|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Salieri say he was born?
(a) Southern Italy.
(b) Northern Hispaniola.
(d) Northern Italy.
2. Where is Salieri hidden?
(a) Behind an arras.
(b) Under a trestle table.
(c) In a wing-backed chair.
(d) Behind the door.
3. How does Mozart react when the Major-Domo enters?
(a) He is annoyed.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is excited and full of anticipation.
4. How does Salieri intend to adapt the Legend of Danaius?
(a) As a comic opera in six acts.
(b) As a huge choral symphony.
(c) As a chamber opera for four voices and a crumhorn.
(d) As a huge tragic opera.
5. In which room at the Baroness's does Salieri first see Mozart?
(a) The atrium.
(b) The music room.
(c) The library.
(d) The ballroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
2. Who presently holds the position Salieri covets?
3. How old was Mozart when the Emperor last met him?
4. What solo instrument sounds a single note?
5. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
2. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
3. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
4. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
5. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
6. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
7. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
8. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
9. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
10. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)