|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mozart so enthusiastic about vocal quartets?
(a) They are popular already, so they will find a ready audience.
(b) These allow audiences to hear from four different characters in the same moments of time.
(c) The royalty payments are higher than if only one person is singing.
(d) These give work to more musicians.
2. Who does Salieri claim is the inspiration for the Ghost in Don Giovanni?
(b) Old Papa Haydn.
(c) Chris Gluck.
(d) Leopold Mozart.
3. How does Salieri now plan to destroy Mozart?
(a) By poisoning him with arsenic.
(b) By turning Constanze against him.
(c) By getting the Venticelli to spread malicious rumors.
(d) By driving him into destitution.
4. Where does Salieri next meet Mozart?
(a) In a Venetian street.
(b) In a Vienna street.
(c) In the Emperor's music room.
(d) At the Baroness's house.
5. Who writes an opera that is the talk of the city of Vienna, according to the Venticelli?
(a) Richard Strauss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salieri know that the Venticelli do not?
2. What is the problem concerning The Marriage of Figaro?
3. How does Mozart describe opera's importance?
4. What event has taken place in the Mozart household?
5. What explanation does Salieri give the Emporer for not choosing Mozart as the Princess Elizabeth's music tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
2. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
3. What is Salieri's fate?
4. In what way does Salieri use the information from the Venticelli to take further action against Mozart?
5. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
6. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
7. How does Mozart respond to the news about his salary?
8. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
9. Comment on the irony of Salieri's situation at the end of this section of the play.
10. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)