|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
2. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
3. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
4. Where did Rick travel to the first time he went out of the country to write a story?
5. Why did Rick quit college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
2. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
3. Why did momma move out of the new house?
4. Why did Rick never drink alone?
5. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
6. What are some of the stories that Rick experienced in Clearwater?
7. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
8. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
9. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
10. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the quote found on page 98: "But what really kills you on that other side are the people--the smiling, care-free people--who can just as easily look over into your side, and turn their face away." Explain it in terms of the memoir and the truism in life.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)