|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what year does the story flash back?
2. Why will Tiny Duffy not help Willie improve his dreadful campaign speeches?
(a) Duffy is employed by the Harrison faction and they do not expect Willie to win, simply dilute the MacMurfee votes.
(b) Tiny does not have any speechwriting experience.
(c) Tiny is busy organizing Willie's travel itinerary.
(d) Tiny has never held a management position before.
3. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are innovative.
(b) They are conventional.
(c) They are not good.
(d) They are rousing.
4. How far is Burden's Landing from Mason City?
(a) 33 miles
(b) 100 miles
(c) 30 miles
(d) 130 miles
5. How can Willie be confident in his position?
(a) He knows how to campaign better than anyone in the state.
(b) He can blackmail anyone he needs to in order to secure his position.
(c) He has the loyalty of the people all over the state.
(d) He has helped the people in the state more than anyone else who has ever held the office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Willie and his entourage visiting at a farm?
2. With whom has Willie been having an affair?
3. What story does Jack's editor want Jack to get?
4. How does Jack confirm Willie's affair?
5. Where does Annabelle take Phebe to be sold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances did Jack's parents meet?
2. What negative trait of Willie's is verified by Willie's behavior in the White impeachment scandal?
3. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
4. How does Judge Irwin react when he sees Jack and Willie at his home?
5. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
6. What personal connection does Jack find to Cass Mastern during his research?
7. What conflicting information about Judge Irwin's financial history?
8. What does Jack discover when he digs into the school construction story?
9. Explain how Judge Irwin's death grants Jack his independence.
10. How does the author indicate that Willie is against drinking alcohol?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)