|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After living in Ghana for a time, why does Maya feel she needs to take a vacation away from this nation?
2. How is Maya treated when she visits a small African village?
3. When Maya brings her guest with her to the home of the German couple, how does the host react?
4. Who helped Julian Mayfield eat sausages he received from America?
5. When Maya confronts her son about his girlfriend, what does he say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author's usage of feelings, including disappointment, elation, and confusion, adds a broader dimension to the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Describe two major conflicts presented in this book. For each conflict, answer the following:
1. Is it internal or external?
2. How does this conflict affect the author?
3. What resources does she tap into to handle the conflict?
4. In the end, is the conflict resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou's idealized view of Africa with the reality of her life in Ghana. How does she come to terms with the gap between fantasy and reality?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)