|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Constanze accuse her husband of doing?
(a) Sleeping in every day and not doing any work to earn them money.
(b) Sleeping with Katharina Cavalieri.
(c) Sleeping with all his female pupils.
(d) Having an affair with the Princess Elizabeth.
2. Where is Salieri hidden?
(a) In a wing-backed chair.
(b) Behind the door.
(c) Under a trestle table.
(d) Behind an arras.
3. What solo instrument sounds a single note?
(a) An oboe.
(b) A crumhorn.
(c) An organ.
(d) A viola.
4. Who was an influential teacher of Salieri?
5. How does Salieri reward his Venticelli?
(a) He gets them jobs at the palace.
(b) He buys them dinner.
(c) He gives them cakes.
(d) He gives them money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which notable woman is the Emperor's sister?
2. How does Salieri refer to his servants?
3. Who prompts the Emperor's response to the opera?
4. What words are whispered at the beginning of the play?
5. Where is the opera's story set?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Mozart manage to insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
2. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
3. Account for Salieri's shout from the chair as he listens to Mozart and Constanze play their bawdy game.
4. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
5. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
6. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
7. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
8. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
9. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
10. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)