|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most common thing those in the black community experienced when interacting with a white person?
2. What is the necessary income for a family of four in Jackson Harbor?
3. According to the US Census what percent of blacks live in deteriorating housing?
4. What does William Ryan say causes the deterioration of most black families?
5. How was the person that Ruby traded corn bread and greens with related to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to residents of the Flats, what is a grandparental right?
2. What were the causes that the black community was fighting for?
3. According to Stack, how does a temporary child care situation become a permanent transfer of parental rights to the person watching the child?
4. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
5. According to Chapter 6, what determines which household a person is a part of?
6. How did bias affect Stack's study?
7. What happened when the home that Sam Summer was living in had a leaky gas line?
8. How did most researchers find the subjects that they studied?
9. What is day-to-day life like in the Jackson household?
10. What is child keeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "All Our Kin" discuss whether it is possible for those in the Flats to change their society from within.
Essay Topic 3
Domestic networks can be very complex. Discuss the complexities of the domestic networks. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)