|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) Albert Brewer.
(b) George Wallace.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Richard Nixon.
2. What did Rick find himself wishing for at the funeral home?
(a) Another day with his grandmother.
(b) A way to spend more time with his mother.
3. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
(a) Beating your childen and missing church.
(b) Fighting and drinking.
(c) Not to be able to read; not to be able to fight.
(d) Not to be able to read; not to be able to dance.
4. What did the poor black family down the road do for Rick's family?
(a) They invited them to their church.
(b) They brought them bread to eat.
(c) They brought them corn to eat.
(d) They invited them over for dinner.
5. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He locked him in with a tomcat.
(b) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
(c) He would make him close the door to darkness.
(d) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime did John Sparks commit?
2. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
3. What happened to the letters Margaret received from Charles while he was in Korea?
4. What did Rick see at church that he stated was one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen?
5. What school did Rick attend at the age of 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rick come to realize at the Fraternity Christmas Party, and how did he feel about it?
2. What did Rick experience at the Protestant Church that he attended when he is young?
3. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
4. Why does Rick miss his grandmother's death?
5. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
6. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
7. Why does Rick state more than once that this is not an important book?
8. What was Margaret's family like growing up?
9. How did Rick react to his father's death?
10. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)