|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the answer to #45 reveal to Willie?
(a) That she has been attending all of Willie's speeches.
(b) That she is very attracted to Willie.
(c) That Willie will be a wonderful governor.
(d) That Willie has been used by the Hamiltons in the campaign.
2. Who is Willie Stark's wife?
3. On what topic does Willie complain to Jack about Lucy?
(a) How Lucy is raising their son, Tom
(b) How much weight Lucy seems to have gained recently
(c) How much Lucy has overextended her wardrobe budget
(d) How much money Lucy is spending to decorate the governor's mansion
4. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
(a) He wants him to go to Harvard or Yale and become a lawyer.
(b) He wants him to marry a nice girl and settle down in Mason City.
(c) He wants him to become a professional baseball player.
(d) He wants him to be a part of all the excitement of Willie's administration.
5. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
(b) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
(c) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(d) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
2. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
3. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
4. What two major political factions run the state?
5. To what year does the story flash back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that makes Adam accept the position of director of the hospital?
2. Why is the move to hire Adam Stanton as the administrator of Willie's new hospital so out of character for Willie?
3. What is the author's purpose of sending Jack on a road trip?
4. Why does the author have Jack return home from California?
5. When is Jack able to leave California and return home?
6. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
7. What crisis is occurring in the governor's office when Jack returns to town?
8. What is Willie's reaction when Judge Irwin refuses to support a man Willie has chosen for a senate nomination?
9. Explain how the novel ends on a small glimmer of hope.
10. How is Willie's physical presence described by the author?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)