|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
2. How much of the AFDC money did Ruby give her mom?
3. How much money did the AFDC send Ruby to get a new couch?
4. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
5. According to Stack, what common belief do most studies of blacks reinforce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
2. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
3. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
4. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
5. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
6. What was Stack's purpose in writing this book?
7. In the Flats many people do not seek treatment from a doctor, why is this?
8. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
9. What was Stack's housing situation like in the Flats?
10. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss how mainstream culture prevents those in the Flats from getting ahead.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Stack says about how "pigeonholing" black families into white ideals affects how they are viewed? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)