Act 1, Part 1
* Salieri, as an old man, addresses the audience, which he refers to as 'ghosts of the future.'
* He declares he must confess to the sin of gluttony.
* Salieri describes his ecstatic love of music and his desire to praise God through this art.
* He describes his ardent wish for fame through music.
* He tells the audience that all he came to stand for was mediocrity.
Act 1, Part 2
* The scene changes to Vienna, 1781, when Salieri and Mozart were young.
* Salieri tells us that at this time he was virtuous and his ambition was to become Kappellmeister in the Viennese court.
* The Venticelli rush in and tell Salieri that the twenty-five-year-old Mozart is in Vienna and intends to stay there.
* Van Swieten invites Salieri to join the Masonic Lodge.
* The Venticelli tell Salieri that Mozart is engaged to one Weber sister, having dumped another.
* Salieri tells the...
This section contains 1,766 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)