|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years had Swede's daughter been in hiding according to Jerry in Chapter 3?
2. What is the name of the store Swede's father opened after the depression?
(a) Newark Maid Leatherware.
(b) The Car Store.
(c) Levov Leatherware.
(d) Newark Clothing Inc.
3. What did Swede's grandfather manufacture?
(b) Ladies' glove.
4. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
(a) She pities her.
(b) She loves her.
(c) She hates her.
(d) She misses her.
5. What does the narrator meet with Swede to write about near the end of Chapter 1?
(a) A story on his daughter Merry.
(b) A profile on him.
(c) An obituary.
(d) A tribute to his father.
6. What is the narrator especially fascinated by in regard to his ability to remember his childhood?
(a) How long ago it was.
(b) How fond he is of the memories.
(c) How much he misses it.
(d) The depth of detail.
7. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
(a) The war.
(c) The plague.
(d) Their debt.
8. What kind of dance class does Merry take as a young girl?
9. What year did Nathan graduate from high school?
10. How are Swede's features described in Chapter 1?
11. What does Rita tell Swede that she needs to get of Merry's during their first meeting?
(a) Some clothes.
(c) Her Audrey Hepburn scrapbook.
(d) Her stuttering diary.
12. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
(a) Eva Gabor.
(b) Greta Garbo.
(c) Marilyn Monroe.
(d) Audrey Hepburn.
13. Whom does Jerry not say Swede had to live with that caused pressure on him when talking to Nathan at the class reunion?
(a) Unsatisfiable wife.
(b) Mean son.
(c) Monster daughter.
(d) Unsatisfiable father.
14. What about Merry is Swede more patient and accepting of than her mother is?
(a) Her depression.
(b) Her stuttering.
(c) Her shyness.
(d) Her lisping.
15. What is the profession of the man who was killed in a bomb Merry set off in her hometown?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days before Nathan's class reunion did Swede die?
2. What does Jerry say Swede lacked and is what killed him when talking with Nathan at the class reunion?
3. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
4. What does Swede's daughter have to see a therapist for as a child?
5. What does the narrator tell Jerry that the nostalgia of the reunion is least likely to present to explain why he came?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)