|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
(a) Financial freedom.
(b) Freedom, respect, and dignity.
(d) Hard work.
2. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
(a) He brokered peace with the despots of Haiti.
(b) He ignored the Amercian soldiers in Haiti.
(c) He only sent funding to Haiti.
(d) He helps keep Aristide away from Haiti.
3. What did Margaret worry about after Rick won his award?
(a) Rick getting rougher writing assignments.
(b) Having him stay away for longer periods of time.
(c) People noticing her more.
(d) Having her picture taken.
4. Where did Sam end up finding his career?
(a) At a constuction sight.
(b) At a mechanics shop.
(c) At a bar.
(d) At a cottonmill.
5. How did Rick try to buy his way into heaven?
(a) By buying his momma a pair of dentures.
(b) By buying his ex-wife a baby carriage.
(c) By buying his girlfriend a car.
(d) By buying his brother a business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of stories did Rick write for the St. Petersburg Times while living in St. Petersburg after the Fellowship?
2. How did Sam feel about Rick going off to his Fellowship?
3. What did Sam wear to his grandmother's funeral?
4. Why did Margaret stay home from Abigail's funeral?
5. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
2. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
3. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
4. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
5. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
6. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
7. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
8. Why did Rick never drink alone?
9. Why did momma move out of the new house?
10. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)