|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work did Rick begin in junior high?
(a) Moving dirt and clearing land.
(b) Cleaning stalls.
(c) Working in Uncle Ed's store.
(d) Hauling trash.
2. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
(b) Running from his problems.
(c) Lack of fear.
(d) Quick to anger.
3. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(b) Reading The Bible.
(c) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(d) TV preachers.
4. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
(a) That he didn't do better by his daughter.
(b) That he never met him.
(c) That he wasn't there when he shot a woman through her breasts.
(d) That he wasn't harder on his father.
5. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
(a) The 20s and 30s.
(b) The 60s and 70s.
(c) The 50s and 60s.
(d) The 40s and 50s.
6. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
7. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
(a) He bet Uncle Bill's car will start.
(b) He stole one of grandpa's jugs of whiskey without getting caught.
(c) He painted a naked lady on Gracie's car.
(d) He ate a bologna sandwich while sitting on a dead donkey.
8. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
(a) Make the dead dance with the living.
(b) Heal his soul.
(c) To bring his family closer together.
(d) Get at great truths.
9. Why did Margaret bury Rick's muddy sneakers?
(a) She did not want to clean them.
(b) She wanted to protect him from the police.
(c) She thought John Sparks used them.
(d) She believed he may be involved in the Sparks case.
10. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
(a) Big but decrepit.
(b) A mansion.
(c) Small, but in good shape.
(d) Just big enough for all of them.
11. What did Charlie tell Margaret about going back to her husband when she came home for the second time?
(a) If she went back, Charlie would kill him.
(b) She should never go back.
(c) She must be obedient to her husband.
(d) She could go back, but not with her son.
12. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
(a) They are lies to hide truths.
(b) They are there to protect people.
(c) They are lies created to entertain.
(d) They are only his perceptions.
13. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
(a) Grandpa Charlie.
(b) Aunt Gracie Juanita.
(c) Rick's dad.
(d) Grandma Ava.
14. What is the last line of the Prologue?
(a) "Do you hear me, grandma?"
(b) "Forgive me Momma."
(c) "I forgive you, Papa."
(d) "God help me, Momma, if I am clumsy."
15. What was "Dinner on the Ground"?
(a) When the mothers allow the children to eat in front of the TV.
(b) When father throws the food in anger.
(c) A church picnic.
(d) A family outing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Rick put off writing his book?
2. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
3. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
4. What was Rick's first course in college?
5. What sickness killed Rick's father?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)