|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
2. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
3. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
4. What does Maya work on with Efua at the National Theatre?
5. When Maya goes into the Senior Common Room during a break one morning, she hears a group of professors and others discussing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Malcolm X?
2. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
3. Why does Malcolm X go to Ghana?
4. Why do the Revolutionist Returnees organize a march to the American Embassy?
5. What transpires during the meeting Maya has with her son to talk about his girlfriend?
6. What does Maya do in order to look more like Ghanaian women?
7. Who accompanies Malcolm X to the airport?
8. How does Malcolm's encounter with Muhammad Ali go?
9. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
10. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
Essay Topic 1
Not everything goes well for Maya in Ghana. Give two examples of something that is unexpected or goes wrong for Maya in Ghana. In each case, address the following:
1. How Maya is affected by the experience or turn of events.
2. In what way she suffers or struggles.
3. How she grows or matures from the experience.
Essay Topic 2
Describe two major conflicts presented in this book. For each conflict, answer the following:
1. Is it internal or external?
2. How does this conflict affect the author?
3. What resources does she tap into to handle the conflict?
4. In the end, is the conflict resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Maya's friends help shape her attitudes and even her behavior. Explain how Maya's friends in Ghana help her to "grow up" and adjust to life in another country.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)