|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the age range of most of the adults Stack studied?
2. What causes a necessity for exchanging things and services in the Flats?
3. What parts of life in the Flats are completely intertwined?
4. How was Stack's car a hindrance to her?
5. What percentage of Jackson Harbor's population is black?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stack define family in the Flats?
2. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
3. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
4. What is health care like in the Flats?
5. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
6. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
7. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
8. How were nicknames developed in the Flats?
9. How do people in the Flats feel about sacrificing what they have for their kin?
10. What types of people did Stack focus her study on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that joblessness plays in the lives of the black community in the Flats.
Essay Topic 3
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)