|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
(b) He would make him close the door to darkness.
(c) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
(d) He locked him in with a tomcat.
2. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
(a) The monied South.
(b) The poor Old South.
(c) Bible country.
(d) The land of poor churches.
3. What did Rick's grandmother die from?
(a) Heart failure.
(d) Kidney failure.
4. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
(a) They brought Christmas trees to the poor children.
(b) They collected toys for the poor children.
(c) They took the poor children to the soup kitchen.
(d) They had a party for the poor children.
5. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
(a) To record his mother's sacrifices.
(b) To make his brothers feel better.
(c) To forgive his father.
(d) To make himself feel better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the letters Margaret received from Charles while he was in Korea?
2. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
3. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
4. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
5. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Rick went to visit his father for the last time?
2. What kind of a woman was Rick's grandmother?
3. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
4. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
5. What was the area like and what were the people like where Rick and his parents grew up?
6. How did false pride become an obstacle for Rick as a teenager?
7. What story did Rick tell about his cowboy boots?
8. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
9. When did Rick choose to write this memoir and why?
10. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)