|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
2. According to Stack, what common belief do most studies of blacks reinforce?
3. How often did kin exchange items and services?
4. How did people in the Flats increase their social circle?
5. What does the relationship of a researcher and his subjects resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
2. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
3. How did bias affect Stack's study?
4. What was Stack trying to learn about the exchange system in the Flats?
5. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
6. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
7. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
8. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
9. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
10. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact that joblessness plays in the lives of the black community in the Flats.
Essay Topic 2
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 3
There is a common belief that the American society requires having a group of unemployed workers. Discuss why this is, using examples from the book.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)