|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Swede's last name in the book?
2. What is Swede's younger brother's name?
3. Whom does Swede remember watching on TV and has an imaginary conversation with in Chapter 4?
(a) Angela Davis.
(b) Joy Helpern.
(c) Rita Cohen.
(d) Dorothy Dwyer.
4. What does the narrator meet with Swede to write about near the end of Chapter 1?
(a) A story on his daughter Merry.
(b) A profile on him.
(c) An obituary.
(d) A tribute to his father.
5. Where did Swede's father open a second location of his store after the depression?
(a) Puerto Rico.
6. Where does Merry meet political people and take on a secret life as a teenager?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
7. What does the narrator say had not changed about Jerry besides his silly gait?
(a) His long arms.
(b) His odd legs.
(c) His goofy smile.
(d) His silly hair.
8. What does Jerry say Swede lacked and is what killed him when talking with Nathan at the class reunion?
(b) Common sense.
(d) Street smarts.
9. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) A writer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A pharmacist.
10. What nickname does Swede call the narrator as a young boy?
11. Who is the recipient of a 14-year-old girl's kidney at Nathan's class reunion?
(a) Marvin Lieb.
(b) Jerry Levov.
(c) Julius Pincus.
(d) Jim Dwyer.
12. Besides being self-absorbed, what other word is used to describe Swede's daughter in Chapter 3?
13. What does Rita tell Swede that she needs to get of Merry's during their first meeting?
(a) Her Audrey Hepburn scrapbook.
(b) Her stuttering diary.
(c) Some clothes.
14. What is Rita's last name in the book?
15. What does Rita say Swede has to do for her if he wants to see Merry in Chapter 4?
(a) Buy her a house.
(b) Travel with her.
(c) Give her money.
(d) Have sex with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
2. What does the narrator say Mendy is now obsessed with?
3. How does the narrator say Dawn feels toward Merry?
4. What trait is given to Dawn when she is first described in Chapter 4?
5. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)