|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kojo's family give Maya?
2. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
3. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
4. What does Sheikhali want Maya to do for his children?
5. At the university, Professor J.H. Nketia is the chairman of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maya have a meal with a German couple?
2. Why do the Revolutionist Returnees organize a march to the American Embassy?
3. After being mistreated and discriminated against by people whose skin color is the same as hers, what does Maya start to theorize?
4. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
5. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
6. Who is Malcolm X?
7. Describe who Kojo is.
8. Describe Sheikhali's and Maya's first date.
9. Who are the "Revolutionist Returnees?"
10. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Maya is living in another continent, the Civil Rights Movement taking place in the U.S. remains near and dear to her heart. How does Maya Angelou remain active in and passionate about the Civil Rights Movement even though she's a whole continent away?
Essay Topic 2
Using three specific examples from the book, explain how circumstances beyond Maya Angelou's control shape the course of her life.
Essay Topic 3
Not everything goes well for Maya in Ghana. Give two examples of something that is unexpected or goes wrong for Maya in Ghana. In each case, address the following:
1. How Maya is affected by the experience or turn of events.
2. In what way she suffers or struggles.
3. How she grows or matures from the experience.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)