|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
(a) It was terribly windy.
(b) It was boiling hot.
(c) It was always raining.
(d) It was freezing cold.
2. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She came at him with a knife.
(b) She told the police he made likker.
(c) She lied about his stealing.
(d) She hit one of his children.
3. Why did Rick run from the police when he was riding the moped?
(a) He was afraid momma might cry.
(b) He thought it is funny to be chased.
(c) He did not want to be arrested.
(d) He wanted to be able to brag to his brothers.
4. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
(b) He fell out of a tree.
(c) He fell in through an icy pond.
(d) He was hit by a truck.
5. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
(a) Because they often stuck up for black people.
(b) Because they were always getting in trouble.
(c) Because they were poor and lived close by.
(d) Because the police did not like their father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
2. What kind of a man is Rick's brother, Mark?
3. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
4. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
5. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Margaret find another man to continue her life with as time passed and Charles did not return?
2. How did Rick react to his father's death?
3. Why does Rick say that anyone could write this book? Is that true?
4. What was the Korean War story that Charles told to Rick?
5. Why did the boys feel so out of place in their new home that their father moved them to when Rick was six?
6. What kind of a father did Rick have?
7. What does Rick choose to believe about his father's neglect and abuse of his family?
8. What kind of an extended family does Rick have?
9. What was the relationship like between the brothers?
10. What did the Bragg men talk about on the front porch over whiskey after dinner?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)