|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last line of the Prologue?
(a) "Forgive me Momma."
(b) "God help me, Momma, if I am clumsy."
(c) "Do you hear me, grandma?"
(d) "I forgive you, Papa."
2. What kind of a man is Rick's bother, Sam?
(b) Hard worker.
(d) Hard drinker and fighter.
3. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
(a) A nice house.
(b) A new dress.
(d) New shoes.
4. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
(a) That he never met him.
(b) That he wasn't harder on his father.
(c) That he wasn't there when he shot a woman through her breasts.
(d) That he didn't do better by his daughter.
5. What was "Dinner on the Ground"?
(a) When the mothers allow the children to eat in front of the TV.
(b) A family outing.
(c) A church picnic.
(d) When father throws the food in anger.
6. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
(a) He was daydreaming.
(b) He was reading another book.
(c) He was taking a walk.
(d) He was having a seizure.
7. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
(a) Grandpa Charlie.
(b) Grandma Ava.
(c) Rick's dad.
(d) Aunt Gracie Juanita.
8. What made Rick finally write the book?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) His grandmother's death.
(c) His father's death.
(d) His grandfather's death.
9. What did Rick see at church that he stated was one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen?
(a) A healing.
(b) A baptism.
(c) A child singing a hymn.
(d) A soul being saved.
10. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) Albert Brewer.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) George Wallace.
11. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
(a) That no one should be laughed at.
(b) That everyone deserves a certain amount of dignity.
(c) That poor people should be treated with extra care.
(d) That everyone needs love.
12. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
(a) To bring his family closer together.
(b) Make the dead dance with the living.
(c) Heal his soul.
(d) Get at great truths.
13. Why did Rick love his 1969 convertible so much in high school?
(a) It allowed him to escape his small town.
(b) The other guys loved it, so they paid attention to him.
(c) It made him feel equal to the other high school kids.
(d) It allowed him to get the pretty girls.
14. What is the story of the widow's mite?
(a) A woman who is infested with bugs.
(b) A poor woman who gave to the temple and God recognized the gift.
(c) A woman who shuns the church because her husband dies.
(d) A widowed woman who takes in poor children.
15. What was Margaret's first real toy?
(a) A wooden turtle on a string.
(b) A red wagon.
(c) A stuffed bear.
(d) A doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Rick have the 1969 convertible?
2. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
3. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
4. How long after quitting high school did Margaret get her GED?
5. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)