|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
(a) That he wasn't harder on his father.
(b) That he didn't do better by his daughter.
(c) That he never met him.
(d) That he wasn't there when he shot a woman through her breasts.
2. What did the box contain that Rick's father gave to him on his last visit?
(a) Classical literature.
(b) Dirty books.
(d) Car magazines.
3. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) Albert Brewer.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) George Wallace.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
4. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
(a) Entertainment news.
(b) Sports news.
(c) Local news.
5. Why did Rick love his 1969 convertible so much in high school?
(a) The other guys loved it, so they paid attention to him.
(b) It made him feel equal to the other high school kids.
(c) It allowed him to escape his small town.
(d) It allowed him to get the pretty girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a man is Rick's brother, Mark?
2. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
3. What is the story of the widow's mite?
4. What was Margaret's first real toy?
5. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
2. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
3. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
4. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
5. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
6. How did Rick react to his father's death?
7. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
8. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
9. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
10. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)