|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
2. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
3. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
4. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
5. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
2. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
3. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
4. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
5. How did bias affect Stack's study?
6. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
7. What types of things do those in the Flats swap?
8. What were the causes that the black community was fighting for?
9. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
10. What was Stack trying to learn about the exchange system in the Flats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says are the differences between kin and family.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss whether or not Stack was able to be accepted within the community.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)