|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Rick NOT want to be buried?
2. How did Margaret react to her trip to New York City?
3. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
4. What was momma most taken by in the new house?
5. What had Mark been doing since his fight with Sam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
2. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
3. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
4. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
5. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
6. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
7. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
8. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
9. Why did momma move out of the new house?
10. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the three brothers. How do their differences affect the choices that they make in life?
Essay Topic 2
Rick protected his mother from the horror stories that he wrote about. What was his motive behind this decision? Was it the right decision? Did he do it for himself ultimately or for her?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up, what was Rick taught to believe about black people? What did he learn as a child for himself about them? What happened with the experience after the black boy brought Rick's family food?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)