|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did researchers usually establish their first contacts with?
2. In what decade did Stack begin her study?
3. According to Stack's findings, at what age do most blacks no longer have most of their original teeth?
4. How often did kin exchange items and services?
5. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of questions did Stack develop for her assistants to ask?
2. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
3. How did bias affect Stack's study?
4. What is health care like in the Flats?
5. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
6. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
7. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
8. What was Stack's purpose in writing this book?
9. What was Stack trying to learn about the exchange system in the Flats?
10. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many who viewed themselves as leaders in the black community were highly regarded by those in the white community, but looked down on in their own community. Why was this?
Essay Topic 2
What does Stack say is the conflict between having a black identity and trying to live the American dream?
Essay Topic 3
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)