|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Maya?
2. How does Maya feel living in Africa?
3. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
4. What else does Professor J.H. Nketia help Maya with?
5. At the start of the story, what is Maya's predominant feeling about what happens to her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya help dance teacher Grace Nuamah, and how does Grace repay Maya?
2. Back in Accra, why is Maya taken to the home of Nana Nketsia, a local tribe chief and adviser to the president?
3. What changes Maya's plans, causing her to stay in Ghana indefinitely?
4. Does Maya find what she seeks in Africa?
5. What does Dieter ask of Maya?
6. Describe the friendship that Maya develops with T.D. Bafoo and his wife.
7. When she arrives at Ghana, what is Maya Angelou's intention?
8. While in Ghana, who does Malcolm X end up meeting with?
9. While drinking schnapps at Nana Nketsia's home, what do Nana, Maya, and poet Kwesi Brew discuss?
10. Describe the thanksgiving feast Maya attends in Aburi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Maya find what she's looking for in Africa? Explain and elaborate.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Maya is living in another continent, the Civil Rights Movement taking place in the U.S. remains near and dear to her heart. How does Maya Angelou remain active in and passionate about the Civil Rights Movement even though she's a whole continent away?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Maya's fierce independence creates both challenges and opportunities for her in Ghana.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)