|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Stack begin her study?
2. In what part of the country is the Flats located?
3. How did people in the Flats refer to their friends and neighbors?
4. Who wrote the book "Method and Measurement in Sociology"?
5. How does the US Census classify Jackson Harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
2. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
3. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
4. What is health care like in the Flats?
5. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
6. What types of things do those in the Flats swap?
7. What was Stack trying to learn about the exchange system in the Flats?
8. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
9. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
10. What were the causes that the black community was fighting for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "All Our Kin" discuss whether it is possible for those in the Flats to change their society from within.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)