Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
(a) He was having a seizure.
(b) He was taking a walk.
(c) He was reading another book.
(d) He was daydreaming.
2. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
(a) Perry Como.
(b) Johnny Cash.
(c) Hank Williams.
(d) Frank Sinatra.
3. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
(a) Oklahoma City.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
(d) Port au Prince.
4. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
(a) A nice house.
(b) A new dress.
(c) New shoes.
5. What school did Rick attend at the age of 33?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
2. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
3. What is the story of the widow's mite?
4. What is the last line of the Prologue?
5. What did Margaret expect Rick's father to do after she poured his whiskey down the drain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts did Rick give his mother after he became a successful journalist, and what gift did he want to give his mother? How did he feel about these gifts?
2. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
3. What comparisons did Rick make between himself and his father? How did he feel about the comparisons?
4. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
7. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
8. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
9. What did Rick find on his second visit to Haiti?
10. What kind of a father did Rick have?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)