|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mortimer L. Littlepaugh?
2. What does Anne do when her father becomes an invalid?
3. What do Jack and Anne continue to discuss as the years progress?
4. What does Adam recall about an argument between Judge Irwin and Governor Stanton?
5. When does Jack make the decision to return home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, Willie is branded as a nigger lover. Explain what this term means. Why was it "acceptable" to use in 1922 and not tolerated at all today? Has society matured? Are people more sensitive? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author inserts a surprising story in as Chapter 4 regarding the Mastern family. What lessons is the author trying to teach in this chapter? Is it the evil of slavery? The sins of marital infidelity? The burden of guilt and remorse? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Judge Irwin so adamant about not endorsing Willie's senatorial candidate in Chapter 1? Does the judge have guilt or remorse for his own behavior in this area? Is the judge afraid to even broach the subject of inappropriate alliances because of what might be discovered about his own past?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)