|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
2. What are the cemeteries like in Haiti?
3. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
4. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
5. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
2. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
3. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
4. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
5. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
6. Why did Rick never drink alone?
7. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
8. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
9. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
10. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a widow's mite, and why does Rick Bragg use it as a title for the first section of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The Susan Smith story made Rick feel hatred for the hopelessness of it all. What did he see as hopeless? What did Susan see in comparison? What lesson does Rick wish that he could have taught her before she killed her children?
Essay Topic 3
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)