|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
2. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
3. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
4. How did Sam feel about Rick going off to his Fellowship?
5. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
2. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
3. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
4. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
5. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
6. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
7. Why did Rick never drink alone?
8. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
9. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
10. Why did momma move out of the new house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the quote found on page 98: "But what really kills you on that other side are the people--the smiling, care-free people--who can just as easily look over into your side, and turn their face away." Explain it in terms of the memoir and the truism in life.
Essay Topic 2
What is a widow's mite, and why does Rick Bragg use it as a title for the first section of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)