|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Torvash, whom Maya meets in Germany?
2. Who are some of the actors Maya works with in Europe?
3. "The Blacks" is the name of a:
4. Why does Malcolm X plan to go before the General Assembly of the United Nations?
5. How does Malcolm X respond when a university student asks how he can represent blacks when his skin is so light?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, describe how Maya goes about handling the following:
2. Culture shock.
3. Genuine misunderstandings.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou's idealized view of Africa with the reality of her life in Ghana. How does she come to terms with the gap between fantasy and reality?
Essay Topic 3
Not everything goes well for Maya in Ghana. Give two examples of something that is unexpected or goes wrong for Maya in Ghana. In each case, address the following:
1. How Maya is affected by the experience or turn of events.
2. In what way she suffers or struggles.
3. How she grows or matures from the experience.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)