|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Waters family live before moving to the Flats?
2. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
3. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
4. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
5. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
2. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
3. Why did Stack feel that it was important to find average citizens of the Flats to study?
4. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
5. What is health care like in the Flats?
6. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
7. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
8. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
9. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
10. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the housing situation in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There is a common belief that the American society requires having a group of unemployed workers. Discuss why this is, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)