|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam recall about an argument between Judge Irwin and Governor Stanton?
2. What happens to Mortimer L. Littlepaugh?
3. What do Adam and Willie discuss when Jack and Willie go to Adam's apartment?
4. Who does Gummy Larson send to see Adam in Chapter 8?
5. What does Willie tell Adam about the hospital plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's use of local color particularly regarding speech and dialogue. How can you tell the differences in the characters backgrounds and experiences by the way they speak? Do you think Willie's colorful speaking style is exaggerated or is it realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Willie Stark. Be sure to include his personality and behaviors as well as his physicality? What drives Willie as a young man? How does Willie change as he grows older?
Essay Topic 3
The author inserts a surprising story in as Chapter 4 regarding the Mastern family. What lessons is the author trying to teach in this chapter? Is it the evil of slavery? The sins of marital infidelity? The burden of guilt and remorse? Explain your position.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)