|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
(a) To work hard.
(b) To get what you want out of life.
(c) To never take nothin' form nobody.
(d) To fight dirty.
2. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
(a) He bet Uncle Bill's car will start.
(b) He painted a naked lady on Gracie's car.
(c) He ate a bologna sandwich while sitting on a dead donkey.
(d) He stole one of grandpa's jugs of whiskey without getting caught.
3. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
4. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He fell out of a tree.
(b) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
(c) He was hit by a truck.
(d) He fell in through an icy pond.
5. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
(b) He locked him in with a tomcat.
(c) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
(d) He would make him close the door to darkness.
6. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
(a) They are lies to hide truths.
(b) They are there to protect people.
(c) They are lies created to entertain.
(d) They are only his perceptions.
7. What happened in the country store when Rick went in to buy drinks while working one summer?
(a) Rick was embarrassed because he does not have enough money.
(b) The proprietor accused him of stealing a soda.
(c) Rick dropped and broke a bottle which he cannot afford.
(d) The proprietor felt sorry for him and gives him a free soda.
8. How long did Rick have the 1969 convertible?
(a) Six months.
(b) His whole life.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) All of high school.
9. What does Rick say about this book?
(a) That it is a story meant only for his family.
(b) That it is not important.
(c) That everyone should read it.
(d) That he wrote it for himself.
10. Why did Sam become the school's janitor according to Rick?
(a) Because he never learned to read.
(b) Because he was not smart enough to do anything else.
(c) Because they never taught him that he had other opportunities.
(d) Because he never wanted to be anything else.
11. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
(a) "Whatever you think best, son."
(b) "Write it; I sat quiet for fifty years."
(c) "Tell the truth in it, son."
(d) " Why would you want to tell our story?"
12. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
(a) That poor people should be treated with extra care.
(b) That no one should be laughed at.
(c) That everyone deserves a certain amount of dignity.
(d) That everyone needs love.
13. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She lied about his stealing.
(b) She hit one of his children.
(c) She told the police he made likker.
(d) She came at him with a knife.
14. What did Rick see at church that he stated was one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen?
(a) A child singing a hymn.
(b) A soul being saved.
(c) A healing.
(d) A baptism.
15. Why did Rick love his 1969 convertible so much in high school?
(a) The other guys loved it, so they paid attention to him.
(b) It made him feel equal to the other high school kids.
(c) It allowed him to escape his small town.
(d) It allowed him to get the pretty girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the poor black family down the road do for Rick's family?
2. What did Margaret eat when the children were small?
3. What did momma lecture Rick about on the rare occasions that she lectured?
4. What made Rick finally write the book?
5. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)