|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
(a) Not to be able to read; not to be able to fight.
(b) Fighting and drinking.
(c) Not to be able to read; not to be able to dance.
(d) Beating your childen and missing church.
2. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) It is too fancy a name for him.
(b) He thinks it is wrongly named.
(c) He finds it appropriate.
(d) It makes him proud.
3. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She hit one of his children.
(b) She came at him with a knife.
(c) She lied about his stealing.
(d) She told the police he made likker.
4. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
(a) That he will leave home and never return.
(b) That he will be stuck working hard for no money.
(c) That he will find a good job someday.
(d) That he will end up just like his father.
5. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) George Wallace.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Albert Brewer.
(d) Richard Nixon.
6. What is the story of the widow's mite?
(a) A widowed woman who takes in poor children.
(b) A woman who is infested with bugs.
(c) A woman who shuns the church because her husband dies.
(d) A poor woman who gave to the temple and God recognized the gift.
7. Why did Rick run from the police when he was riding the moped?
(a) He wanted to be able to brag to his brothers.
(b) He did not want to be arrested.
(c) He was afraid momma might cry.
(d) He thought it is funny to be chased.
8. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
(a) They called their grandfather.
(b) They beat him.
(c) They ran to the neighbors.
(d) They ran and hid.
9. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(a) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
(b) Bumdrum's live chickens.
10. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
(a) Oklahoma City.
(c) Port au Prince.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
11. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
(a) They became educated.
(b) They moved to better parts of the country.
(c) They married better.
(d) They had fewer children to care for.
12. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
(a) He had no problem with the notion.
(b) He did not think about it one way or another.
(c) He thought it was a party.
(d) He was afraid to go.
13. Who went to Charles's funeral?
(a) Only the three boys.
(b) Only Rick.
(c) Momma and the three boys.
(d) Only momma.
14. How would Bobby Bragg fix his hip when it went out on him?
(a) He would have his sons pull his leg.
(b) He would go to the doctor.
(c) He would drink a lot of whiskey.
(d) His wife would pull his leg until it popped back in.
15. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(b) TV preachers.
(c) Reading The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Rick first meet his father?
2. What school did Rick attend at the age of 33?
3. What did Rick's grandmother die from?
4. What did Aunt Mary Jo take the children out for to eat?
5. What did the redbird do that makes Rick question life?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)