|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another term for welfare?
2. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
3. What is the name of Stack's son?
4. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
5. Who was the first family that Stack met in the Flats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
2. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
3. What was Stack trying to learn about the exchange system in the Flats?
4. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
5. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
6. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
7. What is the Jackson families' economic situation like?
8. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
9. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
10. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Stack say is the conflict between having a black identity and trying to live the American dream?
Essay Topic 2
Many who viewed themselves as leaders in the black community were highly regarded by those in the white community, but looked down on in their own community. Why was this?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)