|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
(a) That everyone deserves a certain amount of dignity.
(b) That everyone needs love.
(c) That no one should be laughed at.
(d) That poor people should be treated with extra care.
2. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
(a) It was always raining.
(b) It was boiling hot.
(c) It was terribly windy.
(d) It was freezing cold.
3. Why did Rick love his 1969 convertible so much in high school?
(a) The other guys loved it, so they paid attention to him.
(b) It allowed him to escape his small town.
(c) It made him feel equal to the other high school kids.
(d) It allowed him to get the pretty girls.
4. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
(a) That he will leave home and never return.
(b) That he will be stuck working hard for no money.
(c) That he will find a good job someday.
(d) That he will end up just like his father.
5. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(a) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
(b) Making cookies.
(d) Dancing in the kitchen.
6. When sober, how did Bobby Bragg dress for dinner?
(a) In a clean shirt.
(b) With a shirt and tie.
(c) In overalls.
(d) In a full suit.
7. How would Bobby Bragg fix his hip when it went out on him?
(a) He would have his sons pull his leg.
(b) He would drink a lot of whiskey.
(c) His wife would pull his leg until it popped back in.
(d) He would go to the doctor.
8. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
(a) He was taking a walk.
(b) He was having a seizure.
(c) He was daydreaming.
(d) He was reading another book.
9. What kind of a man is Rick's brother, Mark?
(a) Hard worker.
(c) Hard drinker and fighter.
(d) Family man.
10. What did Margaret eat when the children were small?
(a) Only bread.
(b) The scraps from their plates.
(c) What is given to her by others.
(d) What falls to the floor.
11. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(b) Reading The Bible.
(c) TV preachers.
12. What did Aunt Mary Jo take the children out for to eat?
(a) Ice cream sundays.
(b) Fried crappie.
(c) Foot long hot dogs.
13. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
(a) They moved to better parts of the country.
(b) They had fewer children to care for.
(c) They became educated.
(d) They married better.
14. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
15. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
(a) Just big enough for all of them.
(b) Small, but in good shape.
(c) Big but decrepit.
(d) A mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
2. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
3. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
4. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
5. Where did Margaret take the children to find "treasure"?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)