|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick compare time lost to?
2. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
3. What did Rick tell him momma that he wrote about?
4. What did Rick say that men did instead of rioting?
5. What kind of people did Rick write about from Immokalee, Florida?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
2. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
3. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
4. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
5. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
6. Why did Rick never drink alone?
7. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
8. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
9. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
10. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the riots in Miami, Sean kept the rock as did Rick for a while until they couldn't keep it any more. What is the significance of the rock? What made them keep it? What made them get rid of it?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
Essay Topic 3
What drew Rick to spend his life writing stories about human tragedy? Did writing these types of stories resolve his inner issues? What did he learn about life from these stories?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)