|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Otis stay with Ruby's uncle?
(a) Three months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
2. For how long did Violet leave her children with her relative?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two months.
(d) Seven months.
3. What female family member did Georgia and her children live with?
(a) Aunt Ethel.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Aunt Wilma.
4. When 188 mothers were surveyed on who they would choose to raise their children if they died, who was the second choice?
(a) The maternal grandmother.
(b) Another maternal family member.
(c) The child's father or his mother.
(d) A maternal aunt.
5. How old was Loretta when she went to live with her mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were living in Lydia Watson's home when her sisters family moved in?
2. How old was Ruby Banks?
3. According to Stack, how did people in the Flats acquire kin?
4. Who did Terence Platt live with when he was a child?
5. Who wrote that "the job fails the man, and the man fails the job"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Stack, who can be considered members of a child's network of kin?
2. According to Stack, how do women in the Flats typically view men?
3. What is Otis's relationship with his children like?
4. What occurrences in the Flats force people to move almost constantly?
5. What happened in Julia and Elliot's life when Elliot lost his job?
6. What happened when the AFDC learned of Magnolia's inheritance from her uncle?
7. What is child keeping?
8. What is the response in the black community to the difficulties that mothers in poverty have?
9. According to Stack, what circumstances would cause a family to split up?
10. What is the life of Magnolia's sister Lydia like?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)