|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
(a) The Army.
(b) The Navy.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Marines.
2. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
(a) The war.
(b) Their debt.
(d) The plague.
3. What does the narrator say that adolescents sought more of compared to the adults in his neighborhood?
(a) Higher ideals.
(b) Drive faster.
(c) Better education.
(d) Sexual freedom.
4. What does the narrator say that the Jews that were familiar with hardship did not want to waste?
5. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
(a) Audrey Hepburn.
(b) Greta Garbo.
(c) Eva Gabor.
(d) Marilyn Monroe.
6. What does Merry stop doing as a teen in regards to hygiene?
(a) Changing her clothes.
(b) Taking a bath.
(c) Brushing her teeth.
(d) Washing her hair.
7. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
(a) His group together.
(b) His sanity.
(c) His money.
(d) His family.
8. Whom does the man that tells Nathan he wrote a paper for him in school say his life was changed by?
(b) Nathan's father.
9. Where did Swede's father open a second location of his store after the depression?
(d) Puerto Rico.
10. Where does Swede take his first wife to receive a facelift?
11. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
(d) Forward looking.
12. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
(a) A girlfriend.
(b) A daughter.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A pet.
13. How tall is Merry?
(a) Four feet nine inches.
(b) Five feet five inches.
(c) Close to six feet.
(d) Just above five feet.
14. What is the name of Merry's hometown?
15. What is Swede's daughter's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days before Nathan's class reunion did Swede die?
2. How are Swede's features described in Chapter 1?
3. What does Swede wonder is connected with his preoccupations regarding Merry at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What does Rita say should happen to Swede for what he pays the workers in other countries to work in his factories?
5. What does the narrator say Jerry is accustomed to being in Chapter 3?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)