|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Margaret to lose her job as a cotton picker?
(b) She was too slow at it.
(c) The government.
(d) Migrant workers.
2. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
(a) They married better.
(b) They had fewer children to care for.
(c) They moved to better parts of the country.
(d) They became educated.
3. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
(a) To bring his family closer together.
(b) Heal his soul.
(c) Make the dead dance with the living.
(d) Get at great truths.
4. What is the story of the widow's mite?
(a) A woman who is infested with bugs.
(b) A poor woman who gave to the temple and God recognized the gift.
(c) A widowed woman who takes in poor children.
(d) A woman who shuns the church because her husband dies.
5. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
(a) Because they were always getting in trouble.
(b) Because they often stuck up for black people.
(c) Because they were poor and lived close by.
(d) Because the police did not like their father.
6. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
(a) Perry Como.
(b) Hank Williams.
(c) Frank Sinatra.
(d) Johnny Cash.
7. What kind of a man is Rick's bother, Sam?
(a) Hard drinker and fighter.
(b) Hard worker.
8. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He would make him close the door to darkness.
(b) He locked him in with a tomcat.
(c) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
(d) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
9. What did Aunt Gracie tell the children that the chicken was that was cooking?
10. What did Margaret eat when the children were small?
(a) The scraps from their plates.
(b) Only bread.
(c) What falls to the floor.
(d) What is given to her by others.
11. How old was Charles when he died?
12. How did Rick view his time in high school?
(a) He worked too hard at his job to take time for it.
(b) He learned a lot from it.
(c) He wasted it.
(d) He worked hard at it.
13. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He fell out of a tree.
(b) He was hit by a truck.
(c) He fell in through an icy pond.
(d) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
14. What work did Rick begin in junior high?
(a) Cleaning stalls.
(b) Working in Uncle Ed's store.
(c) Moving dirt and clearing land.
(d) Hauling trash.
15. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) TV preachers.
(c) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(d) Reading The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
2. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
3. In general, how did Rick Bragg feel about religion as he always had?
4. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
5. How long did Rick have the 1969 convertible?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)