|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rick state as the reason that Mark was sober for the funeral?
(a) Mark was trying to get sober for his mother.
(b) Mark did it out of respect for his grandmother.
(c) Mark grieved like good men do.
(d) Mark didn't want his family to see him drunk.
2. How big was the property of momma's new house?
(a) Two acres.
(b) 1.3 acres.
(c) One-third of an acre.
(d) Half an acre.
3. Why did the serial diner keep committing the same crime?
(a) He wanted to be in jail where he got three meals a day.
(b) He liked the attention.
(c) He did not want to be alone.
(d) He believed it makes him famous.
4. What are the cemeteries like in Haiti?
(a) Empty because they burn the bodies.
(b) So full the caretakers don't know where they put people.
(c) Guarded as no one is allowed in.
(d) Well kept as life is sacred.
5. Why did Rick lose his job at the Birmingham paper?
(a) He had a fight with his boss.
(b) He chose to cover only certain stories.
(c) He became too full of himself.
(d) He called out sick a lot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
2. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
3. What did the young South Carolina woman say happened to her two boys?
4. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
5. What was the one big award that Rick desired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
2. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
3. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
4. Why did momma move out of the new house?
5. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
6. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
7. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
8. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
9. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
10. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)