|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
(a) No records were kept of dead babies.
(b) The baby never existed.
(c) The hospital did not have papers on the dead baby.
(d) The baby was never christened.
2. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
(b) Blue Jays.
3. What did Rick tell his first girlfriend about his family?
(a) Not much just that they are like everyone else.
(c) A lie: that they are rich.
(d) The truth: that they are poor.
4. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He would make him close the door to darkness.
(b) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
(c) He locked him in with a tomcat.
(d) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
5. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
(a) She ran out into the middle of the road and stared.
(b) She begged Rick's father to leave them be.
(c) She screamed and cried for them not to leave.
(d) She held onto Rick and won't let go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Margaret's first real toy?
2. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
3. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
4. What kind of a man is Rick's brother, Mark?
5. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
2. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
3. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
4. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
5. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
6. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
7. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
8. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
9. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
10. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)