|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Blacks" is the name of a:
2. How does Maya respond to Sheikhali's final marriage request?
3. In addition to Maya and her friends, who else shows up to take Malcolm X to the airport?
4. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
5. What does Malcolm X say when asked why he came to Ghana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya's friends help shape her attitudes and even her behavior. Explain how Maya's friends in Ghana help her to "grow up" and adjust to life in another country.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples, describe how Maya goes about handling the following:
2. Culture shock.
3. Genuine misunderstandings.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)