|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Constanze and Wolfgang stop their private game?
2. According to the Venticelli, how many pupils does Mozart have?
3. What makes Von Strack very cross?
4. Who is the Guilty Libertine Salieri refers to?
5. What promise to Mozart does Salieri fail to honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
2. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
3. In what way is Mozart 'resurrected'?
4. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
5. What does Constanze's return to Salieri's apartment reveal about her?
6. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
7. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
8. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
9. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
10. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 2
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)