|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Venticelli, how many pupils does Mozart have?
(a) Seven at the most.
(b) Four at the most.
(c) No more than sixteen.
(d) Six at the most.
2. What is frightening Constanze?
(a) Having a second baby.
(b) Mozart and the story of his dream.
(c) The possibility of Mozart being expelled from the Masonic Lodge.
(d) Their poverty.
3. Who does Mozart blame for his disappoint in the matter of Princess Elizabeth?
(d) His father.
4. Why does Mozart dislike operas about lofty individuals and ancient heroes?
(a) He believes they are too hard for singers to master.
(b) He believes this will make the art form decline.
(c) He believes opera should be about real people.
(d) He thinks all opera should be funny.
5. What is the effect of the dancers moving in total silence?
(c) Tense drama.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite being unable to block the production, how does Salieri feel at the first performance of Figaro?
2. What wish of Salieri's is granted at this point?
3. What does Constanze's return to Salieri show us?
4. Music from which of Mozart's operas is played as Salieri muses during the transition between scenes?
5. How has Katharina Cavalieri changed since she was last seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Emperor a danger to Salieri's plan to destroy Mozart?
2. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
3. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
4. What is the importance of the scene in which Salieri's home is contrasted with that of the Mozart family?
5. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
6. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
7. What information does the Venticelli convey to Salieri?
8. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
9. How does Mozart respond to the news about his salary?
10. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)