|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nana Nketsia ask of Maya?
2. Upon his request, what does Maya sing to the Liberian president?
3. What did the Revolutionist Returnees plan in conjunction with Martin Luther King's march in Washington DC?
4. When it is Torvash's turn to tell a story, he talks about a German officer who had a:
5. Why is Maya happy that a tribal leader mistook her national identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Not everything goes well for Maya in Ghana. Give two examples of something that is unexpected or goes wrong for Maya in Ghana. In each case, address the following:
1. How Maya is affected by the experience or turn of events.
2. In what way she suffers or struggles.
3. How she grows or matures from the experience.
Essay Topic 2
Using three specific examples from the book, explain how circumstances beyond Maya Angelou's control shape the course of her life.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)