|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
(a) The hospital did not have papers on the dead baby.
(b) The baby never existed.
(c) No records were kept of dead babies.
(d) The baby was never christened.
2. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
(a) He stole one of grandpa's jugs of whiskey without getting caught.
(b) He ate a bologna sandwich while sitting on a dead donkey.
(c) He bet Uncle Bill's car will start.
(d) He painted a naked lady on Gracie's car.
3. What kind of a man is Rick's brother, Mark?
(a) Hard worker.
(b) Family man.
(d) Hard drinker and fighter.
4. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He was hit by a truck.
(b) He fell out of a tree.
(c) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) He fell in through an icy pond.
5. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(c) Bumdrum's live chickens.
(d) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Rick begin in junior high?
2. What is the story of the widow's mite?
3. What did Margaret expect Rick's father to do after she poured his whiskey down the drain?
4. How did Rick view his time in high school?
5. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
2. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
3. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
4. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
5. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
6. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
7. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
8. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
9. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
10. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)