|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Salieri claim is the inspiration for the Ghost in Don Giovanni?
(a) Leopold Mozart.
(b) Old Papa Haydn.
(d) Chris Gluck.
2. In conversation with Salieri, what attitude to his father does Mozart display?
(a) That he is uncaring and hopes he will be left money.
(b) That he is a loving and devoted son.
(c) That he is jealous.
(d) That he is hostile.
3. Why does Orsini-Rosenberg object to The Marriage of Figaro?
(a) He calims it is obscene.
(b) He claims it is subversive.
(c) He claims it contains a ballet.
(d) The music is too ornate.
4. What new work is Mozart considering?
(a) A grand opera for ordinary German people.
(b) A new comic opera for the Emperor.
(c) A Vaudeville for ordinary German people.
(d) A Requiem Mass for Schikaneder.
5. What is it that Mozart intends to adapt and include in his vaudeville opera?
(a) A Requiem Mass.
(b) Secret Masonic rituals.
(c) Secrets of Dionysus
(d) Obscure Catholic rituals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mozart suggest is the answer to his problems?
2. What does Constanze do with the last of their money?
3. What other virtue does Salieri relinquish?
4. What is the meaning of the gestures Salieri makes outside Mozart's window?
5. What does Mozart disclose to Salieri at the beginning of the next scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the scene in which Salieri's home is contrasted with that of the Mozart family?
2. What does Constanze's return to Salieri's apartment reveal about her?
3. What is the significance of Salieri's words: " alone was empowered to recognize them for what they were'?
4. Comment on Salieri's actions as Mozart's illness and obsession overtake him.
5. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
6. What is unusual about Mozart's vision of opera?
7. What significant observations about art does Salieri make?
8. What is Salieri's fate?
9. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
10. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)