|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the US Census, what percent of black deaths in 1965 were caused by diseases of infancy?
2. What didn't Ruby believe in?
3. How long did it take for Magnolia and Calvin Waters inheritance to be spent?
4. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
5. What is the population of Jackson Harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
2. How did bias affect Stack's study?
3. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
4. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
5. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
6. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
7. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
8. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
9. What is the Jackson families' economic situation like?
10. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
Essay Topic 2
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says are the differences between kin and family.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)