|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
2. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
3. Who is Julian Mayfield?
4. What does the hairdresser tease Maya about?
5. At the time of the events of this book, who is Kwame Nkrumah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
2. How do Ghanaians in general feel about the black Americans moving to their country?
3. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
4. Why does Maya decide to return to the United States?
5. What important discovery does Maya make at the market in Keta?
6. Why does Malcolm X go to Ghana?
7. After her time in Germany comes to an end, where does Maya travel to?
8. Describe Sheikhali's and Maya's first date.
9. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
10. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Readers watch the author grow and evolve as the narration proceeds. Describe two ways in which the author has grown or changed by the end of the story. What major factors contributed to these changes?
Essay Topic 2
The importance of having a sense of community is a prevalent theme throughout this book.
1. How does Maya convey a sense of community in Ghana? In Germany? In Venice? In Egypt?
2. How does plugging into a community "save" Maya?
Essay Topic 3
Does Maya find what she's looking for in Africa? Explain and elaborate.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)