|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the box contain that Rick's father gave to him on his last visit?
(b) Dirty books.
(c) Classical literature.
(d) Car magazines.
2. What did Rick find himself wishing for at the funeral home?
(b) A way to spend more time with his mother.
(d) Another day with his grandmother.
3. When did the boys stop fighting with each other?
(a) When one of them gets hurt.
(b) When momma cries.
(c) When momma yells.
(d) When momma hits them with a hickory branch.
4. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(b) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
(c) Dancing in the kitchen.
(d) Making cookies.
5. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
(a) They are lies created to entertain.
(b) They are lies to hide truths.
(c) They are only his perceptions.
(d) They are there to protect people.
6. What kind of a man is Rick's bother, Sam?
(a) Hard drinker and fighter.
(b) Hard worker.
7. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
(a) A nice house.
(b) New shoes.
(c) A new dress.
8. What did Rick see at church that he stated was one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen?
(a) A child singing a hymn.
(b) A healing.
(c) A baptism.
(d) A soul being saved.
9. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(a) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
(d) Bumdrum's live chickens.
10. What did Aunt Gracie tell the children that the chicken was that was cooking?
11. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
(a) Takin' a sip of likker.
(b) Takin' the truck out for a short ride in the fields.
(c) Kickin' her sister so hard in bed one night.
(d) Talkin' back to her mother.
12. What kind of a man is Rick's brother, Mark?
(a) Hard worker.
(c) Hard drinker and fighter.
(d) Family man.
13. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
(a) To work hard.
(b) To fight dirty.
(c) To get what you want out of life.
(d) To never take nothin' form nobody.
14. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
(a) He fell out of a tree and broke his leg.
(b) He fell into the hole in the outhouse and broke his arm.
(c) He punched his brother and broke his hand.
(d) He sucked a plastic berry up his nose.
15. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
(a) The hospital did not have papers on the dead baby.
(b) The baby was never christened.
(c) The baby never existed.
(d) No records were kept of dead babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war was Rick's father in?
2. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
3. What did Margaret expect Rick's father to do after she poured his whiskey down the drain?
4. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
5. What was Margaret's first real toy?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)