|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who went to Charles's funeral?
(a) Only the three boys.
(b) Only Rick.
(c) Momma and the three boys.
(d) Only momma.
2. What city's bombing did Rick mention that he writes about?
(b) Port au Prince.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
(d) Oklahoma City.
3. How did Rick view his time in high school?
(a) He wasted it.
(b) He worked hard at it.
(c) He worked too hard at his job to take time for it.
(d) He learned a lot from it.
4. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
5. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He fell in through an icy pond.
(b) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
(c) He was hit by a truck.
(d) He fell out of a tree.
6. What was Margaret's first real toy?
(a) A wooden turtle on a string.
(b) A stuffed bear.
(c) A red wagon.
(d) A doll.
7. What work did Rick begin in junior high?
(a) Hauling trash.
(b) Working in Uncle Ed's store.
(c) Moving dirt and clearing land.
(d) Cleaning stalls.
8. What did Rick find himself wishing for at the funeral home?
(a) Another day with his grandmother.
(d) A way to spend more time with his mother.
9. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) It makes him proud.
(b) He finds it appropriate.
(c) It is too fancy a name for him.
(d) He thinks it is wrongly named.
10. What did Rick tell his first girlfriend about his family?
(b) The truth: that they are poor.
(c) A lie: that they are rich.
(d) Not much just that they are like everyone else.
11. When did the boys stop fighting with each other?
(a) When momma cries.
(b) When momma yells.
(c) When one of them gets hurt.
(d) When momma hits them with a hickory branch.
12. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
(a) It was boiling hot.
(b) It was always raining.
(c) It was freezing cold.
(d) It was terribly windy.
13. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
(a) The poor Old South.
(b) Bible country.
(c) The land of poor churches.
(d) The monied South.
14. How long did Rick have the 1969 convertible?
(a) His whole life.
(b) All of high school.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
15. In general, how did Rick Bragg feel about religion as he always had?
(a) He never found the joy of it as he had seen others have.
(b) He believes it is detrimental.
(c) He is apathetic about it.
(d) He is fervent about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
2. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
3. Why did Sam become the school's janitor according to Rick?
4. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
5. What caused Margaret to lose her job as a cotton picker?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)