|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
(a) His group together.
(b) His money.
(c) His family.
(d) His sanity.
2. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
3. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
(a) A daughter.
(b) A girlfriend.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A pet.
4. What does Rita tell Swede that she needs to get of Merry's during their first meeting?
(a) Her Audrey Hepburn scrapbook.
(b) Some clothes.
(d) Her stuttering diary.
5. What does Merry stop doing as a teen in regards to hygiene?
(a) Brushing her teeth.
(b) Changing her clothes.
(c) Washing her hair.
(d) Taking a bath.
6. What is the name of Merry's hometown?
7. What is the narrator's name in the book?
(a) Jerry Levov.
(b) Swede Levov.
(c) Bill Orcutt.
(d) Nathan Zuckerman.
8. Where is the bombing done by the Weathermen with which Swede believes Merry to be involved?
(d) Greenwich Village.
9. What is the narrator especially fascinated by in regard to his ability to remember his childhood?
(a) How much he misses it.
(b) How fond he is of the memories.
(c) The depth of detail.
(d) How long ago it was.
10. What does the narrator meet with Swede to write about near the end of Chapter 1?
(a) An obituary.
(b) A profile on him.
(c) A story on his daughter Merry.
(d) A tribute to his father.
11. Where did Swede's father open a second location of his store after the depression?
(b) Puerto Rico.
12. What does Swede's daughter do to the local post office and general store as a radical stunt?
(a) Robs it.
(b) Bulldozes it.
(c) Bombs it.
(d) Sets it on fire.
13. What is Swede's younger brother's name?
14. What does the narrator say Swede is untouched by after their first meeting to write a piece for Swede?
(b) Other people.
(d) Anything negative.
15. What does the narrator tell Jerry that the nostalgia of the reunion is least likely to present to explain why he came?
(d) Any surprises.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man that pays alimony for two marriages at Nathan's class reunion?
2. What is Swede's daughter's name?
3. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
4. What did Swede's grandfather manufacture?
5. What kind of dance class does Merry take as a young girl?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)