|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Salieri left Italy, how old was Mozart?
2. What kind of work has the Emperor commissioned Mozart to write?
(a) A concerto.
(b) A symphony.
(c) An opera.
(d) A string quartet.
3. How does the audience react to the opera's finale?
(a) With polite applause.
(b) With great disgust.
(c) With boos and catcalls.
(d) With great applause.
4. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
(a) The Age of Englightenment
(b) The Platonic Age.
(c) The Age of the Feuilletons.
(d) The Age of Modernism.
5. What does Mozart intend to do in Vienna?
(a) Give concerts.
(b) Apply for Salieri's job.
(c) Kiss the Emperor's hand.
(d) Hide from his father.
6. Why is a party being held at Baroness Waldstadten's?
(a) To celebrate the Feast of the Assumption.
(b) To celebrate Salieri's birthday.
(c) To celebrate the Emperor's birthday.
(d) To celebrate New Year's Eve.
7. How does Salieri reward his Venticelli?
(a) He gives them cakes.
(b) He buys them dinner.
(c) He gives them money.
(d) He gets them jobs at the palace.
8. Which notable woman is the Emperor's sister?
(a) Marie Curie.
(b) Marie Ste Juste.
(c) Maria Theresa.
(d) Marie Antionette.
9. What causes Salieri physical pain as he listens to the piece?
(a) Its discord and atonality.
(b) The number of notes--there are too many to follow.
(c) Its frequent strange modulations.
(d) Its intense beauty.
10. In which room at the Baroness's does Salieri first see Mozart?
(a) The atrium.
(b) The music room.
(c) The ballroom.
(d) The library.
11. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
(a) His arrogance.
(b) He has been listening to Salieri's Venticelli.
(c) Alcohol--he is drunk.
(d) He has been taking laudanum.
12. What animal is Mozart pretending to be?
(a) A fox.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A cat.
(d) A tiger.
13. How does Salieri intend to adapt the Legend of Danaius?
(a) As a chamber opera for four voices and a crumhorn.
(b) As a comic opera in six acts.
(c) As a huge tragic opera.
(d) As a huge choral symphony.
14. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
(a) The Death of the Bird.
(b) The Death of Mozart.
(c) Orlando Furioso.
(d) The Death of Mediocrity.
15. What is Salieri's burning ambition at this time of his life?
(a) To become the Court Composer.
(b) To write the perfect opera.
(c) To become First Royal Kapellmeister.
(d) To have seven sons, all musicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Mozart's death, according to the Venticelli?
2. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
3. What kind of love does Mozart claim his opera contains?
4. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
5. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)