|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Salieri physical pain as he listens to the piece?
(a) Its intense beauty.
(b) Its frequent strange modulations.
(c) Its discord and atonality.
(d) The number of notes--there are too many to follow.
2. What relationship to Salieri is Katharina Cavalieri?
(a) She is his illegitimate daughter.
(b) She is his half-sister and later his pupil.
(c) She is his patron and later his mistress.
(d) She is his pupil and later his mistress.
3. Who prompts the Emperor's response to the opera?
(a) Count Orsini-Rosenberg.
(c) Baron Van Swieten.
(d) The Venticelli.
4. What influences Mozart to make wildly tactless utterings at Bonno's house?
(a) He has been taking laudanum.
(b) Alcohol--he is drunk.
(c) He has been listening to Salieri's Venticelli.
(d) His arrogance.
5. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
(a) La Cenerentola.
(b) Cosi Fan Tutte.
(c) The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(d) Don Giovanni.
6. What animal is Constanze imitating?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A furry puppy.
(c) A vole.
(d) A pussy-cat.
7. Who presently holds the position Salieri covets?
(a) Giuseppe Bonno.
(b) Count Von Oslo.
(c) Count Von Strack.
(d) Louis Van Beethoven.
8. How does Salieri find out that Mozart has arrived in Vienna?
(a) The Venticelli tell him.
(b) The Emperor tells him.
(c) Count Rosenberg tells him.
(d) His wife tells him.
9. What does Salieri ask of the audience/'Ghosts of the future'?
(a) To be his confessors.
(b) To praise his music.
(c) To recognise his music.
(d) To intercede for him with the saints.
10. What does Salieri view as the secret of successful living?
(a) Always knowing what your wife is doing behind your back.
(b) Always knowing how to get the best value at the markets.
(c) Always knowing what your publisher is doing behind your back.
(d) Always knowing what is going on behind your back.
11. What kind of love does Mozart claim his opera contains?
(a) Sacrificial love.
(b) Young love.
(c) Unrequited love.
(d) Manly love, real love.
12. What is meant by the words 'one must avoid music that smells of music'?
(a) Music must be avoided if it is too passionate.
(b) Music should not be too showy.
(c) Wind musicians should clean their instruments regularly.
(d) Only new music should be played, not works that have been on library shelves for years.
13. Into which well-known piece does Mozart transform Salieri's march of welcome?
(a) The Finale from The Abduction From the Seraglio.
(b) The march from The Marriage of Figaro.
(c) The Entry of the Gods into Valhalla.
(d) The Grand March from Aida.
14. Who picks the child Mozart up after his fall?
(a) Marie Antionette.
(b) His mother.
(c) The Emperor's mother.
15. How old was Mozart when the Emperor last met him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Salieri hidden?
2. What caused Mozart's death, according to the Venticelli?
3. What does Salieri do, in his pain?
4. Where has Mozart been living prior to his arrival in Vienna?
5. What causes Mozart to stop his silliness on this occasion?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)