|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Mozart intends to adapt and include in his vaudeville opera?
2. What salary does Salieri recommend Mozart be paid?
3. What troubles does Mozart tell Salieri he has?
4. What does Salieri do when he looks over the manuscript for the Requiem Mass?
5. How has Katharina Cavalieri changed since she was last seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salieri's power over Mozart intensify?
2. What is unusual about Mozart's vision of opera?
3. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
4. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
5. What information does the Venticelli convey to Salieri?
6. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
7. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
8. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
9. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
10. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role and character of Constanze Weber Mozart. What does she bring to the play and why is she important?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Salieri and compare and contrast him with Mozart. You might want to consider the morals and motivation of each man.
Essay Topic 3
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)