|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mozart intend to do in Vienna?
(a) Kiss the Emperor's hand.
(b) Apply for Salieri's job.
(c) Give concerts.
(d) Hide from his father.
2. Salieri describes the opera's music as an excellent match for what?
(a) Vulgar tastes.
(b) The lead soprano's voice.
(c) Viennese tastes.
(d) Mozart's vulgar coat.
3. Who invites Salieri to join the Masons?
(a) Emperor Joseph II
(b) Baron Van Swieten.
(c) Count Rosenberg.
(d) Leopold Mozart.
4. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
(b) Crema al mascarpone.
(c) Tutti frutti.
5. What kind of work has the Emperor commissioned Mozart to write?
(a) An opera.
(b) A concerto.
(c) A symphony.
(d) A string quartet.
6. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
(a) His mother.
(c) The Emperor's mother.
(d) Marie Antionette.
7. Who plays the 'march of welcome' for Mozart?
(a) Von Strack.
(b) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
(d) The Emperor.
8. What causes Salieri physical pain as he listens to the piece?
(a) Its intense beauty.
(b) Its discord and atonality.
(c) The number of notes--there are too many to follow.
(d) Its frequent strange modulations.
9. How does Mozart defend his work?
(a) He says it is exciting.
(b) He tells the Emperor it is the best opera ever written in Europe.
(c) He says it is full of proper German virtues.
(d) He says it is in German, so people will understand it.
10. Who presently holds the position Salieri covets?
(a) Louis Van Beethoven.
(b) Count Von Strack.
(c) Count Von Oslo.
(d) Giuseppe Bonno.
11. Which notable woman is the Emperor's sister?
(a) Marie Antionette.
(b) Maria Theresa.
(c) Marie Curie.
(d) Marie Ste Juste.
12. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
(a) The Emperor tells him.
(b) His wife tells him.
(c) Count Rosenberg tells him.
(d) The Venticelli tell him.
13. How does Salieri cope with his insight into Mozart's talent?
(a) He complains to one of his committees.
(b) He falls into depression.
(c) He throws himself into work.
(d) He composes an opera about it.
14. In which room at the Baroness's does Salieri first see Mozart?
(a) The library.
(b) The music room.
(c) The ballroom.
(d) The atrium.
15. What wicked vision does Salieri say he now has?
(a) He imagines himself seducing Mozart's Constanze.
(b) He imagines himself putting Mozart to the sword.
(c) He sees Mozart chained to a rock for eternity.
(d) He imagines himself poisoning Mozart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salieri describe 'Marten Aller Arten'?
2. What was Salieri's home town?
3. Who is named as an old pupil of Salieri's?
4. How is the Venticelli's speech described?
5. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)