|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the woman who works for Willie?
(a) Lucille Burke
(b) Anne Stanton
(c) Marie Stanton
(d) Sadie Burke
2. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
(a) The politics involved in a construction contract award
(b) The Mason City Fourth of July Celebration
(c) The Mason City Labor Day Beauty Pageant
(d) The fire at the Mason City Elementary School
3. To what college does Gilbert send Cass?
(a) Princeton University in New Jersey
(b) Transylvania University in Kentucky
(c) Harvard University in Massachusetts
(d) Yale University in Connecticut
4. Who steps in and offers blackmail as a tool to help White?
(a) Governor Stark
(b) Tiny Duffy
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Former Governor Stanton
5. What does Willie tell White after White accuses Willie of impunity?
(a) That White should take some time off.
(b) That White would make a good county prosecutor.
(c) White has watched the rich get richer and the poor get poorer for 15 years.
(d) That White should never have entered public office.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
2. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
3. How can Willie be confident in his position?
4. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
5. What kinds of stories are surfacing at the newspaper office, The Chronicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Jack's second historical project which he launches in Chapter 5?
2. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
3. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
4. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
5. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
6. Explain how Judge Irwin's death grants Jack his independence.
7. What is the author's purpose of sending Jack on a road trip?
8. How does Jack come to learn about the Mastern family?
9. What is revealed in the literary technique does the author use at the beginning of Chapter 2?
10. What startling fact is revealed to Jack when he goes home to see if Judge Irwin will use his influence with MacMurfree?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)