|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides being self-absorbed, what other word is used to describe Swede's daughter in Chapter 3?
2. What did Swede's grandfather manufacture?
(b) Ladies' glove.
3. What is the name of the black worker at Swede's factory that stays with him during the riots?
4. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A pharmacist.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A writer.
5. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
(a) Glove making.
6. What does the narrator say the adolescents had respect for in regard to their parents in his neighborhood?
(a) Their productivity.
(b) Their values.
(d) Sexual freedom.
7. What does Swede's daughter do to the local post office and general store as a radical stunt?
(a) Sets it on fire.
(b) Robs it.
(c) Bombs it.
(d) Bulldozes it.
8. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
(a) Greta Garbo.
(b) Audrey Hepburn.
(c) Marilyn Monroe.
(d) Eva Gabor.
9. How old is Nathan as he prepares a speech for his high school reunion in the book?
10. What is the name of the family that Merry says she stays with when visiting New York in Chapter 3?
11. What is the name of the man that tells Nathan he wrote a paper for him in school at his class reunion?
12. What trait is given to Dawn when she is first described in Chapter 4?
13. Which of the following things does the narrator not say Swede's athletic talent obligated him to be?
14. What age is Merry when she and Swede are at a seaside cottage in the book?
15. How tall is Merry?
(a) Four feet nine inches.
(b) Five feet five inches.
(c) Just above five feet.
(d) Close to six feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
2. Where is Nathan's friend Alan a superior court judge?
3. What kind of cancer did Nathan suffer from?
4. Where does Rita first visit Swede in the book?
5. In what state did Swede grow up?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)