|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What desperate measure of Mozart's do the Venticelli inform Salieri about?
2. What strange insight does Mozart seem to have regarding the Figaro problems?
3. How does Mozart react to news of his salary?
4. What does Mozart suggest is the answer to his problems?
5. What is frightening Constanze?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
2. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
3. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
4. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
5. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
6. What is the importance of the scene in which Salieri's home is contrasted with that of the Mozart family?
7. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
8. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
9. What is unusual about Mozart's vision of opera?
10. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Amadeus qualify as an example of tragedy? Is there a tragic hero and what makes him such?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Amadeus a struggle between the forces of innovation and the power of convention? Make close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
'Salieri is almost an archetypal hypocrite.' What is a hypocrite and does Salieri qualify for this label? Who else in Amadeus can be described as a Hypocrite? How does the behavior of such individuals affect others? Respond with close reference to the play.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)