|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maya invites her visitors into the living room, she finds that:
2. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
3. How does the receptionist at the Ghana Broadcasting office treat Maya?
4. How does the author feel about discrimination?
5. Who was T.D. Kwesi Bafoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Revolutionist Returnees help Malcolm X when he goes to Accra?
2. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
3. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
4. What emotions surface for Maya when she passes by Cape Coast in Ghana?
5. What changes Maya's plans, causing her to stay in Ghana indefinitely?
6. Describe who Kojo is.
7. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
8. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
9. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
10. How do others react to Maya's anger and bitterness following her son's accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the changes taking place in Ghana with the changes happening in the United States during the time period covered in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Maya and her son Guy. Would you say they have a healthy relationship? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)