|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ruby do with the rest of the AFDC money?
2. How long did it take for Magnolia and Calvin Waters inheritance to be spent?
3. Where did the Waters family live before moving to the Flats?
4. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
5. Why did Stack change names and locations in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of questions did Stack develop for her assistants to ask?
2. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
3. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
4. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
5. How do people in the Flats involve others in their daily lives?
6. Why is temporary child exchange seen as a sign of trust?
7. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
8. What did Stack want to learn about the families that she studied?
9. What types of things do those in the Flats swap?
10. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many who viewed themselves as leaders in the black community were highly regarded by those in the white community, but looked down on in their own community. Why was this?
Essay Topic 2
Swapping plays a very important role in the Flats. Describe why swapping was such a necessary part of life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)