|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swede realize that Merry has been since she was fifteen after he sees her in Chapter 6?
(b) Mentally ill.
2. What does Swede feel he is in that is "carved out of time from which he would never be extricated"?
(a) A house.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A bed.
3. Who does Swede assume has already called the police about Merry in Chapter 9?
4. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
(a) Johnny Appleseed.
(b) Paul Bunyan.
(c) Huck Finn.
(d) Daniel Boone.
5. What kind of condition had Dawn been suffering for five years after Merry's disappearance?
(c) Suicidal depression.
6. What does Marcia remark has changed since Lou's time in Chapter 8?
(b) Social conditions.
(c) The courts.
7. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
8. What does Swede know that Dawn must put on after the stain of Merry's bomb?
(a) A persona.
(b) A new crown.
(c) A face.
(d) A dress.
9. Where does Swede recall knocking Bill flat when they were in high school?
(a) The gym.
(b) The football field.
(c) The basketball court.
(d) The hockey rink.
10. Whom does Swede decide to call at the end of Chapter 6 to talk about Merry?
11. What does Marcia say that without transgression there is none of in Chapter 8?
12. What is the name of Dawn's doctor who gave her the facelift?
(a) Dr. Salzman.
(b) Dr. LaPlante.
(c) Dr. Posner.
(d) Dr. Levov.
13. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
(a) Thirty minutes.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Ten minutes.
(d) One hour.
14. What is the name of a Jewish man who praises Swede and pressures him to join a local Jewish organization?
15. How many times was Merry raped while moving around the country homeless?
(a) Four times.
(c) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
2. What does Swede describe Dawn and Bill as at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What does Swede believe he would do to Rita if necessary to get Merry back in Chapter 9?
4. What word is used to describe Bill in addition to his feeling slightly superior?
5. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)