|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merry have a veil made of when Swede finds her in Chapter 5?
(d) Nylon stocking.
2. Whom is Lou ashamed of because this person keeps getting divorced?
3. Who does Swede see having sex in the kitchen of his house at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Dawn and Bill.
(b) Dawn and Barry.
(c) Bill and Marcia.
(d) Jim and Sylvia.
4. What is Bill Orcutt's wife's name?
5. What does Marcia say that without transgression there is none of in Chapter 8?
6. Who influenced Merry's thinking about woman revolutionaries and their need to sacrifice?
(a) Angela Davis.
(b) Mother Theresa.
(c) Frantz Fanon.
7. What almost happens to Lou after Jerry finds out that he sent his ex-wife money?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) Becomes depressed.
(d) Goes into seclusion.
8. What does Swede remember his mother's face not showing so much of in Chapter 7?
9. Who was a great friend with Dawn's father before he passed away?
10. What does Swede decide about the person that calls him that causes him to hang up on that person in Chapter 9?
(a) That he's tired of it.
(b) That she has no power.
(c) That she doesn't exist.
(d) That he's done trying.
11. Whose widow came to see Swede and was kind and forgiving in Chapter 5?
(a) Dr. LaPlante's.
(b) Dr. Posner's.
(c) Dr. Conlon's.
(d) Dr. Dwyer's.
12. What does the person Swede calls after he has seen Merry in Chapter 6 tell him to do in regard to Merry?
(a) Go back and get her.
(b) Send her to a psychiatrist.
(c) Turn her over to the FBI.
(d) Forget her.
13. What does Swede confront Sheila about in Chapter 9?
(a) Her hiding Merry.
(b) Her mistreatment of him.
(d) Their affair.
14. How far had Merry had been working from Swede's glove factory when Rita contacts him in Chapter 5?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) One hour.
15. Who laughs at the end of Chapter 9 after Jessie stabs Lou with a fork?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who let Merry stay with them in New York after the bombing?
2. What does Swede describe Dawn and Bill as at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What did Dawn not have when dealing with peoples' reactions to her beauty?
4. What is the name of a Jewish man who praises Swede and pressures him to join a local Jewish organization?
5. What does Marcia remark has changed since Lou's time in Chapter 8?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)