|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie tell White after White accuses Willie of impunity?
(a) That White would make a good county prosecutor.
(b) White has watched the rich get richer and the poor get poorer for 15 years.
(c) That White should never have entered public office.
(d) That White should take some time off.
2. How does Willie benefit from what happens at the school fire drill?
(a) The people realize the corruption related to the brick quality and they should have voted for Willie.
(b) Willie is asked to work as a consultant on the rebuilding of the school.
(c) Willie gets to hire a new architect who is a friend of his.
(d) Willie gets reelected on a special emergency vote.
3. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 30 miles
(b) 130 miles
(c) 100 miles
(d) 33 miles
4. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
(a) Tiny does not have any speechwriting experience.
(b) Duffy is employed by the Harrison faction and they do not expect Willie to win, simply dilute the MacMurfee votes.
(c) Tiny is busy organizing Willie's travel itinerary.
(d) Tiny has never held a management position before.
5. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
(a) He wants him to be a part of all the excitement of Willie's administration.
(b) He wants him to go to Harvard or Yale and become a lawyer.
(c) He wants him to marry a nice girl and settle down in Mason City.
(d) He wants him to become a professional baseball player.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
2. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
3. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
4. What happens during the next election for governor?
5. What happens to Willie's career in April of 1933?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Willie's physical presence described by the author?
2. What purpose does Chapter 4 serve for the novel?
3. What role did Judge Irwin play in Jack's childhood?
4. What happens at the school two years after the new school is built?q
5. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
6. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
7. What does Jack's father mean when he shouts "Foulness" when Jack mentions Judge Irwin's name?
8. Briefly explain the Mastern family story.
9. When is Jack able to leave California and return home?
10. What conflicting information about Judge Irwin's financial history?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)