|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What salary does Salieri recommend Mozart be paid?
2. What new work is Mozart considering?
3. Who writes an opera that is the talk of the city of Vienna, according to the Venticelli?
4. How has Salieri's career progressed?
5. What is Salieri determined now to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri use the information from the Venticelli to take further action against Mozart?
2. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
3. What is Salieri's fate?
4. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
5. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
6. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
7. In what way is Mozart 'resurrected'?
8. In what way is Mozart's tendency to plain speaking working against him, according to the Venticelli?
9. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
10. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The real tragedy is Salieri's. He kills nothing but his own soul.' Do you agree?
Essay Topic 2
Does Amadeus qualify as an example of tragedy? Is there a tragic hero and what makes him such?
Essay Topic 3
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)