|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
(a) That he will find a good job someday.
(b) That he will end up just like his father.
(c) That he will be stuck working hard for no money.
(d) That he will leave home and never return.
2. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
(a) To bring his family closer together.
(b) Get at great truths.
(c) Heal his soul.
(d) Make the dead dance with the living.
3. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
(a) A new dress.
(b) New shoes.
(c) A nice house.
4. What does Rick say about this book?
(a) That everyone should read it.
(b) That he wrote it for himself.
(c) That it is not important.
(d) That it is a story meant only for his family.
5. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
(a) They called their grandfather.
(b) They ran to the neighbors.
(c) They ran and hid.
(d) They beat him.
6. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
(a) Frank Sinatra.
(b) Hank Williams.
(c) Perry Como.
(d) Johnny Cash.
7. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
8. What did Rick tell his first girlfriend about his family?
(a) A lie: that they are rich.
(b) Not much just that they are like everyone else.
(c) The truth: that they are poor.
9. What did Rick's grandmother die from?
(a) Heart failure.
(c) Kidney failure.
10. What did Charlie tell Margaret about going back to her husband when she came home for the second time?
(a) She must be obedient to her husband.
(b) If she went back, Charlie would kill him.
(c) She could go back, but not with her son.
(d) She should never go back.
11. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
(a) Takin' a sip of likker.
(b) Talkin' back to her mother.
(c) Takin' the truck out for a short ride in the fields.
(d) Kickin' her sister so hard in bed one night.
12. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) He thinks it is wrongly named.
(b) It is too fancy a name for him.
(c) It makes him proud.
(d) He finds it appropriate.
13. What did Rick see at church that he stated was one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen?
(a) A soul being saved.
(b) A baptism.
(c) A healing.
(d) A child singing a hymn.
14. What did Margaret eat when the children were small?
(a) The scraps from their plates.
(b) Only bread.
(c) What is given to her by others.
(d) What falls to the floor.
15. What sickness killed Rick's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
2. What did the box contain that Rick's father gave to him on his last visit?
3. What work did Rick begin in junior high?
4. How did Rick view his time in high school?
5. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)