|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
2. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
3. What did Rick state as the reason that Mark was sober for the funeral?
4. What was Margaret's response when Rick told her that he got the Fellowship?
5. What was the wall in Brooklyn that Rick wrote about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
2. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
3. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
4. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
5. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
6. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
7. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
8. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
9. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
10. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the three brothers. How do their differences affect the choices that they make in life?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 3
What did Rick truly believe about his father and the type of person he once was and the type of person he became? What changed his father? Why did Rick choose to believe this?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)