|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swede wonder is connected with his preoccupations regarding Merry at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) His background.
(b) His job.
(c) The kiss he gave Merry.
2. What is the name of the family that Merry says she stays with when visiting New York in Chapter 3?
3. In what state did Swede grow up?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
4. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
(a) She loves her.
(b) She pities her.
(c) She hates her.
(d) She misses her.
5. What is the name of Merry's hometown?
6. What did Swede's grandfather manufacture?
(c) Ladies' glove.
7. How tall is Merry?
(a) Four feet nine inches.
(b) Close to six feet.
(c) Just above five feet.
(d) Five feet five inches.
8. What does the narrator say Swede is untouched by after their first meeting to write a piece for Swede?
(c) Other people.
(d) Anything negative.
9. What about Merry is Swede more patient and accepting of than her mother is?
(a) Her shyness.
(b) Her stuttering.
(c) Her depression.
(d) Her lisping.
10. What does Swede's daughter do to the local post office and general store as a radical stunt?
(a) Bulldozes it.
(b) Sets it on fire.
(c) Bombs it.
(d) Robs it.
11. Which of the following things does the narrator not say Swede's athletic talent obligated him to be?
12. What are both Swede and Merry described as being when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
13. How many days before Nathan's class reunion did Swede die?
14. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
(a) Ruined her.
(b) Saddened her.
(c) Killed her.
(d) Harmed her.
15. What kind of world does the narrator note that Swede has naturally incorporated himself into?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Jerry is accustomed to being in Chapter 3?
2. What does Rita say Swede has to do for her if he wants to see Merry in Chapter 4?
3. How are Swede's features described in Chapter 1?
4. What trait is given to Dawn when she is first described in Chapter 4?
5. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)