|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are 63% of the black citizens in Jackson Harbor employed as?
2. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
3. What connects Jackson Harbor to Chicago?
4. Why did those in the Flats need cooperative support?
5. What type of people did researchers establish contact with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
2. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
3. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
4. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
5. According to Stack, what role does respect play in a person having rights to another person's child?
6. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
7. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
8. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
9. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
10. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 2
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says about the stereotypes that were placed on blacks. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)