|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Salieri intend to adapt the Legend of Danaius?
(a) As a huge tragic opera.
(b) As a huge choral symphony.
(c) As a chamber opera for four voices and a crumhorn.
(d) As a comic opera in six acts.
2. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
(a) His arrogance.
(b) Alcohol--he is drunk.
(c) He has been listening to Salieri's Venticelli.
(d) He has been taking laudanum.
3. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
(a) He imagines himself seducing Mozart's Constanze.
(b) He sees Mozart chained to a rock for eternity.
(c) He imagines himself putting Mozart to the sword.
(d) He imagines himself poisoning Mozart.
4. What does the Emperor say would be fun?
(a) A competition between Mozart and Haydn.
(b) Fetes and fireworks in the courtyard.
(c) A competition between Mozart and some other virtuoso.
(d) A comic opera by Mozart.
5. Who was an influential teacher of Salieri?
6. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
(a) Von Strack.
(b) The Emperor.
(c) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
7. How does the audience react to the opera's finale?
(a) With polite applause.
(b) With great disgust.
(c) With boos and catcalls.
(d) With great applause.
8. In which room at the Baroness's does Salieri first see Mozart?
(a) The ballroom.
(b) The atrium.
(c) The library.
(d) The music room.
9. What does Constanze accuse her husband of doing?
(a) Having an affair with the Princess Elizabeth.
(b) Sleeping in every day and not doing any work to earn them money.
(c) Sleeping with all his female pupils.
(d) Sleeping with Katharina Cavalieri.
10. What causes Salieri physical pain as he listens to the piece?
(a) Its intense beauty.
(b) Its discord and atonality.
(c) Its frequent strange modulations.
(d) The number of notes--there are too many to follow.
11. What was Salieri's home town?
12. How does Salieri feel after examining Mozart's manuscripts?
(a) Excited at the new talent in Austria.
(b) Humbled in face of Mozart's huge talent.
(c) Reasuured because all of them are quite ordinary.
(d) Amused because Mozart is not as clever as he thought.
13. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
(a) The Age of Modernism.
(b) The Platonic Age.
(c) The Age of Englightenment
(d) The Age of the Feuilletons.
14. In the context of the play, how long has it been since Mozart's death?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Fifty-three years.
(c) Thirty-two years.
(d) Thirty-four years.
15. What position is Mozart interested in applying for?
(a) Music teacher for Katharina Cavalieri.
(b) Music teacher for the Princess Elizabeth.
(c) Court Composer.
(d) Music supervisor for the Emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Katharina Cavalieri?
2. Where is Salieri hidden?
3. What does Salieri do, in his pain?
4. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
5. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)