|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
2. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
3. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
4. After being treated poorly by some in Ghana, Maya wonders what?
5. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Malcolm X?
2. What work does Maya find in Ghana?
3. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
4. What trip does Maya take before leaving Ghana for the United States?
5. What does Maya do in order to look more like Ghanaian women?
6. How do others react to Maya's anger and bitterness following her son's accident?
7. How is Maya treated when she goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office and asks to speak with the person who hires writers?
8. Explain why Kojo's family visits Maya.
9. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
10. Why does Sheikhali believe that he is doing Maya a favor by offering to marry her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail three major themes covered in this book. Describe how the author carries these three themes throughout the narration.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Maya is living in another continent, the Civil Rights Movement taking place in the U.S. remains near and dear to her heart. How does Maya Angelou remain active in and passionate about the Civil Rights Movement even though she's a whole continent away?
Essay Topic 3
Does Maya find what she's looking for in Africa? Explain and elaborate.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)