|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salieri do when he looks over the manuscript for the Requiem Mass?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He tears it up.
(c) He puts it in the bin.
(d) He pours ink all over it.
2. How does Baron Van Swieten enter the Theater by the Weiden?
(a) With some ceremony.
(c) In disguise.
3. What is the final blow for Mozart?
(a) The unmasking of Salieri and his despair over money.
(b) His unmasking of Salieri and his despair over the damaged manuscript.
(c) A letter from Constanze saying she will never return.
(d) His unmasking of Salieri and recognition of his villainous betrayal.
4. What is Salieri's response to The Magic Flute?
(a) He doesn't understand it.
(b) He is outraged at the use of Masonic ritual.
(c) He sees it as full of cleansing and peace.
(d) He despises it for its jokes.
5. What has happened to Leopold Mozart's letters?
(a) Wolfgang has sold them to a library.
(b) Constanze has burned them.
(c) Constanze has sold them.
(d) Wolfgang has donated them to a library.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mozart view Salieri at this point?
2. Who does Salieri claim is the inspiration for the Ghost in Don Giovanni?
3. How does Salieri refer to Mozart?
4. Which famous composer calls Mozart's work 'unsurpassed'?
5. What does Salieri recognize in Figaro's song 'Non piu andrai'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salieri's power over Mozart intensify?
2. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
3. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
4. What does Mozart tell Salieri at the end of this section of the play?
5. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
6. How does Mozart respond to the news about his salary?
7. What is Salieri's fate?
8. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
9. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
10. Comment on the irony of Salieri's situation at the end of this section of the play.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)