|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Margaret eat when the children were small?
(a) What falls to the floor.
(b) The scraps from their plates.
(c) What is given to her by others.
(d) Only bread.
2. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
(a) The 60s and 70s.
(b) The 20s and 30s.
(c) The 40s and 50s.
(d) The 50s and 60s.
3. What war was Rick's father in?
(a) Dessert Strom.
(d) World War II.
4. What was Rick's first course in college?
(a) Creative Writing.
5. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She lied about his stealing.
(b) She told the police he made likker.
(c) She hit one of his children.
(d) She came at him with a knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Margaret to lose her job as a cotton picker?
2. What is the story of the widow's mite?
3. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
4. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
5. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
2. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
3. What kind of a father did Rick have?
4. What were the times like when Rick grew up? Where was he born? When?
5. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
6. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
7. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
8. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
9. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
10. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)