|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mozart's response when the figure (Salieri) beckons under his window?
(a) He hums Eine Kleine Nachtsmusik and beckons the figure in return.
(b) He sings part of The Catalogue Song from Don Giovanni.
(c) He laughs crazily and almost falls from the window.
(d) He calls down a quotation from Don Giovanni--where the Don invites the Statue to dinner.
2. Who does Mozart blame for his disappoint in the matter of Princess Elizabeth?
(d) His father.
3. What does Constanze suggest might cure her husband's bad dreams?
(a) A visit to the spa.
(d) A better house.
4. How had Mozart disobeyed his father?
(a) By working for the Emperor.
(b) By leaving Salzburg.
(c) By composing The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(d) By marrying against his advice.
5. According to the Venticelli, how many pupils does Mozart have?
(a) Seven at the most.
(b) Six at the most.
(c) Four at the most.
(d) No more than sixteen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise to Mozart does Salieri fail to honor?
2. Of what does Van Swieten accuse Mozart?
3. What does Salieri find distasteful about the audience?
4. Which character has been deeply upset by Mozart's desperate behavior?
5. What is the final blow for Mozart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
2. In what way is Mozart's tendency to plain speaking working against him, according to the Venticelli?
3. What is the significance of Salieri's words: " alone was empowered to recognize them for what they were'?
4. How does Salieri's power over Mozart intensify?
5. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
6. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
7. What is unusual about Mozart's vision of opera?
8. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
9. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
10. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)