Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another term for welfare?
2. Where did Stack meet the girl that introduced her to the families in the Flats?
3. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
4. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
5. What affects a person's perception?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
2. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
3. According to Stack, what is involved in the process of biculturation?
4. How did bias affect Stack's study?
5. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
6. According to Stack, how do those in the Flats view marriage?
7. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
8. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
9. According to Stack, How do relationships with kin complicate relationships with boyfriends or girlfriends?
10. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the housing situation in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)