|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a family with both a mother and father called?
2. How do those being studied in a community usually view a researcher?
3. What causes the poor to create ways to cope with circumstances out of their control?
4. How did Stack come in contact with the families she studied?
5. According to government statistics, what prevents people from escaping poverty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
2. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
3. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
4. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
5. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
6. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
7. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
8. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
9. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
10. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many who viewed themselves as leaders in the black community were highly regarded by those in the white community, but looked down on in their own community. Why was this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Stack says are the differences between kin and family.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the status of health care in the Flats when "All Our Kin" was written.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)