|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Souls of Black Folk"?
2. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
3. What is Leo Jackson's job?
4. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
5. How was the person that Ruby traded corn bread and greens with related to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
2. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
3. What types of things do those in the Flats swap?
4. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
5. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
6. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
7. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
8. How do people in the Flats involve others in their daily lives?
9. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
10. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that the AFDC plays in keeping people from developing strong relationships between men and women.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss whether or not Stack was able to be accepted within the community.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)