|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word describes Salieri's success and what he has bought with it?
(a) 'Deliberate' for the way he has made things happen and the way he has decorated his house.
(b) 'Incomprenensible' to apply to his success and his wife's taste in furniture.
(c) The adjective 'golden'--for opinions and the furniture that reflects his success.
(d) The word 'lavish' to connect praise and furnishings.
2. What event has taken place in the Mozart household?
(a) Leopold Mozart has come to live with Wolfgang and Constanze.
(b) Their servant has had a baby boy.
(c) A baby son has been born.
(d) A baby daughter has been born.
3. Why do Constanze and Wolfgang stop their private game?
(a) Constanze faints.
(b) They hear Salieri coming.
(c) They are tired and cold.
(d) Constanze goes into labor.
4. In conversation with Salieri, what attitude to his father does Mozart display?
(a) That he is a loving and devoted son.
(b) That he is jealous.
(c) That he is uncaring and hopes he will be left money.
(d) That he is hostile.
5. What does Constanze do with the last of their money?
(a) She gives it to her mother.
(b) She goes to Bonn in Germany.
(c) She goes to the spa in Baden, Germany.
(d) She travels to Prague to meet a lover.
6. Despite being unable to block the production, how does Salieri feel at the first performance of Figaro?
(a) Strange and light-headed.
(c) Strangely exhilerated.
(d) Strangely excited.
7. What does Salieri find a compensation for ghastly encounters at the Baroness's?
(a) Eating eclairs in secret.
(b) Watching Mozart suffer.
(c) His favorite crema al mascarpone.
(d) The creative ideas that follow.
8. When Salieri speaks of 'the Creature,' to whom is he referring?
(a) A Venticello.
(b) Constanze Mozart.
(d) The Emperor.
9. Who pays for Mozart's funeral?
(a) Frau Weber.
(b) Count Orsini-Rosenberg
(c) The Emperor.
(d) Baron Van Swieten.
10. How had Mozart disobeyed his father?
(a) By composing The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(b) By working for the Emperor.
(c) By marrying against his advice.
(d) By leaving Salzburg.
11. Who writes an opera that is the talk of the city of Vienna, according to the Venticelli?
(c) Richard Strauss.
12. Who is the Guilty Libertine Salieri refers to?
(a) Don Giovanni.
(b) Leopold Mozart.
(c) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
(d) Antonio Salieri himself.
13. Who is Schikaneder?
(a) A good friend of the Emperor's and a Lodge member.
(b) An out-of-work actor.
(c) An out-of-work opera singer.
(d) An actor who owns a small theater in the suburbs.
14. Who does Mozart blame for his disappoint in the matter of Princess Elizabeth?
(c) His father.
15. Why does Orsini-Rosenberg object to The Marriage of Figaro?
(a) He calims it is obscene.
(b) The music is too ornate.
(c) He claims it contains a ballet.
(d) He claims it is subversive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Mozarts cold?
2. How has Salieri's career progressed?
3. How did Leopold Mozart respond to his son's request?
4. In the staging of The Magic Flute described by Salieri, what does the sun represent?
5. What works has Mozart written during the same time?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)