|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick never do alone?
2. Who picked out momma's new house?
3. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
4. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
5. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did momma move out of the new house?
2. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
3. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
4. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
5. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
6. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
7. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
8. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
9. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
10. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rick's views about religion? Where do they come from? How do they affect him emotionally? What does he understand that he is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the quote found on page 98: "But what really kills you on that other side are the people--the smiling, care-free people--who can just as easily look over into your side, and turn their face away." Explain it in terms of the memoir and the truism in life.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)