|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
(a) Constanze Weber.
(b) The Emperor Joseph II.
(c) Van Swieten.
(d) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
2. Why is a party being held at Baroness Waldstadten's?
(a) To celebrate New Year's Eve.
(b) To celebrate the Emperor's birthday.
(c) To celebrate Salieri's birthday.
(d) To celebrate the Feast of the Assumption.
3. What causes Mozart to stop his silliness on this occasion?
(a) The idea for some new music.
(b) Constanze's annoyance.
(c) The mention of his father.
(d) Respect for the Baroness.
4. What does Constanze accuse her husband of doing?
(a) Sleeping in every day and not doing any work to earn them money.
(b) Sleeping with Katharina Cavalieri.
(c) Having an affair with the Princess Elizabeth.
(d) Sleeping with all his female pupils.
5. What insight does Salieri experience when he hears 'Marten Aller Arten' being sung?
(a) He understands religious ecstasy.
(b) He understands that the soprano is flighty.
(c) He understands that this is just how music ought to be written.
(d) He understands that Mozart has had sex with the singer.
6. How does Salieri get his hands on some of Mozart's manuscripts?
(a) He buys them from a second-hand dealer.
(b) He bribes a servant to steal them.
(c) He steals them.
(d) The Venticelli bring them to him.
7. What is ironic about court musicians and their employers?
(a) The music will be remembered long after the politics of the time is forgotten.
(b) Everyone is mediocre and everything is a waste of time.
(c) Rich people are mediocre.
(d) The music is forgettable because the Emperor will pass away.
8. Who invites Salieri to join the Masons?
(a) Emperor Joseph II
(b) Baron Van Swieten.
(c) Count Rosenberg.
(d) Leopold Mozart.
9. What does Mozart intend to do in Vienna?
(a) Kiss the Emperor's hand.
(b) Apply for Salieri's job.
(c) Hide from his father.
(d) Give concerts.
10. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
(a) By sleeping with Count Rosenberg.
(b) By sending Mozart's CV to Count Rosenberg, along with a bribe.
(c) By sleeping with Salieri.
(d) By bribing Salieri.
11. What words are whispered at the beginning of the play?
(a) 'Mozart' and 'Beethoven.'
(b) 'Celery' and 'assassin.'
(c) 'Salieri' and 'companion.'
(d) 'Salieri' and 'assassin.'
12. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
(a) Marie Antionette.
(b) His mother.
(d) The Emperor's mother.
13. How does Salieri reward his Venticelli?
(a) He gives them cakes.
(b) He gives them money.
(c) He gets them jobs at the palace.
(d) He buys them dinner.
14. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
(a) La Cenerentola.
(b) The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(c) Cosi Fan Tutte.
(d) Don Giovanni.
15. What relationship to Salieri is Katharina Cavalieri?
(a) She is his pupil and later his mistress.
(b) She is his illegitimate daughter.
(c) She is his half-sister and later his pupil.
(d) She is his patron and later his mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mozart insult Count Orsini-Rosenberg?
2. Which character receives a kiss from Salieri?
3. What kind of work has the Emperor commissioned Mozart to write?
4. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
5. How does Salieri finally realize the extent of Mozart's talent?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)