|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Swede become preoccupied with "a gruesome inner life" concerning Merry in Chapter 4?
2. What does the narrator say that adolescents sought more of compared to the adults in his neighborhood?
(a) Sexual freedom.
(b) Drive faster.
(c) Higher ideals.
(d) Better education.
3. What are both Swede and Merry described as being when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
4. Nathan's friend Alan is the son of what?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A dry cleaner.
(d) A driver.
5. What year did Nathan graduate from high school?
6. What religion does Swede practice?
7. How are Swede's features described in Chapter 1?
8. What is Rita's last name in the book?
9. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
10. How is Rita's hair described in the book?
11. Swede's healthy self-image changes so that he senses his life is what in Chapter 3?
(a) In control.
(d) Out of control.
12. Where does Swede take his first wife to receive a facelift?
13. How tall is Merry?
(a) Four feet nine inches.
(b) Close to six feet.
(c) Just above five feet.
(d) Five feet five inches.
14. What does the narrator say had not changed about Jerry besides his silly gait?
(a) His long arms.
(b) His odd legs.
(c) His silly hair.
(d) His goofy smile.
15. What is the name of the store Swede's father opened after the depression?
(a) Levov Leatherware.
(b) Newark Clothing Inc.
(c) The Car Store.
(d) Newark Maid Leatherware.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dance class does Merry take as a young girl?
2. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of Swede's father?
4. What does Rita tell Swede that she needs to get of Merry's during their first meeting?
5. What does the narrator say Swede is untouched by after their first meeting to write a piece for Swede?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)