|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
(a) That he never met him.
(b) That he wasn't there when he shot a woman through her breasts.
(c) That he didn't do better by his daughter.
(d) That he wasn't harder on his father.
2. How long after quitting high school did Margaret get her GED?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Twenty-five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
3. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
(a) That everyone needs love.
(b) That everyone deserves a certain amount of dignity.
(c) That poor people should be treated with extra care.
(d) That no one should be laughed at.
4. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
(a) Quick to anger.
(b) Running from his problems.
(d) Lack of fear.
5. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
(a) Johnny Cash.
(b) Frank Sinatra.
(c) Hank Williams.
(d) Perry Como.
6. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
(a) Fighting and drinking.
(b) Not to be able to read; not to be able to fight.
(c) Not to be able to read; not to be able to dance.
(d) Beating your childen and missing church.
7. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
(a) The 50s and 60s.
(b) The 60s and 70s.
(c) The 20s and 30s.
(d) The 40s and 50s.
8. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
(a) They are there to protect people.
(b) They are only his perceptions.
(c) They are lies created to entertain.
(d) They are lies to hide truths.
9. What sickness killed Rick's father?
10. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They called their grandfather.
(c) They ran and hid.
(d) They ran to the neighbors.
11. When sober, how did Bobby Bragg dress for dinner?
(a) In a full suit.
(b) In overalls.
(c) With a shirt and tie.
(d) In a clean shirt.
12. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She came at him with a knife.
(b) She told the police he made likker.
(c) She lied about his stealing.
(d) She hit one of his children.
13. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
(a) That he will find a good job someday.
(b) That he will leave home and never return.
(c) That he will end up just like his father.
(d) That he will be stuck working hard for no money.
14. When did Rick first meet his father?
(a) When he was five.
(b) When he was ten.
(c) When he was fifteen.
(d) When he was two.
15. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(a) Dancing in the kitchen.
(b) Making cookies.
(c) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school did Rick attend at the age of 33?
2. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
3. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
4. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
5. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)