|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
(a) No records were kept of dead babies.
(b) The baby never existed.
(c) The baby was never christened.
(d) The hospital did not have papers on the dead baby.
2. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
(a) Blue Jays.
3. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
(a) A new dress.
(b) New shoes.
(c) A nice house.
4. How did Rick view his time in high school?
(a) He learned a lot from it.
(b) He worked too hard at his job to take time for it.
(c) He wasted it.
(d) He worked hard at it.
5. How long did Rick put off writing his book?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
2. What did Aunt Mary Jo take the children out for to eat?
3. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
4. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
5. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
2. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
3. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
4. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
5. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
6. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
7. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
8. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
9. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
10. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)