|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
(a) Make sure Willie is front page news tomorrow
(b) Find something to blackmail Judge Irwin
(c) Find a way to influence the judge
(d) Find his own way back to town
2. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 33 miles
(b) 30 miles
(c) 130 miles
(d) 100 miles
3. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
(b) The politics involved in a construction contract award
(c) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
(d) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
4. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
(a) Willie wins.
(b) Willie wins but does not accept the office.
(c) Willie is defeated by the MacMurfee faction.
(d) Willie is defeated by the Harrison faction.
5. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
(a) Frees them and sends them to school
(b) Threatens them with mutilation if they try to run away
(c) Frees them and hires them
(d) Increases the whippings
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie tell White after White accuses Willie of impunity?
2. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
3. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
4. How can Willie be confident in his position?
5. What does Willie want of Judge Irwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What potential issues surround the contract being awarded to J.H. Moore?
2. How does the author indicate that Willie is against drinking alcohol?
3. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
4. What leads Jack to explore the judge's interest in the American Electric Power Company?
5. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
6. What does the new hospital symbolize for Willie?
7. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
8. What leads Jack to believe that the judge had more secret financial dealings?
9. What is the reason that Willie's wife, Lucy, is leaving him?
10. What is the nature of Jack's second historical project which he launches in Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)