|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Rick first meet his father?
(a) When he was fifteen.
(b) When he was ten.
(c) When he was two.
(d) When he was five.
2. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(a) Bumdrum's live chickens.
(b) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
3. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
(a) Running from his problems.
(c) Quick to anger.
(d) Lack of fear.
4. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
(a) The land of poor churches.
(b) Bible country.
(c) The poor Old South.
(d) The monied South.
5. What was "Dinner on the Ground"?
(a) A church picnic.
(b) When the mothers allow the children to eat in front of the TV.
(c) When father throws the food in anger.
(d) A family outing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story of the widow's mite?
2. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
3. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
4. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
5. What happened to the letters Margaret received from Charles while he was in Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
2. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
3. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
4. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
5. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
6. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
7. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
8. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
9. What kind of work did the boys do for their Uncle Ed? What did Rick learn from this work? What did Sam learn from this work?
10. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)