|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Salieri describes the opera's music as an excellent match for what?
(a) Mozart's vulgar coat.
(b) Vulgar tastes.
(c) Viennese tastes.
(d) The lead soprano's voice.
2. How does Salieri intend to adapt the Legend of Danaius?
(a) As a comic opera in six acts.
(b) As a huge tragic opera.
(c) As a huge choral symphony.
(d) As a chamber opera for four voices and a crumhorn.
3. What is ironic about court musicians and their employers?
(a) Rich people are mediocre.
(b) Everyone is mediocre and everything is a waste of time.
(c) The music will be remembered long after the politics of the time is forgotten.
(d) The music is forgettable because the Emperor will pass away.
4. In what language does Salieri speak when he is excited, according to one of the Venticelli?
5. Where is Salieri hidden?
(a) Under a trestle table.
(b) Behind an arras.
(c) Behind the door.
(d) In a wing-backed chair.
6. What is Salieri's burning ambition at this time of his life?
(a) To have seven sons, all musicians.
(b) To become the Court Composer.
(c) To write the perfect opera.
(d) To become First Royal Kapellmeister.
7. What nationality is Katharina Cavalieri?
8. What position is Mozart interested in applying for?
(a) Music teacher for the Princess Elizabeth.
(b) Music teacher for Katharina Cavalieri.
(c) Court Composer.
(d) Music supervisor for the Emperor.
9. What is the Emperor's judgment of the opera.
(a) 'Too many notes.'
(b) 'Too many songs.'
(c) 'Too many high notes.'
(d) 'Too many costumes.'
10. How does Salieri finally realize the extent of Mozart's talent?
(a) He sneaks into a concert and hears the Clarinet Concerto.
(b) He reads the manuscript of Don Giovanni.
(c) He is given a report by the Venticelli.
(d) He reads the manuscripts Constanze has left.
11. What animal is Mozart pretending to be?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A cat.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A fox.
12. What is Salieri's reaction to the young couple's goings-on?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is appalled.
(c) He thinks it is outrageously funny.
(d) He is indifferent.
13. Which Mozart opera is being performed in this scene?
(a) The Abduction from the Seraglio.
(b) La Cenerentola.
(c) Cosi Fan Tutte.
(d) Don Giovanni.
14. Which is Salieri's favorite sweet indulgence?
(b) Tutti frutti.
(d) Crema al mascarpone.
15. Why is a party being held at Baroness Waldstadten's?
(a) To celebrate the Emperor's birthday.
(b) To celebrate Salieri's birthday.
(c) To celebrate the Feast of the Assumption.
(d) To celebrate New Year's Eve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Mozart been living prior to his arrival in Vienna?
2. What is holding up Wolfgang's and Constanze's marriage?
3. What solo instrument sounds a single note?
4. Who is the lead singer Mozart has engaged?
5. What causes Mozart to stop his silliness on this occasion?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)