|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the family that Merry says she stays with when visiting New York in Chapter 3?
2. What does the narrator say Jerry is accustomed to being in Chapter 3?
(a) Being ignored.
(b) Being listened to.
(c) Having his way.
(d) Demanding attention.
3. How tall is Merry?
(a) Close to six feet.
(b) Just above five feet.
(c) Five feet five inches.
(d) Four feet nine inches.
4. What does Jerry tell Nathan that Swede fought to keep in Chapter 3?
(a) His sanity.
(b) His group together.
(c) His family.
(d) His money.
5. What kind of diary does Rita later make Swede give to her for Merry in Chapter 4?
(b) Her Audrey Hepburn scrapbook.
(c) A stuttering diary.
6. What does Merry become temporarily interested in as a child that is associated with her grandmother?
7. What is the narrator especially fascinated by in regard to his ability to remember his childhood?
(a) The depth of detail.
(b) How much he misses it.
(c) How long ago it was.
(d) How fond he is of the memories.
8. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
9. What does Rita say should happen to Swede for what he pays the workers in other countries to work in his factories?
(a) He should be shot.
(b) He should be jailed.
(c) He should be rewarded.
(d) He should be hanged.
10. What is Rita's last name in the book?
11. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
(c) Forward looking.
12. How are Swede's features described in Chapter 1?
13. What does the narrator say Swede is untouched by after their first meeting to write a piece for Swede?
(b) Anything negative.
(c) Other people.
14. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
(b) Glove making.
15. What is the name of the neighborhood in which Swede grew up?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following things does the narrator not say Swede's athletic talent obligated him to be?
2. Nathan's friend Alan is the son of what?
3. What is the name of the man that tells Nathan he wrote a paper for him in school at his class reunion?
4. Where does Swede take his first wife to receive a facelift?
5. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)