|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Hebrew slave worked as the overseer in Potiphar's house?
2. Where did Abraham's servant Eliezer first meet Rebekah?
3. What task did Abraham give Eliezer on behalf of his son, Isaac?
4. How do some scholars explain the siblings of Jesus mentioned in the gospel of Mark?
5. When Tamar's first husband Er died, who did she take as her second husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Christ's encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well illustrate the universality of God's love?
2. What was God's promise to Sarah and why did its fulfillment seem impossible?
3. What role did Mary have in her son's first miracle?
4. How did Rebekah's younger son Jacob steal his father's blessing and inheritance from his older brother Esau?
5. For what did Hannah pray, and what sacrifice did she have to make once God answered her prayers?
6. What illness did Simon Peter's mother-in-law develop, and how did Jesus heal her?
7. What role did Philip's daughters have in their father's ministry?
8. What lie did Potiphar's wife tell about Joseph?
9. What did Edith Deen speculate that the life of Lot's wife was like prior to her demise?
10. What was Elisabeth's relationship to Mary the mother of Jesus, and what parallels did each woman have in the birth of their children?
Essay Topic 1
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of polygamy in the Old Testament using at least three of the following men and their wives as examples: Lamech, Jacob, Elkanah, King David, and King Solomon. How did the practice of polygamy affect women? How did the practice of polygamy affect children and their ability to inherit? In what ways was polygamy a metaphor for idolatry? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Deborah and her role as a judge. Was her judiciary power typical or atypical of women in her era? How did she demonstrate leadership during war? Was her wartime behavior typical or atypical of women in her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,749 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)