|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Jemima?
2. Who was the mother of King Joash of Judah?
3. What Jewish prophet was beheaded by Herod, ruler of Galilee?
4. What was the name of the wife of Cleophas?
5. Who was the first person to proclaim Jesus as the Christ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Herodias, and what role did she have in the death of John the Baptist?
2. What miracle did Elisha perform with a poor widow's oil?
3. Who was Dorcas, and what miracle did Peter perform for her?
4. What illness did Simon Peter's mother-in-law develop, and how did Jesus heal her?
5. What encounters did Mary and Martha and their brother Lazarus have with Christ?
6. What role did Philip's daughters have in their father's ministry?
7. What did Mary Magdalene encounter at Christ's tomb?
8. What request did Salome, the mother of James and John, make of Christ, and what surprising answer did Christ give her?
9. How did Sapphira and her husband Ananias try to deceive the early church, and what was their greatest sin?
10. What ailment did the Syro-Phoenician woman's daughter have, and why did Christ initially rebuff her request to heal her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tamar, Lot's daughters, Sarah and Hannah as examples of the importance of motherhood in Middle Eastern society during the Bible era. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of women in the Bible as daughters, wives, mothers, and widows. What did these traditional female roles depict about Middle Eastern society during biblical times and the status of women in that society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of polygamy in the Old Testament using at least three of the following men and their wives as examples: Lamech, Jacob, Elkanah, King David, and King Solomon. How did the practice of polygamy affect women? How did the practice of polygamy affect children and their ability to inherit? In what ways was polygamy a metaphor for idolatry? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)