|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the lead singer Mozart has engaged?
(a) Constanze Weber.
(b) Salieri's wife Theresa.
(c) Salieri's pupil Katharina Cavalieri.
(d) Rosa Ponselle.
2. What does the Emperor say would be fun?
(a) Fetes and fireworks in the courtyard.
(b) A comic opera by Mozart.
(c) A competition between Mozart and Haydn.
(d) A competition between Mozart and some other virtuoso.
3. How does Salieri describe Mozart at the end of this scene?
(a) As a heavenly presence.
(b) As an obscene child.
(c) As a naive child.
(d) As an obscene gypsy.
4. What is Mozart's reaction to Constanze's game with the Venticelli?
(a) He is angry and orders her to go home.
(b) He is furious and slaps her.
(c) He is angry and tells her she has ruined her reputation.
(d) He tries to be angry but backs down and kisses her instead of raging.
5. What does Constanze accuse her husband of doing?
(a) Sleeping in every day and not doing any work to earn them money.
(b) Sleeping with Katharina Cavalieri.
(c) Having an affair with the Princess Elizabeth.
(d) Sleeping with all his female pupils.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
2. How does Mozart insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
3. What is Salieri's occupation at this time?
4. What people are the chorus members meant to represent?
5. How does the audience react to the opera's finale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
2. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
3. What does Constanze's response to her husband's accusations tell us about her?
4. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
5. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
6. How does the play open?
7. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
8. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
9. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
10. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)