|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times was Merry raped while moving around the country homeless?
(a) Four times.
(b) Three times.
2. What is Lou concerned about along with children in Chapter 8?
(b) His job.
(c) His weight.
3. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
(a) A Baptist.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Jain.
(d) A Buddhist.
4. What does Swede believe he would do to Rita if necessary to get Merry back in Chapter 9?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Hurt her.
(c) Help her.
(d) Marry her.
5. What word does Swede use to describe his father as a mix with antagonism?
6. What did Dr. Salzman counsel the Levovs about?
(a) Dawn's facelift.
(b) Merry's disappearance.
(c) Their home.
(d) Their marriage.
7. What does Swede realize that Merry has been since she was fifteen after he sees her in Chapter 6?
(a) Mentally ill.
8. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
(a) Her Catholic baptism.
(c) Her Judaism.
9. What does the narrator say Dawn did as a way to distance herself from the stigma of being a beauty queen?
(a) Stayed at home.
(b) Dressed down.
(c) Didn't work.
(d) Raise cattle.
10. Whom does Swede feel are delighted with the outcome of corrupted children?
(b) Radical groups.
(d) His parents.
11. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
12. What did the narrator keep on his bedroom wall to keep track of the war?
(a) A poster.
(b) A map.
(c) A flag.
(d) A wartime list.
13. What is the name of a Jewish man who praises Swede and pressures him to join a local Jewish organization?
14. What is the name of Dawn's doctor who gave her the facelift?
(a) Dr. Posner.
(b) Dr. LaPlante.
(c) Dr. Salzman.
(d) Dr. Levov.
15. Against what country did Swede join the marines for a final assault over in the book?
(a) North Korea.
(c) North Vietnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Dawn go to for her facelift?
2. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
3. Why did Swede knock Bill down in high school?
4. What food does Swede accidentally refer to as Merry's rather than Dawn's in Chapter 7?
5. What is Barry's last name in the book?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)