|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
(a) They brought Christmas trees to the poor children.
(b) They collected toys for the poor children.
(c) They had a party for the poor children.
(d) They took the poor children to the soup kitchen.
2. What did the redbird do that makes Rick question life?
(a) It threw its baby from the nest.
(b) It hurled itself into a pool.
(c) It attacked its own reflection.
(d) It flew into a glass door.
3. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
(a) Local news.
(b) Entertainment news.
(d) Sports news.
4. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
(a) They are lies created to entertain.
(b) They are only his perceptions.
(c) They are there to protect people.
(d) They are lies to hide truths.
5. What crime did John Sparks commit?
6. What did Margaret mean when she told Sam and Mark that Rick is "travelin'"?
(a) He was taking a walk.
(b) He was reading another book.
(c) He was having a seizure.
(d) He was daydreaming.
7. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) It is too fancy a name for him.
(b) It makes him proud.
(c) He finds it appropriate.
(d) He thinks it is wrongly named.
8. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
9. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
(a) He ate a bologna sandwich while sitting on a dead donkey.
(b) He painted a naked lady on Gracie's car.
(c) He bet Uncle Bill's car will start.
(d) He stole one of grandpa's jugs of whiskey without getting caught.
10. How long after quitting high school did Margaret get her GED?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Twenty-five years.
(d) Twenty years.
11. What war was Rick's father in?
(b) World War II.
(d) Dessert Strom.
12. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
13. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
(a) Because they often stuck up for black people.
(b) Because they were always getting in trouble.
(c) Because the police did not like their father.
(d) Because they were poor and lived close by.
14. What did Rick see at church that he stated was one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen?
(a) A child singing a hymn.
(b) A healing.
(c) A baptism.
(d) A soul being saved.
15. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(a) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
(c) Making cookies.
(d) Dancing in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
2. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
3. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
4. How did Charles kill the assassin in Korea?
5. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)