|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilbert do after he runs away from home?
(a) He goes to California and starts a winery.
(b) He runs to Canada to hide out.
(c) He becomes a decorated Civil War general.
(d) He goes to Mississippi and becomes a wealthy cotton baron.
2. How did Cass die?
(a) In a military hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
(b) From cancer
(c) Of old age
(d) In the Battle of Gettysburg
3. Where do Willie and Jack go after leaving Judge Irwin?
(a) To Memphis
(b) To Willie's farm in Mason City
(c) To Baton Rouge
(d) To Biloxi
4. What happens when Willie runs for the governorship in 1930?
(a) Willie is defeated by the MacMurfee faction.
(b) Willie is defeated by the Harrison faction.
(c) Willie wins but does not accept the office.
(d) Willie wins.
5. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
(a) Mr. Burke
(b) Mr. Stark
(c) Judge Irwin
(d) Governor Stanton
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Judge Irwin react when a dinner guest berates Governor Stark's programs?
2. Where is Wille Stark's home town?
3. What does Cass do with his own slaves?
4. In what year does the story begin?
5. Why is Willie's wife, Lucy, leaving Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jack is not the only character undergoing a radical shift in perspective. What happens to Willie after the football game injury which paralyzes his son, Tom?
2. What is it that makes Adam accept the position of director of the hospital?
3. How does Judge Irwin react when he sees Jack and Willie at his home?
4. How does Jack come to learn about the Mastern family?
5. How does Willie's standard manipulative behavior exhibit in Chapter 8?
6. What happens at the school two years after the new school is built?q
7. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
8. What potential issues surround the contract being awarded to J.H. Moore?
9. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
10. What is Willie's reaction when Judge Irwin refuses to support a man Willie has chosen for a senate nomination?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)