|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
(a) It was terribly windy.
(b) It was freezing cold.
(c) It was boiling hot.
(d) It was always raining.
2. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She told the police he made likker.
(b) She lied about his stealing.
(c) She came at him with a knife.
(d) She hit one of his children.
3. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He was hit by a truck.
(b) He fell in through an icy pond.
(c) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) He fell out of a tree.
4. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
5. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
(a) That he wasn't there when he shot a woman through her breasts.
(b) That he didn't do better by his daughter.
(c) That he wasn't harder on his father.
(d) That he never met him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
2. What was Margaret's first real toy?
3. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
4. How would Bobby Bragg fix his hip when it went out on him?
5. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the main reason for Rick writing this memoir?
2. What did the poor black boy bring to Rick's family, and what does Rick think about it now that he is an older man?
3. How did Rick react to his father's death?
4. How poor was Margaret while raising her small children?
5. Why was Rick one of the usual suspects after a crime was committed, and how did he react to the whole situation?
6. What were some of the stories that Rick would tell in the book that he had covered as a reporter?
7. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
8. What male influence did Rick and his brother's have in their lives?
9. How did Rick feel about his high school years as he looked back on them?
10. What kind of a father did Rick have?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)