|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne tell Jack about how Judge Irwin solved his money problems?
2. What does Anne reveals as the topic of conversation the last time she had lunch with the governor?
3. What happens to Willie and Lucy's son, Tom?
4. How does Jack find out about what happened between Adam and Coffee?
5. What does Jack discover about the wealth of Judge Irwin's second wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author inserts a surprising story in as Chapter 4 regarding the Mastern family. What lessons is the author trying to teach in this chapter? Is it the evil of slavery? The sins of marital infidelity? The burden of guilt and remorse? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Willie's role as protagonist evolves as the plot extends. How does Willie change from the hard-working farm boy to a manipulative politician? What are Willie's motivators? Is Willie the typical protagonist hero at heart?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, Willie is branded as a nigger lover. Explain what this term means. Why was it "acceptable" to use in 1922 and not tolerated at all today? Has society matured? Are people more sensitive? Explain.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)