|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) He finds it appropriate.
(b) It is too fancy a name for him.
(c) He thinks it is wrongly named.
(d) It makes him proud.
2. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
(a) He fell out of a tree and broke his leg.
(b) He sucked a plastic berry up his nose.
(c) He punched his brother and broke his hand.
(d) He fell into the hole in the outhouse and broke his arm.
3. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
(a) Hank Williams.
(b) Johnny Cash.
(c) Perry Como.
(d) Frank Sinatra.
4. Why did Rick run from the police when he was riding the moped?
(a) He wanted to be able to brag to his brothers.
(b) He thought it is funny to be chased.
(c) He was afraid momma might cry.
(d) He did not want to be arrested.
5. How long did Rick put off writing his book?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Twenty years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
2. What happened to the letters Margaret received from Charles while he was in Korea?
3. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
4. How did Rick view his time in high school?
5. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
2. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
3. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
4. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
7. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
8. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
9. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
10. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)