|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people in the Flats want to expand their group of kin?
2. Why did Ruby Banks feel an obligation to always swap with her mother?
3. What is a family called when a mother is the head?
4. What is a symbol of trust in the Flats?
5. What percent of blacks live in unfit housing according to the US Census?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the communities' view of people who borrow things from others and don't lend things in return?
2. Why were two black men in the community murdered by white policeman?
3. Why does swapping play such an important role in the Flats?
4. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
5. What types of questions did Stack develop for her assistants to ask?
6. How do those in the Flats cope with the lack of privacy?
7. What was Stack's purpose in writing this book?
8. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
9. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
10. How do people in the Flats involve others in their daily lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social networks in the Flats. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What does Stack say is the conflict between having a black identity and trying to live the American dream?
Essay Topic 3
Stack's study was much different than other studies conducted in the Flats. Discuss why her research methods were so much different.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)