|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were James the less and Joses?
2. Why did Elisabeth not want to name her baby after Zacharias?
3. What was the name of Salome's husband?
4. What name did legend give the woman with the issue of blood?
5. What businesswoman from Philippi was the first Christian convert in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fact that so many of the women mentioned in the Bible were never named indicate about the role of women in ancient Hebrew society?
2. Who was Keturah?
3. What encounters did Mary and Martha and their brother Lazarus have with Christ?
4. How did Christ usually heal people, and what was different about the way he healed the Syro-Phoenician woman's daughter?
5. What role did Philip's daughters have in their father's ministry?
6. What illness did Simon Peter's mother-in-law develop, and how did Jesus heal her?
7. How did Jesus heal the woman with the spirit of infirmity?
8. What message did the angel Gabriel give Zacharias and his wife Elisabeth, and what happened to Zacharias when he didn't believe the angel's message?
9. How did Christ's encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well illustrate the universality of God's love?
10. What was Elisabeth's relationship to Mary the mother of Jesus, and what parallels did each woman have in the birth of their children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in the Bible as daughters, wives, mothers, and widows. What did these traditional female roles depict about Middle Eastern society during biblical times and the status of women in that society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the daughters of Zelophedad and their fight to inherit their father's property during an era in which women had no property rights. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the qualities of a virtuous woman listed in the book of Proverbs and discussed by Edith Deen in her book All the Women of the Bible. Give two examples of women in the Bible who exemplified these virtues and two examples of women in the Bible who did not exemplify these virtues.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)