|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Von Strack very cross?
(a) That Mozart's opera is already in rehearsal.
(b) That Salieri and Orsini-Rosenberg speak before him in Italian.
(c) That Mozart has finished the opera very quickly.
(d) That Salieri is after his position.
2. Which composer wrote the opera Semiramide performed in Munich?
3. Salieri's comments about the Viennese suggest they are . . .
4. What does Salieri do when he looks over the manuscript for the Requiem Mass?
(a) He puts it in the bin.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He pours ink all over it.
(d) He tears it up.
5. How had Mozart disobeyed his father?
(a) By working for the Emperor.
(b) By marrying against his advice.
(c) By leaving Salzburg.
(d) By composing The Abduction from the Seraglio.
6. What is Salieri determined now to do?
(a) To block God by writing better music than Mozart can.
(b) To block Mozart, thus serve God more fully.
(c) To serve God all his days.
(d) To block God in one of his purest manifestations--Mozart.
7. What does Constanze do with the last of their money?
(a) She goes to the spa in Baden, Germany.
(b) She gives it to her mother.
(c) She goes to Bonn in Germany.
(d) She travels to Prague to meet a lover.
8. What wish of Salieri's is granted at this point?
(a) Mozart falls desperately ill.
(b) He is appointed Kappellmeister on Bonno's death.
(c) He is appointed Kappellmeister on Rosenberg's death.
(d) He is given a Papal kinighthood.
9. What does Mozart suggest is the answer to his problems?
(a) He could go to England, where music is loved.
(b) He could go to Prague to premiere an opera.
(c) He could apply to the Emperor for a new position.
(d) He could find more pupils.
10. What event has taken place in the Mozart household?
(a) Their servant has had a baby boy.
(b) Leopold Mozart has come to live with Wolfgang and Constanze.
(c) A baby daughter has been born.
(d) A baby son has been born.
11. In the staging of The Magic Flute described by Salieri, what does the sun represent?
(a) A cleansing fire, but one bringing forgiveness.
(b) The Apprentice's Pillar.
(c) A symbol of life and love.
(d) A god determined to judge.
12. What has happened to Leopold Mozart's letters?
(a) Wolfgang has donated them to a library.
(b) Constanze has sold them.
(c) Wolfgang has sold them to a library.
(d) Constanze has burned them.
13. Who does Constanze blame for the Mozarts' present plight?
(a) Her father-in-law, Leopold.
(b) Her husband, Wolfgang.
(d) Her unborn baby.
14. Who is the Guilty Libertine Salieri refers to?
(a) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(b) Antonio Salieri himself.
(c) Leopold Mozart.
(d) Don Giovanni.
15. How did Leopold Mozart respond to his son's request?
(a) He suggested a compromise.
(b) He refused
(c) He accapted readily.
(d) He did not reply.
Short Answer Questions
1. What salary does Salieri recommend Mozart be paid?
2. What choice is Mozart given?
3. What is the tone of Salieri's comment that 'Our religion' is largely based on waxworks?
4. How does Mozart receive a little help?
5. How does Mozart view Salieri at this point?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)