|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
2. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
3. How many other researchers had conducted studies in the Flats during the decade in which Stack conducted her study?
4. Who wrote "The Souls of Black Folk"?
5. What percentage of the black population in Jackson Harbor is unemployed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
2. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
3. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
4. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
5. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
6. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
7. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
8. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
9. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
10. How do people in the Flats involve others in their daily lives?
Essay Topic 1
Parental roles in the Flats can extend to many people beyond the natural mother and father. Discuss how the parental roles are determined and who can hold these roles.
Essay Topic 2
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 3
Many who viewed themselves as leaders in the black community were highly regarded by those in the white community, but looked down on in their own community. Why was this?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)