|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mozart's response to Constanze's dancing?
2. What does Van Swieten call a 'stupid, hopeless task?'
3. What other virtue does Salieri relinquish?
4. What has happened to Leopold Mozart's letters?
5. What is the tone of Salieri's comment that 'Our religion' is largely based on waxworks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
2. What is the significance of Salieri's words: " alone was empowered to recognize them for what they were'?
3. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
4. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
5. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
6. What is the importance of the scene in which Salieri's home is contrasted with that of the Mozart family?
7. In what way is Mozart 'resurrected'?
8. How does Mozart respond to the news about his salary?
9. How does Salieri's power over Mozart intensify?
10. What is Salieri's fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review the staging of the play Amadeus. How does the production itself affect the responses of the audience? Make overall comment, then choose one scene to focus on in detail. Might there be alternative ways to stage the scene?
Essay Topic 2
'The real tragedy is Salieri's. He kills nothing but his own soul.' Do you agree?
Essay Topic 3
Does Amadeus qualify as an example of tragedy? Is there a tragic hero and what makes him such?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)