|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In conversation with Salieri, what attitude to his father does Mozart display?
(a) That he is jealous.
(b) That he is hostile.
(c) That he is a loving and devoted son.
(d) That he is uncaring and hopes he will be left money.
2. When Salieri speaks of 'the Creature,' to whom is he referring?
(a) Constanze Mozart.
(b) A Venticello.
(d) The Emperor.
3. How does Salieri dress in order to frighten Mozart?
(a) As a Janus figure in a green cloak.
(b) In a gray cloak and mask.
(c) In a part-colored clown suit.
(d) In a black cloak and gray mask.
4. What choice is Mozart given?
(a) Re-write the act or withdraw the opera.
(b) Re-write the act or re-cast the opera.
(c) Rewrite the act or go back to Salzburg.
(d) Withdraw the opera or cast Katharina Cavalieri.
5. What is Salieri's response to The Magic Flute?
(a) He is outraged at the use of Masonic ritual.
(b) He doesn't understand it.
(c) He sees it as full of cleansing and peace.
(d) He despises it for its jokes.
6. Why does Orsini-Rosenberg object to The Marriage of Figaro?
(a) He claims it is subversive.
(b) He calims it is obscene.
(c) He claims it contains a ballet.
(d) The music is too ornate.
7. What salary does Salieri recommend Mozart be paid?
(a) Two hundred florins a month.
(b) Two thousand florins a year.
(c) Two hundred florins a year.
(d) Two hundred florins a week.
8. What wish of Salieri's is granted at this point?
(a) He is appointed Kappellmeister on Bonno's death.
(b) He is given a Papal kinighthood.
(c) Mozart falls desperately ill.
(d) He is appointed Kappellmeister on Rosenberg's death.
9. Why are the Mozarts cold?
(a) The central heating boiler has failed.
(b) They can't afford to connect the heating.
(c) They can't afford wood for a fire.
(d) The building has no heating.
10. What works has Mozart written during the same time?
(a) Keyboard concerti and the string quartets.
(b) Only two violin concerti.
(c) Music for the popular theatre.
(d) The opera Guilio Cesere.
11. What does Constanze tell Wolfgang their relationship?
(a) That marrying him was a mistake, but she will stick by him.
(b) That marrying him was the best day of her life.
(c) That it is over because she met someone in Baden.
(d) That Leopold Mozart was right to oppose it.
12. Who pays for Mozart's funeral?
(a) Count Orsini-Rosenberg
(b) Frau Weber.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) Baron Van Swieten.
13. Why is Mozart so enthusiastic about vocal quartets?
(a) The royalty payments are higher than if only one person is singing.
(b) These give work to more musicians.
(c) They are popular already, so they will find a ready audience.
(d) These allow audiences to hear from four different characters in the same moments of time.
14. About whom does the Emperor make the comment: 'I daresay he can't do much harm'?
(a) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
(b) Herr Sommer.
(c) The First Venticello.
(d) Count Von Strack.
15. Who does Constanze blame for the Mozarts' present plight?
(a) Her father-in-law, Leopold.
(b) Her husband, Wolfgang.
(d) Her unborn baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mozart first travel to London?
2. What is the effect of the Emperor's yawn?
3. Which composer wrote the opera Semiramide performed in Munich?
4. 'It celebrates . . . the goddess in Woman and not the laundress' is a reference to what>
5. What does Mozart disclose to Salieri at the beginning of the next scene?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)