|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
(b) The Big Guy
(c) The Boss
(d) The Man
2. What does Willie order when everyone else orders beer?
(a) Sweet tea
(b) Orange pop
3. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
(a) Adam and Anne Stanton
(b) Sadie and Marie Burke
(c) Willie and Teddy Stark
(d) Tiny Duffy and Sugar Boy
4. What surprising twist occurs at Willie's next speech?
(a) Willie tells the crowd about how he has been duped and he is resigning in order to support MacMurfee.
(b) Willie resigns before he is blackmailed.
(c) Willie resigns because his wife cannot withstand the rigors of the campaign.
(d) Willie resigns because he gets some bad medical news.
5. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
(a) Find his own way back to town
(b) Find a way to influence the judge
(c) Make sure Willie is front page news tomorrow
(d) Find something to blackmail Judge Irwin
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what has White been accused?
2. Who befriends Willie to keep an eye on his campaign for the Harrison faction?
3. Why does Willie lose when he runs for reelection?
4. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
5. What is the topic of Jack's dissertation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. What is Willie's second plan of action when he cannot get to the Fryes?
3. Explain the actions in Chapter 9 which create not only the climax of the novel but also the classic theme of good vs. evil.
4. What is the nature of Anne Stanton's depression?
5. How do Jack's mother and Judge Irwin feel about Jack's association with Willie Stark?
6. Jack takes an abrupt, unannounced trip to California after learning of Anne's affair with Willie. What consumes Jack's thoughts as he drives cross-country?
7. What role did Judge Irwin play in Jack's childhood?
8. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
9. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
10. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)