|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
2. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
3. Who was the second family that Stack met in the Flats?
4. What affects a person's perception?
5. What are 63% of the black citizens in Jackson Harbor employed as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
2. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
3. How did bias affect Stack's study?
4. What was Stack's purpose in writing this book?
5. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
6. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
7. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
8. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
9. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
10. What is the Jackson families' economic situation like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parental roles in the Flats can extend to many people beyond the natural mother and father. Discuss how the parental roles are determined and who can hold these roles.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says are the differences between kin and family.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)