|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language do Maya and Sheikhali prefer to converse in?
2. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
3. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
4. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
5. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being mistreated and discriminated against by people whose skin color is the same as hers, what does Maya start to theorize?
2. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
3. What changes Maya's plans, causing her to stay in Ghana indefinitely?
4. Who accompanies Maya when she has breakfast with the German couple?
5. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
6. How is Maya treated when she goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office and asks to speak with the person who hires writers?
7. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
8. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
9. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
10. What do Vicki and Alice tell a newly arrived American couple from Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya's friends help shape her attitudes and even her behavior. Explain how Maya's friends in Ghana help her to "grow up" and adjust to life in another country.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the changes taking place in Ghana with the changes happening in the United States during the time period covered in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Maya's fierce independence creates both challenges and opportunities for her in Ghana.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)