|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What overall statement did Rick make about Miami?
(a) "From beauty to trash, Miami has it all."
(b) "Miami is a bad day in paradise."
(c) "You live and die in Miami."
(d) "Miami is a crazy city."
2. What did Kovach tell Rick to answer the next time someone asks him where he learned how to write?
(a) The South.
3. What happened to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1990?
(a) He was assassinated.
(b) He lost the election by poplular vote.
(c) He went into exile.
(d) He was elected for the second time.
4. What did Rick claim as the highlight of his stay in Tampa?
(a) The hurricanes.
(b) A surfer named Topsy.
(c) A story about a chicken named Mopsy.
(d) A serial killer.
5. What kind of questions did Rick often find himself answering to the students at Harvard?
(a) Questions about the South.
(b) Questions about his stories.
(c) Questions about racism.
(d) Questions about Haiti.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rick never do alone?
2. Why was Rick not involved permanently with a woman?
3. Why didn't Rick take the job he wanted at the St. Petersburg Times?
4. Rosario told Rick that he confronted the armed man in his store for what reason?
5. What happened in 1991 that Rick got to experience that terrified him deeply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
2. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
3. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
4. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
5. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
6. What are some of the stories that Rick experienced in Clearwater?
7. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
8. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
9. Why did momma move out of the new house?
10. At the early age of twenty where was Rick writing and what was he writing about?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)