|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
(a) Mr. Burke
(b) Governor Stanton
(c) Mr. Stark
(d) Judge Irwin
2. What surprising twist occurs at Willie's next speech?
(a) Willie tells the crowd about how he has been duped and he is resigning in order to support MacMurfee.
(b) Willie resigns before he is blackmailed.
(c) Willie resigns because his wife cannot withstand the rigors of the campaign.
(d) Willie resigns because he gets some bad medical news.
3. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
4. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 130 miles
(b) 100 miles
(c) 30 miles
(d) 33 miles
5. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
(a) Because she cannot live in the glare of the public spotlight
(b) Because he has covered up Byram White's crime
(c) Because she has fallen in love with someone else
(d) Because Willie is having an affair
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
2. How many husbands has Mrs. Burden had?
3. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
4. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
5. What two major political factions run the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie re-enter political life?
2. What crisis is occurring in the governor's office when Jack returns to town?
3. What leads Jack to explore the judge's interest in the American Electric Power Company?
4. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
5. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
6. Explain how Judge Irwin's death grants Jack his independence.
7. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
8. Why is the move to hire Adam Stanton as the administrator of Willie's new hospital so out of character for Willie?
9. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
10. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)