|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was momma most taken by in the new house?
2. What did Rick go home for in the year that he was in Haiti?
3. What did Mark build in the woods?
4. What was Margaret's response when Rick told her that he got the Fellowship?
5. How long had momma lived in the little house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
2. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
3. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
4. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
5. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
6. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
7. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
8. Why did momma move out of the new house?
9. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
10. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What drew Rick to spend his life writing stories about human tragedy? Did writing these types of stories resolve his inner issues? What did he learn about life from these stories?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rick's views about religion? Where do they come from? How do they affect him emotionally? What does he understand that he is missing?
Essay Topic 3
What historical lesson did Rick Bragg teach his readers about Haiti? How has this story affected Rick, and what did he hope the story would continue to do to his readers?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)