|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does AFDC stand for?
2. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
3. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
4. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
5. According to Stack, what common belief do most studies of blacks reinforce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
2. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
3. How did bias affect Stack's study?
4. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
5. Why is temporary child exchange seen as a sign of trust?
6. How do people in the Flats involve others in their daily lives?
7. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
8. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
9. What types of things do those in the Flats swap?
10. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 2
What does Stack say is the conflict between having a black identity and trying to live the American dream?
Essay Topic 3
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)