|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants the new comic opera to be in 'good plain German?'
(a) Leopold Mozart.
(b) The Emperor.
2. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
(a) They are still saving up for the reception.
(b) They are awaiting the Emperor's permission.
(c) They are awaiting Leopold Mozart's permission.
(d) They are trying to find a good apartment to rent.
3. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
(a) The Emperor tells him.
(b) Count Rosenberg tells him.
(c) His wife tells him.
(d) The Venticelli tell him.
4. Which character receives a kiss from Salieri?
(a) Constanze Weber.
(b) Katharina Cavalieri.
(d) His wife.
5. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
(a) Don Giovanni.
(b) The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(c) La Cenerentola.
(d) Cosi Fan Tutte.
6. What excuse does Salieri offer for not himself trying some variations on the march of welcome?
(a) He says he has a music lesson to give.
(b) He says his wife is feeling poorly.
(c) He says he must attend on the Emperor.
(d) He says the Emperor wouldn't like it.
7. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
(a) The Age of the Feuilletons.
(b) The Age of Englightenment
(c) The Age of Modernism.
(d) The Platonic Age.
8. To what does Salieri compare the opening measures of the music he hears?
(a) A rusty triangle.
(b) A tired crumhorn.
(c) A rusty squeezebox.
(d) A dusty oboe.
9. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
(a) The Death of Mozart.
(b) The Death of Mediocrity.
(c) The Death of the Bird.
(d) Orlando Furioso.
10. What was Salieri's home town?
11. What is Mozart's reaction to Constanze's game with the Venticelli?
(a) He tries to be angry but backs down and kisses her instead of raging.
(b) He is furious and slaps her.
(c) He is angry and tells her she has ruined her reputation.
(d) He is angry and orders her to go home.
12. What does the Emperor say would be fun?
(a) A comic opera by Mozart.
(b) Fetes and fireworks in the courtyard.
(c) A competition between Mozart and some other virtuoso.
(d) A competition between Mozart and Haydn.
13. What does Salieri ask of the audience/'Ghosts of the future'?
(a) To be his confessors.
(b) To recognise his music.
(c) To praise his music.
(d) To intercede for him with the saints.
14. What quality does Salieri say he requires in a wife?
(a) Lack of fire.
(c) Ability to bear children.
(d) Musical talent.
15. What words are whispered at the beginning of the play?
(a) 'Salieri' and 'companion.'
(b) 'Mozart' and 'Beethoven.'
(c) 'Celery' and 'assassin.'
(d) 'Salieri' and 'assassin.'
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri refer to his servants?
2. What does Salieri say is the effect of the slowness in the music?
3. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
4. How does Salieri reward his Venticelli?
5. What family dynasty rules in Vienna?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)