|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the NY Times staff helped Rick the most when he first got there?
(a) The editors.
(b) The news staff.
(c) The fluff piece staff.
(d) The photo staff.
2. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(d) The South.
3. Why did Rick think that he had to take the city reporter's job?
(a) He had a fancy car payment.
(b) He had a wife.
(c) His mother needed the money.
(d) He had to show up the editor that insulted him.
4. What statue stands in Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham?
(a) George Wallace.
(b) Martin Luther King Jr.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) Bear Bryant.
5. What did Rick claim as the highlight of his stay in Tampa?
(a) A story about a chicken named Mopsy.
(b) A serial killer.
(c) The hurricanes.
(d) A surfer named Topsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was momma most taken by in the new house?
2. What was different about Thanksgiving in the new house?
3. What did Sam let Rick do when they finally went fishing?
4. What did Rick do for Dirty Red?
5. What happened to Mark that kept Margaret shaking for days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
2. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
3. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
4. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
5. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
6. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
7. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
8. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
9. How did Rick feel about the Fellowship to Harvard and why? How did his family feel?
10. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)