|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) It is too fancy a name for him.
(b) He thinks it is wrongly named.
(c) He finds it appropriate.
(d) It makes him proud.
2. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
(a) He punched his brother and broke his hand.
(b) He fell out of a tree and broke his leg.
(c) He fell into the hole in the outhouse and broke his arm.
(d) He sucked a plastic berry up his nose.
3. In what era did Rick's parents grow up?
(a) The 50s and 60s.
(b) The 40s and 50s.
(c) The 20s and 30s.
(d) The 60s and 70s.
4. What is the last line of the Prologue?
(a) "Forgive me Momma."
(b) "God help me, Momma, if I am clumsy."
(c) "I forgive you, Papa."
(d) "Do you hear me, grandma?"
5. How did Charles kill the assassin in Korea?
(a) He stabbed him.
(b) He strangled him.
(c) He drowned him.
(d) He shot him.
6. What did Rick find himself wishing for at the funeral home?
(a) A way to spend more time with his mother.
(d) Another day with his grandmother.
7. What does Rick hope his story will accomplish?
(a) To bring his family closer together.
(b) Make the dead dance with the living.
(c) Get at great truths.
(d) Heal his soul.
8. Why did Rick love his 1969 convertible so much in high school?
(a) It allowed him to get the pretty girls.
(b) It made him feel equal to the other high school kids.
(c) The other guys loved it, so they paid attention to him.
(d) It allowed him to escape his small town.
9. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
(a) " Why would you want to tell our story?"
(b) "Write it; I sat quiet for fifty years."
(c) "Whatever you think best, son."
(d) "Tell the truth in it, son."
10. When did Rick first meet his father?
(a) When he was five.
(b) When he was two.
(c) When he was fifteen.
(d) When he was ten.
11. What gift did Rick receive in 2nd grade that had such a large impact on him?
(a) Cowboy boots.
(b) His own bed.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A red wagon.
12. What was the name of Rick's first reading group at school?
(b) Blue Jays.
13. What was the reason that Charles whipped his daughter Margaret at the age of thirteen?
(a) Takin' a sip of likker.
(b) Takin' the truck out for a short ride in the fields.
(c) Talkin' back to her mother.
(d) Kickin' her sister so hard in bed one night.
14. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(b) Bumdrum's live chickens.
(d) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
15. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
(a) The scenery.
(b) The music.
(c) The clothing.
(d) The religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rick describe the area in which his parents were born and raised?
2. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
3. What did Margaret expect Rick's father to do after she poured his whiskey down the drain?
4. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
5. What war was Rick's father in?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)