|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Salieri in the first scene of the play?
2. What position is Mozart interested in applying for?
(a) Music teacher for Katharina Cavalieri.
(b) Court Composer.
(c) Music teacher for the Princess Elizabeth.
(d) Music supervisor for the Emperor.
3. What does the Emperor say would be fun?
(a) Fetes and fireworks in the courtyard.
(b) A competition between Mozart and some other virtuoso.
(c) A comic opera by Mozart.
(d) A competition between Mozart and Haydn.
4. Where is Salieri hidden?
(a) Behind the door.
(b) Under a trestle table.
(c) In a wing-backed chair.
(d) Behind an arras.
5. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
(a) The Death of the Bird.
(b) Orlando Furioso.
(c) The Death of Mediocrity.
(d) The Death of Mozart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
2. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
3. What words are whispered at the beginning of the play?
4. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
5. How does Salieri refer to his servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
2. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
3. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
4. How does the play open?
5. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
6. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
7. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
8. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
9. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
10. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)