|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salieri find distasteful about the audience?
(a) That they dress badly and applaud in the wrong places.
(b) That they smell of sweat and sausage.
(c) That they smell of sweat and coal dust.
(d) That they are unwashed and smell of garlic.
2. What has happened to Leopold Mozart's letters?
(a) Constanze has sold them.
(b) Wolfgang has donated them to a library.
(c) Constanze has burned them.
(d) Wolfgang has sold them to a library.
3. What does Constanze tell Wolfgang their relationship?
(a) That Leopold Mozart was right to oppose it.
(b) That marrying him was a mistake, but she will stick by him.
(c) That marrying him was the best day of her life.
(d) That it is over because she met someone in Baden.
4. What does Mozart disclose to Salieri at the beginning of the next scene?
(a) That he is doing badly--no money and no prospect of earning any.
(b) That he has a new idea for an operatic piece.
(c) That he has been commissioned to write a Mass.
(d) That he is ill and worried about money.
5. What is the effect of the Emperor's yawn?
(a) Encores will be banned in the future.
(b) Mozart is crushed emotionally and Salieri is delighted.
(c) The opera is hardly every performed.
(d) Mozart is crushed emotionally and Salieri must show his sympathy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Mozarts cold?
2. What does Salieri recognize in Figaro's song 'Non piu andrai'?
3. What is the meaning of the gestures Salieri makes outside Mozart's window?
4. What desperate measure of Mozart's do the Venticelli inform Salieri about?
5. Who writes an opera that is the talk of the city of Vienna, according to the Venticelli?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Salieri's fate?
2. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
3. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
4. In what way does Salieri use the information from the Venticelli to take further action against Mozart?
5. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
6. What does Constanze's return to Salieri's apartment reveal about her?
7. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
8. What is the importance of the scene in which Salieri's home is contrasted with that of the Mozart family?
9. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
10. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)