|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie tell Jack that he is going to build?
(a) A monument in his likeness
(b) A free hospital and health center
(c) A new state courthouse
(d) A new civic center
2. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
(a) Willie's mentor
(b) Willie's grandfather
(c) Willie's father
(d) Willie's old coach
3. During dinner at the judge's home one night in 1933, what topic comes up as part of the conversation?
(a) Jack's old girlfriends
(b) Jack's job in politics and the influence he holds
(c) The coming war in Europe
(d) Jack's school days
4. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
(b) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
(c) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
(d) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
5. How did Cass die?
(a) From cancer
(b) Of old age
(c) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
(d) In the Battle of Gettysburg
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
2. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
3. Why does Jack attend the state university instead of abiding by his mother's wishes and going to Harvard or Princeton?
4. Who were Jack's childhood friends?
5. Who does not approve of Jack working for Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author have Jack return home from California?
2. To whom is the construction contract awarded and why?
3. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
4. How does Jack come to learn about the Mastern family?
5. How do Willie's problem-solving tactics emerge after his son, Tom, has a car accident?
6. When is Jack able to leave California and return home?
7. What is the reason that Willie's wife, Lucy, is leaving him?
8. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
9. How does Willie react when his assistant, Sadie Burke, tells him, "Judge Irwin has come for Callahan."
10. What was Cass' life like in Mississippi?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)