|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rick run from the police when he was riding the moped?
(a) He wanted to be able to brag to his brothers.
(b) He thought it is funny to be chased.
(c) He was afraid momma might cry.
(d) He did not want to be arrested.
2. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) TV preachers.
(b) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(d) Reading The Bible.
3. What trait does Rick believe he inherited from his father?
(a) Quick to anger.
(b) Lack of fear.
(c) Running from his problems.
4. What famous singer did grandma tell Rick that she met before he died?
(a) Perry Como.
(b) Frank Sinatra.
(c) Hank Williams.
(d) Johnny Cash.
5. What sickness killed Rick's father?
6. What kind of a man is Rick's bother, Sam?
(a) Hard drinker and fighter.
(b) Hard worker.
7. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
(a) The clothing.
(b) The religion.
(c) The music.
(d) The scenery.
8. In general, how did Rick Bragg feel about religion as he always had?
(a) He believes it is detrimental.
(b) He never found the joy of it as he had seen others have.
(c) He is fervent about it.
(d) He is apathetic about it.
9. What is the last line of the Prologue?
(a) "Do you hear me, grandma?"
(b) "I forgive you, Papa."
(c) "God help me, Momma, if I am clumsy."
(d) "Forgive me Momma."
10. What did the poor black family down the road do for Rick's family?
(a) They invited them over for dinner.
(b) They brought them bread to eat.
(c) They invited them to their church.
(d) They brought them corn to eat.
11. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She hit one of his children.
(b) She told the police he made likker.
(c) She came at him with a knife.
(d) She lied about his stealing.
12. What did Rick's mother do without so that her boys could have school clothes?
(a) A nice house.
(c) New shoes.
(d) A new dress.
13. Why did Rick tell his family's story?
(a) To record his mother's sacrifices.
(b) To forgive his father.
(c) To make himself feel better.
(d) To make his brothers feel better.
14. When sober, how did Bobby Bragg dress for dinner?
(a) In a full suit.
(b) In overalls.
(c) With a shirt and tie.
(d) In a clean shirt.
15. What happened in the country store when Rick went in to buy drinks while working one summer?
(a) The proprietor felt sorry for him and gives him a free soda.
(b) The proprietor accused him of stealing a soda.
(c) Rick was embarrassed because he does not have enough money.
(d) Rick dropped and broke a bottle which he cannot afford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
2. What life lesson did Rick's mother teach him that he broke when he made fun of a boy for having lice?
3. What was the house like that Rick's father brought them to when Rick was six years old?
4. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
5. What was meant by the quote "didn't have no papers on him."?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)