|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Salieri finally meet Mozart?
(a) At the Imperial Palace.
(b) At the Statsoper.
(c) At the Belvedere.
(d) At Baroness Waldstadten's.
2. What nationality is Katharina Cavalieri?
3. How does Salieri reward his Venticelli?
(a) He gets them jobs at the palace.
(b) He gives them money.
(c) He buys them dinner.
(d) He gives them cakes.
4. Who presently holds the position Salieri covets?
(a) Count Von Strack.
(b) Giuseppe Bonno.
(c) Louis Van Beethoven.
(d) Count Von Oslo.
5. How does Salieri describe Mozart at the end of this scene?
(a) As a naive child.
(b) As a heavenly presence.
(c) As an obscene gypsy.
(d) As an obscene child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
2. How does Mozart insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
3. What is ironic about court musicians and their employers?
4. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
5. How does Salieri get his hands on some of Mozart's manuscripts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
2. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
3. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
4. What does Salieri do to cope with the psychic blow he has received through hearing Mozart's music?
5. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
6. How does the play open?
7. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
8. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
9. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
10. What does this scene show us of Mozart's talent?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)