|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two major political factions run the state?
(a) The Stark faction and the Burden faction
(b) The Irwin faction and the Stanton faction
(c) The Burke faction and the Stark faction
(d) The Harrison faction and the MacMurfee faction
2. What happens when Jack visits his father in his small apartment now?
(a) Jack takes his father to dinner and a movie.
(b) Jack rejects his religious obsessions and his father says he will pray for Jack's soul.
(c) Jack takes food so his father will remember to eat.
(d) Jack takes his father to minor league baseball games.
3. When Jack returns to his office, he finds that ______________________________ have been begun for State Auditor, Byram B. White.
(a) Impeachment proceedings
(b) Reelection plans
(c) Birthday celebration
(d) Anniversary plans
4. Why is the decision made to back Willie?
(a) To split the MacMurfee vote
(b) To split the Stanton vote
(c) To split the Harrison vote
(d) To split the Irwin vote
5. Who does not approve of Jack working for Willie?
(a) Anne Stanton
(b) Jack's mother, Mrs. Burden
(c) Tiny Duffy
(d) Judge Irwin
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
2. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
3. What does Cass learn from Gilbert?
4. What does Willie want for his son, Tom?
5. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's purpose of sending Jack on a road trip?
2. What is the nature of Jack's second historical project which he launches in Chapter 5?
3. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
4. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
5. What conflicting information about Judge Irwin's financial history?
6. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
7. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
8. What leads Jack to believe that the judge had more secret financial dealings?
9. What leads Jack to explore the judge's interest in the American Electric Power Company?
10. How does Jack reason out Judge Irwin's role in his childhood?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)