|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
2. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
3. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
4. Where is Maya's son studying?
5. Who does Kojo remind Maya of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between Guy and Maya when he picks her up from the airport.
2. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
3. What does Maya do in order to look more like Ghanaian women?
4. What are the Revolutionist Returnees trying to help Malcolm X achieve?
5. Does Maya find what she seeks in Africa?
6. What work does Maya find in Ghana?
7. Describe Sheikhali's and Maya's first date.
8. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
9. Why do the Revolutionist Returnees organize a march to the American Embassy?
10. How are the Americans in Ghana regarded following an assassination attempt on the nation's president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Maya's fierce independence creates both challenges and opportunities for her in Ghana.
Essay Topic 2
Shed light on the meaning of the title chosen for this book, "All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes." How does this title apply to the following? Be sure to cite examples from the book:
1. Living in a foreign country.
2. Finding similarities among diverse peoples.
3. Making an effort to meet people where they are.
Essay Topic 3
Readers watch the author grow and evolve as the narration proceeds. Describe two ways in which the author has grown or changed by the end of the story. What major factors contributed to these changes?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)