|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salieri know that the Venticelli do not?
2. Music from which of Mozart's operas is played as Salieri muses during the transition between scenes?
3. Who does Salieri claim is the inspiration for the Ghost in Don Giovanni?
4. How does Mozart react to news of his salary?
5. What desperate measure of Mozart's do the Venticelli inform Salieri about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mozart respond to the news about his salary?
2. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
3. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
4. What is unusual about Mozart's vision of opera?
5. In what way is Mozart 'resurrected'?
6. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
7. In what way does Salieri use the information from the Venticelli to take further action against Mozart?
8. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
9. What information does the Venticelli convey to Salieri?
10. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is the Mozart of Shaffer's play responsible for his own downfall? Your discussion should contain close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
'The real tragedy is Salieri's. He kills nothing but his own soul.' Do you agree?
Essay Topic 3
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)