|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Mark that kept Margaret shaking for days?
2. What story brought Rick back home in 1994?
3. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
4. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
5. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
2. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
3. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
4. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
5. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
6. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
7. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
8. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
9. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
10. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thirty years later, Rick went back to see the big house that he once lived in. It was renovated. Rick wanted to scream when he saw it. Explain why he would want to scream at a beautiful house.
Essay Topic 2
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)