|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Salieri refer to his servants?
(a) As The gossiping Ventrecelli.
(b) As the Kappellmeister's Baker and The Keeper of the Salt.
(c) As The Keeper of the Razor and The Maker of the Cakes.
(d) As The Keeper of the Purse and The Maker of the Cakes.
2. In the context of the play, how long has it been since Mozart's death?
(a) Thirty-four years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Fifty-three years.
(d) Thirty-two years.
3. Into which well-known piece does Mozart transform Salieri's march of welcome?
(a) The Entry of the Gods into Valhalla.
(b) The Grand March from Aida.
(c) The march from The Marriage of Figaro.
(d) The Finale from The Abduction From the Seraglio.
4. Where has Mozart been living prior to his arrival in Vienna?
5. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
(a) The Death of the Bird.
(b) The Death of Mediocrity.
(c) The Death of Mozart.
(d) Orlando Furioso.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salieri say is the effect of the slowness in the music?
2. Who is the lead singer Mozart has engaged?
3. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
4. What nationality is Katharina Cavalieri?
5. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
2. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
3. What is striking about Salieri's description of the Adagio from the Serenade for Thirteen Wind Instruments (K. 361)?
4. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
5. In what way does Salieri claim to be different from his parents?
6. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
7. How does Salieri come to change his mind about meeting Mozart?
8. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
9. In what way is the 'calf-measuring scene' ironic?
10. Comment on Salieri's appeal to 'the ghosts of the future'.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)