|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salieri find a compensation for ghastly encounters at the Baroness's?
2. For what reason does Mozart reject the idea of giving more concerts?
3. What is the tone of Salieri's comment that 'Our religion' is largely based on waxworks?
4. How does Salieri refer to Mozart?
5. For Mozart, what is the outcome of his work for Schikaneder?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
2. How does Mozart respond to the news about his salary?
3. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
4. In what way is Mozart's tendency to plain speaking working against him, according to the Venticelli?
5. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
6. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
7. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
8. Comment on the irony of Salieri's situation at the end of this section of the play.
9. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
10. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 2
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Review the staging of the play Amadeus. How does the production itself affect the responses of the audience? Make overall comment, then choose one scene to focus on in detail. Might there be alternative ways to stage the scene?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)