|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the audience react to the opera's finale?
(a) With great applause.
(b) With great disgust.
(c) With polite applause.
(d) With boos and catcalls.
2. Who formally introduces Mozart and Salieri?
(a) Constanze Weber.
(b) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
(c) Van Swieten.
(d) The Emperor Joseph II.
3. How does Salieri cope with his insight into Mozart's talent?
(a) He complains to one of his committees.
(b) He falls into depression.
(c) He composes an opera about it.
(d) He throws himself into work.
4. What does Salieri ask of the audience/'Ghosts of the future'?
(a) To be his confessors.
(b) To intercede for him with the saints.
(c) To recognise his music.
(d) To praise his music.
5. What nationality is Katharina Cavalieri?
6. What does Salieri feel he needs to make his 'last audience' appear?
(a) A salutation.
(b) An imbrocation.
(c) An invocation.
(d) A circumlocution.
7. How old was Mozart when the Emperor last met him?
8. What intensely special quality does Salieri believe Mozart's music possesses?
(a) He believes it is revolutionary in its atonal structure.
(b) He believes it is like the voice of God.
(c) He believes it has the power to charm birds and animals.
(d) He finds it is angelic, heavenly.
9. Who prompts the Emperor's response to the opera?
(a) Baron Van Swieten.
(b) The Venticelli.
(c) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
10. What family dynasty rules in Vienna?
(a) The Hollsteins.
(b) The Bonbons.
(c) The Hapsburgs.
(d) The Bourbons.
11. What kind of work has the Emperor commissioned Mozart to write?
(a) A symphony.
(b) A string quartet.
(c) An opera.
(d) A concerto.
12. What quality does Salieri say he requires in a wife?
(a) Lack of fire.
(b) Musical talent.
(c) Ability to bear children.
13. What is Salieri's occupation at this time?
(a) Court Musician.
(b) Court Conductor.
(d) Court Composer.
14. What insight does Salieri experience when he hears 'Marten Aller Arten' being sung?
(a) He understands that this is just how music ought to be written.
(b) He understands that the soprano is flighty.
(c) He understands that Mozart has had sex with the singer.
(d) He understands religious ecstasy.
15. What was Salieri's home town?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
2. What causes Mozart to stop his silliness on this occasion?
3. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
4. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
5. What caused Mozart's death, according to the Venticelli?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)