|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary technique does the author use to take the story back in time again?
(a) Plot timeline
(c) Plot in reverse
(d) Reverse plot
2. What happens to Willie's career in April of 1933?
(a) There are impeachment proceeding initiated because of the White case.
(b) Willie has to step down for health reasons.
(c) The news of Willie's affairs threatens his career.
(d) Willie receives the national endorsement to campaign for president.
3. How did Cass die?
(a) From cancer
(b) In the Battle of Gettysburg
(c) Of old age
(d) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
4. Who takes over as Jack's father after Jack's father leaves?
(a) Governor Stanton
(b) Grandfather Burden
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Mr. Stark
5. Which political faction covertly backs Willie's campaign?
(a) The Irwin faction
(b) The MacMurfee faction
(c) The Stanton faction
(d) The Harrison faction
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cass Mastern?
2. Of what has White been accused?
3. What was Willie Stark's job when Jack Burden first meets him?
4. What does Annabelle do when she sees Cass after her husband's death?
5. What is Judge Irwin's response to Willie's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Judge Irwin play in Jack's childhood?
2. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. Under what circumstances did Jack's parents meet?
4. When is Jack able to leave California and return home?
5. How does Jack come to learn about the Mastern family?
6. Which of the Mastern family members holds special appeal for Jack?
7. Briefly explain the Mastern family story.
8. Explain how the novel ends on a small glimmer of hope.
9. What leads Jack to explore the judge's interest in the American Electric Power Company?
10. How do Willie's problem-solving tactics emerge after his son, Tom, has a car accident?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)