|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
(a) They are trying to find a good apartment to rent.
(b) They are still saving up for the reception.
(c) They are awaiting Leopold Mozart's permission.
(d) They are awaiting the Emperor's permission.
2. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
(a) Wind musicians should clean their instruments regularly.
(b) Music must be avoided if it is too passionate.
(c) Music should not be too showy.
(d) Only new music should be played, not works that have been on library shelves for years.
3. What does Mozart intend to do in Vienna?
(a) Give concerts.
(b) Kiss the Emperor's hand.
(c) Hide from his father.
(d) Apply for Salieri's job.
4. Where is the opera's story set?
(a) In a Masonic lodge.
(b) In a coffee shop.
(c) In a grand mansion.
(d) In a harem.
5. Why is a party being held at Baroness Waldstadten's?
(a) To celebrate the Feast of the Assumption.
(b) To celebrate Salieri's birthday.
(c) To celebrate the Emperor's birthday.
(d) To celebrate New Year's Eve.
6. How does Salieri refer to his servants?
(a) As The Keeper of the Razor and The Maker of the Cakes.
(b) As The gossiping Ventrecelli.
(c) As The Keeper of the Purse and The Maker of the Cakes.
(d) As the Kappellmeister's Baker and The Keeper of the Salt.
7. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
(a) The Emperor Joseph II.
(b) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
(c) Van Swieten.
(d) Constanze Weber.
8. What word does Mozart use to describe the singer he has engaged to play the lead in his opera?
(a) Extra talented.
(b) Excessively beautiful.
9. To what does Salieri compare the opening measures of the music he hears?
(a) A rusty triangle.
(b) A rusty squeezebox.
(c) A tired crumhorn.
(d) A dusty oboe.
10. What is Baron Van Swieten's nickname?
(a) 'Lord Van Fugue.'
(c) 'Lord Fugue.'
11. How old is Salieri in the first scene of the play?
12. What does Constanze accuse her husband of doing?
(a) Sleeping with Katharina Cavalieri.
(b) Having an affair with the Princess Elizabeth.
(c) Sleeping in every day and not doing any work to earn them money.
(d) Sleeping with all his female pupils.
13. What was Salieri's home town?
14. How does Mozart insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
(a) He tells him he is fat as a toad.
(b) He makes an obscene gesture and laughs.
(c) He tells him he looks like a turd.
(d) He tells him he looks like a toad.
15. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
(a) The Venticelli tell him.
(b) The Emperor tells him.
(c) His wife tells him.
(d) Count Rosenberg tells him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
2. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
3. What is Salieri's reaction to the young couple's goings-on?
4. What is Salieri's occupation at this time?
5. How does Salieri get his hands on some of Mozart's manuscripts?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)