|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big was the property of momma's new house?
2. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
3. How did Sam feel about Rick going off to his Fellowship?
4. What did Rick's new friends at Harvard teach him?
5. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
2. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
3. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
4. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
5. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
6. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
7. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
8. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
9. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
10. Why did momma move out of the new house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Susan Smith story made Rick feel hatred for the hopelessness of it all. What did he see as hopeless? What did Susan see in comparison? What lesson does Rick wish that he could have taught her before she killed her children?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
Essay Topic 3
What is a widow's mite, and why does Rick Bragg use it as a title for the first section of the book?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)