|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal is Mozart pretending to be?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A fox.
(d) A cat.
2. What is Salieri's occupation at this time?
(a) Court Musician.
(c) Court Composer.
(d) Court Conductor.
3. What does the Emperor say would be fun?
(a) Fetes and fireworks in the courtyard.
(b) A competition between Mozart and Haydn.
(c) A comic opera by Mozart.
(d) A competition between Mozart and some other virtuoso.
4. Who was an influential teacher of Salieri?
5. How does Mozart defend his work?
(a) He tells the Emperor it is the best opera ever written in Europe.
(b) He says it is in German, so people will understand it.
(c) He says it is full of proper German virtues.
(d) He says it is exciting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mozart react when the Major-Domo enters?
2. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
3. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
4. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
5. How does Salieri describe Mozart at the end of this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
2. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
3. In what way does Salieri claim to be different from his parents?
4. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
5. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
6. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
7. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
8. What happens in this section of the play to fertilize the growing seed of Salieri's murderous ideas?
9. What is Salieri hinting at when he says his servants will be 'even more surprised tomorrow'?
10. What concrete information about Mozart is passed to Salieri by the Venticelli?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)