|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
2. Why did Rick quit college?
3. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
4. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
5. How big was the property of momma's new house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
2. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
3. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
4. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
5. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
6. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
7. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
8. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
9. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
10. Why did momma move out of the new house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Rick and his brothers to an average American household. How were the boys the same as others? How were they different? Mention not only material items but how they thought about themselves and how others thought about them.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)