|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
2. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
(a) Willie's mentor
(b) Willie's grandfather
(c) Willie's old coach
(d) Willie's father
3. What happens to Willie's career in April of 1933?
(a) The news of Willie's affairs threatens his career.
(b) Willie has to step down for health reasons.
(c) Willie receives the national endorsement to campaign for president.
(d) There are impeachment proceeding initiated because of the White case.
4. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
(b) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
(c) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
(d) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
5. Why does the Attorney General, Hugh Miller resign his position?
(a) He objects to the help given to White.
(b) He can no longer keep the travel schedule necessary for the job.
(c) He has been diagonosed with a terminal illness.
(d) His wife has a terminal illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many husbands has Mrs. Burden had?
2. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
3. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
4. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
5. What does Jack think he can find to blackmail Judge Irwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the new hospital symbolize for Willie?
2. How do Jack's mother and Judge Irwin feel about Jack's association with Willie Stark?
3. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
4. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
5. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
6. To whom is the construction contract awarded and why?
7. What does Jack's father mean when he shouts "Foulness" when Jack mentions Judge Irwin's name?
8. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
9. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
10. Explain how Judge Irwin's death grants Jack his independence.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)