|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being treated poorly by some in Ghana, Maya wonders what?
2. What major movement is happening in the United States while Maya lives in Africa?
3. In Ghana, Maya is invited to an "outdooring." What is an outdooring?
4. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
5. Who does Kojo remind Maya of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
2. What are the Revolutionist Returnees trying to help Malcolm X achieve?
3. What is the mood during the meal when Maya and Torvash talk with Dieter and his wife?
4. How does Maya react to Kojo's request?
5. How is Maya treated when she goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office and asks to speak with the person who hires writers?
6. Why is the first-person point of view especially effective in "All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes?"
7. How successful is the march organized by the Revolutionist Returnees?
8. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
9. Describe who Kojo is.
10. What happens when Ms. Angelou goes to the office of the "Ghanaian Times" in her search for work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Maya's reasons for going to Africa.
1. What does she hope to find there?
2. Where does she end up?
3. Did she intend to live there? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author's usage of feelings, including disappointment, elation, and confusion, adds a broader dimension to the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Even though Maya is living in another continent, the Civil Rights Movement taking place in the U.S. remains near and dear to her heart. How does Maya Angelou remain active in and passionate about the Civil Rights Movement even though she's a whole continent away?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)