|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main question that people asked in Rick's hometown after the incident in 1994 that brought him back home to write a story?
(a) Where was God when it happened?
(b) Why would God hurt the poor?
(c) What had the people done wrong to be punished?
(d) What do we do next?
2. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
(a) He brokered peace with the despots of Haiti.
(b) He ignored the Amercian soldiers in Haiti.
(c) He helps keep Aristide away from Haiti.
(d) He only sent funding to Haiti.
3. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
(a) The news staff.
(b) The editors.
(c) The photo staff.
(d) The fluff piece staff.
4. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
(a) A car.
(b) A new wardrobe.
(c) A vacation.
(d) A house.
5. What did Sam give Rick to take back to Miami with him?
(a) Deer meat.
(b) A hard hat.
(c) A gun.
(d) A sack of pine cones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story did Rick write about in Clearwater that marked him forever?
2. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
3. What did Sam wear to his grandmother's funeral?
4. How did Rick try to buy his way into heaven?
5. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
2. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
3. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
4. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
5. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
6. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
7. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
8. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
9. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
10. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)