|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Salieri demonstrate his abandonment of his vow of chastity?
2. What word describes Salieri's success and what he has bought with it?
3. What does Van Swieten call a 'stupid, hopeless task?'
4. How does Salieri dress in order to frighten Mozart?
5. What has happened to Leopold Mozart's letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
2. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
3. In what way is Mozart 'resurrected'?
4. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
5. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
6. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
7. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
8. Comment on the irony of Salieri's situation at the end of this section of the play.
9. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
10. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is the Mozart of Shaffer's play responsible for his own downfall? Your discussion should contain close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Amadeus a struggle between the forces of innovation and the power of convention? Make close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)