|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rick compare himself to his father?
(a) He said that in many ways they were the same.
(b) He said they are completely different.
(c) He said that his father's faults made him a better man.
(d) He said that he is a winner and his father a loser.
2. What did Rick claim as the highlight of his stay in Tampa?
(a) The hurricanes.
(b) A story about a chicken named Mopsy.
(c) A surfer named Topsy.
(d) A serial killer.
3. What else does "bodega" mean besides "store"?
(a) Hard work.
(b) Freedom, respect, and dignity.
(c) Financial freedom.
4. What kind of a leader was Papa Doc to Haiti?
(b) A savior.
5. In writing about sports, what did Rick come to realize were the only types of stories that he wanted to write?
(a) The ones in which people struggle.
(c) Car racing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
2. Why did Margaret hang Rick's awards on her walls?
3. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
4. What does perfume on a hog reference to in the chapter of that title?
5. Why do the soldiers of Haiti randomly shoot the poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
2. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
3. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
4. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
5. What did Rick learn in Birmingham as he worked for the paper?
6. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
7. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
8. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
9. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
10. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)