|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
2. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
3. Why has Kojo's family come from Akwapim to speak with Maya?
4. Which of the following best describes Maya?
5. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Malcolm X?
2. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
3. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
4. Why does Malcolm X go to Ghana?
5. What work does Maya find in Ghana?
6. How do the Revolutionist Returnees help Malcolm X when he goes to Accra?
7. While in Ghana, who does Malcolm X end up meeting with?
8. Explain why Efua tells Maya that Africa is falling apart.
9. What does Maya do in order to look more like Ghanaian women?
10. Why is the first-person point of view especially effective in "All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Readers watch the author grow and evolve as the narration proceeds. Describe two ways in which the author has grown or changed by the end of the story. What major factors contributed to these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou with the following people:
1. Her friend Efua.
2. Her suitor Sheikhali.
3. Civil Rights Movement leader Malcolm X.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)