|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Willie Stark is known as ______________.
(a) The Boss
(c) The Big Guy
(d) The Man
2. What does Willie tell Jack that he is going to build?
(a) A free hospital and health center
(b) A monument in his likeness
(c) A new state courthouse
(d) A new civic center
3. What is the quality of Willie's speeches?
(a) They are rousing.
(b) They are conventional.
(c) They are innovative.
(d) They are not good.
4. What does the answer to #45 reveal to Willie?
(a) That Willie will be a wonderful governor.
(b) That she has been attending all of Willie's speeches.
(c) That she is very attracted to Willie.
(d) That Willie has been used by the Hamiltons in the campaign.
5. What is the situation regarding a brick kiln and the bricks Moore would use on the awarded job?
(a) The brick kiln cannot produce the amount of bricks needed to meet the deadline.
(b) The kiln is located in another state and there are tax issues.
(c) The brick kiln cannot produce the correct color of bricks for the school.
(d) There had been a lawsuit about the inferior quality of the bricks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Willie first run for governor?
2. Why does the Attorney General, Hugh Miller resign his position?
3. What does Jack Burden carry with him?
4. How can Willie be confident in his position?
5. Who was like a second father to Jack after Jack's father left?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author have Jack return home from California?
2. Compare and contrast the funerals for Willie and Adam.
3. What is Willie's second plan of action when he cannot get to the Fryes?
4. Under what circumstances did Jack's parents meet?
5. What happens in Chapter 8 to make Adam want to resign as director of the hospital?
6. What does Jack recall about his childhood at the beginning of Chapter 3?
7. Who was Jack find was the unexpected instigator in the deaths of Adam and Willie?
8. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
9. Jack takes an abrupt, unannounced trip to California after learning of Anne's affair with Willie. What consumes Jack's thoughts as he drives cross-country?
10. What role did Judge Irwin play in Jack's childhood?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)