|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
2. What is Mozart's reaction to Constanze's game with the Venticelli?
(a) He is angry and tells her she has ruined her reputation.
(b) He tries to be angry but backs down and kisses her instead of raging.
(c) He is angry and orders her to go home.
(d) He is furious and slaps her.
3. What insight does Salieri experience when he hears 'Marten Aller Arten' being sung?
(a) He understands that the soprano is flighty.
(b) He understands that this is just how music ought to be written.
(c) He understands religious ecstasy.
(d) He understands that Mozart has had sex with the singer.
4. What causes Mozart to stop his silliness on this occasion?
(a) Constanze's annoyance.
(b) Respect for the Baroness.
(c) The mention of his father.
(d) The idea for some new music.
5. How could Constanze secure for husband the job of tutor to Princess Elizabeth?
(a) By sending Mozart's CV to Count Rosenberg, along with a bribe.
(b) By sleeping with Salieri.
(c) By sleeping with Count Rosenberg.
(d) By bribing Salieri.
6. What does Salieri ask of the audience/'Ghosts of the future'?
(a) To praise his music.
(b) To intercede for him with the saints.
(c) To be his confessors.
(d) To recognise his music.
7. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
(a) Don Giovanni.
(b) The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(c) La Cenerentola.
(d) Cosi Fan Tutte.
8. What caused Mozart's death, according to the Venticelli?
(a) Puerperal fever.
(d) Rheumatic fever.
9. Where is Salieri hidden?
(a) Behind the door.
(b) In a wing-backed chair.
(c) Under a trestle table.
(d) Behind an arras.
10. What is the Emperor's judgment of the opera.
(a) 'Too many notes.'
(b) 'Too many songs.'
(c) 'Too many costumes.'
(d) 'Too many high notes.'
11. Who is the lead singer Mozart has engaged?
(a) Salieri's pupil Katharina Cavalieri.
(b) Rosa Ponselle.
(c) Constanze Weber.
(d) Salieri's wife Theresa.
12. Which character receives a kiss from Salieri?
(a) Katharina Cavalieri.
(b) Constanze Weber.
(c) His wife.
13. How does Salieri feel after examining Mozart's manuscripts?
(a) Reasuured because all of them are quite ordinary.
(b) Humbled in face of Mozart's huge talent.
(c) Amused because Mozart is not as clever as he thought.
(d) Excited at the new talent in Austria.
14. How does the audience react to the opera's finale?
(a) With great applause.
(b) With polite applause.
(c) With boos and catcalls.
(d) With great disgust.
15. How does Salieri cope with his insight into Mozart's talent?
(a) He throws himself into work.
(b) He falls into depression.
(c) He complains to one of his committees.
(d) He composes an opera about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri get his hands on some of Mozart's manuscripts?
2. What does Salieri say is the title of his last work?
3. What is ironic about court musicians and their employers?
4. In the context of the play, how long has it been since Mozart's death?
5. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)