|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya describe T.D. Bafoo and his wife as a couple?
2. In the Senior Common Room discussion Maya walks into, she hears an Englishman and a Yugoslav woman ridicule what?
3. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
4. As they share a meal at a local restaurant, Sheikhali tells Maya that he was a:
5. This memoir covers the author's life during which time frame?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her time in Germany comes to an end, where does Maya travel to?
2. After seeing her son in good spirits and recovering well at the hospital, how does Maya get out of the depression she's been in?
3. While in Ghana, who does Malcolm X end up meeting with?
4. How are the Americans in Ghana regarded following an assassination attempt on the nation's president?
5. What happens to Comfort, Maya's hairstylist?
6. What rumors does Maya hear that make her worry about her son?
7. How do the Revolutionist Returnees help Malcolm X when he goes to Accra?
8. How do Ghanaians in general feel about the black Americans moving to their country?
9. Describe who Kojo is.
10. Who is Sheikhali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Maya find what she's looking for in Africa? Explain and elaborate.
Essay Topic 2
Describe two major conflicts presented in this book. For each conflict, answer the following:
1. Is it internal or external?
2. How does this conflict affect the author?
3. What resources does she tap into to handle the conflict?
4. In the end, is the conflict resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Even though Maya is living in another continent, the Civil Rights Movement taking place in the U.S. remains near and dear to her heart. How does Maya Angelou remain active in and passionate about the Civil Rights Movement even though she's a whole continent away?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)