|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Rick NOT want to be buried?
2. How big was the property of momma's new house?
3. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
4. What happened to Mark that kept Margaret shaking for days?
5. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
2. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
3. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
4. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
5. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
6. Why did Rick never drink alone?
7. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
8. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
9. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
10. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Nieman Fellowship and the Harvard education validate Rick? What was he looking for validation for? Did it change him? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the historical implications of the book. How does the time and place create the lives and the choices of the people in the book?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)