|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salieri do when he looks over the manuscript for the Requiem Mass?
(a) He pours ink all over it.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He tears it up.
(d) He puts it in the bin.
2. What is the tone of Salieri's comment that 'Our religion' is largely based on waxworks?
3. What does Mozart suggest is the answer to his problems?
(a) He could find more pupils.
(b) He could go to England, where music is loved.
(c) He could apply to the Emperor for a new position.
(d) He could go to Prague to premiere an opera.
4. Why does Orsini-Rosenberg object to The Marriage of Figaro?
(a) He claims it is subversive.
(b) The music is too ornate.
(c) He calims it is obscene.
(d) He claims it contains a ballet.
5. What does Constanze tell Wolfgang their relationship?
(a) That marrying him was the best day of her life.
(b) That marrying him was a mistake, but she will stick by him.
(c) That it is over because she met someone in Baden.
(d) That Leopold Mozart was right to oppose it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Katharina Cavalieri changed since she was last seen?
2. What is the problem concerning The Marriage of Figaro?
3. What does Van Swieten call a 'stupid, hopeless task?'
4. What does Constanze suggest might cure her husband's bad dreams?
5. Who writes an opera that is the talk of the city of Vienna, according to the Venticelli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
2. In what way is his son's description of Leopold Mozart ironic?
3. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
4. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
5. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
6. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
7. How does Mozart respond to the news about his salary?
8. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
9. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
10. In what way does Salieri use the information from the Venticelli to take further action against Mozart?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)