|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salieri view as the secret of successful living?
(a) Always knowing what your wife is doing behind your back.
(b) Always knowing how to get the best value at the markets.
(c) Always knowing what is going on behind your back.
(d) Always knowing what your publisher is doing behind your back.
2. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
(a) He has been listening to Salieri's Venticelli.
(b) Alcohol--he is drunk.
(c) His arrogance.
(d) He has been taking laudanum.
3. Which notable woman is the Emperor's sister?
(a) Marie Ste Juste.
(b) Marie Curie.
(c) Maria Theresa.
(d) Marie Antionette.
4. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
5. How does Salieri refer to his servants?
(a) As The gossiping Ventrecelli.
(b) As The Keeper of the Purse and The Maker of the Cakes.
(c) As The Keeper of the Razor and The Maker of the Cakes.
(d) As the Kappellmeister's Baker and The Keeper of the Salt.
6. Who presently holds the position Salieri covets?
(a) Giuseppe Bonno.
(b) Louis Van Beethoven.
(c) Count Von Strack.
(d) Count Von Oslo.
7. How does Salieri intend to adapt the Legend of Danaius?
(a) As a chamber opera for four voices and a crumhorn.
(b) As a huge choral symphony.
(c) As a comic opera in six acts.
(d) As a huge tragic opera.
8. What nationality is Katharina Cavalieri?
9. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
(a) His wife tells him.
(b) The Emperor tells him.
(c) The Venticelli tell him.
(d) Count Rosenberg tells him.
10. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
(a) He finds it is angelic, heavenly.
(b) He believes it has the power to charm birds and animals.
(c) He believes it is revolutionary in its atonal structure.
(d) He believes it is like the voice of God.
11. What animal is Mozart pretending to be?
(a) A cat.
(b) A fox.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A squirrel.
12. What does Salieri do, in his pain?
(a) He runs out into the street.
(b) He demands that Mozart stop playing immediately.
(c) He stuffs his ears so he cannot hear the music.
(d) He screams.
13. What philosophic age does Salieri refer to in his first speech for this section of the play?
(a) The Age of Englightenment
(b) The Platonic Age.
(c) The Age of Modernism.
(d) The Age of the Feuilletons.
14. Who wants the new comic opera to be in 'good plain German?'
(c) Leopold Mozart.
(d) The Emperor.
15. How does Salieri reward his Venticelli?
(a) He buys them dinner.
(b) He gives them money.
(c) He gives them cakes.
(d) He gets them jobs at the palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality does Salieri say he requires in a wife?
2. In which room at the Baroness's does Salieri first see Mozart?
3. What family dynasty rules in Vienna?
4. Who was an influential teacher of Salieri?
5. On what instrument does Mozart play Salieri's march?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)