|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
(a) They called their grandfather.
(b) They ran and hid.
(c) They ran to the neighbors.
(d) They beat him.
2. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) It is too fancy a name for him.
(b) He thinks it is wrongly named.
(c) He finds it appropriate.
(d) It makes him proud.
3. What did Aunt Mary Jo take the children out for to eat?
(a) Foot long hot dogs.
(c) Fried crappie.
(d) Ice cream sundays.
4. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
(a) That poor people should be treated with extra care.
(b) That no one should be laughed at.
(c) That everyone needs love.
(d) That everyone deserves a certain amount of dignity.
5. What crime did John Sparks commit?
6. What caused Margaret to lose her job as a cotton picker?
(a) She was too slow at it.
(c) Migrant workers.
(d) The government.
7. What is the last line of the Prologue?
(a) "Forgive me Momma."
(b) "God help me, Momma, if I am clumsy."
(c) "I forgive you, Papa."
(d) "Do you hear me, grandma?"
8. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(b) TV preachers.
(c) Reading The Bible.
9. How would Bobby Bragg fix his hip when it went out on him?
(a) He would have his sons pull his leg.
(b) His wife would pull his leg until it popped back in.
(c) He would drink a lot of whiskey.
(d) He would go to the doctor.
10. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) George Wallace.
(d) Albert Brewer.
11. How did Rick view his time in high school?
(a) He worked hard at it.
(b) He learned a lot from it.
(c) He worked too hard at his job to take time for it.
(d) He wasted it.
12. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
(a) Make the dead dance with the living.
(b) Get at great truths.
(c) To bring his family closer together.
(d) Heal his soul.
13. Why did Margaret bury Rick's muddy sneakers?
(a) She believed he may be involved in the Sparks case.
(b) She did not want to clean them.
(c) She thought John Sparks used them.
(d) She wanted to protect him from the police.
14. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
(a) Grandma Ava.
(b) Aunt Gracie Juanita.
(c) Rick's dad.
(d) Grandpa Charlie.
15. What did Rick tell his first girlfriend about his family?
(a) Not much just that they are like everyone else.
(b) A lie: that they are rich.
(c) The truth: that they are poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sam become the school's janitor according to Rick?
2. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
3. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
4. How long did Rick put off writing his book?
5. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)