|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was acceptable practice and what was not in the foothills?
(a) Fighting and drinking.
(b) Not to be able to read; not to be able to dance.
(c) Not to be able to read; not to be able to fight.
(d) Beating your childen and missing church.
2. In general, how did Rick Bragg feel about religion as he always had?
(a) He is fervent about it.
(b) He never found the joy of it as he had seen others have.
(c) He believes it is detrimental.
(d) He is apathetic about it.
3. Who came to the city auditorium to talk to the white people of the county?
(a) George Wallace.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Albert Brewer.
(d) Richard Nixon.
4. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
(a) He thought it was a party.
(b) He had no problem with the notion.
(c) He did not think about it one way or another.
(d) He was afraid to go.
5. What happened in the country store when Rick went in to buy drinks while working one summer?
(a) Rick dropped and broke a bottle which he cannot afford.
(b) The proprietor felt sorry for him and gives him a free soda.
(c) Rick was embarrassed because he does not have enough money.
(d) The proprietor accused him of stealing a soda.
6. What did Margaret eat when the children were small?
(a) Only bread.
(b) The scraps from their plates.
(c) What falls to the floor.
(d) What is given to her by others.
7. What was Rick's first course in college?
(b) Creative Writing.
8. How did Charles kill the assassin in Korea?
(a) He strangled him.
(b) He stabbed him.
(c) He shot him.
(d) He drowned him.
9. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
(a) They ran and hid.
(b) They beat him.
(c) They called their grandfather.
(d) They ran to the neighbors.
10. Who drove Margaret to the hospital when she gave birth to Rick?
(a) Aunt Gracie Juanita.
(b) Rick's dad.
(c) Grandma Ava.
(d) Grandpa Charlie.
11. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
(a) Sports news.
(b) Entertainment news.
(d) Local news.
12. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
(b) A nice house.
(c) A new dress.
(d) New shoes.
13. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
(a) To forgive his father.
(b) To make himself feel better.
(c) To record his mother's sacrifices.
(d) To make his brothers feel better.
14. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
(a) That he will leave home and never return.
(b) That he will be stuck working hard for no money.
(c) That he will end up just like his father.
(d) That he will find a good job someday.
15. What did momma lecture Rick about on the rare occasions that she lectured?
(a) False pride.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the redbird do that makes Rick question life?
2. What did Rick see at church that he stated was one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen?
3. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
4. What does Rick say of the errors that occur in his story?
5. Why did Rick run from the police when he was riding the moped?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)