|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
2. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
3. Which of the following is not a prominent theme in the book?
4. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
5. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ghanaians in general feel about the black Americans moving to their country?
2. Why is the first-person point of view especially effective in "All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes?"
3. While drinking schnapps at Nana Nketsia's home, what do Nana, Maya, and poet Kwesi Brew discuss?
4. How are the Americans in Ghana regarded following an assassination attempt on the nation's president?
5. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
6. Why does Maya go to Germany?
7. How does Malcolm's encounter with Muhammad Ali go?
8. Why does Sheikhali believe that he is doing Maya a favor by offering to marry her?
9. Explain why Kojo's family visits Maya.
10. What important discovery does Maya make at the market in Keta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author's usage of feelings, including disappointment, elation, and confusion, adds a broader dimension to the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Maya's friends help shape her attitudes and even her behavior. Explain how Maya's friends in Ghana help her to "grow up" and adjust to life in another country.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail three major themes covered in this book. Describe how the author carries these three themes throughout the narration.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)