|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Rick take the job he wanted at the St. Petersburg Times?
(a) His momma got sick, so he had to go home.
(b) His new girlfriend asked him not to.
(c) An old friend wanted him to return to the Anniston Star.
(d) His brother was in trouble again, so he had to go home.
2. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
(a) To convince herself that it is real.
(b) To prove to others that her son was a good boy.
(c) It represented validation.
(d) She was vain.
3. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
(a) He was elected for the second time.
(b) He was assassinated.
(c) He lost the election by poplular vote.
(d) He went into exile.
4. What did Rick keep as a reminder of the night he went out on a dangerous story with Sean?
(a) A shirt.
(b) A rock.
(c) A copy of the story.
(d) A steering wheel.
5. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
(a) A train wreck with many left dead.
(b) A murder in a grocery store.
(c) A young boy getting killed in an accident.
(d) A riot in Miami.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick's new friends at Harvard teach him?
2. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
3. When Rick went home in 1988, how long had it been since he spent the holidays there?
4. Why did momma move out of her new house?
5. What did Sam give Rick to take back to Miami with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
2. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
3. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
4. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
5. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
6. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
7. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
8. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
9. Why did Rick question his feelings about being a reporter after the Oklahoma City bombings?
10. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)