|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
2. What kind of a leader was Papa Doc to Haiti?
3. What was the main question that people asked in Rick's hometown after the incident in 1994 that brought him back home to write a story?
4. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
5. What did the young South Carolina woman say happened to her two boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
2. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
3. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
4. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
5. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
6. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
7. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
8. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
9. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
10. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
Essay Topic 2
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 3
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)