|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the one gift that Rick wanted more than anything to give his mother?
(a) A car.
(b) A house.
(c) A vacation.
(d) A new wardrobe.
2. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(b) The South.
3. What kind of people did Rick write about from Immokalee, Florida?
(b) The homeless.
(c) Crew bosses.
(d) Poor migrant workers who drank too much.
4. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
(a) Rosario has been robbed so many times that he just wants to shoot them.
(b) Rosario knows the police won't help.
(c) Rosario worries that the robber will shoot up the store.
(d) Rosario cannot trust that the robber will take the money without shooting him.
5. What did Rick's wife tell him that scared him out of the marriage?
(a) He worked too late.
(b) He only cared about his work.
(c) She did not want him traveling for his stories.
(d) She thought she was pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Louis Bolivar make seven days a week in Haiti?
2. Why did Susan Smith kill her two boys?
3. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
4. What did Rick tell him momma that he wrote about?
5. Why did momma move out of her new house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rick never drink alone?
2. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
3. Why did momma move out of the new house?
4. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
5. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
6. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
7. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
8. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
9. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
10. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)