|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sickness killed Rick's father?
2. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Albert Brewer.
(c) George Wallace.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
3. Why did Rick run from the police when he was riding the moped?
(a) He thought it is funny to be chased.
(b) He did not want to be arrested.
(c) He wanted to be able to brag to his brothers.
(d) He was afraid momma might cry.
4. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
(a) They are there to protect people.
(b) They are only his perceptions.
(c) They are lies created to entertain.
(d) They are lies to hide truths.
5. What is the story of the widow's mite?
(a) A woman who is infested with bugs.
(b) A poor woman who gave to the temple and God recognized the gift.
(c) A widowed woman who takes in poor children.
(d) A woman who shuns the church because her husband dies.
6. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He would make him close the door to darkness.
(b) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
(c) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
(d) He locked him in with a tomcat.
7. How would Bobby Bragg fix his hip when it went out on him?
(a) He would have his sons pull his leg.
(b) His wife would pull his leg until it popped back in.
(c) He would drink a lot of whiskey.
(d) He would go to the doctor.
8. Why were Margaret's sisters better off in life than she was?
(a) They had fewer children to care for.
(b) They moved to better parts of the country.
(c) They became educated.
(d) They married better.
9. What crime did John Sparks commit?
10. How old was Charles when he died?
11. What kind of a man is Rick's bother, Sam?
(a) Hard drinker and fighter.
(b) Hard worker.
12. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
(a) That poor people should be treated with extra care.
(b) That everyone deserves a certain amount of dignity.
(c) That everyone needs love.
(d) That no one should be laughed at.
13. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
(a) "Whatever you think best, son."
(b) "Tell the truth in it, son."
(c) " Why would you want to tell our story?"
(d) "Write it; I sat quiet for fifty years."
14. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
(a) The scenery.
(b) The religion.
(c) The clothing.
(d) The music.
15. What did Rick's grandmother die from?
(a) Kidney failure.
(d) Heart failure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick say about this book?
2. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
3. What did Rick tell his first girlfriend about his family?
4. What did Charlie tell Margaret about going back to her husband when she came home for the second time?
5. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)