|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town did Mary and Martha live?
2. What were the names of Elkanah's two wives?
3. Who does Edith Deen say that the "daughters of men" mentioned in Genesis 6:2 may be?
4. What businesswoman from Philippi was the first Christian convert in Europe?
5. What happened to Sapphira and her husband when their dishonest act was discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in the Bible as daughters, wives, mothers, and widows. What did these traditional female roles depict about Middle Eastern society during biblical times and the status of women in that society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of polygamy in the Old Testament using at least three of the following men and their wives as examples: Lamech, Jacob, Elkanah, King David, and King Solomon. How did the practice of polygamy affect women? How did the practice of polygamy affect children and their ability to inherit? In what ways was polygamy a metaphor for idolatry? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Esther, Ruth, and Rebekah. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)