|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise do T.D. Bafoo and his wife make to Maya?
2. While Maya is at the festival in Aburi, who comes to her table?
3. As an American, how does Maya regard the African culture she is discovering?
4. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
5. Following Maya's reaction to the Senior Common Room discussion, what does the steward do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maya do in order to look more like Ghanaian women?
2. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's ongoing marriage proposals?
3. Who is Malcolm X?
4. Describe Sheikhali's and Maya's first date.
5. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
6. Why does Maya go to Germany?
7. Who are Alice and Vicki?
8. After being mistreated and discriminated against by people whose skin color is the same as hers, what does Maya start to theorize?
9. Who accompanies Maya when she has breakfast with the German couple?
10. What trip does Maya take before leaving Ghana for the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou with the following people:
1. Her friend Efua.
2. Her suitor Sheikhali.
3. Civil Rights Movement leader Malcolm X.
Essay Topic 2
Using three specific examples from the book, explain how circumstances beyond Maya Angelou's control shape the course of her life.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou's idealized view of Africa with the reality of her life in Ghana. How does she come to terms with the gap between fantasy and reality?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)