|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
(c) Orange pop
(d) Sweet tea
2. How many husbands has Mrs. Burden had?
3. Why does Annabelle sell Phebe, her waiting maid?
(a) Because Phebe had set fire to the bedroom drapes with a candle.
(b) Because Annabelle wants a younger maid in the house.
(c) Because Phebe knows about Annabelle's husband's ring on Cass' finger.
(d) Because she saw Annabelle shoot her husband.
4. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
5. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
(a) Anne Stanton
(b) Lucille Burden
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Mary Harrison
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to indicate that Lucy is not engaged in Willie's life?
2. What does Willie tell Jack that he is going to build?
3. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
4. How does Willie enter politics again?
5. What does Willie do after he loses the election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the new hospital symbolize for Willie?
2. Does Jack have any contact with his real father now?
3. Jack takes an abrupt, unannounced trip to California after learning of Anne's affair with Willie. What consumes Jack's thoughts as he drives cross-country?
4. What is the major point of contention between Willie and Lucy about their son, Tom?
5. How does Willie re-enter political life?
6. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
7. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
8. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
9. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
10. Which of the Mastern family members holds special appeal for Jack?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)