|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
2. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
3. What did Sam wear to his grandmother's funeral?
4. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
5. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
2. Why did Rick never drink alone?
3. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
4. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
5. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
6. Why did momma move out of the new house?
7. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
8. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
9. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
10. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Susan Smith story made Rick feel hatred for the hopelessness of it all. What did he see as hopeless? What did Susan see in comparison? What lesson does Rick wish that he could have taught her before she killed her children?
Essay Topic 2
According to Rick, what does true poverty do to a person's life from childhood to adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Rick protected his mother from the horror stories that he wrote about. What was his motive behind this decision? Was it the right decision? Did he do it for himself ultimately or for her?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)