|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sarah's name before God changed it to Sarah?
2. Who was Zilpah?
3. Who did Rahab hide in her house?
4. When Jacob and his family left Laban's household, who stole Labon's idols?
5. From which of Jochebed's children did the Hebrew priesthood descend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hagar's relationship with Sarah and why did Sarah eventually send Hagar away?
2. Why did Eve's son Cain slay his brother Abel?
3. How did children become an issue of conflict between Rachel and Leah?
4. How did Jacob end up married to Leah when he sought to marry her sister Rachel instead?
5. How did Esther save her uncle Mordecai from a hanging?
6. Why did motherhood become a painful experience for Eve and her female descendants?
7. What was God's promise to Sarah and why did its fulfillment seem impossible?
8. Who was the only woman to rule over Judah, and how did she attain her throne?
9. From what part of Adam's body was Eve made, and what does her creation from this part symbolize about the role of the woman in male/female relationships?
10. How has Mary, the mother of Christ, been honored and revered throughout the ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in the early church. Were women allowed to preach or teach, or was their role a supportive one? Were women in the New Testament allowed a greater leadership role than women during the Old Testament era were? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ruth's relationship with Naomi. How did this relationship parallel the relationship of God with Israel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)