|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tamar's first husband Er died, who did she take as her second husband?
2. What color cord designated Rahab's house to Joshua and his army when they attacked Jericho?
3. What promise did God make to Sarah?
4. What act of Rebekah's did Eliezer think was a sign from God?
5. When Jesus was twelve, where did Mary find him after thinking he was lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What natural explanation did Edith Deen provide in All the Women of the Bible for Lot's wife turning into a pillar of salt?
2. Over what legal issue did the five daughters of Zelophad appear before Moses and the council, and what important legal precedent did their case set for women in the tribe of Israel?
3. What objects did Rachel steal from her father's house when she left with Jacob, and what did her taking of these objects indicate?
4. What lie did Potiphar's wife tell about Joseph?
5. Who was the only woman to rule over Judah, and how did she attain her throne?
6. Who was Queen Vashti and how did she anger her husband and lose her throne?
7. What qualities did the book of Proverbs list as the attributes of a virtuous woman?
8. How did Jochebed save her infant son's life after Pharoah decreed that all Hebrew male babies should be killed?
9. How have poets and artists throughout the ages depicted Eve?
10. What was Hagar's relationship with Sarah and why did Sarah eventually send Hagar away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the daughters of Zelophedad and their fight to inherit their father's property during an era in which women had no property rights. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women as temptresses or corrupters of men in the Bible using Eve, Potiphar's wife, and Delilah as examples.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)