|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Constanze tell Wolfgang their relationship?
(a) That marrying him was the best day of her life.
(b) That it is over because she met someone in Baden.
(c) That Leopold Mozart was right to oppose it.
(d) That marrying him was a mistake, but she will stick by him.
2. What makes Von Strack very cross?
(a) That Mozart's opera is already in rehearsal.
(b) That Salieri is after his position.
(c) That Salieri and Orsini-Rosenberg speak before him in Italian.
(d) That Mozart has finished the opera very quickly.
3. Who does Salieri claim is the inspiration for the Ghost in Don Giovanni?
(a) Chris Gluck.
(c) Leopold Mozart.
(d) Old Papa Haydn.
4. What does Mozart disclose to Salieri at the beginning of the next scene?
(a) That he is doing badly--no money and no prospect of earning any.
(b) That he has been commissioned to write a Mass.
(c) That he is ill and worried about money.
(d) That he has a new idea for an operatic piece.
5. Who writes an opera that is the talk of the city of Vienna, according to the Venticelli?
(c) Richard Strauss.
6. What is Salieri's response to The Magic Flute?
(a) He sees it as full of cleansing and peace.
(b) He doesn't understand it.
(c) He is outraged at the use of Masonic ritual.
(d) He despises it for its jokes.
7. What works has Mozart written during the same time?
(a) Only two violin concerti.
(b) Keyboard concerti and the string quartets.
(c) The opera Guilio Cesere.
(d) Music for the popular theatre.
8. How does Mozart describe opera's importance?
(a) He says it is realer than any play.
(b) He says it is safer than any play.
(c) He says it will be remembered forever.
(d) He says it will be heard by God.
9. Music from which of Mozart's operas is played as Salieri muses during the transition between scenes?
(a) The Magic Flute.
(d) Cosi Fan Tutte.
10. Who is the Guilty Libertine Salieri refers to?
(a) Leopold Mozart.
(b) Don Giovanni.
(c) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(d) Antonio Salieri himself.
11. What does Constanze do with the last of their money?
(a) She travels to Prague to meet a lover.
(b) She gives it to her mother.
(c) She goes to the spa in Baden, Germany.
(d) She goes to Bonn in Germany.
12. What is Mozart's response to Constanze's dancing?
(a) He grabs her and starts kissing her.
(b) He picks her up and puts her to bed.
(c) He chases her around the room.
(d) He tells her to sit down and shut up.
13. What does Van Swieten call a 'stupid, hopeless task?'
(a) Mending Mozart's vulgarity.
(b) Ensuring that Mozart finish commissioned work.
(c) Helping Mozart succeed.
(d) Teaching Mozart table manners.
14. In conversation with Salieri, what attitude to his father does Mozart display?
(a) That he is hostile.
(b) That he is jealous.
(c) That he is a loving and devoted son.
(d) That he is uncaring and hopes he will be left money.
15. What is frightening Constanze?
(a) Mozart and the story of his dream.
(b) Having a second baby.
(c) The possibility of Mozart being expelled from the Masonic Lodge.
(d) Their poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Venticelli, how many pupils does Mozart have?
2. About whom does the Emperor make the comment: 'I daresay he can't do much harm'?
3. What promise to Mozart does Salieri fail to honor?
4. What explanation does Salieri give the Emporer for not choosing Mozart as the Princess Elizabeth's music tutor?
5. What is Salieri determined now to do?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)