|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are both Swede and Merry described as being when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
2. Swede's healthy self-image changes so that he senses his life is what in Chapter 3?
(a) Out of control.
(b) In control.
3. What nickname does Swede call the narrator as a young boy?
4. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
5. What about Merry is Swede more patient and accepting of than her mother is?
(a) Her lisping.
(b) Her shyness.
(c) Her depression.
(d) Her stuttering.
6. What is the name of the neighborhood in which Swede grew up?
7. How many years does Swede become preoccupied with "a gruesome inner life" concerning Merry in Chapter 4?
8. What trait is given to Dawn when she is first described in Chapter 4?
9. What does Rita tell Swede that she needs to get of Merry's during their first meeting?
(a) Her Audrey Hepburn scrapbook.
(b) Some clothes.
(c) Her stuttering diary.
10. Where does Swede take his first wife to receive a facelift?
11. What does Merry stop doing as a teen in regards to hygiene?
(a) Washing her hair.
(b) Brushing her teeth.
(c) Changing her clothes.
(d) Taking a bath.
12. What does the narrator meet with Swede to write about near the end of Chapter 1?
(a) A story on his daughter Merry.
(b) An obituary.
(c) A tribute to his father.
(d) A profile on him.
13. What kind of cancer did Nathan suffer from?
14. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
(a) Greta Garbo.
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Audrey Hepburn.
(d) Eva Gabor.
15. What does the narrator believe the tribute to Swede's father was a cover to hide?
(a) The pain associated with his daughter.
(b) His cancer.
(c) His depression.
(d) His missing his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Swede's daughter's name?
2. What kind of diary does Rita later make Swede give to her for Merry in Chapter 4?
3. Whom does Swede fail to call after Rita threatens him?
4. What does Swede wonder is connected with his preoccupations regarding Merry at the end of Chapter 4?
5. What does the narrator say had not changed about Jerry besides his silly gait?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)