|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what did Esau sell his birthright?
2. In what country did Esther live?
3. In what country did Potiphar and his wife live?
4. Who was Bilhah?
5. What was the name of Jochebed's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did motherhood become a painful experience for Eve and her female descendants?
2. What role did Mary have in her son's first miracle?
3. How did children become an issue of conflict between Rachel and Leah?
4. What lie did Potiphar's wife tell about Joseph?
5. How did Jacob end up married to Leah when he sought to marry her sister Rachel instead?
6. Why did Simeon and Levi murder their sister Dinah's husband Shechem?
7. Over what legal issue did the five daughters of Zelophad appear before Moses and the council, and what important legal precedent did their case set for women in the tribe of Israel?
8. What objects did Rachel steal from her father's house when she left with Jacob, and what did her taking of these objects indicate?
9. Who was the only woman to rule over Judah, and how did she attain her throne?
10. How did Eliezer select Rebekah to be Isaac's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three of the women healed by Christ in the New Testament. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of polygamy in the Old Testament using at least three of the following men and their wives as examples: Lamech, Jacob, Elkanah, King David, and King Solomon. How did the practice of polygamy affect women? How did the practice of polygamy affect children and their ability to inherit? In what ways was polygamy a metaphor for idolatry? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)