|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does AFDC stand for?
2. How many families was Stack introduced to in the beginning of her study?
3. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
4. What was the main goal of the black activist organization in the Flats?
5. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
2. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
3. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
4. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
5. What types of questions did Stack develop for her assistants to ask?
6. What were the causes that the black community was fighting for?
7. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
8. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
9. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
10. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss whether or not Stack was able to be accepted within the community.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)