|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the box contain that Rick's father gave to him on his last visit?
(a) Classical literature.
(b) Dirty books.
(d) Car magazines.
2. How long after quitting high school did Margaret get her GED?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Twenty-five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
3. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
(a) Quick to anger.
(b) Lack of fear.
(c) Running from his problems.
4. Why did Margaret bury Rick's muddy sneakers?
(a) She believed he may be involved in the Sparks case.
(b) She wanted to protect him from the police.
(c) She thought John Sparks used them.
(d) She did not want to clean them.
5. What caused Margaret to lose her job as a cotton picker?
(a) Migrant workers.
(b) She was too slow at it.
(c) The government.
6. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
(a) He ate a bologna sandwich while sitting on a dead donkey.
(b) He stole one of grandpa's jugs of whiskey without getting caught.
(c) He bet Uncle Bill's car will start.
(d) He painted a naked lady on Gracie's car.
7. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(a) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
(b) Bumdrum's live chickens.
8. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
(a) Kickin' her sister so hard in bed one night.
(b) Takin' the truck out for a short ride in the fields.
(c) Talkin' back to her mother.
(d) Takin' a sip of likker.
9. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He fell in through an icy pond.
(b) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
(c) He was hit by a truck.
(d) He fell out of a tree.
10. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She told the police he made likker.
(b) She hit one of his children.
(c) She lied about his stealing.
(d) She came at him with a knife.
11. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) TV preachers.
(b) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(c) Reading The Bible.
12. What happened in the country store when Rick went in to buy drinks while working one summer?
(a) The proprietor accused him of stealing a soda.
(b) Rick dropped and broke a bottle which he cannot afford.
(c) The proprietor felt sorry for him and gives him a free soda.
(d) Rick was embarrassed because he does not have enough money.
13. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(a) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
(b) Dancing in the kitchen.
(c) Making cookies.
14. What was Margaret's first real toy?
(a) A red wagon.
(b) A stuffed bear.
(c) A doll.
(d) A wooden turtle on a string.
15. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
(a) The religion.
(b) The clothing.
(c) The music.
(d) The scenery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Margaret take the children to find "treasure"?
2. What did Charlie tell Margaret about going back to her husband when she came home for the second time?
3. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
4. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
5. How old was Charles when he died?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)