|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rick compare time lost to?
(a) A bad piece of fruit.
(b) A poor night's sleep.
(c) A lost piece of jewelry.
(d) A quarter in an unlucky slot machine.
2. What did the eighty-seven year old Miss McCarty do with the money she saved over her lifetime?
(a) Gave it to the church to feed the poor.
(b) Gave it to the local university for scholarships for the poor.
(c) Gave it to the Red Cross to help the poor.
(d) Gave it to the local police to protect the poor.
3. What did Rick do at the old little house that momma did not?
(a) He walked it one more time.
(b) He spit on the ground.
(c) He rejoiced that they are gone from it forever.
(d) He cried when she leaves it.
4. What had Mark been doing since his fight with Sam?
(a) Living in the old house.
(b) Drinking more.
(d) Rebuilding his home.
5. Who did Rick direct Chapter 40 to as he talked about momma's new house?
(a) His father.
(d) Charlie, his mother's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rick come to dislike Jimmy Carter?
2. How did everyone treat Margaret at the acceptance dinner for Rick's award?
3. To what does the title "Monsters" refer?
4. What did Rick claim as the highlight of his stay in Tampa?
5. When does Rick NOT want to be buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experiences did Rick have in Miami?
2. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
3. Why did Rick never drink alone?
4. Why did Rick go home in the Spring of 1994, and what did he write about the whole experience?
5. In winter of 1994, where was Rick and what was he writing about?
6. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
7. How did Rick fare at Harvard?
8. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
9. At Thanksgiving in the new house, what did Rick and Sam learn?
10. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)