|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
2. Where is Maya's son studying?
3. Following what happens to Maya's son, Efua Sutherland gives her permission to what?
4. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
5. Efua takes Maya to Aburi, a town near Accra, for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accompanies Malcolm X to the airport?
2. How does Malcolm's encounter with Muhammad Ali go?
3. Why does Maya have a meal with a German couple?
4. Who accompanies Maya when she has breakfast with the German couple?
5. Who are Alice and Vicki?
6. What is the mood during the meal when Maya and Torvash talk with Dieter and his wife?
7. Describe the meeting between Guy and Maya when he picks her up from the airport.
8. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
9. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
10. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the challenges Maya faces as she adjusts to living in Ghana, she experiences times when she feels like an integral, vital part of the extended African community. Pinpoint and describe three instances when the author feels very much a part of Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Does Maya find what she's looking for in Africa? Explain and elaborate.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail three major themes covered in this book. Describe how the author carries these three themes throughout the narration.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)