|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of a man is Rick's bother, Sam?
(a) Hard drinker and fighter.
(b) Hard worker.
2. What did the redbird do that makes Rick question life?
(a) It flew into a glass door.
(b) It threw its baby from the nest.
(c) It hurled itself into a pool.
(d) It attacked its own reflection.
3. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
(a) Make the dead dance with the living.
(b) To bring his family closer together.
(c) Heal his soul.
(d) Get at great truths.
4. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
(a) Because they were poor and lived close by.
(b) Because the police did not like their father.
(c) Because they often stuck up for black people.
(d) Because they were always getting in trouble.
5. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) TV preachers.
(b) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(d) Reading The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
2. What was Margaret's first real toy?
3. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
4. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
5. How old was Charles when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
2. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
3. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
4. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
7. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
8. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
9. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
10. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)