|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would Bobby Bragg fix his hip when it went out on him?
(a) He would drink a lot of whiskey.
(b) He would have his sons pull his leg.
(c) His wife would pull his leg until it popped back in.
(d) He would go to the doctor.
2. What did Rick write in the Jacksonville News?
(a) Entertainment news.
(b) Local news.
(c) Sports news.
3. What did Margaret eat when the children were small?
(a) What falls to the floor.
(b) The scraps from their plates.
(c) What is given to her by others.
(d) Only bread.
4. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
(a) Dancing in the kitchen.
(c) Making cookies.
(d) Listening to the radio in bed with her.
5. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She came at him with a knife.
(b) She hit one of his children.
(c) She lied about his stealing.
(d) She told the police he made likker.
6. When did the boys stop fighting with each other?
(a) When momma hits them with a hickory branch.
(b) When one of them gets hurt.
(c) When momma yells.
(d) When momma cries.
7. What does Rick say about the book being called a memoir?
(a) He finds it appropriate.
(b) It is too fancy a name for him.
(c) It makes him proud.
(d) He thinks it is wrongly named.
8. How did the weather make the war worse in Korea?
(a) It was terribly windy.
(b) It was boiling hot.
(c) It was always raining.
(d) It was freezing cold.
9. Why did Sam become the school's janitor according to Rick?
(a) Because he was not smart enough to do anything else.
(b) Because he never wanted to be anything else.
(c) Because they never taught him that he had other opportunities.
(d) Because he never learned to read.
10. What was Rick's first course in college?
(c) Creative Writing.
11. Who went to Charles's funeral?
(a) Only the three boys.
(b) Momma and the three boys.
(c) Only Rick.
(d) Only momma.
12. How did Charles kill the assassin in Korea?
(a) He strangled him.
(b) He stabbed him.
(c) He shot him.
(d) He drowned him.
13. What did the redbird do that makes Rick question life?
(a) It hurled itself into a pool.
(b) It threw its baby from the nest.
(c) It flew into a glass door.
(d) It attacked its own reflection.
14. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
(a) He fell into the hole in the outhouse and broke his arm.
(b) He sucked a plastic berry up his nose.
(c) He fell out of a tree and broke his leg.
(d) He punched his brother and broke his hand.
15. What did Sam and Rick do to their father on the night he attempted to hit Rick?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They ran and hid.
(c) They ran to the neighbors.
(d) They called their grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sam torture Rick in the outhouse?
2. What did NOT change in Rick's parents' world as the times change?
3. In 1971 what did the fraternity do at Christmas?
4. What is the last line of the Prologue?
5. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)