|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swede describe Dawn and Bill as at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What food does Swede accidentally refer to as Merry's rather than Dawn's in Chapter 7?
3. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
(a) We will fight America to the last.
(b) We are the incubation of your mother's nightmares.
(c) Live free or die.
(d) Agile, Mobile, Hostile.
4. What does Marcia compare Dawn's beauty pageant to in Chapter 8?
5. Who does Lou write letters to complaining about the president in Chapter 7?
(a) The governors.
(b) The committee members.
(c) The cabinet members.
(d) The mayors.
6. What is the family's name that first hid Merry after the bombing?
7. What is the name of a Jewish man who praises Swede and pressures him to join a local Jewish organization?
8. What is the name of Dawn's doctor who gave her the facelift?
(a) Dr. Posner.
(b) Dr. LaPlante.
(c) Dr. Levov.
(d) Dr. Salzman.
9. Why did Swede knock Bill down in high school?
(a) For being mean.
(b) For making Dawn feel looked down upon.
(c) For being a bully.
(d) For insulting him.
10. What is the name of Merry's speech therapist she stayed with after the bombing?
(a) Marcia Umanoff.
(b) Meredith Levov.
(c) Sheila Salzman.
(d) Joy Helpern.
11. Who laughs at the end of Chapter 9 after Jessie stabs Lou with a fork?
12. What does the narrator say Swede's love for would disgust Merry?
(c) His work.
13. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
(a) Foolish ones.
(b) Wrong ones.
(c) Mean ones.
(d) Bad ones.
14. What does Swede confront Sheila about in Chapter 9?
(a) Her hiding Merry.
(c) Their affair.
(d) Her mistreatment of him.
15. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
(c) None of the answers is correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Merry set off her second bomb?
2. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
3. Why are the Orcutts and other couples over at Swede's home in Chapter 7?
4. To whom does Lou send copies of letters that he wrote to President Johnson?
5. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)