|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what has White been accused?
(a) Having an affair with a congressman's wife
(b) Cheating on his taxes
(c) Making a deal with the Tax Lands Bureau for a kickback
(d) Propositioning one of the pages at the state house
2. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
(a) Mr. Stark
(b) Governor Stanton
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Mr. Burke
3. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
(a) Willie wins.
(b) Willie is defeated by the Harrison faction.
(c) Willie is defeated by the MacMurfee faction.
(d) Willie wins but does not accept the office.
4. Why is the decision made to back Willie?
(a) To split the Stanton vote
(b) To split the MacMurfee vote
(c) To split the Harrison vote
(d) To split the Irwin vote
5. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
(a) Mr. Stark
(b) Judge Irwin
(c) Governor Stanton
(d) Grandfather Burden
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie's wife's profession?
2. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
3. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
4. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
5. Cass and his brother, Gilbert, and sister, Lavinia, were born in poverty in what state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the school two years after the new school is built?q
2. What is the reason that Willie's wife, Lucy, is leaving him?
3. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
4. How does Willie re-enter political life?
5. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
6. How do Jack's mother and Judge Irwin feel about Jack's association with Willie Stark?
7. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
8. How does Jack come to learn about the Mastern family?
9. What are the circumstances surrounding Willie's loss at reelection for the county treasurer job?
10. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)