|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
(a) The scenery.
(b) The religion.
(c) The clothing.
(d) The music.
2. How long did Rick have the 1969 convertible?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) His whole life.
(c) Six months.
(d) All of high school.
3. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
(a) Not to be able to read; not to be able to fight.
(b) Beating your childen and missing church.
(c) Fighting and drinking.
(d) Not to be able to read; not to be able to dance.
4. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He would make him close the door to darkness.
(b) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
(c) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
(d) He locked him in with a tomcat.
5. How did Rick view his time in high school?
(a) He worked hard at it.
(b) He learned a lot from it.
(c) He worked too hard at his job to take time for it.
(d) He wasted it.
6. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(a) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
(d) Bumdrum's live chickens.
7. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
(a) Because the police did not like their father.
(b) Because they often stuck up for black people.
(c) Because they were always getting in trouble.
(d) Because they were poor and lived close by.
8. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
(a) They brought Christmas trees to the poor children.
(b) They had a party for the poor children.
(c) They collected toys for the poor children.
(d) They took the poor children to the soup kitchen.
9. How would Bobby Bragg fix his hip when it went out on him?
(a) He would have his sons pull his leg.
(b) He would drink a lot of whiskey.
(c) He would go to the doctor.
(d) His wife would pull his leg until it popped back in.
10. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
(a) Local news.
(b) Entertainment news.
(d) Sports news.
11. What was Margaret's first real toy?
(a) A doll.
(b) A stuffed bear.
(c) A wooden turtle on a string.
(d) A red wagon.
12. What did Aunt Gracie tell the children that the chicken was that was cooking?
13. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He was hit by a truck.
(b) He fell out of a tree.
(c) He fell in through an icy pond.
(d) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
14. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
(a) He punched his brother and broke his hand.
(b) He fell out of a tree and broke his leg.
(c) He sucked a plastic berry up his nose.
(d) He fell into the hole in the outhouse and broke his arm.
15. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
(a) To fight dirty.
(b) To get what you want out of life.
(c) To never take nothin' form nobody.
(d) To work hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick say about this book?
2. What did Margaret eat when the children were small?
3. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
4. What war was Rick's father in?
5. When did Rick first meet his father?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)