|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
2. What language do Maya and Sheikhali prefer to converse in?
3. Maya's steward introduces her to Kojo. Who is Kojo?
4. Why did Maya first go to the office of the Ghanaian Times?
5. In Aburi, Maya and her friend watch a parade where Maya especially enjoys what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ghanaians in general feel about the black Americans moving to their country?
2. When she arrives at Ghana, what is Maya Angelou's intention?
3. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
4. Does Maya find what she seeks in Africa?
5. What transpires during the meeting Maya has with her son to talk about his girlfriend?
6. How do others react to Maya's anger and bitterness following her son's accident?
7. What trip does Maya take before leaving Ghana for the United States?
8. How do the Revolutionist Returnees help Malcolm X when he goes to Accra?
9. How does Malcolm's encounter with Muhammad Ali go?
10. Who are Alice and Vicki?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples, describe how Maya goes about handling the following:
2. Culture shock.
3. Genuine misunderstandings.
Essay Topic 2
Readers watch the author grow and evolve as the narration proceeds. Describe two ways in which the author has grown or changed by the end of the story. What major factors contributed to these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Maya and her son Guy. Would you say they have a healthy relationship? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)