|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many families was Stack introduced to in the beginning of her study?
2. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
3. What is the title of William Ryan's book?
4. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
5. How did Stack protect the identities of those she interviewed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
2. Although those in the black community have similar values to those in the white community they are unable to attain the same things. Why is that?
3. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
4. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
5. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
6. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
7. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
8. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
9. What types of questions did Stack develop for her assistants to ask?
10. According to Stack, what is involved in the process of biculturation?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says are the differences between kin and family.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)