|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the wall in Brooklyn that Rick wrote about?
2. What statue stands in Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham?
3. What did Rick compare time lost to?
4. To what does the title "Monsters" refer?
5. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
2. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
3. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
4. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
5. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
6. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
7. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
8. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
9. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
10. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Susan Smith story made Rick feel hatred for the hopelessness of it all. What did he see as hopeless? What did Susan see in comparison? What lesson does Rick wish that he could have taught her before she killed her children?
Essay Topic 2
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
Essay Topic 3
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)