|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Salieri's burning ambition at this time of his life?
(a) To have seven sons, all musicians.
(b) To become First Royal Kapellmeister.
(c) To become the Court Composer.
(d) To write the perfect opera.
2. What is ironic about court musicians and their employers?
(a) The music will be remembered long after the politics of the time is forgotten.
(b) The music is forgettable because the Emperor will pass away.
(c) Rich people are mediocre.
(d) Everyone is mediocre and everything is a waste of time.
3. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
(a) Richard Strauss.
(b) Leopold Mozart.
(c) Johann Strauss II.
4. When Salieri left Italy, how old was Mozart?
5. Who is the lead singer Mozart has engaged?
(a) Constanze Weber.
(b) Salieri's pupil Katharina Cavalieri.
(c) Salieri's wife Theresa.
(d) Rosa Ponselle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosenberg's opinion of prodigies?
2. What excuse does Salieri offer for not himself trying some variations on the march of welcome?
3. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
4. What family dynasty rules in Vienna?
5. Where has Mozart been living prior to his arrival in Vienna?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play open?
2. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
3. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
4. What is striking about Salieri's description of the Adagio from the Serenade for Thirteen Wind Instruments (K. 361)?
5. In what way does Mozart manage to insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
6. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
7. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
8. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
9. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
10. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)