|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Constanze and Wolfgang stop their private game?
(a) They hear Salieri coming.
(b) Constanze faints.
(c) Constanze goes into labor.
(d) They are tired and cold.
2. How does Salieri refer to Mozart?
(a) As the Creation.
(b) As the Creature.
(c) As the Croatian.
(d) As the Creeper.
3. Who is Schikaneder?
(a) An out-of-work actor.
(b) A good friend of the Emperor's and a Lodge member.
(c) An out-of-work opera singer.
(d) An actor who owns a small theater in the suburbs.
4. Despite being unable to block the production, how does Salieri feel at the first performance of Figaro?
(a) Strange and light-headed.
(b) Strangely excited.
(c) Strangely exhilerated.
5. Why are the Mozarts cold?
(a) The building has no heating.
(b) They can't afford to connect the heating.
(c) They can't afford wood for a fire.
(d) The central heating boiler has failed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What salary does Salieri recommend Mozart be paid?
2. What is the meaning of the gestures Salieri makes outside Mozart's window?
3. How does Salieri now plan to destroy Mozart?
4. What does Constanze suggest might cure her husband's bad dreams?
5. Music from which of Mozart's operas is played as Salieri muses during the transition between scenes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Salieri's words: " alone was empowered to recognize them for what they were'?
2. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
3. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
4. What is Salieri's fate?
5. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
6. What information does the Venticelli convey to Salieri?
7. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
8. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
9. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
10. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)