|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say Swede's love for would disgust Merry?
(d) His work.
2. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
3. What does Merry have a veil made of when Swede finds her in Chapter 5?
(d) Nylon stocking.
4. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
(a) Clothing store.
(b) Cattle ranch.
(c) Jewelry store.
(d) A deli.
5. To whom does Lou send copies of letters that he wrote to President Johnson?
6. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
(a) Foolish ones.
(b) Bad ones.
(c) Mean ones.
(d) Wrong ones.
7. Who was a great friend with Dawn's father before he passed away?
8. Which of the following words was not used to describe Bill's wife?
(b) A drunk.
9. Who is the name of the person at the gas station that the narrator remembers the day the war ended?
10. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
(a) Daniel Boone.
(b) Johnny Appleseed.
(c) Huck Finn.
(d) Paul Bunyan.
11. How is Bill described when he talks with Swede's wife just after having sex with her?
12. What does the narrator say that Bill always challenged in Dawn?
(a) Her vanity.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her confidence.
(d) Her mood.
13. Who let Merry stay with them in New York after the bombing?
(a) The Gurliks.
(b) The Umanoffs.
(c) The Salzmans.
(d) The Dwyers.
14. Why are the Orcutts and other couples over at Swede's home in Chapter 7?
(a) A funeral.
(b) For dinner.
(c) A Christmas party.
15. What does Swede realize Merry is in after he admits she has destroyed herself?
(b) Deep depression.
(c) A world of hate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a Jewish man who praises Swede and pressures him to join a local Jewish organization?
2. What does Lou do to Swede for hanging onto the factory in Newark?
3. What has Dawn made after going through the emotional devastation of losing Merry according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
4. In what state did Merry set off her second bomb?
5. Whom is Lou ashamed of because this person keeps getting divorced?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)