|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do after Anne makes her decision?
2. Who tells Jack that Anne is having an affair with Willie?
3. What leads Jack to believe that Judge Irwin got a huge influx of cash at some point?
4. Where does Jack go in Chapter 7?
5. What puzzles Jack about the hospital discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Judge Irwin so adamant about not endorsing Willie's senatorial candidate in Chapter 1? Does the judge have guilt or remorse for his own behavior in this area? Is the judge afraid to even broach the subject of inappropriate alliances because of what might be discovered about his own past?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Jack Burden's name? Do you feel that he carries a burden? Or is Jack himself the burden?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of good vs. evil in the novel. Who/what represents good? Who/what represents evil? How do they co-exist or do they? What is the final confrontation?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)