|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the poor black family down the road do for Rick's family?
(a) They invited them over for dinner.
(b) They brought them corn to eat.
(c) They invited them to their church.
(d) They brought them bread to eat.
2. When sober, how did Bobby Bragg dress for dinner?
(a) In a full suit.
(b) In overalls.
(c) With a shirt and tie.
(d) In a clean shirt.
3. What crime did John Sparks commit?
4. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(b) Bumdrum's live chickens.
(c) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
5. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
(a) The 50s and 60s.
(b) The 40s and 50s.
(c) The 60s and 70s.
(d) The 20s and 30s.
6. How long did Rick put off writing his book?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Fifteen years.
7. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
(a) Quick to anger.
(c) Running from his problems.
(d) Lack of fear.
8. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
(a) To forgive his father.
(b) To make his brothers feel better.
(c) To record his mother's sacrifices.
(d) To make himself feel better.
9. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
(a) Perry Como.
(b) Hank Williams.
(c) Johnny Cash.
(d) Frank Sinatra.
10. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
(a) He was taking a walk.
(b) He was daydreaming.
(c) He was reading another book.
(d) He was having a seizure.
11. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
(a) The hospital did not have papers on the dead baby.
(b) No records were kept of dead babies.
(c) The baby was never christened.
(d) The baby never existed.
12. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
(a) Aunt Gracie Juanita.
(b) Grandpa Charlie.
(c) Rick's dad.
(d) Grandma Ava.
13. What was Rick's first course in college?
(b) Creative Writing.
14. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
15. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
(a) His own bed.
(b) A red wagon.
(c) Cowboy boots.
(d) A bicycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
2. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
3. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
4. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
5. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)