|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dawn not have when dealing with peoples' reactions to her beauty?
(c) A sense of humor.
2. What does Merry have a veil made of when Swede finds her in Chapter 5?
(c) Nylon stocking.
3. How is Bill described when he talks with Swede's wife just after having sex with her?
4. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
5. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
(a) Jewelry store.
(b) Clothing store.
(c) Cattle ranch.
(d) A deli.
6. What does Swede describe Dawn and Bill as at the end of Chapter 8?
7. Whom does Swede feel are delighted with the outcome of corrupted children?
(a) His parents.
(d) Radical groups.
8. Why are the Orcutts and other couples over at Swede's home in Chapter 7?
(a) For dinner.
(c) A funeral.
(d) A Christmas party.
9. What city does Dawn go to for her facelift?
10. Who influenced Merry's thinking about woman revolutionaries and their need to sacrifice?
(a) Mother Theresa.
(b) Frantz Fanon.
(d) Angela Davis.
11. How does Bill take Swede's comment that Bill would be happy living in his house in Chapter 9?
(a) As a joke.
(b) As a mistake.
(c) As a slip of the tongue.
(d) As hatefulness.
12. What proceedings are Swede's parents watching on TV in Chapter 7?
(b) The Johnson inauguration.
(c) The Kennedy inauguration.
(d) The Bay of Pigs.
13. What did Lou often blame for Merry's bad behavior in addition to her mother?
(b) Her Judaism.
(c) Her Catholic baptism.
14. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
15. What story does Swede feel he relates to when he moves to the
(a) Paul Bunyan.
(b) Johnny Appleseed.
(c) Huck Finn.
(d) Daniel Boone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
2. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
3. What does Swede realize Merry is in after he admits she has destroyed herself?
4. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
5. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)