|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(a) Making cookies.
(b) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
(d) Dancing in the kitchen.
2. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
(a) He fell out of a tree and broke his leg.
(b) He sucked a plastic berry up his nose.
(c) He fell into the hole in the outhouse and broke his arm.
(d) He punched his brother and broke his hand.
3. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
(a) They brought Christmas trees to the poor children.
(b) They collected toys for the poor children.
(c) They had a party for the poor children.
(d) They took the poor children to the soup kitchen.
4. What work did Rick begin in junior high?
(a) Moving dirt and clearing land.
(b) Cleaning stalls.
(c) Hauling trash.
(d) Working in Uncle Ed's store.
5. What did the poor black family down the road do for Rick's family?
(a) They invited them over for dinner.
(b) They brought them corn to eat.
(c) They brought them bread to eat.
(d) They invited them to their church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
2. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
3. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
4. How long did Rick have the 1969 convertible?
5. What did Aunt Mary Jo take the children out for to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
2. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
3. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
4. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
5. What kind of a father did Rick have?
6. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
7. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
8. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
9. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
10. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)