|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprising twist occurs at Willie's next speech?
(a) Willie resigns because his wife cannot withstand the rigors of the campaign.
(b) Willie tells the crowd about how he has been duped and he is resigning in order to support MacMurfee.
(c) Willie resigns because he gets some bad medical news.
(d) Willie resigns before he is blackmailed.
2. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
(a) He does not have a good record on administering city tax dollars.
(b) He does not have enough money to print campaign posters.
(c) He runs against the mayor's very popular son.
(d) The city commissioners start a rumor that the contractor Willie wanted, Jeffers, hired Negro workers.
3. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
(a) Transylvania University in Kentucky
(b) Harvard University in Massachusetts
(c) Princeton University in New Jersey
(d) Yale University in Connecticut
4. In what year does the story begin?
5. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Willie's campaign manager?
2. What happens to Willie's career in April of 1933?
3. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
4. What do Willie and Jack do with Willie's father?
5. What is Judge Irwin's response to Willie's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
2. What is the author's purpose of sending Jack on a road trip?
3. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
4. What had happened to Anne after she breaks up with Jack and graduates college?
5. Under what circumstances did Jack's parents meet?
6. How does the author indicate that Willie is against drinking alcohol?
7. What are the circumstances surrounding Willie's loss at reelection for the county treasurer job?
8. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
9. What twist of fate changes public perception of Willie Stark?
10. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)