|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
2. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
3. Where does Maya move to with her friends Alice and Vicki?
4. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
5. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Revolutionist Returnees trying to help Malcolm X achieve?
2. What is the mood during the meal when Maya and Torvash talk with Dieter and his wife?
3. Why is the first-person point of view especially effective in "All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes?"
4. Who chastises Maya after she erupts in anger in the Senior Common Room?
5. Why does Maya decide to return to the United States?
6. Why does Malcolm X go to Ghana?
7. Does Maya find what she seeks in Africa?
8. Who accompanies Maya when she has breakfast with the German couple?
9. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
10. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shed light on the meaning of the title chosen for this book, "All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes." How does this title apply to the following? Be sure to cite examples from the book:
1. Living in a foreign country.
2. Finding similarities among diverse peoples.
3. Making an effort to meet people where they are.
Essay Topic 2
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
Essay Topic 3
Readers watch the author grow and evolve as the narration proceeds. Describe two ways in which the author has grown or changed by the end of the story. What major factors contributed to these changes?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)