|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What payment was most likely used for the doctor who helped give birth to Rick's mother?
(b) Bumdrum's live chickens.
(d) Bumdrum's homemade likker.
2. What was Rick's first course in college?
(a) Creative Writing.
3. How long did Rick have the 1969 convertible?
(a) Six months.
(b) His whole life.
(c) All of high school.
(d) Two weeks.
4. Why was Rick rushed to the hospital as a young boy?
(a) He fell out of a tree and broke his leg.
(b) He fell into the hole in the outhouse and broke his arm.
(c) He punched his brother and broke his hand.
(d) He sucked a plastic berry up his nose.
5. How did Charles kill the assassin in Korea?
(a) He stabbed him.
(b) He strangled him.
(c) He drowned him.
(d) He shot him.
6. What was Rick's mother's response when he asked her if he could write the book?
(a) " Why would you want to tell our story?"
(b) "Tell the truth in it, son."
(c) "Whatever you think best, son."
(d) "Write it; I sat quiet for fifty years."
7. What reason did grandpa Charlie have for shooting a neighbor woman?
(a) She hit one of his children.
(b) She lied about his stealing.
(c) She told the police he made likker.
(d) She came at him with a knife.
8. How did Charles feel about going to Korea to kill soldiers?
(a) He had no problem with the notion.
(b) He did not think about it one way or another.
(c) He thought it was a party.
(d) He was afraid to go.
9. Where did Margaret get her religion from?
(a) Reading The Bible.
(b) A pastor comes to visit her every Sunday.
(c) TV preachers.
10. What did Margaret expect Rick's father to do after she poured his whiskey down the drain?
(a) Stop drinking.
(b) Hit her.
(c) Find more likker.
11. What does Rick regret about his grandfather?
(a) That he didn't do better by his daughter.
(b) That he wasn't there when he shot a woman through her breasts.
(c) That he never met him.
(d) That he wasn't harder on his father.
12. Why were the Bragg boys "usual suspects" in the John Sparks case?
(a) Because they were always getting in trouble.
(b) Because the police did not like their father.
(c) Because they were poor and lived close by.
(d) Because they often stuck up for black people.
13. What did Grandma Ab do the last time her grandchildren drove away with their father and mother?
(a) She ran out into the middle of the road and stared.
(b) She begged Rick's father to leave them be.
(c) She held onto Rick and won't let go.
(d) She screamed and cried for them not to leave.
14. What did Rick's father teach him that helped him get to his job as a reporter even though many saw him as a loser?
(a) To fight dirty.
(b) To never take nothin' form nobody.
(c) To get what you want out of life.
(d) To work hard.
15. What war was Rick's father in?
(b) World War II.
(c) Dessert Strom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rick Bragg mostly write about as a reporter?
2. What memory does Rick recall of his grandmother and himself when he was five?
3. What instrument did Rick's grandmother play?
4. What did Rick and Uncle Ed both acknowledge early on about Rick's future?
5. How old was Charles when he died?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)