|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange insight does Mozart seem to have regarding the Figaro problems?
2. Where does Salieri next meet Mozart?
3. In the staging of The Magic Flute described by Salieri, what does the sun represent?
4. Of what does Van Swieten accuse Mozart?
5. What is the tone of Salieri's comment that 'Our religion' is largely based on waxworks?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri use the information from the Venticelli to take further action against Mozart?
2. Comment on the irony of Salieri's situation at the end of this section of the play.
3. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
4. What is the significance of Salieri's words: " alone was empowered to recognize them for what they were'?
5. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
6. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
7. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
8. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
9. How does Salieri's power over Mozart intensify?
10. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Salieri and compare and contrast him with Mozart. You might want to consider the morals and motivation of each man.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the way in which jealousy is dealt with in Amadeus. How has this affected the lives of at least TWO characters? You might like to consider the effects on personality as well as life outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the minor characters in Amadeus. Could any of them be removed from the play without affecting the story, action and outcome?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)