|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salieri feel he needs to make his 'last audience' appear?
(a) A salutation.
(b) An invocation.
(c) An imbrocation.
(d) A circumlocution.
2. What family dynasty rules in Vienna?
(a) The Bonbons.
(b) The Hapsburgs.
(c) The Hollsteins.
(d) The Bourbons.
3. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
(a) Tutti frutti.
(d) Crema al mascarpone.
4. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
(a) He imagines himself putting Mozart to the sword.
(b) He imagines himself poisoning Mozart.
(c) He sees Mozart chained to a rock for eternity.
(d) He imagines himself seducing Mozart's Constanze.
5. What does Salieri say is the effect of the slowness in the music?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is Mozart pretending to be?
2. What is Rosenberg's opinion of prodigies?
3. What was Salieri's home town?
4. What people are the chorus members meant to represent?
5. How does Salieri describe Mozart at the end of this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
2. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
3. How does the play open?
4. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
5. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
6. What is Van Swieten's attitude to Salieri at this point in the play?
7. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
8. What is the problem with Salieri's drive for fame?
9. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
10. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)