|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guy do when Maya becomes angry and tries to assert her maternal authority?
2. What does Sheikhali say to Maya regarding her intelligence?
3. Why does Malcolm X refuse to dance during a party in his honor given by the Ghana Press Club?
4. The chapter with Malcolm X sheds tremendous light on Maya's perspectives regarding:
5. The public figure who leaves the Accra hotel at the same time as Malcolm X ends up:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Not everything goes well for Maya in Ghana. Give two examples of something that is unexpected or goes wrong for Maya in Ghana. In each case, address the following:
1. How Maya is affected by the experience or turn of events.
2. In what way she suffers or struggles.
3. How she grows or matures from the experience.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the changes taking place in Ghana with the changes happening in the United States during the time period covered in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe two major conflicts presented in this book. For each conflict, answer the following:
1. Is it internal or external?
2. How does this conflict affect the author?
3. What resources does she tap into to handle the conflict?
4. In the end, is the conflict resolved? If so, how?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)