|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What works has Mozart written during the same time?
2. What is Salieri determined now to do?
3. Salieri's comments about the Viennese suggest they are . . .
4. With news of his father's death, what aspects of himself does Mozart now reveal?
5. How did Leopold Mozart respond to his son's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
2. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
3. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
4. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
5. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
6. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
7. What does Constanze's return to Salieri's apartment reveal about her?
8. What information does the Venticelli convey to Salieri?
9. How does Salieri's power over Mozart intensify?
10. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Amadeus qualify as an example of tragedy? Is there a tragic hero and what makes him such?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do you think the problem of 'appearances versus reality' is crucial to the play Amadeus?
Essay Topic 3
'A study of evil, tempered by humor.' Is this a view of Amadeus that you agree with? Discus with close reference to the text.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)