|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sarah's relationship to Abraham?
2. Into whose care did Jesus place his mother Mary when he hung on the cross?
3. In what country did Esther live?
4. What creature tempted Eve to disobey God?
5. What was the name of Eve's first son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What natural explanation did Edith Deen provide in All the Women of the Bible for Lot's wife turning into a pillar of salt?
2. What roles did Eve have in Adam's life and how did these roles relate to the roles of women in Jewish society during biblical times?
3. Who was Rahab, and how did she help Israel when they came to invade her city?
4. Over what legal issue did the five daughters of Zelophad appear before Moses and the council, and what important legal precedent did their case set for women in the tribe of Israel?
5. Who was Queen Vashti and how did she anger her husband and lose her throne?
6. For what did Hannah pray, and what sacrifice did she have to make once God answered her prayers?
7. Why did Eve's son Cain slay his brother Abel?
8. How did Jacob end up married to Leah when he sought to marry her sister Rachel instead?
9. When Mary's son Jesus was twelve, what happened during a family trip to Jerusalem for Passover?
10. Why did Simeon and Levi murder their sister Dinah's husband Shechem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the daughters of Zelophedad and their fight to inherit their father's property during an era in which women had no property rights. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of polygamy in the Old Testament using at least three of the following men and their wives as examples: Lamech, Jacob, Elkanah, King David, and King Solomon. How did the practice of polygamy affect women? How did the practice of polygamy affect children and their ability to inherit? In what ways was polygamy a metaphor for idolatry? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)