|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Mozart disobeyed his father?
2. Who is Schikaneder?
3. How does Salieri now plan to destroy Mozart?
4. What is the meaning of the gestures Salieri makes outside Mozart's window?
5. What promise to Mozart does Salieri fail to honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
2. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
3. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
4. Comment on the irony of Salieri's situation at the end of this section of the play.
5. In what way is Mozart 'resurrected'?
6. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
7. What is Salieri's fate?
8. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
9. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
10. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
Essay Topic 2
While not all people appreciate classical music, this play has been enormously successful throughout the word. How do you account for the success of Amadeus?
Essay Topic 3
Review the staging of the play Amadeus. How does the production itself affect the responses of the audience? Make overall comment, then choose one scene to focus on in detail. Might there be alternative ways to stage the scene?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)