|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was an influential teacher of Salieri?
2. To what does Salieri compare the opening measures of the music he hears?
(a) A dusty oboe.
(b) A rusty triangle.
(c) A rusty squeezebox.
(d) A tired crumhorn.
3. How did Salieri's family feel about the Austrian Empire?
(a) They fought against it at the Battle of Lumbago.
(b) They tolerated it but longed for Italy's unification.
(c) They were happy to be its subjects.
(d) They thought it gave them prestige in Europe.
4. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
(a) By bribing Salieri.
(b) By sleeping with Count Rosenberg.
(c) By sending Mozart's CV to Count Rosenberg, along with a bribe.
(d) By sleeping with Salieri.
5. What causes Mozart to stop his silliness on this occasion?
(a) The mention of his father.
(b) Respect for the Baroness.
(c) The idea for some new music.
(d) Constanze's annoyance.
6. What does Salieri say is the effect of the slowness in the music?
7. When Salieri left Italy, how old was Mozart?
8. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
(a) Alcohol--he is drunk.
(b) He has been listening to Salieri's Venticelli.
(c) His arrogance.
(d) He has been taking laudanum.
9. How does Mozart defend his work?
(a) He says it is full of proper German virtues.
(b) He tells the Emperor it is the best opera ever written in Europe.
(c) He says it is in German, so people will understand it.
(d) He says it is exciting.
10. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
(a) They shout loudly.
(b) They speak in tongues.
(c) They are said to be laconic.
(d) They speak urgently, rapidly.
11. What nationality is Katharina Cavalieri?
12. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
(a) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
(b) Constanze Weber.
(c) The Emperor Joseph II.
(d) Van Swieten.
13. What family dynasty rules in Vienna?
(a) The Hapsburgs.
(b) The Hollsteins.
(c) The Bourbons.
(d) The Bonbons.
14. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
(b) The Emperor's mother.
(c) Marie Antionette.
(d) His mother.
15. Where does Salieri say he was born?
(a) Northern Italy.
(b) Southern Italy.
(d) Northern Hispaniola.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
2. What does Constanze accuse her husband of doing?
3. What is Salieri's reaction to the young couple's goings-on?
4. How does Salieri feel after examining Mozart's manuscripts?
5. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)