|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
(a) Dr. Dwyer's.
(b) Dr. Conlon's.
(c) Dr. Posner's.
(d) Dr. LaPlante's.
2. How many vows of renunciation does Merry say she has taken in the book?
3. What does Swede's brother refer to him as because he cannot take the brutality of the world?
(a) Gentle giant.
(c) A loser.
(d) A bear.
4. What part of Rimrock does Swede live in?
(a) New Rimrock.
(b) West Rimrock.
(c) East Rimrock.
(d) Old Rimrock.
5. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
(a) Thirty minutes.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) Five minutes.
6. What does Swede decide about the person that calls him that causes him to hang up on that person in Chapter 9?
(a) That she has no power.
(b) That he's tired of it.
(c) That he's done trying.
(d) That she doesn't exist.
7. What does Marcia say that without transgression there is none of in Chapter 8?
8. What does Swede remember his mother's face not showing so much of in Chapter 7?
9. What does Merry have a veil made of when Swede finds her in Chapter 5?
(b) Nylon stocking.
10. What is the name of the architect building Dawn and Swede's new home?
(a) Ira Posner.
(b) Mendy Gurlik.
(c) Bill Orcutt.
(d) Shelly Salzman.
11. Who influenced Merry's thinking about woman revolutionaries and their need to sacrifice?
(a) Frantz Fanon.
(c) Angela Davis.
(d) Mother Theresa.
12. What is the name of Barry's militant non-conformist wife?
13. What is Lou concerned about along with children in Chapter 8?
(b) His weight.
(c) His job.
14. Who was a great friend with Dawn's father before he passed away?
15. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
(a) Agile, Mobile, Hostile.
(b) We are the incubation of your mother's nightmares.
(c) Live free or die.
(d) We will fight America to the last.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
2. Who does Lou write letters to complaining about the president in Chapter 7?
3. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
4. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
5. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)