|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
2. How was the person that Ruby traded corn bread and greens with related to her?
3. How many assistants did Stack have helping her with her study?
4. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
5. Who said that without the help of kin a family may not be able to survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
2. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
3. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
4. How did bias affect Stack's study?
5. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
6. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
7. What was Stack trying to learn about the exchange system in the Flats?
8. How do people in the Flats involve others in their daily lives?
9. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
10. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from "All Our Kin" discuss whether it is possible for those in the Flats to change their society from within.
Essay Topic 2
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
Essay Topic 3
Parental roles in the Flats can extend to many people beyond the natural mother and father. Discuss how the parental roles are determined and who can hold these roles.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)