|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is frightening Constanze?
2. Who writes an opera that is the talk of the city of Vienna, according to the Venticelli?
3. What is the effect of the dancers moving in total silence?
4. What is the final blow for Mozart?
5. In what way does Salieri demonstrate his abandonment of his vow of chastity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
2. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
3. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
4. What does Constanze's return to Salieri's apartment reveal about her?
5. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
6. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
7. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
8. In what way is Mozart 'resurrected'?
9. What is the significance of Salieri's words: " alone was empowered to recognize them for what they were'?
10. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Amadeus is a tale of the naive artist pitted against a social machine he is entirely unaware of.' Discuss with close reference to the play.
Essay Topic 2
"Mozart embraces life honestly, lives it fully and renders its complexity in his music. Salieri buries his passions in conventional living and is only capable of conventional art '. Discuss this statement with close reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Salieri and compare and contrast him with Mozart. You might want to consider the morals and motivation of each man.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)