|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) Albert Brewer.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) George Wallace.
2. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
(a) They had fewer children to care for.
(b) They married better.
(c) They moved to better parts of the country.
(d) They became educated.
3. What happened in the country store when Rick went in to buy drinks while working one summer?
(a) Rick was embarrassed because he does not have enough money.
(b) The proprietor felt sorry for him and gives him a free soda.
(c) Rick dropped and broke a bottle which he cannot afford.
(d) The proprietor accused him of stealing a soda.
4. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
(b) He would make him close the door to darkness.
(c) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
(d) He locked him in with a tomcat.
5. What did Rick tell his first girlfriend about his family?
(a) The truth: that they are poor.
(b) A lie: that they are rich.
(d) Not much just that they are like everyone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
2. What work did Rick begin in junior high?
3. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
4. What did Rick find himself wishing for at the funeral home?
5. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
2. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
3. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
4. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
5. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
6. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
7. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
8. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
9. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
10. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)