|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sam let Rick do when they finally went fishing?
(a) Tell momma Rick caught the fish.
(b) Reel in the fish Sam caught.
(c) Bait the line.
(d) Cook the fish.
2. How long did Rick work for the L.A. Times?
(a) One winter.
(b) One year.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
3. What kind of a leader was Papa Doc to Haiti?
(c) A savior.
4. After Rick's second trip to Haiti, what promotion did he receive?
(a) National correspondent to the West.
(b) International correspondent to Turkey.
(c) National correspondent to the South.
(d) International correspondent to Iran.
5. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
(a) Mostly, they stayed away.
(b) They were loud and overwhelming.
(c) They paid her homage for the son that she raised.
(d) With kid gloves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
2. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
3. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
4. What did the woman tell Rick who he met at a seminar at the end of the book?
5. What did Rick compare time lost to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
2. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
3. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
4. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
5. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
6. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
7. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
8. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
9. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
10. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)