bill and Swede.
(d) Marcia and Dawn.
11. What word does Swede use to describe his father as a mix with antagonism?
12. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
13. What does Swede confront Sheila about in Chapter 9?
(a) Her mistreatment of him.
(b) Her hiding Merry.
(d) Their affair.
14. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
(a) Wrong ones.
(b) Foolish ones.
(c) Mean ones.
(d) Bad ones.
15. What is the name of Barry's militant non-conformist wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the trip to that Dawn and Swede took that Dawn discusses at the dinner party in Chapter 9?
2. What almost happens to Lou after Jerry finds out that he sent his ex-wife money?
3. What does the narrator say that Bill always challenged in Dawn?
4. In what state did Merry set off her second bomb?
5. What proceedings are Swede's parents watching on TV in Chapter 7?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)