|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, Kojo tells Maya that she has visitors waiting in the:
2. A big part of the reason that Maya is in Africa during this time period is to what?
3. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
4. What does Kojo say when Maya explains she has no funds?
5. What gift does Sheikhali send to Maya?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sheikhali?
2. Who accompanies Malcolm X to the airport?
3. While in Ghana, who does Malcolm X end up meeting with?
4. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's ongoing marriage proposals?
5. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
6. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
7. Who is Malcolm X?
8. Back in Accra, why is Maya taken to the home of Nana Nketsia, a local tribe chief and adviser to the president?
9. What do Vicki and Alice tell a newly arrived American couple from Chicago?
10. After seeing her son in good spirits and recovering well at the hospital, how does Maya get out of the depression she's been in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author's usage of feelings, including disappointment, elation, and confusion, adds a broader dimension to the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail three major themes covered in this book. Describe how the author carries these three themes throughout the narration.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maya Angelou with the following people:
1. Her friend Efua.
2. Her suitor Sheikhali.
3. Civil Rights Movement leader Malcolm X.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)