|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merry able to explain Jainism to Swede without doing?
(c) None of the answers is correct.
2. Which of the following things does Sheila not say to Swede regarding Merry in Chapter 9?
(a) She was strong.
(b) She needed to run.
(c) She had changed dramatically.
(d) She needed her.
3. What does Merry have a veil made of when Swede finds her in Chapter 5?
(b) Nylon stocking.
4. What did Dawn not have when dealing with peoples' reactions to her beauty?
(a) A sense of humor.
5. What is the name of Dawn's doctor who gave her the facelift?
(a) Dr. Salzman.
(b) Dr. Levov.
(c) Dr. Posner.
(d) Dr. LaPlante.
6. Who does Swede see pretending to listen closely in Chapter 9?
7. Who let Merry stay with them in New York after the bombing?
(a) The Dwyers.
(b) The Salzmans.
(c) The Umanoffs.
(d) The Gurliks.
8. Who does Lou write letters to complaining about the president in Chapter 7?
(a) The governors.
(b) The mayors.
(c) The cabinet members.
(d) The committee members.
9. What almost happens to Lou after Jerry finds out that he sent his ex-wife money?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) Goes into seclusion.
(c) Becomes depressed.
(d) A stroke.
10. What part of Rimrock does Swede live in?
(a) West Rimrock.
(b) East Rimrock.
(c) New Rimrock.
(d) Old Rimrock.
11. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
(a) Forget her.
(b) Send her to a psychiatrist.
(c) Turn her over to the FBI.
(d) Go back and get her.
12. What does Swede confront Sheila about in Chapter 9?
(a) Her mistreatment of him.
(b) Their affair.
(d) Her hiding Merry.
13. What kind of people does Swede believe Merry could have fallen in with to explain her life?
(a) Bad ones.
(b) Foolish ones.
(c) Wrong ones.
(d) Mean ones.
14. What word is used to describe Bill in addition to his feeling slightly superior?
15. Who does the narrator say is the one who helped Merry become herself?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family's name that first hid Merry after the bombing?
2. Where does Rita tell Swede that Merry is working in Chapter 5?
3. How many vows of renunciation does Merry say she has taken in the book?
4. What is the name of Merry's speech therapist she stayed with after the bombing?
5. What is the name of the architect building Dawn and Swede's new home?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)