|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Eve's first son?
2. What was the name of Eve's husband?
3. When Tamar's first husband Er died, who did she take as her second husband?
4. Who adopted Jochebed's baby after finding him floating in an ark made of bulrushes?
5. For what did Esau sell his birthright?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie did Potiphar's wife tell about Joseph?
2. What two roles did Deborah have that were unusual for women of her era?
3. What objects did Rachel steal from her father's house when she left with Jacob, and what did her taking of these objects indicate?
4. How did Jochebed save her infant son's life after Pharoah decreed that all Hebrew male babies should be killed?
5. What qualities did the book of Proverbs list as the attributes of a virtuous woman?
6. How did children become an issue of conflict between Rachel and Leah?
7. What message did an angel give the virgin Mary?
8. Who was the only woman to rule over Judah, and how did she attain her throne?
9. What was Hagar's relationship with Sarah and why did Sarah eventually send Hagar away?
10. What was Levirate law, and how did Tamar get her due under this law when her father-in-law denied her rights under it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tamar, Lot's daughters, Sarah and Hannah as examples of the importance of motherhood in Middle Eastern society during the Bible era. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of women in the Bible as daughters, wives, mothers, and widows. What did these traditional female roles depict about Middle Eastern society during biblical times and the status of women in that society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in the early church. Were women allowed to preach or teach, or was their role a supportive one? Were women in the New Testament allowed a greater leadership role than women during the Old Testament era were? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)