|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya's son do after his release from the hospital?
2. To thank Maya for finding her misplaced pay envelope, what does Grace Nuamah do?
3. Following what happens to Maya's son, Efua Sutherland gives her permission to what?
4. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
5. How does Maya regard T.D. Bafoo and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. After seeing her son in good spirits and recovering well at the hospital, how does Maya get out of the depression she's been in?
2. How does Maya react to Kojo's request?
3. Why does Maya decide to return to the United States?
4. Why does Sheikhali believe that he is doing Maya a favor by offering to marry her?
5. Who is Sheikhali?
6. How do Ghanaians in general feel about the black Americans moving to their country?
7. After being mistreated and discriminated against by people whose skin color is the same as hers, what does Maya start to theorize?
8. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
9. When she arrives at Ghana, what is Maya Angelou's intention?
10. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, describe how Maya goes about handling the following:
2. Culture shock.
3. Genuine misunderstandings.
Essay Topic 2
The importance of having a sense of community is a prevalent theme throughout this book.
1. How does Maya convey a sense of community in Ghana? In Germany? In Venice? In Egypt?
2. How does plugging into a community "save" Maya?
Essay Topic 3
Does Maya find what she's looking for in Africa? Explain and elaborate.
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)