|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statue stands in Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham?
(a) Bear Bryant.
(b) Martin Luther King Jr.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) George Wallace.
2. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
(a) He said that in many ways they were the same.
(b) He said that he is a winner and his father a loser.
(c) He said they are completely different.
(d) He said that his father's faults made him a better man.
3. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
4. Why did momma move out of her new house?
(a) She was afraid there by herself.
(b) She missed the old house too much.
(c) The dog died at the new house.
(d) Sam and Mark had a fight on the front lawn.
5. How old was Rick when he married?
(a) In his early twenties.
(b) In his mid-twenties.
(c) In his early thirties.
(d) In his late twenties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the soldiers of Haiti randomly shoot the poor?
2. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
3. What storm stopped Rick from leaving for his Fellowship on the day he was supposed to?
4. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
5. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did momma move out of the new house?
2. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
3. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
4. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
5. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
6. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
7. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
8. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
9. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
10. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)