|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Stack's son?
2. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
3. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
4. What is the name of the girl that Stack became very close to in the Flats?
5. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
2. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
3. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
4. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
5. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
6. What types of questions did Stack develop for her assistants to ask?
7. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
8. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
9. Why is temporary child exchange seen as a sign of trust?
10. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
Essay Topic 2
Parental roles in the Flats can extend to many people beyond the natural mother and father. Discuss how the parental roles are determined and who can hold these roles.
Essay Topic 3
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)