|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salieri know that the Venticelli do not?
(a) Mozart is writing long letters to Constanze.
(b) Mozart is writing secretly to Schikaneder.
(c) Mozart is writing his Requiem Mass.
(d) Mozart is writing his clarinet concerto.
2. What other virtue does Salieri relinquish?
(a) The virtue of abstinence: he eats and drinks lavishly.
(b) The virtue of kindness: he is excessively mean to people.
(c) The virtue of love: he now hates everyone and intends to use them.
(d) Social virtue: he resigns from all his committees.
3. When Salieri speaks of 'the Creature,' to whom is he referring?
(a) Constanze Mozart.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) A Venticello.
4. About whom does the Emperor make the comment: 'I daresay he can't do much harm'?
(a) Count Von Strack.
(b) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
(c) The First Venticello.
(d) Herr Sommer.
5. Which composer wrote the opera Semiramide performed in Munich?
6. What is the tone of Salieri's comment that 'Our religion' is largely based on waxworks?
7. How did Leopold Mozart respond to his son's request?
(a) He accapted readily.
(b) He did not reply.
(c) He refused
(d) He suggested a compromise.
8. Which famous composer calls Mozart's work 'unsurpassed'?
9. For what reason does Mozart reject the idea of giving more concerts?
(a) He says he is no longer fashionable.
(b) He says he can't afford to rent a hall.
(c) He says he has lost his gifts as a virtuoso.
(d) He says he has arthritic pain in his fingers.
10. What is the meaning of the gestures Salieri makes outside Mozart's window?
(a) It is a symbol of the Egyptian god Osiris.
(b) It indicates the Grim Reaper.
(c) It is a countdown to death.
(d) It is an obscure Masonic ritual.
11. Who is the Guilty Libertine Salieri refers to?
(a) Don Giovanni.
(b) Leopold Mozart.
(c) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(d) Antonio Salieri himself.
12. What new work is Mozart considering?
(a) A Vaudeville for ordinary German people.
(b) A Requiem Mass for Schikaneder.
(c) A grand opera for ordinary German people.
(d) A new comic opera for the Emperor.
13. 'It celebrates . . . the goddess in Woman and not the laundress' is a reference to what>
(b) The Feast of the Annunciation.
14. How does Mozart view Salieri at this point?
(a) As a fine musician.
(b) As a kind but impatient man.
(c) As an inspiring musician who is good and kind.
(d) As a kind and good man.
15. Who is Schikaneder?
(a) An actor who owns a small theater in the suburbs.
(b) An out-of-work actor.
(c) A good friend of the Emperor's and a Lodge member.
(d) An out-of-work opera singer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Mozart intends to adapt and include in his vaudeville opera?
2. Where does Salieri next meet Mozart?
3. When did Mozart first travel to London?
4. What did Mozart ask his father to do?
5. What promise to Mozart does Salieri fail to honor?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)