Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
2. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
3. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
4. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
5. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. After seeing her son in good spirits and recovering well at the hospital, how does Maya get out of the depression she's been in?
2. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
3. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
4. Why does Maya go to Germany?
5. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
6. How do the Revolutionist Returnees help Malcolm X when he goes to Accra?
7. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
8. What are the Revolutionist Returnees trying to help Malcolm X achieve?
9. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
10. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
Essay Topic 1
Readers watch the author grow and evolve as the narration proceeds. Describe two ways in which the author has grown or changed by the end of the story. What major factors contributed to these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Not everything goes well for Maya in Ghana. Give two examples of something that is unexpected or goes wrong for Maya in Ghana. In each case, address the following:
1. How Maya is affected by the experience or turn of events.
2. In what way she suffers or struggles.
3. How she grows or matures from the experience.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou's idealized view of Africa with the reality of her life in Ghana. How does she come to terms with the gap between fantasy and reality?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)