|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into which well-known piece does Mozart transform Salieri's march of welcome?
(a) The Entry of the Gods into Valhalla.
(b) The Finale from The Abduction From the Seraglio.
(c) The Grand March from Aida.
(d) The march from The Marriage of Figaro.
2. What does Salieri feel he needs to make his 'last audience' appear?
(a) An imbrocation.
(b) A salutation.
(c) An invocation.
(d) A circumlocution.
3. What caused Mozart's death, according to the Venticelli?
(c) Rheumatic fever.
(d) Puerperal fever.
4. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
(a) They are said to be laconic.
(b) They speak urgently, rapidly.
(c) They speak in tongues.
(d) They shout loudly.
5. What relationship to Salieri is Katharina Cavalieri?
(a) She is his patron and later his mistress.
(b) She is his pupil and later his mistress.
(c) She is his half-sister and later his pupil.
(d) She is his illegitimate daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality does Salieri say he requires in a wife?
2. What animal is Mozart pretending to be?
3. Who prompts the Emperor's response to the opera?
4. What does Mozart intend to do in Vienna?
5. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to his personal battle with Mozart, how is the deterioration of Salieri's relationship with God demonstrated in this part of the play?
2. In what way does Salieri contradict himself in the scene in which he attempts to seduce Constanze?
3. What happens in this scene to essentially perform the coup-de-grace for Mozart?
4. What does his comment about his requirement in a wife reveal about Salieri's character?
5. Comment on the conflict in this library scene.
6. What is the importance of the scene in which Salieri's home is contrasted with that of the Mozart family?
7. How does the play open?
8. Comment on the dramatic function of the Venticelli in the opening scene.
9. What is the significance of 'the figure in gray' that haunts Mozart's dreams?
10. What is the significance of the golden light that bathes the Emperor and his court?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)