|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened in the country store when Rick went in to buy drinks while working one summer?
(a) The proprietor accused him of stealing a soda.
(b) Rick was embarrassed because he does not have enough money.
(c) Rick dropped and broke a bottle which he cannot afford.
(d) The proprietor felt sorry for him and gives him a free soda.
2. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
(a) Because they were always getting in trouble.
(b) Because they often stuck up for black people.
(c) Because the police did not like their father.
(d) Because they were poor and lived close by.
3. What did Rick tell his first girlfriend about his family?
(a) A lie: that they are rich.
(c) The truth: that they are poor.
(d) Not much just that they are like everyone else.
4. How long did Rick put off writing his book?
(a) Five years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
5. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
(a) Entertainment news.
(b) Sports news.
(d) Local news.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
2. When did Rick first meet his father?
3. What was Margaret's first real toy?
4. What did the box contain that Rick's father gave to him on his last visit?
5. What is the story of the widow's mite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
2. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
3. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
4. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
5. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
6. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
7. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
8. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
9. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
10. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)