|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
(a) Because they often stuck up for black people.
(b) Because the police did not like their father.
(c) Because they were poor and lived close by.
(d) Because they were always getting in trouble.
2. Why did Margaret bury Rick's muddy sneakers?
(a) She thought John Sparks used them.
(b) She did not want to clean them.
(c) She believed he may be involved in the Sparks case.
(d) She wanted to protect him from the police.
3. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) George Wallace.
(d) Albert Brewer.
4. What work did Rick begin in junior high?
(a) Cleaning stalls.
(b) Moving dirt and clearing land.
(c) Working in Uncle Ed's store.
(d) Hauling trash.
5. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
(a) He fell out of a tree and broke his leg.
(b) He fell into the hole in the outhouse and broke his arm.
(c) He sucked a plastic berry up his nose.
(d) He punched his brother and broke his hand.
6. What was "Dinner on the Ground"?
(a) A family outing.
(b) When father throws the food in anger.
(c) When the mothers allow the children to eat in front of the TV.
(d) A church picnic.
7. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
(a) He locked him in with a tomcat.
(b) He would leave him there alone in the middle of the night.
(c) He told him the hole will swallow him up.
(d) He would make him close the door to darkness.
8. What is the story of the widow's mite?
(a) A widowed woman who takes in poor children.
(b) A woman who shuns the church because her husband dies.
(c) A poor woman who gave to the temple and God recognized the gift.
(d) A woman who is infested with bugs.
9. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
(a) The music.
(b) The religion.
(c) The scenery.
(d) The clothing.
10. What did the redbird do that makes Rick question life?
(a) It flew into a glass door.
(b) It hurled itself into a pool.
(c) It threw its baby from the nest.
(d) It attacked its own reflection.
11. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She lied about his stealing.
(b) She came at him with a knife.
(c) She hit one of his children.
(d) She told the police he made likker.
12. What did Charlie tell Margaret about going back to her husband when she came home for the second time?
(a) She could go back, but not with her son.
(b) She should never go back.
(c) If she went back, Charlie would kill him.
(d) She must be obedient to her husband.
13. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(b) Reading The Bible.
(d) TV preachers.
14. What happened to Mark in 1965 from which his father saved him?
(a) He fell in through an icy pond.
(b) He fell out of a tree.
(c) He was bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) He was hit by a truck.
15. What bet did Uncle Jimbo win for twenty dollars?
(a) He ate a bologna sandwich while sitting on a dead donkey.
(b) He painted a naked lady on Gracie's car.
(c) He bet Uncle Bill's car will start.
(d) He stole one of grandpa's jugs of whiskey without getting caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
2. What did momma lecture Rick about on the rare occasions that she lectured?
3. How did Rick view his time in high school?
4. What war was Rick's father in?
5. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)