Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1
1. How does the author begin the story in the present time of 1936?
2. What is the author's purpose for beginning the novel in the way he does?
3. Explain the literary technique of flashback that the author uses in Chapter 1.
4. How is Willie's physical presence described by the author?
5. How does the author indicate that Willie is against drinking alcohol?
6. How does Willie react when his assistant, Sadie Burke, tells him, "Judge Irwin has come for Callahan."
This section contains 851 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)