|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country did Esther live?
2. What was Sarah's relationship to Abraham?
3. Who was Isaac?
4. What did an angel tell Lot and his wife to do?
5. What Hebrew slave worked as the overseer in Potiphar's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Over what legal issue did the five daughters of Zelophad appear before Moses and the council, and what important legal precedent did their case set for women in the tribe of Israel?
2. What qualities did the book of Proverbs list as the attributes of a virtuous woman?
3. How did Jacob end up married to Leah when he sought to marry her sister Rachel instead?
4. What objects did Rachel steal from her father's house when she left with Jacob, and what did her taking of these objects indicate?
5. Who was the only woman to rule over Judah, and how did she attain her throne?
6. How has Mary, the mother of Christ, been honored and revered throughout the ages?
7. How did Eliezer select Rebekah to be Isaac's wife?
8. What roles did Eve have in Adam's life and how did these roles relate to the roles of women in Jewish society during biblical times?
9. How did children become an issue of conflict between Rachel and Leah?
10. Why did motherhood become a painful experience for Eve and her female descendants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick any three of the unnamed women or unnamed groups of women in the Bible and discuss their importance, despite their anonymity. What did their unnamed status say about the role of women in Middle Eastern society during Bible times? How might the stories of these women differ if their societies had been matriarchal rather than patriarchal societies?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Marys from the New Testament: Mary the mother of Christ, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of John Mark, and Mary the sister of Martha. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Drusilla and Bernice with Mary and Martha as sisters and in their response to the gospel. What did these pairs of sisters reflect about the importance of women in both the spread of Christianity and the persecution of Christians? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)