|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Salieri offer for not himself trying some variations on the march of welcome?
(a) He says the Emperor wouldn't like it.
(b) He says his wife is feeling poorly.
(c) He says he has a music lesson to give.
(d) He says he must attend on the Emperor.
2. How does Salieri get his hands on some of Mozart's manuscripts?
(a) He buys them from a second-hand dealer.
(b) He steals them.
(c) The Venticelli bring them to him.
(d) He bribes a servant to steal them.
3. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
(a) The Venticelli tell him.
(b) His wife tells him.
(c) The Emperor tells him.
(d) Count Rosenberg tells him.
4. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
(a) The Platonic Age.
(b) The Age of Modernism.
(c) The Age of Englightenment
(d) The Age of the Feuilletons.
5. Where does Salieri say he was born?
(a) Northern Hispaniola.
(b) Southern Italy.
(c) Northern Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Salieri hidden?
2. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
3. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
4. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
5. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
2. Comment on the philosophical contrast between Mozart and Van Swieten and Von Strack.
3. In what way is the dying Mozart presented to us as a Christ-like martyr?
4. How does the death of Kapellmeister Bonno affect Salieri?
5. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
6. Why does Salieri rush out into the street on hearing Mozart's music?
7. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
8. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
9. What is implied by the Emperor's comment to Salieri regarding music and the Princess Elizabeth?
10. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)