|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprising twist occurs at Willie's next speech?
(a) Willie resigns because his wife cannot withstand the rigors of the campaign.
(b) Willie resigns before he is blackmailed.
(c) Willie resigns because he gets some bad medical news.
(d) Willie tells the crowd about how he has been duped and he is resigning in order to support MacMurfee.
2. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
(a) County Treasurer
(b) Assistant District Attorney
(c) County Prosecutor
(d) Court Reporter
3. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
(a) Harvard University in Massachusetts
(b) Transylvania University in Kentucky
(c) Yale University in Connecticut
(d) Princeton University in New Jersey
4. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
(a) Jack wants to put himself through college and the state school is less expensive.
(b) Jack thinks his mother still needs his help occasionally.
(c) Jack does not think he would adapt well to a northern school.
(d) Jack does not want to move that far away from home.
5. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
(a) Lucille MacMurfee
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Sadie Burke
(d) Mrs. Pillsbury
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
2. Why is the decision made to back Willie?
3. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
4. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
5. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the school two years after the new school is built?q
2. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
3. What is it that makes Adam accept the position of director of the hospital?
4. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
5. What does the new hospital symbolize for Willie?
6. When is Jack able to leave California and return home?
7. What is the author's purpose of sending Jack on a road trip?
8. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
9. Explain Anne's pattern of not committing to any permanent relationship in her life.
10. What are the circumstances surrounding Willie's loss at reelection for the county treasurer job?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)