|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was momma most taken by in the new house?
2. What did Rick do at the old little house that momma did not?
3. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
4. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
5. What overall statement did Rick make about Miami?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
2. Why did Rick never drink alone?
3. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
4. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
5. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
6. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
7. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
8. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
9. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
10. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 2
What did Rick truly believe about his father and the type of person he once was and the type of person he became? What changed his father? Why did Rick choose to believe this?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)