|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya cannot accept the invitation by the German man and his wife, but instead suggests what?
2. When Maya takes a trip into the bush and meets with a tribal leader, where does the man think Maya is from?
3. After finishing up in Venice, Maya moves on to:
4. When Malcolm X goes to talk in Accra, he has just completed a pilgrimage to where?
5. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author's usage of feelings, including disappointment, elation, and confusion, adds a broader dimension to the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Maya's friends help shape her attitudes and even her behavior. Explain how Maya's friends in Ghana help her to "grow up" and adjust to life in another country.
Essay Topic 3
Not everything goes well for Maya in Ghana. Give two examples of something that is unexpected or goes wrong for Maya in Ghana. In each case, address the following:
1. How Maya is affected by the experience or turn of events.
2. In what way she suffers or struggles.
3. How she grows or matures from the experience.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)