|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Eve's husband respond when she tempted him?
2. What honor did King Ahasuerus give to Esther?
3. How many words in the Old Testament are used to tell the story of Lot's wife?
4. In what country did Esther live?
5. Who wrote a poem about Lot's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities did the book of Proverbs list as the attributes of a virtuous woman?
2. Who was Queen Vashti and how did she anger her husband and lose her throne?
3. How did Jochebed save her infant son's life after Pharoah decreed that all Hebrew male babies should be killed?
4. How did Jacob end up married to Leah when he sought to marry her sister Rachel instead?
5. What was Hagar's relationship with Sarah and why did Sarah eventually send Hagar away?
6. What message did an angel give the virgin Mary?
7. How have poets and artists throughout the ages depicted Eve?
8. What was God's promise to Sarah and why did its fulfillment seem impossible?
9. What lie did Potiphar's wife tell about Joseph?
10. Over what did Miriam disagree with her brother Moses and how did God punish her over this discord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the qualities of a virtuous woman listed in the book of Proverbs and discussed by Edith Deen in her book All the Women of the Bible. Give two examples of women in the Bible who exemplified these virtues and two examples of women in the Bible who did not exemplify these virtues.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Widow of Zarephath and the Shunammite woman, and their experiences with Elijah and Elisha. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)