|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. 'It celebrates . . . the goddess in Woman and not the laundress' is a reference to what>
2. What is the effect of the Emperor's yawn?
3. Which famous composer calls Mozart's work 'unsurpassed'?
4. What new work is Mozart considering?
5. How does Salieri now plan to destroy Mozart?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
2. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
3. What information does the Venticelli convey to Salieri?
4. In what way is Mozart's tendency to plain speaking working against him, according to the Venticelli?
5. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
6. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
7. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
8. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
9. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
10. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
Essay Topic 2
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the minor characters in Amadeus. Could any of them be removed from the play without affecting the story, action and outcome?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)