|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nathan's friend Alan is the son of what?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A driver.
(c) A dry cleaner.
(d) A doctor.
2. Whom does Merry ask Swede to kiss her like when they are returning from a seaside cottage in Chapter 3?
(a) A pet.
(b) A girlfriend.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A daughter.
3. What celebrity does Merry become obsessed with as a child?
(a) Greta Garbo.
(b) Eva Gabor.
(c) Marilyn Monroe.
(d) Audrey Hepburn.
4. Where does Merry meet political people and take on a secret life as a teenager?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
5. Whom does Swede remember watching on TV and has an imaginary conversation with in Chapter 4?
(a) Dorothy Dwyer.
(b) Rita Cohen.
(c) Joy Helpern.
(d) Angela Davis.
6. How tall is Merry?
(a) Four feet nine inches.
(b) Five feet five inches.
(c) Close to six feet.
(d) Just above five feet.
7. What does Rita say should happen to Swede for what he pays the workers in other countries to work in his factories?
(a) He should be jailed.
(b) He should be rewarded.
(c) He should be hanged.
(d) He should be shot.
8. What is Swede's daughter's name?
9. What is the name of the black worker at Swede's factory that stays with him during the riots?
10. What does Merry stop doing as a teen in regards to hygiene?
(a) Changing her clothes.
(b) Taking a bath.
(c) Washing her hair.
(d) Brushing her teeth.
11. What is the name of the neighborhood in which Swede grew up?
12. Besides being self-absorbed, what other word is used to describe Swede's daughter in Chapter 3?
13. What about Merry is Swede more patient and accepting of than her mother is?
(a) Her depression.
(b) Her stuttering.
(c) Her lisping.
(d) Her shyness.
14. What is Swede's last name in the book?
15. What does the narrator meet with Swede to write about near the end of Chapter 1?
(a) An obituary.
(b) A tribute to his father.
(c) A profile on him.
(d) A story on his daughter Merry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Swede's features described in Chapter 1?
2. What does the narrator say that the Jews that were familiar with hardship did not want to waste?
3. Whom does Swede fail to call after Rita threatens him?
4. What is Swede's entire community in love with in regard to him?
5. Whom does Jerry not say Swede had to live with that caused pressure on him when talking to Nathan at the class reunion?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)