|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Salieri describe 'Marten Aller Arten'?
(a) He describes it as the showiest aria he has ever heard.
(b) He describes it as having too many notes.
(c) He describes it as astoundingly beautiful.
(d) He describes it as the most banal aria he has ever heard.
2. In the context of the play, how long has it been since Mozart's death?
(a) Thirty-four years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Thirty-two years.
(d) Fifty-three years.
3. Where does Salieri say he was born?
(a) Southern Italy.
(c) Northern Hispaniola.
(d) Northern Italy.
4. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
(a) He sees Mozart chained to a rock for eternity.
(b) He imagines himself putting Mozart to the sword.
(c) He imagines himself seducing Mozart's Constanze.
(d) He imagines himself poisoning Mozart.
5. What surprises Salieri's servants?
(a) His declaration that he will not go to bed that night.
(b) That he will shave himself in future.
(c) That he is sick of eating cakes.
(d) That he will eat cakes in bed that night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Baron Van Swieten's nickname?
2. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
3. How does the audience react to the opera's finale?
4. What does Salieri say is the effect of the slowness in the music?
5. What kind of love does Mozart claim his opera contains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do reports about Mozart unsettle Salieri?
2. What story does the Emperor tell to Mozart?
3. What is important about the discussion between Von Strack, Rosenberg and Van Swieten?
4. For what reason might the scene in the Baroness's library be considered ironic?
5. In what ways does Salieri work to undermine Mozart in this section of the play?
6. In what way does Mozart manage to insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
7. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
8. In what way does Salieri believe God is torturing him?
9. What attitude towards the Emperor does Salieri display in the first scene of this section of the play?
10. What strategy does Salieri use in his attempt to seduce Constanze?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)