|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Dolph Pillsbury connected to the troubles with the brick kiln?
(a) Pillsbury used to make bricks for the kiln company.
(b) Pillsbury is a major investor in the kiln business.
(c) Pillsbury's brother-in-law owns the kiln and Pillsbury is suspected of getting kickbacks on the school job.
(d) Pillsbury used to do the accounting for the kiln company.
2. What does Willie tell Jack to do?
(a) Find something to blackmail Judge Irwin
(b) Find a way to influence the judge
(c) Make sure Willie is front page news tomorrow
(d) Find his own way back to town
3. How does Jack come in contact with Cass Mastern?
(a) Cass was a highly-honored Civil War general.
(b) Cass offers dissertation services to grad students.
(c) Cass' grandson contacts Jack to determine if Cass' papers have any financial worth.
(d) Cass places an ad for an apartment for rent.
4. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
5. What happens during the next election for governor?
(a) Willie runs but does not accept the position.
(b) Will is soundly defeated.
(c) Willie is elected.
(d) Willie declines to run.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie do after he loses the election?
2. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
3. What happens when Jack visits his father in his small apartment now?
4. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
5. In what year does the story begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
2. What does Anne give Jack as her reasons for having the affair with Willie?
3. What is the author's purpose of sending Jack on a road trip?
4. What crisis is occurring in the governor's office when Jack returns to town?
5. What is revealed in the literary technique does the author use at the beginning of Chapter 2?
6. What twist of fate changes public perception of Willie Stark?
7. Why does the author have Jack return home from California?
8. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
9. Explain how Judge Irwin's death grants Jack his independence.
10. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)