|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the story begin?
2. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
(a) Find something to blackmail Judge Irwin
(b) Find his own way back to town
(c) Find a way to influence the judge
(d) Make sure Willie is front page news tomorrow
3. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
(a) Because she cannot live in the glare of the public spotlight
(b) Because she has fallen in love with someone else
(c) Because Willie is having an affair
(d) Because he has covered up Byram White's crime
4. Who is Cass Mastern?
(a) The topic of Jack's dissertation for the Ph.D. in History
(b) Jack's favorite history professor
(c) Jack's landlord during college
(d) Jack's high school football coach
5. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
(a) Sadie Burke
(b) Lucille Burden
(c) Mary Harrison
(d) Anne Stanton
Short Answer Questions
1. How many husbands has Mrs. Burden had?
2. What does Willie do after he loses the election?
3. How does Willie enter politics again?
4. What is the topic of Jack's dissertation?
5. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in the literary technique does the author use at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. Explain how the novel ends on a small glimmer of hope.
3. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
4. What leads Jack to explore the judge's interest in the American Electric Power Company?
5. What is Willie's second plan of action when he cannot get to the Fryes?
6. What is the nature of Jack's second historical project which he launches in Chapter 5?
7. How is Willie's physical presence described by the author?
8. How do Jack's mother and Judge Irwin feel about Jack's association with Willie Stark?
9. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
10. Does Jack have any contact with his real father now?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)