|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
2. What did Rick say about his mother's attendance at his wedding?
3. What was the one big award that Rick desired?
4. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
5. To what does the title "Monsters" refer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
2. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
3. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
4. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
5. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
6. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
7. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
8. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
9. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
10. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Rick's views about religion? Where do they come from? How do they affect him emotionally? What does he understand that he is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret had some small pictures of Charles which Rick looked at now and again as a boy. At one point he said, "It hurts my eyes to look at them for long." Explain the quote in regard to Rick's relationship to his father.
Essay Topic 3
What drew Rick to spend his life writing stories about human tragedy? Did writing these types of stories resolve his inner issues? What did he learn about life from these stories?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)