|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Swede recall knocking Bill flat when they were in high school?
(a) The football field.
(b) The basketball court.
(c) The gym.
(d) The hockey rink.
2. Where does Swede take a phone call from at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What is the name of a Jewish man who praises Swede and pressures him to join a local Jewish organization?
4. What does Merry admit to Swede that she is not compassionate enough to quit eating but will eventually in Chapter 6?
(c) Plant life.
5. What kind of business of Dawn's had Swede sold a year after Merry's disappearance?
(a) Cattle ranch.
(b) A deli.
(c) Clothing store.
(d) Jewelry store.
6. Whom does Swede feel are delighted with the outcome of corrupted children?
(b) His parents.
(d) Radical groups.
7. What does Dawn blame along with Swede for her poor condition after Merry's disappearance?
(a) Her parents.
(c) The Miss New Jersey Pageant.
(d) Her brother.
8. What is Barry's last name in the book?
9. What motto does Merry have written on her wall as a young woman?
(a) We are the incubation of your mother's nightmares.
(b) We will fight America to the last.
(c) Live free or die.
(d) Agile, Mobile, Hostile.
10. What does Swede describe Dawn and Bill as at the end of Chapter 8?
11. Where does Swede realize Dawn and Bill will live at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Boston.
(c) In his new house.
(d) In Chicago.
12. Whom is Lou ashamed of because this person keeps getting divorced?
13. Who is the name of the person at the gas station that the narrator remembers the day the war ended?
14. What does Swede decide about the person that calls him that causes him to hang up on that person in Chapter 9?
(a) That she doesn't exist.
(b) That he's tired of it.
(c) That he's done trying.
(d) That she has no power.
15. Why are the Orcutts and other couples over at Swede's home in Chapter 7?
(a) A funeral.
(b) A Christmas party.
(c) For dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family's name that first hid Merry after the bombing?
2. How long did Swede have an affair with Sheila Salzman?
3. How does Bill take Swede's comment that Bill would be happy living in his house in Chapter 9?
4. How many times was Merry raped while moving around the country homeless?
5. Who laughs at the end of Chapter 9 after Jessie stabs Lou with a fork?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)