|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Jewish prophet was beheaded by Herod, ruler of Galilee?
2. What prophet multiplied the oil of an impoverished widow who had an unpaid debt for which her creditors wanted her to sell her sons as slaves?
3. What was Mary Magdalene the first woman to see after Christ's death?
4. What request did Salome make of Jesus?
5. What healed the woman with the issue of blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Christ usually heal people, and what was different about the way he healed the Syro-Phoenician woman's daughter?
2. What request did Salome, the mother of James and John, make of Christ, and what surprising answer did Christ give her?
3. What miracle did Elisha perform with a poor widow's oil?
4. Who was Herodias, and what role did she have in the death of John the Baptist?
5. From what affliction did Christ heal Mary Magdalene, and what other possible explanation does Edith Deen say commentators have given for this affliction?
6. Who was Lydia, and what was her role in the early church?
7. What encounters did Mary and Martha and their brother Lazarus have with Christ?
8. Who was Ahinoam?
9. How did Christ's encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well illustrate the universality of God's love?
10. How was Claudia honored by the Greek Orthodox Church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast at least three of the following queens: Queen Jezebel, Queen Athaliah, Queen Vashti, the Queen of Sheba and Queen Herodias. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast any three of the women healed by Christ in the New Testament. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women in the Bible as daughters, wives, mothers, and widows. What did these traditional female roles depict about Middle Eastern society during biblical times and the status of women in that society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)