|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Schikaneder?
(a) An out-of-work opera singer.
(b) An actor who owns a small theater in the suburbs.
(c) A good friend of the Emperor's and a Lodge member.
(d) An out-of-work actor.
2. Why did Van Swieten attend the performance?
(a) Salieri suggested it.
(b) The Emperor suggested it.
(c) He'd heard gossip about it at the Masonic Lodge.
(d) Out of simple suriosity.
3. What promise to Mozart does Salieri fail to honor?
(a) That he will speak to the Emperor about the tutoring work with Princess Elizabeth.
(b) That he will help Mozart by re-writing the act.
(c) That he will speak to the Emperor about attending a rehearsal.
(d) That he will explain the mistake to Orsini-Rosenberg.
4. How has Salieri's career progressed?
(a) He is successful, seen as a superior composer to Mozart.
(b) He writes smash hit operas and becomes exceedingly rich and famous.
(c) He works hard, writes one hit, then loses favor to Mozart.
(d) He works hard and has some success.
5. What has happened to Leopold Mozart's letters?
(a) Constanze has burned them.
(b) Wolfgang has sold them to a library.
(c) Wolfgang has donated them to a library.
(d) Constanze has sold them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Constanze do with the last of their money?
2. What is the tone of Salieri's comment that 'Our religion' is largely based on waxworks?
3. What suggestion does Salieri make to Mozart?
4. In what way does Salieri demonstrate his abandonment of his vow of chastity?
5. What does Salieri notice about Mozart during the applause for the opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
2. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
3. How does Salieri change focus in his struggle against God and His instrument, Mozart?
4. How does Salieri's power over Mozart intensify?
5. In what way is Mozart's tendency to plain speaking working against him, according to the Venticelli?
6. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
7. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
8. What information does the Venticelli convey to Salieri?
9. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
10. What does Constanze's return to Salieri's apartment reveal about her?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)