|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Charles kill the assassin in Korea?
(a) He shot him.
(b) He stabbed him.
(c) He strangled him.
(d) He drowned him.
2. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
(a) His own bed.
(b) Cowboy boots.
(c) A red wagon.
(d) A bicycle.
3. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He was hit by a truck.
(b) He fell out of a tree.
(c) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) He fell in through an icy pond.
4. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
(a) She begged Rick's father to leave them be.
(b) She held onto Rick and won't let go.
(c) She screamed and cried for them not to leave.
(d) She ran out into the middle of the road and stared.
5. Who went to Charles's funeral?
(a) Momma and the three boys.
(b) Only momma.
(c) Only Rick.
(d) Only the three boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sickness killed Rick's father?
2. What caused Margaret to lose her job as a cotton picker?
3. In general, how did Rick Bragg feel about religion as he always had?
4. What did Aunt Gracie tell the children that the chicken was that was cooking?
5. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
2. What kind of a man did Sam become, and what did Rick think about him?
3. Why didn't Rick remain married to his young bride?
4. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
5. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
6. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
7. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
8. What was the Susan Smith story that Rick covered?
9. What did Rick experience when he first returned to the South as the Southern Correspondent for the New York Times?
10. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)