|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prophet multiplied the oil of an impoverished widow who had an unpaid debt for which her creditors wanted her to sell her sons as slaves?
2. What was the name of the wife of Cleophas?
3. What Philistine woman lured Samson to ruin?
4. How many daughters did the evangelist Philip have?
5. How many concubines did King David have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request did Salome, the mother of James and John, make of Christ, and what surprising answer did Christ give her?
2. How did Christ's encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well illustrate the universality of God's love?
3. What did the wise woman of Tekoah influence King David to do?
4. Who was Lydia, and what was her role in the early church?
5. Who was Dorcas, and what miracle did Peter perform for her?
6. What role did Mary, the mother of James and Joses, have in Christ's life and ministry?
7. How was Claudia honored by the Greek Orthodox Church?
8. What miracle did Elisha perform with a poor widow's oil?
9. What does the fact that so many of the women mentioned in the Bible were never named indicate about the role of women in ancient Hebrew society?
10. How did a dream about Christ affect Pontius Pilate's wife Claudia, and what did she advise her husband to do as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of polygamy in the Old Testament using at least three of the following men and their wives as examples: Lamech, Jacob, Elkanah, King David, and King Solomon. How did the practice of polygamy affect women? How did the practice of polygamy affect children and their ability to inherit? In what ways was polygamy a metaphor for idolatry? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the daughters of Zelophedad and their fight to inherit their father's property during an era in which women had no property rights. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women in the Bible as daughters, wives, mothers, and widows. What did these traditional female roles depict about Middle Eastern society during biblical times and the status of women in that society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)