|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya and her friends, Vicki and Alice, open up their home for whom?
2. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
3. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
4. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
5. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Comfort, Maya's hairstylist?
2. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
3. How does Maya react to Kojo's request?
4. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
5. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
6. Explain why Kojo's family visits Maya.
7. After being mistreated and discriminated against by people whose skin color is the same as hers, what does Maya start to theorize?
8. Describe who Kojo is.
9. How successful is the march organized by the Revolutionist Returnees?
10. Back in Accra, why is Maya taken to the home of Nana Nketsia, a local tribe chief and adviser to the president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Readers watch the author grow and evolve as the narration proceeds. Describe two ways in which the author has grown or changed by the end of the story. What major factors contributed to these changes?
Essay Topic 2
The importance of having a sense of community is a prevalent theme throughout this book.
1. How does Maya convey a sense of community in Ghana? In Germany? In Venice? In Egypt?
2. How does plugging into a community "save" Maya?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Maya and her son Guy. Would you say they have a healthy relationship? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)