|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
2. Who picked out momma's new house?
3. What did Rick's new friends at Harvard teach him?
4. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
5. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
2. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
3. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
4. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
5. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
6. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
7. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
8. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
9. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
10. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the three brothers. How do their differences affect the choices that they make in life?
Essay Topic 3
Rick protected his mother from the horror stories that he wrote about. What was his motive behind this decision? Was it the right decision? Did he do it for himself ultimately or for her?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)