|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Salieri's burning ambition at this time of his life?
(a) To become First Royal Kapellmeister.
(b) To have seven sons, all musicians.
(c) To write the perfect opera.
(d) To become the Court Composer.
2. How does Salieri finally realize the extent of Mozart's talent?
(a) He reads the manuscripts Constanze has left.
(b) He sneaks into a concert and hears the Clarinet Concerto.
(c) He reads the manuscript of Don Giovanni.
(d) He is given a report by the Venticelli.
3. What is Salieri's occupation at this time?
(a) Court Musician.
(b) Court Composer.
(d) Court Conductor.
4. To what does Salieri compare the opening measures of the music he hears?
(a) A dusty oboe.
(b) A rusty triangle.
(c) A rusty squeezebox.
(d) A tired crumhorn.
5. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
(a) The Death of Mozart.
(b) Orlando Furioso.
(c) The Death of the Bird.
(d) The Death of Mediocrity.
6. What caused Mozart's death, according to the Venticelli?
(b) Puerperal fever.
(d) Rheumatic fever.
7. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
(a) La Cenerentola.
(b) The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(c) Cosi Fan Tutte.
(d) Don Giovanni.
8. When Salieri left Italy, how old was Mozart?
9. Where has Mozart been living prior to his arrival in Vienna?
10. Who was an influential teacher of Salieri?
11. What does Mozart intend to do in Vienna?
(a) Give concerts.
(b) Apply for Salieri's job.
(c) Kiss the Emperor's hand.
(d) Hide from his father.
12. What position is Mozart interested in applying for?
(a) Court Composer.
(b) Music teacher for the Princess Elizabeth.
(c) Music teacher for Katharina Cavalieri.
(d) Music supervisor for the Emperor.
13. How old is Salieri in the first scene of the play?
14. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
(a) He believes it is revolutionary in its atonal structure.
(b) He believes it is like the voice of God.
(c) He believes it has the power to charm birds and animals.
(d) He finds it is angelic, heavenly.
15. Where does Salieri finally meet Mozart?
(a) At the Belvedere.
(b) At the Imperial Palace.
(c) At the Statsoper.
(d) At Baroness Waldstadten's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
2. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
3. How does Mozart insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
4. Who invites Salieri to join the Masons?
5. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)