|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was Sapphira married?
2. What famous son did Manoah's wife bear?
3. What was Sapphira's greatest sin?
4. Why did the Samaritan woman think it unusual for Jesus to talk with her?
5. From where did the name Mary Magdalene originate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Dorcas, and what miracle did Peter perform for her?
2. What was Elisabeth's relationship to Mary the mother of Jesus, and what parallels did each woman have in the birth of their children?
3. What ailment did the Syro-Phoenician woman's daughter have, and why did Christ initially rebuff her request to heal her daughter?
4. What does the fact that so many of the women mentioned in the Bible were never named indicate about the role of women in ancient Hebrew society?
5. What message did the angel Gabriel give Zacharias and his wife Elisabeth, and what happened to Zacharias when he didn't believe the angel's message?
6. Who was Ahinoam?
7. From what affliction did Christ heal Mary Magdalene, and what other possible explanation does Edith Deen say commentators have given for this affliction?
8. What role did Mary, the mother of James and Joses, have in Christ's life and ministry?
9. How did Christ usually heal people, and what was different about the way he healed the Syro-Phoenician woman's daughter?
10. What miracle did Elisha perform with a poor widow's oil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Eve and Mary, the mother of Christ, as archetypes for motherhood. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Abraham's relationship with Sarah and her son with his relationship with Hagar and her son. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)