|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
2. How were Americans regarded in Ghana after an assassination attempt on the Ghanaian president?
3. Maya meets Efua Sutherland, who is head of what?
4. Why did Maya's friend, Vicki, move to Africa from America?
5. Back at the YMCA, what does Maya convince the cook to bring to one of the women dining there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Revolutionist Returnees organize a march to the American Embassy?
2. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
3. When she arrives at Ghana, what is Maya Angelou's intention?
4. Why does Maya have a meal with a German couple?
5. How is Maya treated when she goes to the Ghana Broadcasting office and asks to speak with the person who hires writers?
6. Who accompanies Maya when she has breakfast with the German couple?
7. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
8. What is the mood during the meal when Maya and Torvash talk with Dieter and his wife?
9. What trip does Maya take before leaving Ghana for the United States?
10. Why does Sheikhali believe that he is doing Maya a favor by offering to marry her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Maya and her son Guy. Would you say they have a healthy relationship? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Maya's friends help shape her attitudes and even her behavior. Explain how Maya's friends in Ghana help her to "grow up" and adjust to life in another country.
Essay Topic 3
Readers watch the author grow and evolve as the narration proceeds. Describe two ways in which the author has grown or changed by the end of the story. What major factors contributed to these changes?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)