|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the context of the play, how long has it been since Mozart's death?
(a) Thirty-four years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Thirty-two years.
(d) Fifty-three years.
2. What animal is Mozart pretending to be?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A fox.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A cat.
3. In which room at the Baroness's does Salieri first see Mozart?
(a) The ballroom.
(b) The music room.
(c) The atrium.
(d) The library.
4. How does Mozart defend his work?
(a) He says it is in German, so people will understand it.
(b) He says it is exciting.
(c) He tells the Emperor it is the best opera ever written in Europe.
(d) He says it is full of proper German virtues.
5. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
(a) They shout loudly.
(b) They speak urgently, rapidly.
(c) They speak in tongues.
(d) They are said to be laconic.
6. Who invites Salieri to join the Masons?
(a) Count Rosenberg.
(b) Leopold Mozart.
(c) Baron Van Swieten.
(d) Emperor Joseph II
7. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
8. What causes Salieri physical pain as he listens to the piece?
(a) Its intense beauty.
(b) Its frequent strange modulations.
(c) Its discord and atonality.
(d) The number of notes--there are too many to follow.
9. How does Salieri describe 'Marten Aller Arten'?
(a) He describes it as the most banal aria he has ever heard.
(b) He describes it as having too many notes.
(c) He describes it as the showiest aria he has ever heard.
(d) He describes it as astoundingly beautiful.
10. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
(a) By sleeping with Salieri.
(b) By sending Mozart's CV to Count Rosenberg, along with a bribe.
(c) By bribing Salieri.
(d) By sleeping with Count Rosenberg.
11. What was Salieri's home town?
12. What does Salieri do, in his pain?
(a) He runs out into the street.
(b) He stuffs his ears so he cannot hear the music.
(c) He screams.
(d) He demands that Mozart stop playing immediately.
13. What word does Mozart use to describe the singer he has engaged to play the lead in his opera?
(a) Excessively beautiful.
(b) Extra talented.
14. What is Salieri's occupation at this time?
(a) Court Composer.
(b) Court Musician.
(c) Court Conductor.
15. What is the Emperor's judgment of the opera.
(a) 'Too many notes.'
(b) 'Too many songs.'
(c) 'Too many costumes.'
(d) 'Too many high notes.'
Short Answer Questions
1. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
2. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
3. What does Salieri say is the effect of the slowness in the music?
4. What kind of love does Mozart claim his opera contains?
5. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)