|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
(a) Talkin' back to her mother.
(b) Takin' the truck out for a short ride in the fields.
(c) Takin' a sip of likker.
(d) Kickin' her sister so hard in bed one night.
2. What does Rick say about this book?
(a) That it is a story meant only for his family.
(b) That it is not important.
(c) That he wrote it for himself.
(d) That everyone should read it.
3. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
(a) That everyone deserves a certain amount of dignity.
(b) That no one should be laughed at.
(c) That poor people should be treated with extra care.
(d) That everyone needs love.
4. What kind of a man is Rick's brother, Mark?
(a) Hard drinker and fighter.
(b) Hard worker.
(d) Family man.
5. Who went to Charles's funeral?
(a) Only momma.
(b) Only Rick.
(c) Momma and the three boys.
(d) Only the three boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
2. What was Rick's first course in college?
3. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
4. How did Charles kill the assassin in Korea?
5. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
2. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
3. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
4. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
5. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
6. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
7. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
8. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
9. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
10. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)