|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the levirate marriage law?
2. How do some scholars explain the siblings of Jesus mentioned in the gospel of Mark?
3. Why did the daughters of Zelophad think they were entitled to their father's inheritance?
4. When Tamar's second husband died, why did she visit her father-in-law in disguise?
5. How many children did Rebekah have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have poets and artists throughout the ages depicted Eve?
2. Why did Simeon and Levi murder their sister Dinah's husband Shechem?
3. From what part of Adam's body was Eve made, and what does her creation from this part symbolize about the role of the woman in male/female relationships?
4. How did Eliezer select Rebekah to be Isaac's wife?
5. How did children become an issue of conflict between Rachel and Leah?
6. How did Jochebed save her infant son's life after Pharoah decreed that all Hebrew male babies should be killed?
7. How has Mary, the mother of Christ, been honored and revered throughout the ages?
8. What objects did Rachel steal from her father's house when she left with Jacob, and what did her taking of these objects indicate?
9. What message did an angel give the virgin Mary?
10. What qualities did the book of Proverbs list as the attributes of a virtuous woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast at least three of the following queens: Queen Jezebel, Queen Athaliah, Queen Vashti, the Queen of Sheba and Queen Herodias. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eve and Mary, the mother of Christ, as archetypes for motherhood. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)