|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Jewish prophet was beheaded by Herod, ruler of Galilee?
2. In what town did Mary and Martha live?
3. How long did the woman with the spirit of infirmity have her condition before Jesus healed her?
4. What did Jesus' disciples do when the Syro-Phoenician woman asked Jesus to heal her daughter?
5. What was the name of John Mark's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Lydia, and what was her role in the early church?
2. What does the fact that so many of the women mentioned in the Bible were never named indicate about the role of women in ancient Hebrew society?
3. How did Christ's encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well illustrate the universality of God's love?
4. What role did Philip's daughters have in their father's ministry?
5. What was Elisabeth's relationship to Mary the mother of Jesus, and what parallels did each woman have in the birth of their children?
6. What message did the angel Gabriel give Zacharias and his wife Elisabeth, and what happened to Zacharias when he didn't believe the angel's message?
7. How did a dream about Christ affect Pontius Pilate's wife Claudia, and what did she advise her husband to do as a result?
8. Who was Keturah?
9. What encounters did Mary and Martha and their brother Lazarus have with Christ?
10. How was Claudia honored by the Greek Orthodox Church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Esther, Ruth, and Rebekah. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of polygamy in the Old Testament using at least three of the following men and their wives as examples: Lamech, Jacob, Elkanah, King David, and King Solomon. How did the practice of polygamy affect women? How did the practice of polygamy affect children and their ability to inherit? In what ways was polygamy a metaphor for idolatry? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the daughters of Zelophedad and their fight to inherit their father's property during an era in which women had no property rights. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)