|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did residents of the Flats refer to by their surnames?
2. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
3. What does Stack call the inability to understand and research?
4. What does AFDC stand for?
5. How many children do the Jacksons have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
2. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
3. What types of questions did Stack develop for her assistants to ask?
4. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
5. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
6. What was Stack trying to learn about the exchange system in the Flats?
7. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
8. Why is temporary child exchange seen as a sign of trust?
9. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
10. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that joblessness plays in the lives of the black community in the Flats.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)