|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Maya share at Dieter's house?
2. The chapter that deals with Malcolm X underlines what prominent theme in the book?
3. Who listens to Malcolm X when he visits Accra while Maya lives there?
4. How long does the event organized by the Revolutionist Returnees to support MLK's march take place?
5. What is the time difference between Washington DC and Ghana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, describe how Maya goes about handling the following:
2. Culture shock.
3. Genuine misunderstandings.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author's usage of feelings, including disappointment, elation, and confusion, adds a broader dimension to the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)