|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rick's first story about as a news reporter for the Anniston Star?
2. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
3. What did Rick go home for in the year that he was in Haiti?
4. What did Margaret worry about after Rick won his award?
5. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did momma move out of the new house?
2. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
3. Why did Rick never drink alone?
4. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
5. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
6. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
7. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
8. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
9. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
10. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a widow's mite, and why does Rick Bragg use it as a title for the first section of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What drew Rick to spend his life writing stories about human tragedy? Did writing these types of stories resolve his inner issues? What did he learn about life from these stories?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the three brothers. How do their differences affect the choices that they make in life?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)