|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meaning of the gestures Salieri makes outside Mozart's window?
(a) It is an obscure Masonic ritual.
(b) It is a countdown to death.
(c) It is a symbol of the Egyptian god Osiris.
(d) It indicates the Grim Reaper.
2. What is frightening Constanze?
(a) The possibility of Mozart being expelled from the Masonic Lodge.
(b) Having a second baby.
(c) Mozart and the story of his dream.
(d) Their poverty.
3. What does Salieri do when he looks over the manuscript for the Requiem Mass?
(a) He pours ink all over it.
(b) He puts it in the bin.
(c) He tears it up.
(d) He burns it.
4. What does Salieri find distasteful about the audience?
(a) That they are unwashed and smell of garlic.
(b) That they smell of sweat and sausage.
(c) That they smell of sweat and coal dust.
(d) That they dress badly and applaud in the wrong places.
5. Who is the Guilty Libertine Salieri refers to?
(a) Don Giovanni.
(b) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(c) Antonio Salieri himself.
(d) Leopold Mozart.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mozart first travel to London?
2. What is Salieri determined now to do?
3. What is the tone of Salieri's comment that 'Our religion' is largely based on waxworks?
4. What is the final blow for Mozart?
5. What does Constanze do with the last of their money?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Mozart's tendency to plain speaking working against him, according to the Venticelli?
2. What disturbing aspect of 'appearances versus reality' does Salieri allude to in his opening speech in Act 2 of Amadeus?
3. How does Salieri's power over Mozart intensify?
4. What is Salieri's fate?
5. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
6. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
7. In what way does Salieri scheme to spoil the production of The Marriage of Figaro?
8. How does The Magic Flute precipitate a serious falling-out between Mozart and Van Swieten?
9. What are the indications of decline that Salieri observes when he meets Wolfgang and Constanze in the Prater?
10. What happens to make The Marriage of Figaro a failure in its first year?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)