|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
(a) To fight dirty.
(b) To work hard.
(c) To never take nothin' form nobody.
(d) To get what you want out of life.
2. What happened to the letters Margaret received from Charles while he was in Korea?
(a) He threw them away one night.
(b) They were burned.
(c) She gave them to Rick when he gets older.
(d) She shredded them.
3. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
(a) They are only his perceptions.
(b) They are there to protect people.
(c) They are lies created to entertain.
(d) They are lies to hide truths.
4. What made Rick finally write the book?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) His grandfather's death.
(c) His father's death.
(d) His grandmother's death.
5. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
(a) Cowboy boots.
(b) A red wagon.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) His own bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rick view his time in high school?
2. What crime did John Sparks commit?
3. What did Rick's grandmother die from?
4. Where did Margaret take the children to find "treasure"?
5. What did Rick tell his first girlfriend about his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
2. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
3. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
4. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
5. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
6. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
7. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
8. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
9. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
10. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)