|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
(a) Rosario has been robbed so many times that he just wants to shoot them.
(b) Rosario worries that the robber will shoot up the store.
(c) Rosario knows the police won't help.
(d) Rosario cannot trust that the robber will take the money without shooting him.
2. What kind of a leader was Papa Doc to Haiti?
(a) A savior.
3. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
(a) He brokered peace with the despots of Haiti.
(b) He helps keep Aristide away from Haiti.
(c) He ignored the Amercian soldiers in Haiti.
(d) He only sent funding to Haiti.
4. When did Rick come to realize that Susan was guilty of killing her own children?
(a) Not until the car was found.
(b) Margaret told him that she would have died for her children.
(c) When a lead from a girl did not pan out.
(d) When a TV reporter asked why someone would take the car with kids in it.
5. What did Rick state as the reason that Mark was sober for the funeral?
(a) Mark grieved like good men do.
(b) Mark did it out of respect for his grandmother.
(c) Mark didn't want his family to see him drunk.
(d) Mark was trying to get sober for his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
2. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
3. What did the foreign correspondents eat at the Montana Hotel in Haiti?
4. What was momma most taken by in the new house?
5. What did the young South Carolina woman say happened to her two boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
2. Why did momma move out of the new house?
3. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
4. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
5. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
6. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
7. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
8. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
9. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
10. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)