|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
2. Which of the following best describes Maya?
3. Who is Grace Nuamah?
4. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
5. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who chastises Maya after she erupts in anger in the Senior Common Room?
2. Describe the meeting between Guy and Maya when he picks her up from the airport.
3. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
4. How does Malcolm's encounter with Muhammad Ali go?
5. What transpires during the meeting Maya has with her son to talk about his girlfriend?
6. What happens when Ms. Angelou goes to the office of the "Ghanaian Times" in her search for work?
7. How do Ghanaians in general feel about the black Americans moving to their country?
8. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
9. Why does Maya have a meal with a German couple?
10. Back in Accra, why is Maya taken to the home of Nana Nketsia, a local tribe chief and adviser to the president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Maya find what she's looking for in Africa? Explain and elaborate.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou's idealized view of Africa with the reality of her life in Ghana. How does she come to terms with the gap between fantasy and reality?
Essay Topic 3
Shed light on the meaning of the title chosen for this book, "All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes." How does this title apply to the following? Be sure to cite examples from the book:
1. Living in a foreign country.
2. Finding similarities among diverse peoples.
3. Making an effort to meet people where they are.
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)