|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stack, what do most studies of the poor black communities not acknowledge?
2. What affects a person's perception?
3. What was Julia's cousin's name?
4. How were those who claimed to be the black leaders of the Flats viewed in their community?
5. What was the goal of the spokesmen in the Flats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is health care like in the Flats?
2. What was Stack's purpose in writing this book?
3. How did bias affect Stack's study?
4. Why do people in the Flats say, "you have to have help from everybody and anybody"?
5. How is swapping among family members different than casual swapping among people who are not kin?
6. What were the causes that the black community was fighting for?
7. How did Stack use her assistants to gather data?
8. What was Stack's first year in the Flats like?
9. Why is it argued that the economic model of the US is dependent on low-skilled and low-wage workers?
10. How did Stack conduct the interviews that she personally handled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a common belief that the American society requires having a group of unemployed workers. Discuss why this is, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book discuss whether or not Stack was able to be accepted within the community.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Stack feel that it was important to develop contacts in the community on her own and not go through middlemen?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)