|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
2. What does the narrator say the adolescents had respect for in regard to their parents in his neighborhood?
(a) Their values.
(c) Their productivity.
(d) Sexual freedom.
3. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
(a) His sanity.
(b) His money.
(c) His group together.
(d) His family.
4. How many years had Swede's daughter been in hiding according to Jerry in Chapter 3?
5. What does the narrator say that the Jews that were familiar with hardship did not want to waste?
6. What is the name of Nathan's old girlfriend that he runs into at his reunion?
7. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
(c) Forward looking.
8. Where is Nathan's friend Alan a superior court judge?
9. What does Merry become temporarily interested in as a child that is associated with her grandmother?
10. What about Merry is Swede more patient and accepting of than her mother is?
(a) Her stuttering.
(b) Her shyness.
(c) Her depression.
(d) Her lisping.
11. What does Rita say should happen to Swede for what he pays the workers in other countries to work in his factories?
(a) He should be shot.
(b) He should be hanged.
(c) He should be rewarded.
(d) He should be jailed.
12. Nathan's friend Alan is the son of what?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A dry cleaner.
(d) A driver.
13. What is Mendy's last name in the book?
14. What does one of Merry's doctors suggest it is easier for her to do than to face the high pressure of perfection?
15. What is the name of the store Swede's father opened after the depression?
(a) The Car Store.
(b) Newark Clothing Inc.
(c) Newark Maid Leatherware.
(d) Levov Leatherware.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
2. What does Nathan's old girlfriend that he runs into at the reunion tell him she regrets never letting him do?
3. What is Swede's daughter's name?
4. Besides being self-absorbed, what other word is used to describe Swede's daughter in Chapter 3?
5. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)