|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
2. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
3. What happens to Maya's son early in the story?
4. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
5. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. After seeing her son in good spirits and recovering well at the hospital, how does Maya get out of the depression she's been in?
2. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
3. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
4. Why does Maya go to Germany?
5. Why doesn't Malcolm X celebrate during a party the Ghana Press Club throws in his honor?
6. How do the Revolutionist Returnees help Malcolm X when he goes to Accra?
7. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
8. What are the Revolutionist Returnees trying to help Malcolm X achieve?
9. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
10. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
Essay Topic 1
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Maya's reasons for going to Africa.
1. What does she hope to find there?
2. Where does she end up?
3. Did she intend to live there? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Not everything goes well for Maya in Ghana. Give two examples of something that is unexpected or goes wrong for Maya in Ghana. In each case, address the following:
1. How Maya is affected by the experience or turn of events.
2. In what way she suffers or struggles.
3. How she grows or matures from the experience.
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)