|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was different about Thanksgiving in the new house?
(a) Mark came sober.
(b) Rick got his own bed.
(c) They all got to sit together in one room.
(d) Momma had guests.
2. How did Rick try to buy his way into heaven?
(a) By buying his girlfriend a car.
(b) By buying his momma a pair of dentures.
(c) By buying his ex-wife a baby carriage.
(d) By buying his brother a business.
3. What did Sam let Rick do when they finally went fishing?
(a) Cook the fish.
(b) Bait the line.
(c) Reel in the fish Sam caught.
(d) Tell momma Rick caught the fish.
4. Why did Rick quit college?
(a) He did not feel like he is learning enough.
(b) He got a job as a reporter.
(c) He can't handle the work load.
(d) He did not like it.
5. Where was Rick working in the winter of 1964 as Chapter 16 opened?
(a) The Boston Herald.
(b) The Jacksonvill News.
(c) The Chicago Tribune.
(d) The New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
2. What did Rick go home for in the year that he was in Haiti?
3. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
4. What story brought Rick back home in 1994?
5. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
2. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
3. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
4. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
5. What are some of the stories that Rick experienced in Clearwater?
6. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
7. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
8. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
9. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
10. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)