|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Malcolm X speaks in Accra, what does he say has changed in his attitude towards whites?
2. Who helped Julian Mayfield eat sausages he received from America?
3. Why is Maya happy that a tribal leader mistook her national identity?
4. How does Maya react to Nana Nketsia's request?
5. After Maya tells Malcolm X why she is upset, how does he reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Maya's fierce independence creates both challenges and opportunities for her in Ghana.
Essay Topic 2
Maya's friends help shape her attitudes and even her behavior. Explain how Maya's friends in Ghana help her to "grow up" and adjust to life in another country.
Essay Topic 3
Describe two major conflicts presented in this book. For each conflict, answer the following:
1. Is it internal or external?
2. How does this conflict affect the author?
3. What resources does she tap into to handle the conflict?
4. In the end, is the conflict resolved? If so, how?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)