|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(a) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
(b) Dancing in the kitchen.
(c) Making cookies.
2. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
(a) Beating your childen and missing church.
(b) Not to be able to read; not to be able to dance.
(c) Not to be able to read; not to be able to fight.
(d) Fighting and drinking.
3. How old was Charles when he died?
4. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
(a) He ate a bologna sandwich while sitting on a dead donkey.
(b) He bet Uncle Bill's car will start.
(c) He stole one of grandpa's jugs of whiskey without getting caught.
(d) He painted a naked lady on Gracie's car.
5. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
(a) The poor Old South.
(b) Bible country.
(c) The land of poor churches.
(d) The monied South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
2. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
3. Why did Margaret bury Rick's muddy sneakers?
4. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
5. What is the story of the widow's mite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
2. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
3. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
4. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
5. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
6. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
7. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
8. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
9. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
10. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)