|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Dawn and Bill.
(b) Dawn and Barry.
(c) Bill and Marcia.
(d) Jim and Sylvia.
2. What does Swede learn that Merry has become in Chapter 6?
(a) A Buddhist.
(b) A Hindu.
(c) A Baptist.
(d) A Jain.
3. What does Swede decide that Sheila is rather than omniscient?
4. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
(a) Dr. LaPlante's.
(b) Dr. Posner's.
(c) Dr. Dwyer's.
(d) Dr. Conlon's.
5. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
6. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
(a) Clothing store.
(b) A deli.
(c) Cattle ranch.
(d) Jewelry store.
7. Whom does Swede decide to call at the end of Chapter 6 to talk about Merry?
8. Why did Swede knock Bill down in high school?
(a) For making Dawn feel looked down upon.
(b) For being a bully.
(c) For insulting him.
(d) For being mean.
9. What does Swede realize Merry is in after he admits she has destroyed herself?
(a) Deep depression.
(d) A world of hate.
10. How long did Swede have an affair with Sheila Salzman?
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Four months.
11. What word does Swede use to describe his father as a mix with antagonism?
12. Who does Swede assume has already called the police about Merry in Chapter 9?
13. Whose meetings were described as the American Pastoral par excellence?
(a) Dawn and Swede.
(b) Lou and Dawn's father.
(c) Bill and Swede.
(d) Marcia and Dawn.
14. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) In his new house.
(b) In New York.
(c) In Chicago.
(d) In Boston.
15. What does Swede decide about the person that calls him that causes him to hang up on that person in Chapter 9?
(a) That she has no power.
(b) That he's tired of it.
(c) That she doesn't exist.
(d) That he's done trying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lou write letters to complaining about the president in Chapter 7?
2. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
3. What does the narrator say Dawn did as a way to distance herself from the stigma of being a beauty queen?
4. What does Merry have a veil made of when Swede finds her in Chapter 5?
5. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)