|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator believe the tribute to Swede's father was a cover to hide?
(a) The pain associated with his daughter.
(b) His cancer.
(c) His missing his wife.
(d) His depression.
2. Which of the following words does the narrator not use to describe the post-war energy of his neighborhood in Chapter 2?
(a) Forward looking.
3. How tall is Merry?
(a) Close to six feet.
(b) Four feet nine inches.
(c) Five feet five inches.
(d) Just above five feet.
4. What military force does Swede join as a teenager?
(a) The Marines.
(b) The Army.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Navy.
5. What does the narrator suggest Swede's manner in kissing Merry when returning from the seaside cottage did to her?
(a) Harmed her.
(b) Saddened her.
(c) Killed her.
(d) Ruined her.
6. What is Swede's entire community in love with in regard to him?
(a) His confidence.
(b) His manners.
(c) His athleticism.
(d) What he stands for.
7. Where is Nathan's friend Alan a superior court judge?
8. How is Rita's hair described in the book?
9. Nathan's friend Alan is the son of what?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A dry cleaner.
(d) A driver.
10. Swede's healthy self-image changes so that he senses his life is what in Chapter 3?
(a) In control.
(d) Out of control.
11. How many days before Nathan's class reunion did Swede die?
12. How many years does Swede become preoccupied with "a gruesome inner life" concerning Merry in Chapter 4?
13. What kind of monks does Merry watch on television as a child?
14. What is the name of Merry's hometown?
15. What does Swede explain everything about to Rita when they first meet?
(b) Glove making.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Jerry is accustomed to being in Chapter 3?
2. The narrator notes what about his neighborhood as a youth?
3. What is Swede's younger brother's name?
4. What does the narrator say Swede is untouched by after their first meeting to write a piece for Swede?
5. Who is the man that pays alimony for two marriages at Nathan's class reunion?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)