|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait is given to Dawn when she is first described in Chapter 4?
2. Which of the following things does the narrator not say Swede's athletic talent obligated him to be?
3. What year did Nathan graduate from high school?
4. The narrator notes what about his neighborhood as a youth?
(a) The close familiarity of the families.
(b) That the parents allowed the children to do as they wished.
(c) That everyone minded his own business.
(d) They all lived in a fine manner.
5. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
(a) She loves her.
(b) She hates her.
(c) She pities her.
(d) She misses her.
6. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
(c) Glove making.
7. Nathan's friend Alan is the son of what?
(a) A driver.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A dry cleaner.
(d) A doctor.
8. What does Swede's daughter do to the local post office and general store as a radical stunt?
(a) Bombs it.
(b) Bulldozes it.
(c) Robs it.
(d) Sets it on fire.
9. What about Merry is Swede more patient and accepting of than her mother is?
(a) Her shyness.
(b) Her stuttering.
(c) Her lisping.
(d) Her depression.
10. What does Swede's athletic performance help his community forget about?
(a) The plague.
(c) Their debt.
(d) The war.
11. What does the narrator say that adolescents sought more of compared to the adults in his neighborhood?
(a) Drive faster.
(b) Higher ideals.
(c) Better education.
(d) Sexual freedom.
12. What nickname does Swede call the narrator as a young boy?
13. What kind of diary does Rita later make Swede give to her for Merry in Chapter 4?
(b) Her Audrey Hepburn scrapbook.
(d) A stuttering diary.
14. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A writer.
(d) A pharmacist.
15. Besides being self-absorbed, what other word is used to describe Swede's daughter in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
2. What is the profession of the man who was killed in a bomb Merry set off in her hometown?
3. Where does the narrator say Mendy now live as a restaurant owner?
4. What is Swede's younger brother's name?
5. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)