|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Bilhah?
2. To what famous child did Elisabeth give birth?
3. Who was Isaac?
4. When Jacob and his family left Laban's household, who stole Labon's idols?
5. Why did the daughters of Zelophad think they were entitled to their father's inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jacob end up married to Leah when he sought to marry her sister Rachel instead?
2. Who was Rahab, and how did she help Israel when they came to invade her city?
3. What was Hagar's relationship with Sarah and why did Sarah eventually send Hagar away?
4. How did children become an issue of conflict between Rachel and Leah?
5. From what part of Adam's body was Eve made, and what does her creation from this part symbolize about the role of the woman in male/female relationships?
6. For what did Hannah pray, and what sacrifice did she have to make once God answered her prayers?
7. What role did Mary have in her son's first miracle?
8. What qualities did the book of Proverbs list as the attributes of a virtuous woman?
9. How did Esther save her uncle Mordecai from a hanging?
10. What objects did Rachel steal from her father's house when she left with Jacob, and what did her taking of these objects indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of polygamy in the Old Testament using at least three of the following men and their wives as examples: Lamech, Jacob, Elkanah, King David, and King Solomon. How did the practice of polygamy affect women? How did the practice of polygamy affect children and their ability to inherit? In what ways was polygamy a metaphor for idolatry? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the daughters of Zelophedad and their fight to inherit their father's property during an era in which women had no property rights. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women as temptresses or corrupters of men in the Bible using Eve, Potiphar's wife, and Delilah as examples.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)