|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
2. What kin did people in the Flats feel most obligated to?
3. How many families was Stack introduced to in the beginning of her study?
4. How did Stack come in contact with the families she studied?
5. According to Stack's findings, at what age do most blacks no longer have most of their original teeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did bias affect Stack's study?
2. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
3. What types of questions did Stack develop for her assistants to ask?
4. What were the causes that the black community was fighting for?
5. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
6. Why is temporary child exchange seen as a sign of trust?
7. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
8. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
9. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
10. What types of things do those in the Flats swap?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not the black community in the Flats was able to successfully live apart from the white community. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)