|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the effect of the Emperor's yawn?
2. Which character has been deeply upset by Mozart's desperate behavior?
3. About whom does the Emperor make the comment: 'I daresay he can't do much harm'?
4. How does Baron Van Swieten enter the Theater by the Weiden?
5. What is the final blow for Mozart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
2. What is the significance of Salieri's words: " alone was empowered to recognize them for what they were'?
3. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
4. What does Constanze's return to Salieri's apartment reveal about her?
5. What is the importance of the scene in which Salieri's home is contrasted with that of the Mozart family?
6. How does Mozart respond to the news about his salary?
7. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
8. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
9. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
10. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Salieri's 'virtue' is mere behavior: it is not a movement of the soul towards God, and is easily discarded.' Is this an accurate appraisal? Discuss Salieri's relationship with God, as depicted in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Does Amadeus qualify as an example of tragedy? Is there a tragic hero and what makes him such?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the minor--though crucial--characters in Amadeus and discuss their function in the play as a whole. (Exclude the Venticelli from this discussion.)
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)