|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maya refuse Sheikhali's offer?
2. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
3. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
4. After Maya's visit with Efua Sutherland, she goes to the hospital and finds that:
5. What job does Maya's friend, Vicki, get in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sheikhali?
2. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
3. What changes Maya's plans, causing her to stay in Ghana indefinitely?
4. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
5. Who chastises Maya after she erupts in anger in the Senior Common Room?
6. Describe Sheikhali's and Maya's first date.
7. What transpires during the meeting Maya has with her son to talk about his girlfriend?
8. Who are Alice and Vicki?
9. Who accompanies Maya when she has breakfast with the German couple?
10. What is the mood during the meal when Maya and Torvash talk with Dieter and his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, describe how Maya goes about handling the following:
2. Culture shock.
3. Genuine misunderstandings.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the changes taking place in Ghana with the changes happening in the United States during the time period covered in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou's idealized view of Africa with the reality of her life in Ghana. How does she come to terms with the gap between fantasy and reality?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)