|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position is Mozart interested in applying for?
(a) Court Composer.
(b) Music teacher for Katharina Cavalieri.
(c) Music teacher for the Princess Elizabeth.
(d) Music supervisor for the Emperor.
2. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
(a) The Emperor Joseph II.
(b) Van Swieten.
(c) Constanze Weber.
(d) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
3. What is Rosenberg's opinion of prodigies?
(a) He is in awe of them.
(b) He is jealous of them.
(c) He finds them hateful.
(d) He finds them adorable.
4. What does Salieri view as the secret of successful living?
(a) Always knowing what your wife is doing behind your back.
(b) Always knowing how to get the best value at the markets.
(c) Always knowing what your publisher is doing behind your back.
(d) Always knowing what is going on behind your back.
5. What does Salieri feel he needs to make his 'last audience' appear?
(a) A circumlocution.
(b) An invocation.
(c) An imbrocation.
(d) A salutation.
6. What animal is Constanze imitating?
(a) A vole.
(b) A furry puppy.
(c) A pussy-cat.
(d) A mouse.
7. What excuse does Salieri offer for not himself trying some variations on the march of welcome?
(a) He says the Emperor wouldn't like it.
(b) He says his wife is feeling poorly.
(c) He says he must attend on the Emperor.
(d) He says he has a music lesson to give.
8. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
(a) Richard Strauss.
(b) Leopold Mozart.
(c) Johann Strauss II.
9. Who wants the new comic opera to be in 'good plain German?'
(c) The Emperor.
(d) Leopold Mozart.
10. How does Salieri reward his Venticelli?
(a) He gives them money.
(b) He buys them dinner.
(c) He gets them jobs at the palace.
(d) He gives them cakes.
11. In which room at the Baroness's does Salieri first see Mozart?
(a) The library.
(b) The ballroom.
(c) The atrium.
(d) The music room.
12. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
(a) Count Rosenberg tells him.
(b) The Venticelli tell him.
(c) His wife tells him.
(d) The Emperor tells him.
13. Salieri describes the opera's music as an excellent match for what?
(a) Mozart's vulgar coat.
(b) Vulgar tastes.
(c) Viennese tastes.
(d) The lead soprano's voice.
14. How does Salieri feel after examining Mozart's manuscripts?
(a) Amused because Mozart is not as clever as he thought.
(b) Humbled in face of Mozart's huge talent.
(c) Reasuured because all of them are quite ordinary.
(d) Excited at the new talent in Austria.
15. Which notable woman is the Emperor's sister?
(a) Marie Curie.
(b) Marie Ste Juste.
(c) Marie Antionette.
(d) Maria Theresa.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what instrument does Mozart play Salieri's march?
2. What family dynasty rules in Vienna?
3. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
4. What relationship to Salieri is Katharina Cavalieri?
5. What is Mozart's reaction to Constanze's game with the Venticelli?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)