|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last line of the Prologue?
(a) "Forgive me Momma."
(b) "God help me, Momma, if I am clumsy."
(c) "Do you hear me, grandma?"
(d) "I forgive you, Papa."
2. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
(a) They are only his perceptions.
(b) They are lies to hide truths.
(c) They are lies created to entertain.
(d) They are there to protect people.
3. What did the poor black family down the road do for Rick's family?
(a) They brought them corn to eat.
(b) They invited them over for dinner.
(c) They invited them to their church.
(d) They brought them bread to eat.
4. How did Rick view his time in high school?
(a) He learned a lot from it.
(b) He wasted it.
(c) He worked hard at it.
(d) He worked too hard at his job to take time for it.
5. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
(a) To never take nothin' form nobody.
(b) To work hard.
(c) To get what you want out of life.
(d) To fight dirty.
6. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
(a) Talkin' back to her mother.
(b) Kickin' her sister so hard in bed one night.
(c) Takin' a sip of likker.
(d) Takin' the truck out for a short ride in the fields.
7. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(b) Making cookies.
(c) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
(d) Dancing in the kitchen.
8. When did the boys stop fighting with each other?
(a) When momma cries.
(b) When momma hits them with a hickory branch.
(c) When one of them gets hurt.
(d) When momma yells.
9. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
(a) The scenery.
(b) The religion.
(c) The music.
(d) The clothing.
10. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
(a) A nice house.
(b) New shoes.
(c) A new dress.
11. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
(d) Blue Jays.
12. What crime did John Sparks commit?
13. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) It makes him proud.
(b) He finds it appropriate.
(c) It is too fancy a name for him.
(d) He thinks it is wrongly named.
14. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
(a) He had no problem with the notion.
(b) He thought it was a party.
(c) He was afraid to go.
(d) He did not think about it one way or another.
15. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
(a) His own bed.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A red wagon.
(d) Cowboy boots.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
2. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
3. What was Rick's first course in college?
4. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
5. In general, how did Rick Bragg feel about religion as he always had?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)