|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
(a) They are still saving up for the reception.
(b) They are trying to find a good apartment to rent.
(c) They are awaiting the Emperor's permission.
(d) They are awaiting Leopold Mozart's permission.
2. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
(a) He believes it is revolutionary in its atonal structure.
(b) He believes it is like the voice of God.
(c) He believes it has the power to charm birds and animals.
(d) He finds it is angelic, heavenly.
3. What does Salieri do, in his pain?
(a) He runs out into the street.
(b) He stuffs his ears so he cannot hear the music.
(c) He screams.
(d) He demands that Mozart stop playing immediately.
4. How did Salieri's family feel about the Austrian Empire?
(a) They fought against it at the Battle of Lumbago.
(b) They thought it gave them prestige in Europe.
(c) They were happy to be its subjects.
(d) They tolerated it but longed for Italy's unification.
5. Where has Mozart been living prior to his arrival in Vienna?
6. In the context of the play, how long has it been since Mozart's death?
(a) Thirty-four years.
(b) Fifty-three years.
(c) Thirty-two years.
(d) Thirty years.
7. Who presently holds the position Salieri covets?
(a) Giuseppe Bonno.
(b) Count Von Oslo.
(c) Louis Van Beethoven.
(d) Count Von Strack.
8. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
(a) The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(b) Cosi Fan Tutte.
(c) Don Giovanni.
(d) La Cenerentola.
9. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
(c) Tutti frutti.
(d) Crema al mascarpone.
10. What kind of love does Mozart claim his opera contains?
(a) Sacrificial love.
(b) Young love.
(c) Unrequited love.
(d) Manly love, real love.
11. What does the Emperor say would be fun?
(a) Fetes and fireworks in the courtyard.
(b) A comic opera by Mozart.
(c) A competition between Mozart and some other virtuoso.
(d) A competition between Mozart and Haydn.
12. What words are whispered at the beginning of the play?
(a) 'Salieri' and 'companion.'
(b) 'Salieri' and 'assassin.'
(c) 'Celery' and 'assassin.'
(d) 'Mozart' and 'Beethoven.'
13. Where does Salieri finally meet Mozart?
(a) At the Statsoper.
(b) At the Belvedere.
(c) At Baroness Waldstadten's.
(d) At the Imperial Palace.
14. How old is Salieri in the first scene of the play?
15. Who is the lead singer Mozart has engaged?
(a) Salieri's wife Theresa.
(b) Rosa Ponselle.
(c) Constanze Weber.
(d) Salieri's pupil Katharina Cavalieri.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
2. What does Salieri feel he needs to make his 'last audience' appear?
3. How does Salieri describe 'Marten Aller Arten'?
4. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
5. How does Mozart defend his work?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)