|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A pharmacist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A writer.
2. What is Swede's younger brother's name?
3. How tall is Merry?
(a) Five feet five inches.
(b) Close to six feet.
(c) Just above five feet.
(d) Four feet nine inches.
4. What is the first war Merry become militant about?
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The Korean War.
5. Where is the bombing done by the Weathermen with which Swede believes Merry to be involved?
(c) Greenwich Village.
6. What year did Nathan graduate from high school?
7. What does an article about Merry say about her that Swede hates?
(a) She is insane.
(b) That she has a stubborn streak.
(c) She is hateful.
(d) She is from a bad family.
8. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The Army.
(c) The Marines.
(d) The Air Force.
9. What does the narrator say the adolescents had respect for in regard to their parents in his neighborhood?
(a) Their productivity.
(c) Their values.
(d) Sexual freedom.
10. What kind of diary does Rita later make Swede give to her for Merry in Chapter 4?
(a) Her Audrey Hepburn scrapbook.
(c) A stuttering diary.
11. What does Merry stop doing as a teen in regards to hygiene?
(a) Taking a bath.
(b) Washing her hair.
(c) Brushing her teeth.
(d) Changing her clothes.
12. In what state did Swede grow up?
(b) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
13. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
(a) Harmed her.
(b) Saddened her.
(c) Killed her.
(d) Ruined her.
14. What is the narrator's name in the book?
(a) Swede Levov.
(b) Bill Orcutt.
(c) Jerry Levov.
(d) Nathan Zuckerman.
15. What is the name of the family that Merry says she stays with when visiting New York in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Merry's hometown?
2. Whom does Swede remember watching on TV and has an imaginary conversation with in Chapter 4?
3. What is Swede's daughter's name?
4. What are both Swede and Merry described as being when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
5. What is Rita's last name in the book?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)