|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
(a) He helps keep Aristide away from Haiti.
(b) He ignored the Amercian soldiers in Haiti.
(c) He only sent funding to Haiti.
(d) He brokered peace with the despots of Haiti.
2. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
(a) He traveled too much.
(b) Women found him too harsh.
(c) He did not want to be involved.
(d) He never learned what real love is.
3. Why was Rick so nervous about his Fellowship interview?
(a) He wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted.
(b) His editor told him he was a shoe in.
(c) It was a test to him to see if he belonged in educated society.
(d) His friends told him he was not cut out for it.
4. What did Rick do at the old little house that momma did not?
(a) He walked it one more time.
(b) He spit on the ground.
(c) He cried when she leaves it.
(d) He rejoiced that they are gone from it forever.
5. What was momma most taken by in the new house?
(a) The doorbell.
(b) The thermostat.
(c) The dishwasher.
(d) The hot running water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Margaret do at the buffet in New York City that both surprised and amused Rick?
2. Where was Rick working in the winter of 1964 as Chapter 16 opened?
3. What did Rick state as the reason that Mark was sober for the funeral?
4. What overall statement did Rick make about Miami?
5. What became of Sam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the riot like that Rick experienced in Miami and how did it affect him?
2. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
3. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
4. How did Rick view winning the Pulitzer Prize?
5. Who was the Serial Diner, and what did he teach Rick?
6. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
7. What was Margaret's experience traveling to New York City like?
8. What were the details of the stories that Rick told about the bodegas in New York City?
9. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
10. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)