|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
2. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
3. After their meal on their first date, Sheikhali takes Maya to a hotel to:
4. After being treated poorly by some in Ghana, Maya wonders what?
5. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
2. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
3. Explain why Kojo's family visits Maya.
4. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
5. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
6. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
7. Back in Accra, why is Maya taken to the home of Nana Nketsia, a local tribe chief and adviser to the president?
8. What changes Maya's plans, causing her to stay in Ghana indefinitely?
9. Describe the meeting between Guy and Maya when he picks her up from the airport.
10. When she arrives at Ghana, what is Maya Angelou's intention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Maya's reasons for going to Africa.
1. What does she hope to find there?
2. Where does she end up?
3. Did she intend to live there? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou with the following people:
1. Her friend Efua.
2. Her suitor Sheikhali.
3. Civil Rights Movement leader Malcolm X.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)