|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Merry's speech therapist she stayed with after the bombing?
(a) Meredith Levov.
(b) Sheila Salzman.
(c) Marcia Umanoff.
(d) Joy Helpern.
2. What does Lou do to Swede for hanging onto the factory in Newark?
(a) Shames him.
(b) Criticizes him.
(c) Encourages him.
(d) Helps him.
3. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
(a) Her Catholic baptism.
(b) Her Judaism.
4. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
(a) Her parents.
(b) The Miss New Jersey Pageant.
(d) Her brother.
5. Why did Swede knock Bill down in high school?
(a) For being mean.
(b) For insulting him.
(c) For being a bully.
(d) For making Dawn feel looked down upon.
6. What movie do Lou and Swede discuss in Chapter 8?
(b) Deep Throat.
7. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
(a) Forget her.
(b) Turn her over to the FBI.
(c) Send her to a psychiatrist.
(d) Go back and get her.
8. Whom is Lou ashamed of because this person keeps getting divorced?
9. To whom does Lou send copies of letters that he wrote to President Johnson?
10. What is the name of Dawn's doctor who gave her the facelift?
(a) Dr. Posner.
(b) Dr. LaPlante.
(c) Dr. Salzman.
(d) Dr. Levov.
11. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
12. Which of the following words was not used to describe Bill's wife?
(a) A drunk.
13. Where does Swede take a phone call from at the beginning of Chapter 9?
14. What did Merry teach along with revolutionary ideas to Cuban refugees?
15. What did Merry study that is the reverence of life?
(b) The Torah.
(c) The Koran.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Swede have an affair with Sheila Salzman?
2. Whom does Swede decide to call at the end of Chapter 6 to talk about Merry?
3. What did the narrator keep on his bedroom wall to keep track of the war?
4. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
5. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)