|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war was Rick's father in?
(a) Dessert Strom.
(d) World War II.
2. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
3. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) He finds it appropriate.
(b) He thinks it is wrongly named.
(c) It is too fancy a name for him.
(d) It makes him proud.
4. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
(a) It was terribly windy.
(b) It was always raining.
(c) It was freezing cold.
(d) It was boiling hot.
5. What crime did John Sparks commit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Aunt Gracie tell the children that the chicken was that was cooking?
2. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
3. In general, how did Rick Bragg feel about religion as he always had?
4. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
5. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did home feel to Rick when he went back for Christmas after returning from Haiti?
2. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
3. What was momma's new house like and how did she and everyone else react to it?
4. Who died at home, and when Rick went to the funeral how did he feel?
5. What happened when the American soldiers finally came to Haiti?
6. Why did Rick hate Haiti?
7. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
8. Why did momma move out of the new house?
9. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
10. How did Mark's life affect momma and why?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)