|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
2. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
3. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
4. Why did Rick lose his job at the Birmingham paper?
5. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
2. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
3. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
4. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
5. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
6. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
7. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
8. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
9. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
10. What are some of the stories that Rick experienced in Clearwater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Rick's views about religion? Where do they come from? How do they affect him emotionally? What does he understand that he is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Rick and his brothers to an average American household. How were the boys the same as others? How were they different? Mention not only material items but how they thought about themselves and how others thought about them.
Essay Topic 3
How did the school system create Sam's life for him? Was this fair? What choices did Sam have? Do children know and understand their choices? Did Sam?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)