|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other virtue does Salieri relinquish?
2. Who does Salieri claim is the inspiration for the Ghost in Don Giovanni?
3. Who does Mozart blame for his disappoint in the matter of Princess Elizabeth?
4. When Salieri speaks of 'the Creature,' to whom is he referring?
5. For Mozart, what is the outcome of his work for Schikaneder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
2. What is unusual about Mozart's vision of opera?
3. Comment on the irony of Salieri's situation at the end of this section of the play.
4. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
5. What does Constanze's return to Salieri's apartment reveal about her?
6. In what way does Salieri use the information from the Venticelli to take further action against Mozart?
7. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
8. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
9. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
10. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While not all people appreciate classical music, this play has been enormously successful throughout the word. How do you account for the success of Amadeus?
Essay Topic 2
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the way in which humor is woven into the events depicted in Amadeus.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)