|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Maya explains to the Chicago stockyard worker and his wife that she and her friends are simply trying to prepare the couple for the realities of life in Ghana, what does the couple decide?
2. While watching dancers at the festival in Aburi, what does Maya notice?
3. Why does Alice, Maya's friend, decide to move to Ghana?
4. Why does Maya invite a hairdresser to her home?
5. Where is Maya's son studying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trip does Maya take before leaving Ghana for the United States?
2. What changes Maya's plans, causing her to stay in Ghana indefinitely?
3. How does Maya react in the Senior Common Room when she hears Europeans and Ghanaians making disparaging remarks?
4. Who chastises Maya after she erupts in anger in the Senior Common Room?
5. How does Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's new president, regard the Americans who have moved to his country?
6. What does Maya dislike about Sheikhali?
7. What do Vicki and Alice tell a newly arrived American couple from Chicago?
8. How do Ghanaians in general feel about the black Americans moving to their country?
9. How does Maya react to Sheikhali's marriage proposal?
10. Why does Maya go to Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author's usage of feelings, including disappointment, elation, and confusion, adds a broader dimension to the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author uses the following to create a vivid sense of place:
3. Traditions and celebrations.
Essay Topic 3
Maya's friends help shape her attitudes and even her behavior. Explain how Maya's friends in Ghana help her to "grow up" and adjust to life in another country.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)