|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the person that Ruby traded corn bread and greens with related to her?
2. When did Stack's book on the migration of blacks to the north get published?
3. Who writes about "kindred being an ego-centered group"?
4. What didn't Ruby believe in?
5. How many years did Stack live in the Flats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
2. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
3. How did bias affect Stack's study?
4. Why is temporary child exchange seen as a sign of trust?
5. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
6. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
7. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
8. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
9. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
10. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the housing situation in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Many who viewed themselves as leaders in the black community were highly regarded by those in the white community, but looked down on in their own community. Why was this?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)